Fushigi Yuugi Fan Fiction ❯ Family Ties Part 1: The War of Love and Hate ❯ Intruders ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

II: Intruders
 
 
A month passed, and still the war did not end. It seemed the rumors about the war coming to a close would have been just wishful thinking. The Kuto army was getting closer and closer to its original goal everyday; soon, they would be able to lay siege to the palace. Knowing that the end was near, most of the able-bodied people began evacuating the compound. Some brought the wounded; others just abandoned them. Only a few actually stayed to defend the palace.
 
 
“Dammit! If my leg still didn't suck, I'd be able t' kick some major ass!”
 
 
Tasuki fumed over his disability as Miaka fed a sick child. They were in the nearly deserted west wing. Most of the people whom inhabited the place had left. Those whom remained were stragglers who couldn't leave on their own. Ironically, all the doctors whom have traveled so far to cure patients had left also. Apparently, their reason for coming was that they thought the palace could protect them. Now that they knew the palace would be taken over as well, they ran off in order to save their skins.
 
 
“Sure you would, Tasuki,” replied Miaka. She fed another spoonful of porridge to the child.
 
 
“I mean it, Miaka! If those lousy doctors hadn't left, I`d be back fightin' on th' front lines!” Seeing Miaka was still ignoring him, he resumed talking until she did. “Damn pricks,” he muttered. “Leavin' weak people to fend for themselves. What sort of heartless person'd do that?”
 
 
After an awkward silence ended, Miaka replied, “They were just scared, Tasuki. Everyone left because they were afraid they might die.”
 
 
“Well, that ain't an excuse for bein' selfish an' cowardly! I mean, look at what those curs gone an' did! They took jus' `bout everthin'. There's almost no food or medical stuff t' keep half o' these stragglers alive!” He spat on the ground in spite of everything. “An' with those Kuto bastards getting closer day after day, we might as well throw in the towel!”
 
 
“Shhh! Tasuki! You know better than to think that way! You shouldn't say such things!” Miaka glanced down at the young boy who had just fallen asleep. “… at least, not in front of everyone.”
 
 
“Let's face facts, Miaka.” Tasuki hissed in a whisper. “This place's goin' to go down soon. An' if we want to protect these people, we haffta find a way to get them outta here.”
 
 
“But what about Hotoh”--
 
 
“Suzaku above, Miaka! This ain't `bout keepin' a promise t' Hotohori anymore. This is `bout our survival. If we don't leave now, we're jus' as fuc--!'
 
 
AAAUUGHHH! There are Kuto soldiers! They've infiltrated the palace!”
 
 
A guard's cry was heard from the outside, alerting everyone within the west wing. Tasuki and Miaka rushed outside at the mention of Kuto soldiers. Sure enough, the royal guard that had alerted them laid dead with a cloaked figure hovering over him. The Kuto soldier turned to face the Suzaku priestess and warrior. He had a fearsome look in his eyes and a devilish leer on his lips. On sight, he leapt toward them.
 
 
Miaka and Tasuki tried to hurry away, but one was soon caught. It was Miaka. She was snatched away from the west wing entrance in the arms of the enemy. Soon both Miaka and her captor were away like lightening. Tasuki could only watch helplessly as his priestess disappeared in a blur. He desperately called out her name, but couldn't go after them. If only Mistukake and the other warriors were here. Though, the redheaded warrior had no time to compensate his loss, for troops of soldiers like the kidnapper were charging into the vicinity.
 
 
Leaping on and off the walls, the priestess held on for dear life as her captor carried her off. They had been traveling through the corridors for quite some time. She had already given up on forcing her kidnapper to let her go. The brute was much too strong for her. Suspecting this may be her last moments, she futilely asked the Kuto soldier for reasons why he kidnapped her.
 
 
“Why are doing this?” she asked not expecting a reply. “Why did you capture me?”
 
 
“To extend the Kuto Empire,” answered the mysterious cloaked man. “With you, Suzaku Priestess, assassinated, there will be no one to stand in the way of our nation's conquest.”
 
 
“But…”
 
 
“That's all you need to know for your death will come soon enough.”
 
 
With that the conversation was over. Miaka began to pray to Suzaku to send someone to save her.
 
 
~-~
 
 
Meanwhile at the west wing…
 
 
Tasuki and the other remaining civilians tried to run for their lives from the attacking Kuto forces. The hotheaded warrior had tried to save some people, but in his condition it was pretty much every man for himself. He hoped that most of the able-bodied group would be able to get away. The warrior kept repeating his priorities to himself; he needed to get away for the soldiers, and then he had to rescue Miaka. Though, it all seemed hopeless since he had broken leg. Tasuki hated to admit it, but he wished some sort of hero would rescue them in time.
 
 
“There! Over there! Look!” cried a Kuto soldier. “It's one of the Celestial Warriors of Suzaku! Kill him!”
 
 
The raiding troops had spotted him. Tasuki tried to speed up despite the pains of using his crutch. He cursed mentally knowing it was no use running away. As he reached a corner, the soldiers jumped him. They knocked him down and showed no mercy as they stepped on his bandaged limb. They wasted no time; while stepping on his back, one of them pulled out his sword. Yes, Tasuki had thought, he needed a hero right now. The blade tapped his neck once before it was pulled back and swung back down.
 
 
“You shouldn't do that, you know!”
 
 
“CHICHIRI?”
 
 
A huge quantum force of battle aura passed over Tasuki's head. The Kuto soldiers banged against a nearby wall, falling unconscious. The disoriented warrior warily stood up to face the person who had saved him. He was right; his savior had been none other than his brother warrior Chichiri. He clumsily limped toward the monk, happy to know that the others may be alive.
 
 
“Chichiri! Thanks, man, for savin' me back there. Are any o' the others with ya?” He just had to ask.
 
 
“Well, Tamahome…”
 
 
“Good! `Cause some Kuto guy went and kidnapped Miaka! We've got to save her!”
 
 
Chichiri clasped his hands together and tried to sense out his other comrade. Then his masked face broke into a smile. “Don't worry, Tasuki… Tamahome's on it, you know.”
 
 
Unfortunately, that wasn't an answer Tasuki wanted to hear.
 
 
~-~
 
 
Back to Miaka's kidnapping…
 
 
“Soon, Priestess, soon…” said the assassin. “Your life will end and my mission will be complete…” The two were almost to the palace's exit. Both were counting the moments until the Priestess of Suzaku was dead.
 
 
“You won't get away with this…!” said Miaka without much enthusiasm.
 
 
“Oh, really, Suzaku Priestess? I can see in your eyes and in the tone of your voice… I know that you have given up hope.”
 
 
“No! I…!” She knew that, but she didn't want to admit it.
 
 
“It is no use, Priestess. You have lost the war; Konan will soon be under the control of the Kuto Empire. All your celestial warriors are most likely dead by now. And soon, your pitiful life will end by my hands.” The Kuto assassin smirked as he saw Miaka shed some tears. “Needless to say, this is your entire fault.”
 
 
Miaka cried bitterly due to the horrible turn of events. He was right. This was all her fault. If she had insisted her warriors to go into battle with them, this wouldn't have happened. If she had gotten more associated with the war, this terrible bloodshed could have ended sooner. She would still be with her friends. She and Tamahome would have gotten married. Maybe it would have been better if she went on the front lines with the others; she could have ended her sorry life sooner.
 
 
The Kuto warrior took much glee in his captive's sorrow. “You're so beautiful when you cry…” he said aloud. “Such big, melancholy eyes… Maybe I'll let you live a little longer so I can rape you. A beauty like you shouldn't die as a virgin, hmm?”
 
 
Miaka didn't respond; she knew she deserved it.
 
 
“Not in my lifetime!”
 
 
That voice…! She knew whom it belonged to.
 
 
Like an archangel from above, a savior came to her aid. It was as if everything went in slow motion. He had jumped from the exit's open doorway, causing the assassin to make an abrupt stop. His traditional Chinese garb floating gracefully about him. As he landed, he looked up at her with that confident grin on his face. It was he, the man who fought any foe just to earn her adoration.
 
 
“Tamahome!” Miaka cried in joy.
 
 
The Kuto soldier was surprised, but didn't lose face. “What!”
 
 
“Me, Tamahome!” explained the smooth hero. “Suzaku Celestial Warrior and fiancé of that beautiful woman!”
 
 
“Enough flattery! Save me!” retorted Miaka.
 
 
To Tamahome's embarrassment, the kidnapper ran the other way, still carrying a cursing Miaka with him. Tamahome made a mental note that he should stop using such elaborate introductions. No matter how short. Quickly, the celestial warrior gave chase, if he ever wanted to get some from his lover.
 
 
~-~
 
 
In a random location within the corridors…
 
 
“How much longer, `Chiri?” asked an impatient Tasuki. “Where's Tamahome an' is he savin' Miaka yet?”
 
 
Minutes before both the warriors had set out to find their missing priestess and their comrade. Chichiri was using his powers to sense out their whereabouts.
 
 
“I told you, for the last ten times every five minutes, you know! Tamahome's in hot pursuit of Miaka and the Kuto miscreant as we speak!” Though he was a monk, even Chichiri had a limit to his patience.
 
 
“Well, why th' hell haven't we found `em yet?”
 
 
“Because I can only make intelligent guesses on someone's location, YOU KNOW! I can't be exact, YOU KNOW!”
 
 
“SUZAKU! YA' DON'T HAVE T' YELL!”
 
 
“WELL, I WOULDN'T BE YELLING IF YOU DIDN'T TAKE OUR LORD'S NAME IN VAIN AND STARTED YELLING BACK! KUTO SOLDIERS ARE STILL ABOUT! IF YOU DON'T STOP YELLING, YOU'RE GOING TO GIVE AWAY OUR LOCATION… YOU KNOW!”
 
 
After all that `simple' arguing, it would be a shock to find no soldiers discovering them. Sure enough, a dark-clad figure was running toward them. Still breathless from all his yelling, Chichiri turned to glare at Tasuki.
 
 
“Now look at what you made me do, you know! A Kuto scout has found us, you know!”
 
 
“Don' look at me, yer th' one who did th' loud monologue!”
 
 
Fighting was inevitable, so the monk had no choice but to retaliate. He took a stance in order to defend his injured comrade. As the Kuto scout neared, something strange was revealed about him. There seemed to be a flailing body under his arm! It looked a little familiar. Strangely enough, the Kuto soldier passed them by in a blur, but not before they heard a well-known voice cry out to them.
 
 
“Save me, you idiots!” screeched their priestess Miaka.
 
 
“Ah! That's him, `Chiri! That's th' guy who kidnapped Miaka!”
 
 
Just then, Tamahome sped by saying, “Then what are you standing there for?”
 
 
With that all three celestial warriors made haste. That is, all but injured Tasuki who lagged far behind.
 
 
“Chichiri! I need you to do something for me!” called Tamahome as they ran after the assassin. “I need you to fly over the assassin, and cut him off by the dead end of this hall!”
 
 
“What for?” asked Chichiri.
 
 
Tamahome gave him a certain look. “You know what I mean!”
 
 
“Oh, I get it now. Sure thing, Tamahome!” Then Chichiri returned an all-knowing smile.
 
“Hey, guys!” cried forgotten Tasuki from far behind. “Aren't I part o' this team, too?”
 
 
“I'll go get him,” said Tama. “You just fly ahead!”
 
 
The secret plan between Chichiri and Tamahome was put into action.
 
 
Miaka watched helplessly as her warriors tried to catch up to her. She looked up at her assassin who seemed to be in deep concentration. He was just going too fast for them. She needed to find a way to slow him down. The priestess then noticed that the arm that was holding her had come out from under the black cloak. It was bare and looked very vulnerable. With a sinister leer, Miaka did what she could do to buy the others some time.
 
 
She barred her teeth and chomped down…
 
 
The Kuto assassin let out a blood-curdling shriek as the priestess gnawed on his arm. He could feel her teeth painfully breaking through the skin. Forced to stop his getaway chase, he pulled away his arm and began beating the leech attached to it. Though, no matter how hard he hit her, Miaka wouldn't let go.
 
 
EERRRGH! Let GO of ME, you BITCH!” he hissed between blows.
 
 
Miaka growled in return as he smacked the tar out of her.
 
 
Chichiri, who was just flying over them, took notice of Miaka's attempt to help them. With that to distract the man, the masked monk flew all the way to the back of the hall. He would be able to complete the transaction now. Once at the hall's dead end, he contacted Tamahome through telepathy.
 
 
Meanwhile back with Tamahome and Tasuki…
 
 
“Gods, you're heavy!” exclaimed Tama. He was carrying Tasuki in a very awkward piggyback ride, and obviously not enjoying it.
 
 
For Tasuki the feeling was mutual. “Well, I wouldn't be so heavy, if ya' weren't such a weak-ass bit--!”
 
 
Tamahome… I've cut off the assassin.
 
 
Good, Tama replied. Now just wait for my signal!
 
 
“Hey, Tama,” interrupted Tasuki. “I jus' heard ya' and `Chiri talking. What's goin' on?”
 
 
“Never mind!” He began to pick up speed despite the large weight on his back. “Just hold on to me, Tasuki! You might prove to be useful after all!”
 
 
“What's that s'pose t'—WAAAHH!” The redhead let out a scream as his comrade went into an all-out run. He held on for dear life as they neared Miaka and the cloaked man.
 
 
When both of his friends were within sight, Chichiri held out his fists together. It was like a pass stance used in volleyball. He set his feet apart in order to distribute his weight. Simultaneously, Tama also formed this arm stance. This had to be timed right and they would only get one shot. With that the two warriors counted themselves off.
 
 
One… said Chichiri.
 
 
Tama closed in on the cloaked assassin. He took a great leap into the air.
 
 
Two… said Tamahome.
 
 
Both the man and Miaka looked up just in time to see the warrior high above their heads.
 
 
“Three!” Both celestial warriors cried in unison.
 
 
As of that moment, two spheres of pure energy erupted from the men's upturned fists. Energy had gathered from within their bodies and was fired through their arms. Such raw energy so strong it almost propelled their wielders backwards. The orbs of light were both aimed at the assassin; one from Chichiri at the hall's end, the other from Tama in mid-air.
 
 
With one force coming from the side and the other from above, the panicking soldier had almost no time to think. As a last resort, he pulled Miaka in front of him as a human shield. Fortunately, the girl was able to get away at the last minute. Chichiri's force barely singed her hair. She bumped against the wall as the two balls of energy met, making contact with the Kuto assassin.
 
 
There was a white-hot explosion. Bright lights melded and dispersed while radiating a hell-like heat. A deafening boom was heard after the orbs had made contact since sound was slower than light. Even though the blast almost blinded them, all of them could make out a burning body flailing about within it. The flash itself only lasted a few seconds. The light later dimmed until it was completely extinguished. When the smoke cleared, a huge crater within the floor and piles of debris were what remained.
 
 
“Wow…” commented Miaka. “Not even a pile of ash is left of him.”
 
 
“Miaka!”
 
 
The priestess turned to her left to see her lover coming toward her. Tama picked her up and twirled her around in mid-air, before catching her and giving her an embrace. They were finally reunited after so long. The two shared a tender moment before they were interrupted by a low groan. Still clinging to his back, an extremely fatigued Tasuki looked up from Tama's shoulder. His unsteady expression foretold a grudge that spoke in volumes. As Chichiri neared his friends, he could tell that something had transpired between his male comrades.
 
 
After an awkward silence passed, Miaka asked, “What was that attack that you guys pulled off? A Chi Kung Pao?”
 
 
“Yup!” replied Tama.
 
 
“Well, a variation of it…” Chichiri corrected.
 
 
“I don't care what kind o' attack it was!” complained Tasuki. He had miraculously gotten down from Tama's back and regained his ability to talk. “You've got some nerve usin' someone else's energy!” He pointed an accusing finger at Tama.
 
 
“Well, what choice did I have? I needed to save my energy for a fight, in case the Chi Kung Pao didn't work.” He knocked on Tasuki's still bandaged head.
 
 
“Who could've survived that? `Sides, ya' didn't ask me fer permission t' use my aura!” With his ire evoked, he began swinging his crutch, futilely missing his target of his fury.
 
 
“Okay, okay. That's enough,” Chichiri said, always the peacekeeper. “We don't have time for this foolishness. Tamahome, you and I have to get Miaka and Tasuki to a safe place. Then we have to rejoin the militia.”
 
 
“'A militia'?” Tasuki and Miaka cried in unison.
 
 
It was then noticed that the halls were empty of any Kuto soldiers. No wonder they haven't been discovered after all their rough housing. They must have seen the militia and went to fight them off. Outside, innocent men were probably giving their lives in order to prevent Kuto's conquest.