Fushigi Yuugi Fan Fiction ❯ Pain of Loss and Gain ❯ The Interview ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Pain of Loss and Gain

`Chapter 1` The Interview

By: Gator Ri

Yeah, I know I shouldn't be starting another fanfic but…ah well. A few notes about this one before we get started. This is definitely an AU as in Basically the whole Suzaku thing, it didn't happen. It just makes it easier for me that way. Oh and all the Seishi that I'm using have different names, some of them from VA's and such. So lets see how well you know your Seishi. :) Before I go any further this fic is for Thug Angel Named Jen. She was the one who requested that I write on like this, so here it is. Enjoy, no da!

He sat at his large oak desk that was littered at the moment with the papers of the file that he was looking over.

He frowned thoughtfully at the little information given there. Dropping the paper on his desk he leaned back in the large comfortable leather chair and rubbed at his chin, he wouldn't be able to tell much until after the interview.

A chocolate eye strayed to the antique clock on the corner of his desk, he didn't have much time.

Pushing the chair back the thin man got up and walked to the double set of french doors that led to the balcony, outside his office. He didn't open them he just stared at the skyline of Tokyo in silent apprehension. He was always like this when first interviews for potential patients came along. What if he couldn't help this woman? What if he failed? His stomach knotted at these two similar questions as a thin coat of sweat broke out on his palms.

Closing his eyes he took a few moments and let his breathing slow and the worry and anxiety wash away with each out going breath, just like his old master had taught him.

Feeling a bit easier, he wiped his hands on the somewhat expensive black dress pants that he wore and went over to the speakerphone that sat one corner of his desk.

He stared at it a few moments, "Come on you know you'll do fine. You always do once the patient is in font of you." With that running through his mind he pushed the button that would let him talk to his secretary, "Please, send her in."

"Right-O!" came the cheerful feminine voice of the secretary, whom happened to be a good friend as well.

With another deep breath he turned back to the glass doors and resumed to look out upon the gray day as he waited for her to enter.

----------------------------------------------------

"You may go in now," the purple-headed man said from behind his desk.

She looked up with large doe eyes and blinked, "W-What?" she asked her voice sounding quivery and weak.

"You can go in," he blonde-headed brother prodded her, from the chair beside her.

Nodding her chestnut head the young woman got to her feet and made her way to the double oak doors. She paused with her hand on the cool metal of the door knob and then finally turning it she opened the oak barrier and walked through, her other hand tightly clutching at a hanky.

The door shut with a soft click behind her making her jump slightly at the sudden sound in the quiet office.

Again she paused and looked briefly around the room, basically only noting that it seemed comfortable.

He turned after haring the sound of the door softly click shut. His dark eyes falling upon the small woman, clenching the worn out handkerchief.

"Good afternoon," he greeted her in a soothing voice, it sounding smooth and somewhat low.

She turned her large brown eyes on him, they held pain and fear as well as many other emotions, not necessarily good ones. His hear went out to her at this observation, his apprehension now forgotten.

"G-Good afternoon," she responded her voice barely penetrating the quite of the room.

He gave her a soft smile that didn't show teeth nor did it reach his eyes, "Please, have a seat, Miss."

As he offered her one he took his own behind the desk and looked at the interview form he had there, with the questions that he usually asked.

Nodding the slender woman took a seat in one of the comfortable chairs that was facing the desk.

He watched her a few moments before writing something on one of the papers.

Appearance and Behavior

Nervous

Dressed nicely

Slumped posture, defeated and fearful expression

He then looked up at her and smiled again, this time showing his even white teeth, "Would you mind introducing yourself?"

She looked at the man whom didn't look much older than herself and weakly returned his smile, "M-Miaka Suknami," her voice still quivering.

He nodded his head causing his long powdery blue bangs to fall in his face, at which he brushed them behind his ear, "Do you know what date it is?"

She nodded, "March thirteenth."

"Good. Do you know where you are and who I am?" he asked gently.

She looked off to the side for a few moments chewing on her bottom lip, "In you office…" she paused and then turned her gaze back to him, "Dr. um…" she gave a shrug, she couldn't remember, even though her brother had told her on the way over.

He gave nod, "I am Dr. Sean Mitchell," he stood up and reached over the desk, holding his hand out to her, at which she stared blankly at for a few moments before finally shaking it.

He frowned mentally as he sat back down, this wasn't looking too good. Picking up his pen he wrote a few more things down.

Thought Processes

Very slow. She seems very distant

There's a slight stutter to her speech

Sensorium

Is not very aware of her surroundings

Again she is very distant

As he was jotting these observations down he kept an eye on her.

Appearance and Behaviors

Keeps wringing handkerchief

Looks around a lot with a rather anxious/fearful expression

Putting his pen down he rubbed his chin thoughtfully before asking his next question, "Can you tell me why you're hear, Mrs. Suknami?"

She looked down at her hands and gripped the cloth tightly, trying to keep them from shaking, "I-I don't know."

He just gave her a patient nod, "Okay, then how have you been feeling lately? And for how long."

She looked uncertain or at least from what he could tell, since she was still staring at her now white knuckled hands.

"Tired, like I can't go on," she started, "As if the loss is going to overwhelm me," she paused to swallow the lump in her throat, her voice sounding strained, "I-I don't really care anymore. This life h-has no meaning. N-not with out…." She trailed off as she looked up at him in a painful anxious manner.

"Then that is why you're here," he replied in his gentle voice, "What is you loss?" he asked almost delicately.

"T-Ta-Taka," she barely whispered as her voice cracked. Bowing her head she hid her face in her hands as he shoulders started to shake softly.

"It is okay," he soothed as his eyes strayed to the clock, they didn't have much time, which was a good thing, she had been pushed as far as he dared for now.

Getting to his feet he walked over and knelt beside her, "It is okay," he repeated softly as he put an arm around the distraught woman's shoulders.

"We've done enough for today," the doctor said in the same tone as he helped her to her feet and escorted her to the door.

Opening it he escorted her through it, at which a young man came to take Miaka from Sean. Wrapping her in his own arms as he tried to soothe her.

"Please make an appointment for net week," he told the man, before turning and disappearing back into his office, not wanting to witness the scene anymore than he had too.

Taking a seat back in his comfortable chair he sighed heavily as he continued to fill out the interview form, or at least what he could of it. He looked up after a few minutes when he heard a knock on the door. "Come in," he called as he put the pen down.

His secretary's purple head a and more pretty than handsome face peeked around the door, "Hello! Just thought I would see what you think about your new patient." The feminine man said this as he slipped in and closed the door behind him.

The psychologist shrugged, "It is hard to say. Besides you know I can not disclose anything about her, William."

The man's face fell slightly as he took a seat in one of the comfortable chairs, the one that the woman had vacated not long ago to be precise. He really did love his friend's office it was so…normal. No plaques or certificates hung on the wall to intimidate or show off. Instead there was a calm forest scene that covered the walls, one that Sean himself had painted.

The one big casing of shelves that were built into the length of the left wall held books of ever type not just those on the subject of psychology, as well as a few statues and figurines of various things.

Even the doctor himself looked normal with a kind looking young handsome face, long powdery blue hair always tied in a neat ponytail, with the stubborn bangs always slipping into his chocolate eyes. Then his neat nice casual not too dressy clothes always worn with a pair of loafers.

"What can you tell me, Sean?"

He sighed softly as his soft gaze fell upon his friend, "That she needs help and her brother did the fight thing in getting her here."

The more delicate looking man gave a nod of his head, "That's on reason why I accepted an appointment with out your go ahead. Even though I know you prefer to speak with them personally."

He studied the other man for a moment from the short purple hair with the long fluffy bangs that hung in large violet eyes to the delicate features of the face and the rest of the man, with narrow shoulders and hips to thin hands. Sean rather felt for his friend, for because of his girlish looks many women refused to think of him as more than a friend or even believe that William was straight. Thus Sean himself had mended a lot of broken hearts, that all belonged to the same person.

"Well, I am glad you did," even though he had been a bit ruffled at first, "For most Psychiatrists or even Psychologists for that matter would have sent her out of here packing at lest two prescriptions for antidepressants if not more."

He leaned back in his chair brooding about this, that is one thing he could not stand about most of his peers, the medicalization of their patient's problems.

"Oh are you going to Josh's show at 'Sakuya's' tonight?"

Sean blinked his eyes as he barely caught the question, having been so deep in thought.

"I know Richard, Zan, and I are going. What time do you want to be picked up?"

The psychologist nodded his head, "Sure, sound like fun. What time?" He obviously had missed the other's question.

Billy bit his lip in thought, "Seven-thirty?"

"Sounds good, especially if you let me get some work done," Sean teased dryly.

"Sure thing! Coz you're not going to use that excuse tonight, Dr. Mitchell!" the man stated loudly as he made his way to the door.

"Let me know when my next appointment arrives," he called after the over excitable man.

"Sure thing!" Came the reply as the door shut with a soft click.

Okay I am going to define a few things for some people who do not know the difference between a Psychiatrist and a Psychologist. What they're not the same? You ask. Nope! They are two different things.

Psychiatrist: first earn and M.D. degree in medical school, then specialize in psychiatry during a 3-4 year residency training. They investigate the nature and causes of psychological disorders, often from a biological point of view, and offer treatments. Many psychiatrists emphasize drugs or other biological treatments, although most use psychosocial treatments as well. And because they have an M.D. they may prescribe drugs directly.

Psychologist: receive a Ph.D degree (or sometimes a Psy.D., doctor of psychology, or Ed.D., doctor of education) and follow a course of graduate-level study, lasting approximately 5 years, that prepares them to conduct research into causes and treatment of psychological disorders and to diagnose, assess, and treat these disorders. They too may prescribe drugs but are less likely, in most cases, and the patient has to go to a doctor to get the actual prescription.

If there is ever anything else in the course of this fic that boggles you and you don't under stand feel free to ask because I might not necessarily catch everything. Please review the story, otherwise…*shrugs*