Fushigi Yuugi Fan Fiction ❯ The Universe of the Four Gods ❯ "I can't stop it..." ( Chapter 11 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
In the meantime, Zoku races forward, kneeling down next to Tasuke. The blow to the neck had made him slightly dizzy. When he rises to his feet with Zoku’s help, nausea sweeps over him. Head sagging, he tips haphazardly to the side. Zoku leans forward, acting as a brace. A worried frown marring her features, Zoku grabs Tasuke’s left arm and places it over her shoulder, propping him up with her own weight.

Finally snapping out of his shock, Nakago glances towards the two in time to see Zoku helping Tasuke towards the door. Nakago shakes his head, stepping forward to block their escape.

“Get out of my way,” Zoku snaps, eyes blazing. Tasuke, with his head resting against his chest, glares up at Nakago, one eye pinching almost shut against the dull pain racking through him. The general shakes his head.

“I’m afraid I can’t do that. Not until you see the truth,” Nakago replies in a sorrowful voice. Zoku glares.

“If you are my ally, as you claim to be, then you wouldn’t hurt my friends.” The general nods in apology at Zoku’s accusing words. Zoku turns her head to peer at Tasuke. Startled, Tasuke glances up at Zoku, gaze wavering as he fights the dizziness that consumes him. He sees a strange light glinting in her eyes. The ends of her soft lips are lightly turned down.

Tasuke’s eyes widen. “Zoku…” he breathes in foreboding. The young girl gives a fraction shake of her head. Tasuke’s grip on her shoulder tightens. In response, Zoku flashes him a reassuring smile, before turning to face Nakago once more. The general merely stands there, arms crossed over his chest.

“I will come with you to Kouto to meet my sister.” Her eyes glisten with uncertainty. “We have much to catch up on,” she says in a wistful tone. Nodding, Nakago steps forward as he prepares to relieve Zoku of her burden. The girl shifts to the side so her body is acting as a shield in front of Tasuke. “You will not, however, touch my friend. Do you understand me?” The general halts suddenly.

Head pounding, Tasuke rests against Zoku’s comforting weight, arms quivering. Slightly from pain, slightly from apprehension. What was Zoku thinking? Nakago shakes his head. “But my lady, he is not your friend. He is trying to trick you against your own sister,” the general explains. Zoku arches a brow at the general.

“If he is not my friend, then why did he try to protect me,” she responds coldly, voice quivering lightly with lightly repressed fear. The general shakes his head solemnly.

“If you wish to believe he was protecting you, then please, continue to do so,” Nakago replies gently. Zoku’s frown becomes testy. What did he mean, if she wished to believe? It was the honest truth! Why else would Tasuke have put himself in harms way for her? “But, my lady, please hear me out. He was trying to keep you from me and the truth. He doesn’t want you to come with me.” Stung by the words, Zoku glances down at Tasuke.

He merely stares up at her with a sullen look. It’s true, he was her friend, but they’d only just met. Heck, for all Zoku knew, it could’ve been Tasuke who hurt her in the first place! A shiver runs down her spine. ‘No! It’s not true. He helped me. He carried me here. And still…well, if I do have a sister, like this man says…’

“If I am to come with you,” Zoku starts, ignoring Tasuke’s startled look, “I should at least know your name.” The general, sensing his victory, loosens up a bit.

“Forgive me, my lady. I am General Nakago of Kouto, of the Seiryu Seven,” Nakago introduces with a flourish of his arms, sweeping back his cape. Zoku nods slowly, trying to remember that name. She realizes that Tasuke’s intense gaze is focused on her. Grip tightening on his palm, Zoku gazes down at Tasuke's upturned face

His features are cold.

“What are you doing?” he asks in a hoarse voice. Without taking her gaze off of him, Zoku bends her head close to Tasuke.

“He might be able to tell me who and what I am. I have to figure that out,” she says softly with a frown. Seeing Tasuke’s worried look, Zoku growls beneath her breath. “Geeze, it’s not like you’re never gonna see me again. I’m a big girl…I can take care of myself. I’ll come right back after I find out what I need to know.” Wordlessly, Zoku helps Tasuke over to the bed, before sitting him down on it. Head swimming, Tasuke sags forward, reaching out for Zoku. Gaze wavering, Zoku catches his searching hand in her own, giving it a reassuring squeeze. “You’ve been a good friend to me, Tasuke.”

With quick agile movements Zoku rises to her feet and strides over to Nakago, standing in front of the general. A slightly skeptical look colors her features. “Let’s go.” Tasuke would’ve tumbled forward in a heap without Zoku’s hand to balance him, but a soft almost air barrier keeps him upright. His eyes widen slightly as he realizes the source of the barrier.

Nodding in response to Zoku, Nakago raises a hand, preparing to port them out. Suddenly, a blue barrier surrounds both the general and Zoku. Blinking, Zoku’s shoulders hunch down slightly in surprise. “What the hell was that?” she asks Nakago in shock, gaze narrowing. The general merely grins. Whirling around, Zoku sees a blast of energy disengage from the bubble and shoot towards Tasuke. “No don’t hurt him! You promised!” she shrieks. Frantically she lurches forward, but the shield not only keeps things from getting in, but keeps her from getting out. Lips thinning in annoyance, Zoku pounds furtively on the barrier, crying Tasuke’s name.

Hopelessly, she watches as the blue energy hurtles towards Tasuke. Then, suddenly, it slides off Tasuke like a drop of rain and hits the opposite wall, blowing a hole through the room. Behind her, Nakago lets his hand fall to his side and turns towards the door. Relief floods Zoku.

“Chichiri.” The one word, like a summons, draws Chichiri from his hiding. In a flash of black, he appears, clutching his redwood staff. Blinking, Zoku turns to face the young magician, frowning. His face, which was usually in a happy smile, is now turned down into a worried frown. When he spots Zoku standing with Nakago, he starts backwards. Automatically he assumes she’s been a spy the entire time.

“Tasuke,” Chichiri calls, keeping his gaze locked on Nakago. Nakago returns his steady gaze. The young man on the bed grunts as he tries to stumble to his feet. A new wave of dizziness washes over Tasuke, and he sinks back down onto the mattress.

“What?” he barks out weakly. The magician frowns.

“Can you move, you know?” he asks in a monotone voice. The blonde general, with a smirk, raises his hands as if to strike. Zoku’s eyes widen, arms stiffening at her sides. Tasuke, seeing this, shifts into a more pleasing position. If the general did attack, this time he would be ready. But, since Nakago’s gaze is on Chichiri, Tasuke assumes he means to attack the other Suzaku warrior.

“Kinda,” Tasuke replies. Nakago’s eyes narrow. Another ball of energy disperses from the ball. Only this time, it heads towards Chichiri. The magician teleports out of the way of the attack, reappearing at Tasuke’s side in time to catch the young man before he falls forward. Chichiri had dropped the shield that had held him upright.

“Put your arm around my shoulders you know,” Chichiri instructs, and Tasuke obliges. Helping the man to his feet, Chichiri turns just as Nakago turns his head to stare at them. The rune on his forehead glows an intimidating sapphire color, and suddenly another blast of spiritual energy, though not as strong as before, shoots towards the two of them. Chichiri raises his hands, repelling the blow with his own powers. “Dang! I can’t do this forever, you know!” Chichiri cries, as Nakago releases another energy wave.

“Nakago,” Zoku growls in a stern voice. The general turns to her. Her hands are clenched into fists, and her shoulders are stiff. “Stop this right now! They’re my friends!” The general’s features remain as featureless as a stone.

“That does not concern me. Besides, this is for your own good.” Right as Nakago says this, a little ball of red shoots towards them, coming from Chichiri’s outstretched hands. Tasuke, too weary to speak, lets his head hang against his chest.

The attack slides off the invisible ball surrounding Nakago and Zoku, yet the force of it jolts the barriers inhabitants. Nakago keeps his balance easily, but Zoku pitches to the side, stumbling slight as she holds a hand to her chest. Her gaze slowly rises to watch Chichiri sadly. Quickly she tells herself he was merely defending himself. Still, her features are creased in confusion.

“You see, my lady?” Nakago shouts over the sounds of battle as Chichiri lets yet another energy ball fly. Again, it is repelled. Nakago, the rune shimmering, returns the magician’s attack with his own powers. The next hit from Chichiri makes the barrier around the general waver. Chichiri watches Nakago in hope, but to his dismay the barrier holds.

“This isn’t good, you know,” Chichiri murmurs to Tasuke. “Hold on tight, you know, this is gonna get rough.” Raising a hand slowly, Nakago lets another powerful blast roar towards the two Suzaku warriors. Little drops of sweat dot Chichiri’s brow, as he prepares to fight off the attack.

Outstretching his arms, Chichiri cries out as the attack slides around his own barrier, cutting across his right arm. A gaping wound instantly forms, a trickle of blood running down his arm. Staggering to the side, Chichiri catches himself before toppling over with Tasuke. The other man puts a hand on Chichiri to help steady him. They stand there helplessly in front of Nakago, both trying to hold the other up.

Zoku stands beside Nakago, arms shaking, eyes wide in anger. ‘Tasuke.’ Nakago raises his arm once more. “Stop…” Zoku hisses. The rune on Nakago’s forehead glows. “Stop it…” The general grins. “I said stop!” Zoku screams. “If you lay one finger on them I swear to god I’ll…I’ll kill you!” The last word smashes against Nakago like a brick wall, quite psychically jolting him backwards. The force of Zoku’s anger whirls around the room, knocking Tasuke and Chichiri back.