Fushigi Yuugi Fan Fiction ❯ Fushigi Yuugi: The Next Chapter ❯ Episode Four: New Friendships ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I still don't own Konan, Suzaku and all characters and seishi pertaining to them. Kiori and Ritsuka are and shall forever be mine, and that holds for all the other “originals” (you'll know `em when they appear, trust me). Obviously the story is mine as well.
Rating: PG-13, for moderate language and violence.
----------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------
--Episode Four: New Friendships--
Keisuke took the slight lull in action to help himself to a beer and a bag of Chex Mix out of the kitchen. True, Tetsuya had bought the food and drinks, but Keisuke figured that, since Tetsuya had abandoned his dearest friend for a date, it entitled him to free snacks. He made himself comfortable on their dilapidated couch, taking care to avoid the broken springs under the right-side cushion. He snatched up the thick book and sighed a little: he still had a long way to go. "Oh well, better get started on Chapter Four." He snickered. "Heh, by the time Tetsuya gets back, I'll probably be so far into this thing that he'll be completely lost trying to figure out what happened. Serves him right though, ditching me for a girl. The poor guy's probably sitting in that freezing theatre with Yui, sharing some popcorn... whispering in her ear... holding her hand... and I'm here... at home... reading a book..." Keisuke sighed. “I really hope that isn't as pathetic as it sounds.”
---
The twang of bowstrings and soft smack of arrows into sawdust greeted the ears of the palace dwellers that happened to pass by the training complex that morning. It was a usual sound and sight for most, but some still stopped to watch on that particular day, because word had traveled around the courtyards that a pair of young women from another universe were taking part in the training as well. The complex soon gained a medium-sized crowd, including the two seishi, who came to cheer on their female companions and, in Tasuki's case, possibly heckle them into embarrassing themselves.
Kiori did her best to remain composed under the eyes of the cluster of courtiers and pages, but she couldn't help but smile as one of her arrows hit the second ring from the center of the target. "Hm. I guess I'm improving after all," she remarked aloud with just a tiny hint of pride.
"Kiori's comin' along pretty well," Tasuki said to Chichiri. “She may not have much experience, but she's got a good eye an' a steady hand - got more talent'n some-a my boys back on Reikaku, really.”
"Hai, we've only been here four days and she's already competing with the first-year novices no da," the monk agreed.
Tasuki chuckled. "Still, she's no match fer—"
"Haha! I win again!" the seishi looked over to see Ritsuka collecting money from about ten archers - all of whom had lost to the quick shooting skills of the redhead. "C'mon, pay up, every last yen, or whatever you call money. The only thing I like better than beating the boys is taking their money, so you can be sure I'll count to make sure no one cheated!"
"I told you there was no way you could beat Ritsuka-san!" cooed Akai, the founder and only member of Ritsuka's new fan club.
"Little Miss Three-time Gold Medalist at the Tokyo Archery Tourney," Tasuki grumbled. "Who'd-a thought such a loud-mouthed, smartass brat could have that kinda talent?"
"I HEARD THAT TASUKI-CHAN!"
The bandit jumped about a mile high at the sound of Ritsuka's shout, and with good reason - the young woman was nearly five meters away, and he had kept his voice lowered. "Gyah! Are you even human? How'd ya manage t'hear me?” he paused for a moment, then added as a heated afterthought, “And don't call me Tasuki-chan!"
"I have the sharpest ears in Tokyo, not that I need them when your big mouth doesn't even know how to whisper... Tasuki-chan!"
The bandit stared incredulously at his friend. “Am I really that loud?”
“Your whisper is more like a shout,” Chichiri answered with a smile.
Tasuki slumped down on the railing that surrounded the archery arena and actually managed a sardonic chuckle. "Heh, guess I'll have t'work on that, then.” He watched the redhead with a frown, but couldn't mask the respect in his eyes. “That one's full-a surprises, all right. I dunno `bout Kiori, but I really think Red'll hold her own if we ever get around t'fightin'."
"Mm, but I think Kiori will prove valuable in her own way no da," Chichiri said. "She wouldn't have been picked as a Konan Warrior if she couldn't."
"Oh, speaking of the Konan Warriors..."
Tasuki leapt into the air again, surprised by a feminine voice for the second time that morning. Chichiri, who had been granted the Suzaku-given luxury of sensing life forces, turned around in a much more amiable fashion to meet Kiori's wide green eyes. "Oh, I'm sorry Tasuki; I didn't mean to scare you. Are you okay?"
"Oh, fine, jus' fine," Tasuki said, patting his chest. "I always thought havin' a beatin' heart was kinda annoyin', anyway."
Kiori smothered a giggle. "I'm glad to know it was nothing serious, then.” She turned her attention towards the monk. “But like I was saying about the Konan Warriors: what about the seventh member? That seems like the most important thing right now, so shouldn't we try to figure that out?"
"I'm working on it when I get the chance no da," Chichiri assured her. “While finding the seventh might seem like our number one priority, Konan is more interested in preparing itself for an attack." The monk sighed, remembering the myriad meetings he'd attended in the past couple days. “There's a lot to do before we start solving riddles na no da.”
The young woman's eyebrows tightened. “You're right. I keep forgetting that Houki-sama has you and Tasuki dealing with all the politics, too. If there's anything I can do to help...”
“For now, just try to survive your training, and I'll try to survive the politicians no da,” Chichiri assured her with a smile. “At any rate, I'm sure we'll find time for riddles once all the defenses are in position.”
"Oh yeah, about that riddle," Tasuki interjected. "I meant t'tell ya, I think—"
"Taaaaaaaaaaasuki-chan!" Ritsuka flew out of nowhere and threw her arms and legs around the bandit, piggy-back style. She poked her head over his shoulder and grinned devilishly. "Hao, Tasuki-chan! Whatcha doin' out here? You aren't slacking off again, are you?"
"Yer one t'talk about slackin', Miss I-Can-Do-Everything-So-I'm-Allowed-T'sit-On-My-Ass-All-Day," he retorted. "An' get off my back, will ya? An' don't call me Tasuki-chan!"
"Demanding, ain't we?” Ritsuka shifted her arms and nuzzled her cheek into his fluffy orange hair. “But you're so comfy Tasuki-chan, and it totally beats walking.”
"Yer heavy! An' don't call me that!"
Ritsuka's eyes narrowed. "Heavy?" Her arms tightened into a stranglehold around the bandit's neck. "Is that any way to treat the girl who kicked your butt in kendo?"
"Do ya have t'bring that up again? I already told ya it was a fluke - fight me again and ya won't be so lucky!” the bandit struggled against her hold, but the chibi woman's grip was surprisingly tight, and it was only growing tighter by the second. “Ack! Leggo! Yer cuttin' off my air!"
The two continued to scuffle and Kiori and Chichiri did their best to ignore them, but the nearby crowd was only too eager to turn their attention to a new attraction. Eventually the huddle around the miniature brawl grew so immense that even Akai left her training to see what the matter was. She watched the two fighters with wide-eyed concern before weaving her way out of the crowd and towards the archery ring, where Kiori was trying to continue her training while Chichiri encouraged her from the sideline. "Kiori-san, Chichiri-sama, did you see—?”
“We saw.”
“And do they—?”
“Like clockwork.”
“But don't you think we should—?"
“Try and stop them?” Kiori sighed and allowed her bow to slacken in her hand. "Don't bother; you'll just wind up getting hurt in the process."
"Chichiri."
All eyes turned to the Empress, and more than a few necks turned red at being caught shirking their duties. The small crowd dispersed like lightning, leaving the five Konan warriors - including the squabbling Ritsuka and Tasuki - alone with Konan's leader. Chichiri bowed slightly. "Hai, Houki-sama?"
Houki glanced over at Ritsuka, who still had her hands locked on Tasuki's throat. The Empress fought to feign ignorance, but she couldn't quite keep the corners of her mouth from twitching into a smile. "Oh, dear, I am not interrupting some type of training, am I?"
Ritsuka giggled and patted Tasuki's head with a force that made it look more like a slap. "Nah, we're just, uh... just playing a game, is all."
Tasuki bowed low to the Empress, causing Ritsuka to lose her balance and tumble forward, flat on her face. "We can't spend every minute workin' after all. Gotta stick in s'me time fer, uh, `after-training activities,' y'know."
She abandoned her composure at the sight of Ritsuka's smashed nose, but managed to bring up a long violet sleeve to cover her smile. "Whatever you call it, please try not to kill each other in the process."
"Houki-sama, you wanted to see me no da?" Chichiri asked, already preparing himself for the arguments he'd have to endure with Houki's advisors.
The Empress' expression grew grim with surprising speed. "Mm. May I see you in my private quarters for a moment?"
---
"I apologize for dragging you away from the others, but I wanted to speak with you about our defenses," Houki explained once they were in her personal study. She offered the monk a seat across from her husband's former desk, which he accepted, and a small glass of rice wine, which he politely refused. "You understand that this is not the sort of business I am used to, and even my most seasoned advisors are not experts when it comes to war. I am in desperate need of counsel."
Chichiri set his chin in his hands. "We've discussed this to death at the meetings, Houki-sama. I've already told you where I stand no da.”
“But do you truly think we should not strike—”
“Your Majesty is the one who said our forces are inexperienced and outnumbered, and that's the information I'm following,” the monk said, his tone light and respectful and always. “We could leave the safety of the city walls and fight Takkan on an open field, but if you're sources are right then doing that would be like a death sentence for thousands of Konan soldiers. I'm not a general, Houki-sama. I'm barely a fighter. But over the years I've tried to teach myself something about protecting others. That's what I'm trying to do now no da.” He glanced up, smiling cheerfully. “But Tasuki is something of a general, and something of a hothead, and he still agrees with me na no da! So maybe that's worth something.”
“So you both think we shall win if we take the defensive?”
“I'm not promising anything, but I do know that taking the defensive will give us some extra time and safety. You'd have to talk to Tasuki or Akai about the details, I'm not much of a campaigner, but I think the wall around Konan should hold against most attacks from normal weapons...” his eyebrows scrunched together in a thoughtful frown, “but I can't begin to guess what sort of powers the Elements have. Average materials might not hold against a magical attack na no da."
Houki nodded. "Do you suppose they have a sorcerer in their midst?"
"I wouldn't doubt it no da."
"More powerful than you?" The monk shrugged. Houki sighed. "Oh, heavens. The situation only seems to grow more difficult as time passes. And there is not much 'legend advice' I can give until we find the last member."
Chichiri sat up straight. "Hm?"
"My scholars informed me that the next part is meant for all seven. While we could read it now, it would be almost pointless - like trying to put together a puzzle while some of the pieces are missing," Houki explained. "Have you had any luck with the riddle?"
"I haven't had much time to think about it no da. And even when I do get a chance, I keep thinking about that last line: The answer lies within love's well. It feels important for some reason, only I can't make any sense of it."
"Perhaps," Houki said, but she sounded unsure. These days she always sounded uncertain, as if she had difficulty convincing herself that the sun would even rise - because, in many ways, it might not. “I only wish I knew more about such matters... riddles and wars and Elements... the Empress' power should not be so limited. If only...”
Chichiri knew the unspoken words, because he had thought them as well. If only Hotohori-sama were still alive. But he wasn't, and neither were the other Suzaku seishi, the fighters and the intellectuals who could properly run a council of war. There was only a hotheaded bandit, a peace-loving monk, and an Empress desperate to keep her people safe.
So he'd just have to work that much harder to ensure victory, wouldn't he?
The monk brushed aside his hatred for battle and his disinterest in politics and set his mind on keeping his beloved country and companions safe. There was no question about it now. It was simply what he had to do. Chichiri stood. "Listen, Houki-sama, how about if I put up a protection barrier around the city na no da?"
The Empress' troubled head shot up. "Beg pardon? A barrier?"
"Hai," Chichiri said, exercising a poise that he didn't feel. But he was used to that, by now - and anyway, the Empress was counting on him. "I can set up a magical barrier no da. No one will be able to enter or exit the capital using magical powers. It'll keep any sort of sorcerer-spies from listening in on our conversations and discovering our war plans no da." Oh, why not? He might as well go the extra mile. "If you'd like, I can set up a force field that'll keep enemies from entering, too."
Houki's eyes widened. "Could you really do all that?"
Chichiri nodded. "It would take me a good part of the day, and sap my ki life force for a short while.” And leave him stiff and sore for two weeks, he added silently. “But I'd say it's worth it no da. It won't stop arrows, you know..."
"But it would help immensely," Houki finished. "When can you start?"
"Right away na no da."
Houki flashed the monk a look of pure admiration. Confidence shone from her violet eyes once again, for how could Konan ever fail, with powerful seishi on its side? Sometimes Chichiri wished he had that kind of blind faith in himself, too. "I cannot thank you enough. Suzaku truly smiled on Konan when he brought you and Tasuki into this country."
Chichiri blushed, rubbing the back of his head. "Anything to help Konan, no da."
---
"The one called Chichiri is very powerful, isn't he, Mizu-chan?"
"I... I think so, my Lady."
"There are few who know about magical barriers, and scarcer still are those who can build a good one," Setsuka nodded respectfully, but even as she admired the monk's work she was planning ways to tear his powers to shreds. “Very impressive indeed...”
"Having second thoughts, my Lady?"
A light, tinkling laugh tore its way from the Lady's throat. "Certainly not, my dear! Just because this little monk can build a force field doesn't mean he can hold his own against my Elements." She sat forward in her chair. "Now Mizu-chan, I have no doubt that you shall be able to push through that barrier, correct?"
"You mean spy after the field's up?"
"Exactly."
The young Element watched through her crystal as Chichiri exited Houki's private quarters. She pursed her lips. "Yeah, I can manage it. Except...”
Around Setsuka's neck hung a silver chain adorned with seven multi-colored jewels. The light blue one pulsed slightly, though Setsuka didn't need the necklace to tell her that Mizu was troubled. "Whatever is the matter?"
"It's just, trying to break a barrier takes a lot of work, and it'll really sap my ki,” Mizu explained. "And I wouldn't mind the strain if it helped our cause, I really wouldn't, except... I'm sorry, my Lady, but I don't feel right spying on the private lives of anyone, even our enemies." She looked down, watching as one of her crystals hummed lightly near her clenched hands. “I was taught not to do that kind of thing, from someone I love from a long time ago... so, I...”
Setsuka placed a slender hand on the child's shoulder. Her voice oozed sympathy and kindness, and everything she said seemed to make such perfect sense when she used that voice. "Mizu-chan, I understand how you must feel." She touched the girl's chin with one of her soft hands, and turned her head until they were looking into each other's faces: Setsuka's sweet and compassionate, Mizu's intrigued and confused. "But you must understand that this is war. Spying is not wrong if it is used to defeat evil. Konan is the enemy, and in order for the good of Takkan to reign, the enemy must be defeated. Am I right?"
Her cold silver eyes pierced into Mizu's golden ones, until Mizu felt they were brushing at her very soul. She looked away, ashamed that she'd ever thought to contradict her mistress. "Hai, my Lady."
"Thank you, Mizu-chan.” Setsuka stroked the girl's hair and assumed her most motherly smile, though she couldn't quite hide the hint of malicious victory behind that charming look. “I can see all this talk of war has troubled you. I shan't need your limitless talents for another day or so - in the meantime, please try to have some fun and forget this dreadful business."
"Hai, my Lady." Mizu stepped from her cushion at the Lady's right side and onto the cold wooden floor. She wrapped her triangle-patterned robe tightly around her shoulders and hurried down the hall.
“Maybe I will forget about this horrible war, for a little bit,” she said to herself once she had departed from the Lady's chamber. “But how can I ever forget that my enemy is now...?”
---
Tasuki threw a rock into the palace lake and watched it skip five times before sinking beneath the clear, smooth surface. The sun, which had just begun its downward plunge into the west, sent rays of light flashing off the water, causing the entire area to glitter in a myriad of blue and white sparkles. It would all have been very scenic if Tasuki had been the scenery-viewing type. Instead, he sighed and leaned against the promenade's railing. "Where the hell's Chichiri? It's no fun skippin' rocks if ya don't have anyone t'compete against."
"Taaaaaaaaaaaaasuki-chan!" Tasuki nearly toppled over the rail as Ritsuka flew out of nowhere, hopping onto his back and wrapping her arms around his neck. "Ni-hao! That's Chinese for `hi' - oh, but I guess you'd already know that, huh?” she used the bandit's head as a pillow and made herself comfortable, totally ignoring the tiny growling noises coming from the man's throat. “So how's my Tasuki-chan doing on this lovely spring afternoon?"
"Fine until you showed up."
"You are so charming! I can't believe you don't have a girlfriend."
Tasuki decided to use Ritsuka's own medicine against her. "Aw, Red, ya came all th' way out here just t'see me? I'm touched."
"Ha! I don't think my life has become that boring just yet!" the redhead said with a snort. She leaned over his shoulder so she could see his face and poked him in the cheek. "Have you seen Kiori? I lost her somewhere between the training complex and our room."
Tasuki shook his head. "You wouldn't happen t'have seen Chichiri, either?"
“Nope, no sign of—” she stopped short and snapped her fingers. "Oh, wait, that's right! I saw him right after the morning's training session. He said," and here she turned her eyes upwards and said in a high-pitched voice, "I've got some work to do setting up a barrier around the city, so I prob'ly won't see you till tomorrow no da!" She poked his cheek again and reverted to her normal tone. "So what do people in Konan do to keep busy? I imagine it's a little hard to go clubbing or visit the arcade around here."
"I ain't sure what those are, so I'd say we don't have `em." Tasuki, tired of Ritsuka's finger stabbing at his cheek, snapped his fangs down hard on the first digit.
"OW!" she whacked him over the head. "Tasuki-chan, that was a cheap shot!"
"All's fair in love, war, and pissin' you off," he countered. "Now get off my back, will ya?"
---
Chichiri strode back to his room, in good spirits despite his physical exhaustion. He had spent the majority of the afternoon traveling from one corner of the capital to the other and setting up magical charms where the corners of the city's high walls intersected. The real work wouldn't begin until later, though; now that he could mentally grasp the four corners of the city, he had to build and strengthen the barrier that would protect it. The monk's stomach grumbled, and he changed his course just slightly. Working was all well and good, but first he'd need some dinner.
"Uncle Chichiri!" as the monk turned a corner of the palace a small something threw its arms around his legs, nearly tripping him. "Hi Uncle Chichiri! You didn't forget 'bout me, did'ja?"
Chichiri chuckled. Once he'd untangled himself from the boy's grasp, he turned around to address him. "How could I forget you na no da?” The monk knelt beside Boshin, poking his nose teasingly. “What's up?"
Boshin grinned. "Tai, that's my nurse, she says I gots free-time now. An' I 'membered that Mama said you and Uncle Scaryface would play with me later." His smile widened. "Is it later yet?"
The monk laughed. “I guess it is no da. But Boshin-chan, I'm pretty hungry, plus I have a lot of important work to do...”
The young Emperor's lower lip quivered and his eyes filled with tears. "More 'portant than me?"
He sighed. His mind told him the barrier came first, and his stomach ordered food, but his heart had a nasty tendency of ignoring both of them, and he had a nasty tendency of listening to it. He patted Boshin on the head. "Never. Let's find a small room to go to, and we'll play for a while. How's that sound no da?"
Immediately the boy's tears vanished. "Hooray!" He grabbed the monk by the hand and dragged him towards a nearby, empty sitting room. "Can we play the one game with the staff, huh can we Uncle Chichiri?"
"You have a good memory, Boshin-chan," Chichiri remarked. “You've gotten a lot bigger since the last time we played, but I guess I can try no da."
“I'm sure you can do it Uncle Chichiri! I bet you can do just about anything, huh?”
“I don't know about that...”
“Could you disappeared right now, or shoot a hole through that wall over there, or turn yourself into my nurse Tai, or lift those flowers right outta the ground?”
“Of course no—” the monk paused and sweatdropped. “Actually, I can do those things. But—”
“Then I was right, Uncle Chichiri! You can do anything!”
---
"Oi, Tasuki?" Ritsuka said as she leaned over the rail and gazed out at the shimmering pond.
"Mm?"
"What'd you and Chichiri do before you became seishi?" she asked. "I know you told us that story about the Priestess and all, but I still don't feel like I really know anything about the two of you."
"Well, I..." Tasuki grinned at the memories. "I was in a gang up on Mount Reikaku.”
“I figured as much. You smell like a thief.”
The bandit scowled and whacked her over the head with his tessen. “Reikaku ain't like that! We only rob rich travelers, an' we protect all th' farmlands in our territory. We're champions-a th' weak!”
“Glorified thieves, then,” Ritsuka said with a shrug and a grin. “But please, Robin Hood-san, do continue.”
“Anyway, I joined th' gang about five years back, `cause I'd heard about their work an' I thought it'd be a good excuse t'get away from home an' really prove myself. Y'know, become a man an' all that.”
“Still working on that part, I see.”
The bandit scowled but went on. “I was gonna be the next leader, but because th' Priestess showed up, my pal Koji took temporary control an' I came t'Konan.” He lowered his voice and scratched his chin, speaking more to himself than the redhead: “An' speakin' of Koji, I wonder—"
"Ever wanted to go back?”
He nodded. "Every six months `r so I start gettin' homesick, an' `Chiri `n' I go up t'visit th' gang. Eventually I'll prob'ly settle down there fer good an' become th' leader, like th' old boss wanted, but fer th' moment I'd jus' like t'travel, see a little bit-a th' world, y'know. After that mess with Tenkou, Chichiri asked if I wanted t'come with him fer a while, an' I figured I'd give it a chance."
"How's that working out for you?"
Tasuki laughed. "Y'know, I had my doubts about it at first, but it's workin' out really great. We're always helpin' some village or kickin' somebody's ass. I like it."
"You and Chichiri are pretty close, huh?"
"Depends on how ya look at it," Tasuki attempted to explain. "We're more-or-less total opposites, an' we're always arguin' over how t'handle things or where t'go next or even what to eat fer dinner... but I don't think I'd want it any other way." He chuckled. "I kick someone's ass, an' he makes peace with th' losers. I deal with a gang-a murderers while he helps th' orphaned kids find families. It shouldn't work, but somehow it always does.” Tasuki shrugged. “But you oughta understand that. You `n' Kiori are like that, too."
“Hm. I guess so.” Ritsuka snatched up a rock and tossed it across the water, counting the skips. "Seven, I win again." The seishi muttered something rude and handed over a gold piece. "So what about Chichiri? What'd he do before this Priestess business?"
"Mostly led a normal life, up until he was eighteen or so," Tasuki answered shortly.
"Oh? What happened then?" Ritsuka waited, but he said nothing. "Is that when he got that scar or something?" Total silence greeted her question. Ritsuka scowled. “Tasuki-chan, don't act like you don't know!"
The bandit met her angry look with a sidelong glance. "Even if I did know th' whole story, I wouldn't tell you, especially when ya call me Tasuki-chan."
She grumbled a curse and looked away. "Just an honest question, no need to take my head off." Another period of silence fell on the pair, before Ritsuka's curiosity overwhelmed her temper. "So... the mask doesn't have power or anything, does it? He just wears it to hide that scar?" Tasuki nodded. "But why?" No answer. "Tasuki-chaaaaaan…"
"Its jus' one-a th' things that makes Chichiri, Chichiri."
Ritsuka frowned. "You wanna know what I think?"
"Nope."
She ignored him. "I think he wears it to hide his real face."
"Nah, really?" Tasuki drawled. “That's one helluva deduction Red, did it take ya all night t'come up with that one, `r did'ja theorize it on th' spur-a th' moment?”
"That isn't what I mean!" Ritsuka snapped, and punctuated her shout with a sharp thwack to the back of Tasuki's head. "I mean that I don't think he wants people to see the real him."
"An' I think yer lookin' way too deep inta things,” the bandit shot back. “Wouldn't you get tired of explainin' t'everyone how you got a scar, then hearin' 'em say `Oh, I'm so sorry' an' sneaking looks at it all the time? I don't think there's anythin' wrong with hidin' somethin' that's gonna be a nuisance like that."
"Well, I think it's weird. And unhealthy. You shouldn't keep stuff like that hidden. You should say,” and here she raised her fist and proclaimed to the skies, “`This is who I am and it's how I'm gonna stay, so get used to it!' Hiding behind a smile and a `no da' is so juvenile."
The bandit looked away, liking the conversation less and less. "You jus' don't get it. An' when was th' last time you weren't immature?"
"I'll answer after you do," she countered.
Sparks flew briefly between their eyes, then they both humphed and looked away. “Don't talk to me.”
---
Kiori, after attempting (and failing) to study for her Calculus midterm, made her way to the kitchens for an evening snack. She was passing one of the small sitting rooms on the way back to her private study zone when she heard muted giggles behind the closed door. “Hm, that must be Boshin-chan,” she thought aloud with a smile. “I bet that kid gets so bored around here. I was always pretty good with the kids I babysat -maybe I should go in and see if he wants someone to play with." Kiori slid the door open quietly, unnoticed by the two playmates within. She held back a chuckle, watching as Chichiri and Boshin played one of the strangest games she had ever seen.
Chichiri glowed slightly with red power - his life force, Kiori realized suddenly, though she'd only seen it in anime before - and appeared to be in deep concentration. Boshin hung nearby, suspended in the air by another crimson bubble of energy and giggling happily. The monk lifted his staff and up Boshin went, almost to the low ceiling of the room. Then, just when Kiori thought Chichiri's control would snap for certain, the staff would drop and so would the boy, the monk pulling up just in time to keep Boshin from hitting the ground.
"Can ya make me go any higher, Uncle Chichiri?"
"Any higher and you'll fly through the roof no da," he argued with a chuckle.
Kiori couldn't contain her amusement anymore and let out a laugh. "Well after you fly him through the roof, do you think I could have a ride?"
Chichiri, caught off-guard, jumped and jerked his head to look at the college woman. The red ki around him disappeared and Boshin plummeted to the floor with a happy squeal. The monk whirled back around just in time to see what was happening; with a startled “Da!” he dove forward and caught the child right before he slammed into the hard wooden floor.
Boshin, ignorant to his near-accident, laughed and patted the monk's head. "Wow that was fun! Can we do that last one again, please Uncle Chichiri?"
He panted, glancing back over his shoulder at Kiori. "I'll have to take a rain check on that one, Boshin-chan. Somehow I don't think your Mama - not to mention the entire country - would appreciate me playing games like that with their future Emperor no da."
The brunette winced. "Did I do something wrong?"
"Wrong? Not exactly,” he said with just a touch of exasperation. He set the boy down and stood. “When I'm working magic like that, I don't sense ki as well. You caught me completely off-guard, and the surprise snapped my concentration no da."
Kiori looked down and played with her hands. "I'm sorry, I didn't—"
“You didn't know, of course,” Chichiri flashed a friendly smile and waved a dismissive hand in her direction. "Daijoubu (It's all right)," he assured her. "No harm done na no da. Just try not to sneak up on me in the future." He looked over her shoulder and out the open door of the room, noticing the low position of the sun in the sky. "Ne, Kiori, what time is it?"
"Uh, around seven, I guess."
"Da…!" Chichiri turned to the young Emperor. "Uh, Boshin-chan, why don't you go find your mama no da? I have some things I need to do."
"'Kay Uncle Chichiri. Thanks for the game." He hugged the monk warmly, waved at Kiori, and trotted out of the room.
The college girl watched him go, smiling. "You're pretty fond of Boshin-chan, ne Chichiri?"
Chichiri had his back to Kiori as he spread his kesa out on the floor, but she could hear the affection in his words. "He's a good kid. Besides, Tasuki and I are the closest things to a father that he has no da. I figure we should try to play the part whenever we can."
"You're pretty good with kids. Ever think of having a family of your own?"
Kiori noticed that his back stiffened. "At one time, yes, no da," he said quietly.
"Oh? Did something change your mind?" the young woman held up her hands, surprised at her own forwardness. “Uh, not that it's any of my business and all...”
“Daijoubu no da. It's natural to be curious.” He turned around, smiling, but his heart didn't seem to be in it, and Kiori didn't miss the way he neatly avoided her question. "Anyway, I have some work to do no da. Was there something you needed?"
"Oh, no," Kiori held up her math book. "Just on my way back to my room to study." She glanced back through the door at the setting sun, then to the monk again. "Um... do you mind if I stay in here? It's a little lonely in my room, what with Ritsuka running around the palace."
"That's fine no da,” he assured her. The monk smoothed out his robe on the floor and took a seat in the middle, legs crossed and back perfectly straight. His words were preoccupied, but polite as always. “Just close the door, so no one can walk by and break my concentration no da."
Kiori did as he said. She took a seat next to him, right next to the spread-out robe, and tried not to look too intrigued by his “work.” The young woman didn't want to disturb him, but before long her curiosity got the better of her. "May I ask what you're doing?"
"Making a magical barrier to encircle the city. It'll keep enemies out no da," he explained briefly, his voice already taking on a somewhat faraway tone.
"Sugoi (Amazing)," Kiori murmured, impressed with the growing list of the monk's skills. "Is... I know it sounds kinda silly, but is there anything I can do to help?"
Chichiri opened his mouth to decline the offer, then stopped as an idea crossed his mind. "Actually, there might be no da."
"What is it?"
He held out his hand, palm up. "Give me your hand na no da." Kiori blinked at the request, but did as he said without much hesitation. Chichiri wasn't the type to flirt - though she couldn't help but blush a little as his fingers closed over hers. "Now, I want you to open your mind to me. Can you do that no da?"
"Um, I guess so," Kiori closed her eyes and attempted to do what he said, though she really had no idea what he meant, and hoped that she'd done it right. “I, uh, I think I'm ready.”
“Okay no da.”
Silence filled the room for a few seconds, and then, quite suddenly, Kiori felt a sharp shock race through her hand. "Ite (Ow)!"
Both pulled away, rubbing their palms. Chichiri shook his head. "No, it isn't just a matter of relaxing - you have to trust me no da. Opening your mind to me is the only way that I can borrow your ki."
"My `ki'?" The image of a monkey-tailed boy running around collecting Dragon Balls darted across her mind. Kiori fought to erase the childhood memory and pay attention as Chiichii - ack, Chichiri - explained.
"Hai, your life force. That's the power all of us rely on, you know - I've just been given some abilities that let me use it differently no da. Making a barrier is a lot of work, and it can really take a lot out of me. It wouldn't drain me nearly as much - and make the field stronger - if I could use some of your ki as well no da."
"You can do that? Even though I'm not a seishi?"
Chichiri smiled. "Sou da! Anyone can transfer their ki into someone else if they know how no da."
Kiori nodded thoughtfully. She gave her hand back to Chichiri and once more she tried to do what he said: open her mind, and trust him. After a moment's thought she realized that that wouldn't be a difficult task at all - she did trust the monk, even if they barely knew each other - she felt that she could trust him with her life. `That's unusual for me... but then again, why shouldn't I trust him? He's stronger than anyone I've ever met,' she reasoned. Kiori closed her eyes and took deep, even breaths. She dropped a few mental walls - not all of them of course, just the ones that protected her physical well-being - and focused on her trust in her new friend. She thought she felt something inside her gather and draw out through her hand. It was a funny, ticklish feeling, but it didn't really hurt.
'So this is a `ki transfer,' hm? It isn't so hard at all,' Kiori remarked to herself. After another few seconds passed, she realized with a start that she could almost feel the monk's consciousness brushing at the edge of her - well, her soul, she supposed - and that they were breathing in perfect unison. 'It's a little strange, though, feeling him there like that. Like giving blood straight from one person to another.'
Chichiri opened his eye. "Kiori?"
She roused herself from her half-asleep musings. "Mm?"
"Could you not think so loud no da?"
Her eyes snapped open. "Ex... excuse me?"
"When we're connected like this, if you project your thoughts then I can hear them too no da," he explained. "I'm having a hard time focusing.”
"Gomen," Kiori paused, then asked, “Is that going to last for a while, or just until you're done.”
“Just until I'm done no da. For the next few days - as long as some of your ki lingers in mine - we'll have a connection similar to the one Tasuki and I have, where I can tell if you're hurt or troubled, but nothing too extreme.”
“Okay.” She let him get back to his work and tried to think quietly - whatever that meant. She wrinkled her nose as she felt, more than heard, Chichiri's incoming thought. "Chichiri?"
"Yes?"
"If you're that hungry, why don't you go get dinner?"
---
Ritsuka and Tasuki watched in silence as the sun dipped toward Konan's outer wall, before finally starting its descent into the horizon. Rays of crimson and violet light lit up the western sky, painting the few lingering clouds with a soft, warm glow, and turning the palace pond a deep azure blue.
Tasuki sighed. "The setting sun sinks again. As it embraced its passion, it reaches its inward rest."
"What?"
"Nothin'."
Ritsuka hesitated. "You still mad at me?"
"Mm," was the short reply.
She looked away and scowled. "Good. Me too."
A bird called out across the evening sky. The leaves of a nearby tree rustled in the light spring breeze. The sun sank a little bit further behind the wall. And Tasuki collapsed against the railing, groaning to the painted skies, "Where the hell is Chichiri?"
---
Kiori felt the ticklish feeling in her hand recede. Little by little she awoke from her light doze and opened her eyes to find the room almost completely covered in shadows. She rose, cracking her back as she did. "That took a lot longer than it felt."
"It always does no da," Chichiri agreed. He rubbed at his masked eye, yawning wide. "I'm almost as tired as I am hungry. Building those is exhausting, but at least it's done for good no da. Thanks for the help."
"No problem," Kiori said, and fought to stifle a yawn of her own. "That wore me out a little, too. Plus I think I'm hungry again. Do you think the cooks would deliver something to our room?"
"I think there's only one way to find out, no da."
---
"I'm bored," Tasuki complained.
"Join the club," Ritsuka muttered.
"Tasuki-sama! Ritsuka-san!"
The landscape was draped in shadows, but they recognized the young voice immediately. The pair rose from their seats with an effort and waved to the advancing girl, all-too-ready for a change of pace and a little excitement. "Akai, we're over here!"
The warrior jogged up, offering a quick bow to her seniors. "Konban wa (Good evening) Tasuki-sama, Ritsuka-san. I've been looking for you for hours. Are the others around?"
Ritsuka shook her head and rolled her eyes in mock disgust. "Kiori's probably attempting to do her Calc homework, like the workaholic she is, and she's probably doing it all wrong, like the journalism major she is."
"And Chichiri's buildin' a barrier or somethin'," Tasuki added.
"Not that they'd bother to tell me!" both growled.
Akai shook her head. "I don't think Chichiri-sama's still working on that." She leaned out over the promenade's railing and pointed to the dimly lit horizon. "See how, when you look at the far wall in just the right way, there's a sort of reddish shimmer around it? That wasn't there before, so I'm pretty sure that's the barrier he was supposed to set up." She hopped up on the rail's edge, and the others followed suit. "I haven't seen him all day, though... D'you think he went into town, maybe?"
"Nani (What)? Y'mean he's at some bar an' didn't invite me?" Tasuki demanded, eyes wide and arms flailing.
"I never said that!" Akai pursed her lips. "And a seishi shouldn't concern themselves with alcohol, especially at a time like this, right Tasuki-sama?"
"Yeah, yeah, whatever," Tasuki rubbed his chin and smiled wolfishly. "But those pretty waitresses are a different story.”
Akai raised her fist and slammed it into the back of Tasuki's skull. “I do apologize, Tasuki-sama, but if you don't get your head out of the gutter a Takkan soldier is going to put an arrow through it!"
"C'mon, I was jus' kiddin'!" Tasuki snapped, rubbing his hair and making a big show of grimacing at the punch. "Besides,” he added with a snicker, “bar girls ain't my type. Now, a cute little innkeeper's daughter—”
This time Akai's sword hilt left its mark on Tasuki's head, with such a force that he nearly fell over the rail. "Can't you be serious? There's a war starting soon Tasuki-sama, not to mention you're completely ruining my childhood fantasies about the nobility of the seishi!"
Ritsuka was laughing so hard she had to grip the rail for support. “Y'know, Akai, I think I could really get to like you.”
---
“C'mon Mizu-chan, haven't ya found our army yet?”
The young Element stared into her shimmering blue crystal, mouth pursed in concentration. “They've swept a lot of territory a lot faster than I thought they would. It's taking me a while to find them...”
“Jus' follow th' trail-a burned Konan villages,” Kaze snapped. “Back home, durin' the wars, that's how we always knew where th' Kutou army was headin'.”
Tsuchi shook his head. “Hataku-sama would never do that. He has his faults, but he's too honorable to murder innocents.”
“Honor has nothing to do with it,” Sora called from her seat on the nearby couch. She was determined to look as uninterested as possible, though her curiosity was almost as insatiable as Kaze's. “If word gets around that the Takkan army is blasting its way through Konan, guerilla units will spring up everywhere. And while a gaggle of farmers would be no problem for our men to handle, they would cause unnecessary delays and damage.” She stuffed her head back into her scroll, though her eyes kept peeking over the edge to glance at Mizu's crystal. “It's a simple matter of strategy, Tsuchi-kun.”
“Then why didn't Kutou do that during its invasion?”
“Because Kutou was an Empire, not a small nation, and they could afford minor delays if it meant possibly terrorizing Konan into surrender.” She shrugged. “It isn't the course of action I would have taken...”
“Especially since it kinda resulted in th' destruction of our hometown,” Kaze grumbled under his breath. “I kinda hope Setsuka-sama wants t'keep buildin' her empire after we defeat Konan. I wouldn't mind havin' a go at good ol' Kutou someday—”
"Found them," Mizu said, pointing at her crystal. "There's the army you wanted to see so badly, Kaze. It looks like they've almost reached the capital."
Kaze's attention jerked back to the girl, and his golden eyes flared with excitement. "And th' sooner they get t'that city, th' sooner they fail an' we get t'prove ourselves."
Sora set her book down again and rubbed at her temples. "Perhaps Taiyou was right. You should learn some patience, my friend, and you definitely shouldn't wish so hard for a battle. The gods have unusual senses of humor - those who seek violence often find an early death."
Kaze's laugh was harsh. "Death? Only fer those Konan fighters, Sora-chan." He was the only person who could call her that and live, though he still received a death glare from across the room. The youth just laughed and blew a teasing kiss at his childhood friend.
Tsuchi frowned and fiddled with his headband. "I understand that her Ladyship is fulfilling a legend and all, but isn't there some way to do it without causing all this bloodshed?"
"Big surprise here, healer-boy's scared," Kaze taunted. He flicked a blue pellet across the table at the other boy, flashing him a sarcastic grin. “What're you so nervous about anyway? You don't have t'fight. All you an' Mizu-chan gotta do is sit around here and be good little pets for her Ladyship."
"I just hate fighting, is all," the boy said quietly. "Why do you want to kill so badly? I'd think after all you and Sora-senpai went through during the war, you'd want to stay far away from another mess like that."
Sora frowned at the younger Element's somewhat accusing question. "It isn't the killing, Tsuchi-kun, but the battle that I enjoy. There is a certain thrill, an excitement in the perfect downwards strike, in the learning of a new technique, in the defeat of a worthy opponent.” He opened his mouth to argue, but Sora only shook her head and returned to her scroll. “You don't have fighting blood, Tsuchi-kun. You would never understand.”
Kaze snickered, neatly avoiding Tsuchi's question. “Besides, `Her Royal Highness' wants us t'do it. Ain't it reason enough that we be good little pets and do as she says?”
Mizu hushed him, peering into the crystal intently. “Hora (Look)! They're setting camp. That means the war will begin in the morning.”
---
Kiori lay back on Chichiri's robe, yawning and patting her stomach. On one side of her lay an almost-finished bowl of food - just a few scraps of rice and shrimp speckled its edges - and on the other an equally full and drowsy monk. "Oh, I'm stuffed, but my mouth still wants more! They aren't short of good food around here, are they?"
"The cooks know all sorts of recipes no da," Chichiri agreed. He stretched his arms and put them behind his head, looking up at the ceiling through a half-closed lid. Kiori followed suit, but as she stretched something on her upper arm - she had rolled up her blouse's sleeves to eat - caught the monk's eye.
Kiori felt him watching her. "Something wrong?"
Chichiri nodded to the long, pink scar that ran from the young woman's elbow to her wrist. "That's pretty nasty no da. How'd you get something like that?"
Kiori rubbed the spot he was talking about. She sat up, looking away. "Oh. I got this six months ago, before I moved to Tokyo...” she trailed off; she didn't like to think about that, and she especially didn't like to talk about it. Even with someone she trusted.
Chichiri must have sensed her distress, because a moment later a comforting hand fell on her shoulder. “If you don't want to talk about it, that's all right no da. I understand."
Kiori had been watching the ground as she rolled down her sleeves, but at his comment her head lifted again. She turned to watch him, open surprise in her emerald orbs. "You do?"
A nod. "Sure. Everyone has something they hate talking about na no da."
Kiori relaxed again. She even managed to flash her most cheerful smile, though it still held a hint of sorrow around the edges. "Maybe so, but it's hard to believe that a happy guy like you would have anything dark on his mind, Chichiri."
He smiled, a little wistfully, and perhaps a little sadly as well. "It does, doesn't it?"
The young woman almost asked what he meant by that, but was cut off by a loud rap on the door of the room. "Chichiri-sama! Chichiri-sama, are you in there?"
The two exchanged looks; they didn't recognize the voice, but it sounded urgent. The monk crossed the room in a few easy steps, unlocking the door and sliding it open. A boy of about fifteen stood in the doorway. "What's wrong no da?"
"Oh, Chichiri-sama," he bowed hurriedly. "I'm very sorry to bother you, but the Empress requests the presence of the Konan warriors."
The pair hurried out of the room, following the boy's quick pace. The college girl was nearly bursting with questions. "Why does she need us? And what's going on, um…?" Kiori realized she didn't know her guide's name.
"My name is Tsukimiya Aoi," he supplied. "And I'm taking you to the Empress because we just found out—” he turned a corner and ran straight into Akai, who was followed closely by Tasuki and Ritsuka.
"Ouch!" Akai took a few steps back, rubbing at her sore head. She smiled through the slight pain, at both the Konan warriors and at the boy leading them. "Oh, Aoi! And Chichiri-sama, and Kiori-san.” She offered the pair a short bow, then turned her attention back to their guide. “Are you taking them to meet the Empress?"
"Hai," Aoi replied. He fell into step with the Palace Warrior, and the two led the way down the twisting corridors to the Empress' chamber.
Ritsuka glared at her friends. "Glad to see you finally made an appearance."
"Yeah. An' Chichiri, th' next time ya go out drinkin', you better not ferget me," the bandit growled. He fluttered his eyelashes and imitated a woman's voice. "Oh cutie, this could only be made better if that handsome friend of yours was here!" He switched voices. "Ah, he was crampin' my style no da. There's plenty of monk love to go around na no da."
Kiori raised an eyebrow. "Monk love? Isn't that an oxymoron?"
Chichiri popped him over the head. "Ignore him; he's just being an idiot. And your impression of me is terrible no da!"
Akai sighed at the seishi's argument and turned her attention to the real issues of the evening. "Aoi, do you have any idea what's going on? A servant just told me to find the others and meet in the Empress' private chamber."
"And they didn't tell you anything?" She shook her head. Aoi fiddled with the lining of his shirt, glancing up towards the Konan Wall nervously. "One of the sentries spotted campfires in the nearby woods. Takkan's army has arrived!"
"'The five warriors and their companion quickened their pace, rushing to meet the Empress. The enemy had finally come, and at dawn the war for Konan would begin.'" Keisuke set down the book for a moment, but only paused long enough to take a sip of his beer. "End Chapter Four."
---
---
Author's Mundane Ramblings: December 17, 2005; 11:43 PM
Hao, minna-san!
Well here I am again, posting the fourth episode as quickly as possible, as promised! I probably would've had it out sooner, in fact, but Real Life kinda ganged up on me this last week. Finals are the devil, just to let you all know. *sigh...*
No real “changes,” in this one, though I did add some detail to Chichiri & Houki's discussion, and quite a lot of detail to that final scene with the Elements. I really want to add a little more personality to the Elements early on, so I can focus on the Konan characters later on in the story, so for all you FY:NC veterans out there, look for a little more personal detail for our so-called antagonists!
Not much else to say, is there? I hope everyone has a lovely winter break, and I'll see you all in the next installment (which should be in a couple of weeks if all goes well). Oh, and I know that Mediaminer isn't exactly well-known for reviews, but if do you want to R&R I would really appreciate it. Feedback makes the world go `round, doncha know! ^_^ Anyway, take care everyone! `Till next time!
Your Authoress - Dee