Fushigi Yuugi Fan Fiction ❯ Gems of Blue ❯ Chalcedony ( Chapter 8 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Chapter 8: Chalcedony

Tessen was glad to see Lapis again. He was even more glad to see Tsuyomi.
"I was worried that you would loose this little bandit on your journeys. It seems the only thing you lost was your long hair." He said as he sat up in his futon. Lapis put some pillows behind him to prop him up.
"I thought keeping it shoulder length would be easier to manage."
"Yes, and it makes it easier to disguise as a boy when you need to. Although, I believe it would be difficult to disguise that incredible beauty of yours." Tessen said as he coughed a couple of times.
"You should lie back down. You are very sick."
"I am just glad I could see you again before I passed away."
"Don't say that. You will make me cry. Hin princesses are not supposed to cry."
"I would be happy to let you cry for me. I won't tell anyone if you did. You are very special to me. Forgive an old man, but I have been captivated by you as much as I have admired you. I love you. If I was a younger man, you would be the one I would court. Your noble heart, your strength, your free spirit. Heck, you are not afraid to get your hands dirty either."
"Well, among the Hin, I was forced to work as hard or harder than everyone else. Anyone who did not show their worth was cast out."
"Was that what happened to Lazuli?"
"No. Lazuli ran away because the priests insisted as soon as we turned fourteen, that we be married. Despite, that we were brother and sister."
"How the wandering tribes have changed in the last two hundred years."
"What does that mean, Tessen?"
"I will tell you when your brother, and Genrou return to us."


Lapis and Tessen grew very close.
Tessen insisted on caring for Tsuyomi while Lapis was out on patrols. He started referring to the baby as his own son. Tsuyomi did wonders for Tessen's health.
Genrou returned first. He immediately went to see how Tessen was.
"Who's the kid boss?"
"Lapis is back. This is my new adopted son, Tsuyomi."
"Well, at least you are doing better. You are up walking around."
"Yes, but I still am not in good shape. Lapis has been wonderful in helping me out around here. She really has turned into a mother hen for all of my men."
"Well she had better not try the mothering thing with me. I had enough of that before I came here."
"You say that now, but wait until you the food. Heck, she has taught some of the younger men to help her in the kitchen. They have turned out to be rather good cooks."
"Oh! Genrou! You are back!" Lapis said as she rushed in and threw her arms around Genrou. She nearly knocked him over.
"Hey, get off of me will ye?"
"Alright, alright. It is just good to see you again. I have the bath ready if you want a dip."
"Bath?!"
"Yeah. That one room that had the sinking spot in it, well I dug around a bit and found some tile around the sink spot. Through all of the garbage and rubble, nobody could tell it was a bath. Me and some of the guys dug it out and fixed it. I even found out how whomever built the thing got the water in. It works great."
"Well, after a couple of months on the road, a bath sounds nice."
Lapis followed Genrou in to the bath room. Two guys were already in the large pool splashing around. They stopped their horseplay long enough to yell hellos at Genrou.
Genrou stood there while Lapis gathered the laundry, looking at her questionably.
"Well, Genrou? Get your clothes off and get in. I will put clean clothes for you in the next room while I get those clean." Lapis said as she pointed to a side door to the bath room.
"Hey! I ain't taking my clothes off in front of you!"
"Oh cut it out, Genrou. I have seen every guy in this gang naked at least once and I ain't interested. Hell, I had to help Tessen to bathe every day once we got this thing finished."
"What?!"
Lapis tacked Genrou down and started pulling his clothes off. The two in the bath started laughing at the scene maniacally.
"Get off of me!"
"Give me those clothes so I can get them washed!"
"No!"
"Quit acting so modest!"
"I don't need a mother!"
"Then get your clothes off so I don't have to mother you!"
"Alright, Alright! Just get off of me. Its obscene."
Lapis let Genrou up and stood there while he finished disrobing. She held out her hands for his clothes and did not take her eyes off his face. Once she had his clothes, she promptly left the room in a huff.
"I hate girls."


It was another two months before Lazuli showed up. He looked road weary, but in very good health.
"Well, it is about time you showed up, brother." Lapis said as soon as he walked through the front door.
"I was in Makkan Village helping with the harvest. I felt it was the least I could do."
"And, I am sure you wanted to give away the bride."
"Bride?"
"Takumi. I suppose she married Kaika as soon as they got back."
"That's right, you don't know. I found Kaika and Takumi about an hour's ride from our camp when I left you. The Kutou soldiers murdered them for the horse. I went to tell Kaika's parents about his death, and to help them with the harvest."
"Oh." Lapis said as she covered her face with her sleeve and hung her head.
"Lapis? What has happened to you? I thought Hin princesses never cried."
"I have learned that error. Tessen has taught me many things in the last four months. I am going to stay here through the winter. I suggest you do too. It is much safer. Kutou soldiers seem to leave this place alone."
"Sounds good. "
"Lazuli!" came two voices from behind Lapis.
"Genrou! Kouji! It is great to see you two again!"
"Hey, you have got to come in here and try the great bathhouse that Lapis fixed. You don't have to go down to the common house now, unless you want 'other' entertainment." Kouji said.
"I will let you catch up. I have to go see Tessen. I go out on my patrol tomorrow."


A few weeks later, once Lapis got back from her patrol, Tessen called her, Lazuli, Genrou and Kouji into his rooms for a private meeting. Tsuyomi toddled back and fourth between his mother and Tessen.
"I have something very important to talk to all of you about. Above all of my men, I trust you four. You have each done more for the gang than any six of the others. At the same time, you have been humble about doing more than your share. As you know, I have been ill for many months. I want to make sure that the gang is well taken care of once I am gone."
"Tessen, please don't speak like that."
"It is alright, Lapis. I am not a young man. I have decided who will succeed me after I am gone. It will be you, Genrou."
"Me? Boss, I ain't even sixteen yet. Most of these guys are a lot older than me."
"Yes, but I trust you the most. You are the one that is most like a son I never had. Kouji, you will be second in command. Genrou has a destiny that he will need to follow. When he is away, I want you to take over for him."
"Right boss."
"Lazuli, Lapis, the destiny you two have will be the roughest. Especially yours, Lazuli. All I have to do is look at that birthmark on your chest to know it will not be easy for you."
"It is nothing, it just looks like a bluish round blob."
"You need to look closer at it."
"Alright, but I still think it looks like a blob."
"I have a scroll my grandmother gave to me. Once, before Kutou became greedy, most of the Wandering Tribes were simple artisans and merchants. " Tessen said as he pulled out a worn scroll and his fan.
"This fan is not only my namesake. It is what marks me as the last of my tribe. Reikaku is named after that tribe. This place was once the retreat of the wanderers I am descended from. This fan marks me as the leader of my tribe, as it had for generations. Genrou, have you ever noticed how your looks resemble mine somewhat?"
"Well, we both have red hair, well, yours is mostly gray, but has some red. The guys always comment on how I have fangs just like you do. Other than that, I don't think we look a thing alike."
"The hair and the fangs as you call them indicate that we both have the blood of the Reikaku Wanderers in our veins. Once they reached this refuge, the remainder of the tribe disbanded, preferring to live among the people of Konan. The leadership of this group yours by right, Genrou. Mind you, if I did not trust you, I would have never said a word. You earned my trust, and therefore my succession."
"Whoa. That is really deep, Boss."
"It gets deeper. " Tessen said as he opened the scroll." This is a historical account of what happened to the Wandering Tribes. Over two hundred years ago, the tribes lived in peace, selling and trading their wares. They gave aid to any nation who would support their existence. They worshipped the four gods equally. It says here that they were protectors of a secret temple called The Palace Where Four Rule Peacefully. Where this temple exactly is, has been lost to time."
"Why were we never taught this?" Lazuli asked impatiently as Tsuyomi snuggled into his arms and fell asleep.
"I will tell you. The emperor who ruled Kutou over two hundred years ago was vain and power hungry, as are all his progeny. He decided that he wanted to rule the entire world. He attacked several of the wandering tribes with his armies trying to find the location of the secret temple. Those that knew, refused to tell, and were murdered. The women and children of the tribes were enslaved to work the fields to provide food for the emperor's growing army."
"That is barbaric!" Kouji said.
"When he did not get what he wanted, the Kutou emperor decided he would have to take the world by force. He started by expanding his borders, destroying and enslaving as many of the wandering tribes as he could. We were scattered. After twenty years of such destruction, only a few tribes remained."
"The Hin among the survivors." Lazuli commented.
"Yes, the Hin gathered into their fold many of the other tribes. Their survival did not come without a great and terrible price. The surviving tribes were going through so much suffering and pain, that they were manipulated into worshipping a demon who appeared from out of nowhere. The cheerful and carefree songs of the tribes turned to chants of hate. Their peaceful wanderings turned to works of brutality and evil."
"You are speaking of Tenkou, aren't you, Tessen?"
"Yes, Lapis. He is the embodiment of all that is evil. As his power grew, Tenkou was able to influence Seriyu himself. Yet, the demon was never able to overpower the god as he wanted to. In order to do that, Tenkou needed to find the location of the secret temple. Seriyu was not about to tell him where it was, and none who survived knew."
"So, it is safe to say that Tenkou has been manipulating this situation all this time?"
"Perhaps Kouji. Who really knows? At the end of this scroll it tells of Taitskun, the controller. She had a prophesy of how that the four gods, once they worked together, could vanquish the usurper. Each nation, north, south, east and west, was given a scroll. Once all four prophecies contained in those scrolls was completed, the evil one would be vanquished. My scroll also says that a king will die for his evil, through this, a new empire will be born. That is all."
"So what does this have to this blob on my chest, Boss?" Lazuli asked.
"As you grow, the birthmark becomes clearer to see. You will understand later."
"So you are not going to tell me?"
"No, because I am not sure of what it means myself. Lazuli, there is one other matter I need to ask you about. If you give your approval, Lapis has agreed to give up her false marriage, and marry me. We will wed as soon as there is a nice day, if you approve?"
Lazuli stood, handed the toddler to Lapis, nodded his head and smiled. "I approve. You are a hell of a lot better than that rotten brother of mine. Lapis, give me the amulet."
"It is yours, brother." She said as she handed it over.
"Please excuse me," Kouji said as he slowly stood and left the room.
"Alright, you old dog! I hope she gives you some more little bandits before I take over! Lapis! Hail queen of the bandits!"
"Here, my bride. Take this necklace. My mother gave it to me to give to my bride. It is made of chalcedony. I hope you like it, my love."
"It is beautiful." Lapis said as she kissed Tessen.


Tessen married Lapis the next weekend. All of the bandits seemed happy for the Boss' good luck, except for Kouji.
Kouji wandered around in a daze for the next few days. He had just turned sixteen, making him a man. He had decided that it was the perfect time to tell Lapis how he felt.
"I should have known something was up when she moved into the boss' rooms." He mused to himself.
"What's the matter Kouji? Jealous of the boss?" Genrou slapped his best friend on the back.
"No, yes, hell I don't know."
"Well don't take it too personal. I think Lapis is doing the boss a favor. I mean, the boss is getting older, and his health isn't the best. The boss never got a chance to have a wife or kids." Genrou said changing to a more serious tone. "I know the Boss regretted never taking time to have a family. Lapis can't cure old age and hard living. The Boss is still dying. She is trying to make him comfortable and happy for his last days. Heck, if you were a girl, wouldn't you do the same? Whether she really is in love with him or not, well, whose to say."
"I suppose you're right. I am going out on the next patrol, Genrou. I will see you when I get back."
"Yeah, at least one of us has to stick around and make sure nobody bothers Lapis or the Boss."