Fushigi Yuugi Fan Fiction ❯ A Day for Mitsukake ❯ Rain ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]
day was stormy. Rain had been beating down mercilessly and wouldn’t allow any sunlight through. The thunder was far off, though, letting the abundant water take the stage.

It’s just like the day the flood started, Chichiri thought. He shook his head to shake away a few memories, while the resident healer thought the very same thing.

The day was also long. Between Tasuki burning Tamahome, Tasuki falling off the roof afterwards, and Miaka being underneath him having gone to Tamahome’s aid, Mitsukake was bound to be tired out. He sneezed, and Tama-neko pawed at him, as if to say “Someone’s talking about you.”

“Perhaps someone is,” he stroked his head. “I wonder who injured themselves this time?”

No one came running for him, so he turned off his light and waiting for tomorrow to be a sunnier day.

The next day was indeed sunny, but not for everyone. Tamahome sent stormy glares at the bandit from across the table.

“Jeez, you can’t still be mad at me for playing around a little,” Tasuki sent him an identical glare.

“I think you need to redefine ‘a little’, Tasuki,” he smuggly replied. The bandit slammed his hands on the table and offered to do just that.

“What children,” Nuriko tugged Tasuki back into his seat gently, which of course, was gentle enough to break the chair. “Keep that up and we’ll have to put Mitsukake back to work on you guys.”

“Speaking of,” Chiriko set down his bowl. “Has anyone seen him this morning? He’s awfully late for breakfast.”

Everyone else at the table rolled their eyes back in their heads to try to recall anything. Miaka, though eager to get another helping of breakfast, grew concerned. “That’s not like him. Should we go check on him?”

“If that’s what you wish,” Hotohori continued cutting into his food with regal grace. Sitting in front of him, even food had to look graceful. “I’ll sent a servant right away-”

“No, it’s alright, I’ll go check on him!” chipperly offered the priestess. After all, he was one of her warriors and it was her to duty to take care of her warriors (though normally people would expect the reverse). She skipped down the halls with a very satisfied feeling in her tummy, figuring that he had just slept in a bit.

“Mii-tsuu-kaa-kee~!” she sing-songed at his door. On the inside, Tama-neko heard her calling and pawed at his master’s face with a small meow. Little did the cat expect to be thrown across the room by a pillow. Curious about the sound, Miaka opened the door to examine the little pile of cat against the wall. “Is everything okay in here?”

“Nnngh,” he groaned and opened his eyes. “How bad is it?”

Miaka blinked. “How bad is what? We were just wondering when you were going to join us for breakfast.”

“Breakfast. Right,” he rubbed his eyes. “Go ahead, I’ll be there in a few minutes.”

“Your room is so stuffy,” the priestess observed, and opened a window to let the sunshine is. She stretched happily. “Everything smells so nice and fresh after it rains.”

“I can’t smell anything,” he replied, although trying to humor her. A loud sneeze caught her attention.

“Mitsukake?” she raised her eyebrows, and closed the window back up. “You okay?”

“Nnnmmmghh.”

Instantaneously, her hand was against his forehead. “I see. You got a fever.”

“Meowowow,” Tama-neko chimed in, as if to say “well, that’s obvious” or “ow, that hurt!”.

“It’s nothing much,” he lightly pushed her hand away. “I’ll be over it in--ahCHOOGH!!”

“Ah… choogh?” Miaka’s eyebrow wavered. “That didn’t sound good at all. You should stay right here in bed.”

“I can’t do that,” he protested. “I need to--”

“We’ll all be alright!” she smiled.” I’ll bet you haven’t spent a day in bed for years! You should take care of yourself instead of the rest of us today.”

Mitsukake still felt he should protest, but smiled, very content with the idea. “I suppose you’re right,” he pulled his blankets back up over him and rolled to one side.

“Should I get you anything?”

“No, a little more sleep is all I need. Thank you.”

“Okay, feel better,” she smiled, and closed his door behind her. She couldn’t but think that it was kind of cute- in an odd way- that the big doctor would get a little sick sometimes, too.

“Didja find ‘im?” Tasuki asked upon her return to breakfast. She helped herself to the last bun- much to Chichiri’s dismay, seeing as he was about to reach for it.

“He’s a little under the weather today,” she started eating happily, as Chichiri still has his hand out for it, whining a little.

“What weather?” Nuriko leaned back to look out the window, also very fond of the pleasant air outside.

“That’s terrible,” Hotohori laid down his utensils. “Should I get him a doctor?”

“That’d be a little weird, since he is a doctor,” pointed out Tamahome. “How did he seem to you, Miaka?”

“It’s just a normal little cold, nothing to worry about,” she replied. “I wonder how he got it?”

“Well,” Chiriko felt the need to answer whatever question he could, even if an answer wasn’t really necessary. “The weather wasn’t very good to begin with yesterday, and if he was tired, that could have contributed.’

“Tired? Well why would he…”

Miaka, Tamahome, and Tasuki all fell very silent, remembering the fuss they made yesterday.

“Ow! My arm, my arm! Get off of it!”

“My back!! Gaaah!”

“My skin!! I think it’s falling off! Ow! Oooww!”

“You all have guilty looks on your faces,” Nuriko observed. Chichiri, in an unseen little form, was waving his arms trying to catch the bun out of Miaka’s hands.

“I guess we all take Mitsukake for granted sometimes,” Miaka looked glumly at the ground, and subconsciously took another big bite. “After all those times he’s saved our lifes, we just say ‘thanks!’ and that’s it. It does make me feel sort of guilty.” Having confessed that, she swallowed down the rest of the bun, much to Chichiri’s dismay.

Hotohori, though he himself was never healed by Mitsukake, was guilty of yelling for him whenever someone was remotely injured. “We all should feel that way,” he sighed, letting a few hairs fall in front of his face. “But what can we do about it? He‘s always so selfless and never calls any attention to his actions.”

“That’s simple!” Miaka perked back up. “We can all take care of him instead!”

Everyone agreed happily. “What a great idea!”

“We’re so fortunate to have a priestess who’s so concerned about her warriors,” Tamahome sent her a fond glance, which of course, made her blush. “Always so concerned about us all.”

“Yeah na no da,” Chichiri moaned as his stomach rumbled. “All of us.”

“But today we’ll all take care of Mitsukake,” Chiriko smiled. “He’ll really appreciate this.”