Fushigi Yuugi Fan Fiction ❯ The Universe of the Four Gods ❯ Surpised meeting ( Chapter 15 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
The sun sinks slowly towards the horizon, casting the sky into a burst of color ranging from oranges to reds and purples to blues. Soon after, the moon climbs gracefully into the sky, casting a warming glow across the Emperor’s palace like a silvery blanket. The plaster walls glow with an eerie light, in turn causing the castle to look elegantly holy.

Tasuke, however, is oblivious to the beauty that surrounds him. Only one thing is one his mind as he walks down the hall towards the emperor’s private chambers. That one thought, is Zoku. The young girl whom he’d med but once, but whom he was sure would stick in his mind for a while to come. There was just…something about her that Tasuke found comforting and reliable.

Perhaps it was her faith in him. Despite the circumstances in the room on the day of her capture, she did not run away in fear. She stayed, trusting Tasuke to protect her. One hand clenching into a fist, Tasuke stops suddenly.

“But I didn’t…I couldn’t…” Tasuke murmurs aloud, eyes quivering in repressed anger. He glances down at his hands, unclenching his white knuckles. “I couldn’t even protect one girl!” His voice rises in pitch but with a fervent effort he controls his emotions through clenched teeth. His nails dig into his palms, and slowly he forces himself to relinquish his grip.

Tasuke turns suddenly, pounding his fist into a pillar holding up an overhang of the roof. Little cracks spread out from his fist as it crushes right through the rough stone, leaving a gaping hole.

“Tasuke,” the concerned voice of Miaka calls softly. Tasuke continues to stare at the hole in the pillar, before he slowly retracts his hand. A few scrapes fleck his knuckles, but none are too severe. Without turning, he addresses the priestess.

“What do you want,” Tasuke asks in a harsh voice. The silence that follows tells Tasuke he’s hurt Miaka. Taking in a deep breath, Tasuke turns to explain himself. Miaka moves forward right as he turns, so their noses are nearly touching. Eyes widening, Tasuke stumbles backwards. Miaka, kind eyes wide with sadness, faces him awkwardly.

“I’m sorry to bother you like this,” she begins in a gentle voice. Tasuke opens his mouth to respond, but Miaka raises a hand to silence him. With a grunt and a frown, Tasuke hesitantly complies with her wishes. “I know you’re sad about Zoku. She was my friend too. I don’t understand why she left like that…what made her want to leave so….what made her hate us so…” Miaka murmurs. For a moment Tasuke wonders whether she’s talking about Zoku or Yui.

Then it dawns on him. This must be a double blow for Miaka. Now, not only has she lost Yui, but she’s lost Zoku. Stepping forward, Tasuke wordlessly places his arms around Miaka, holding her close. The priestess, at first startled, glances up at Tasuke with a blush. But he closes his eyes and merely holds her. After a moment, Miaka’s rigid arms loosen and she rests her head against Tasuke’s chest, silent tears streaking her cheeks.

Finally, with a sniff, Miaka steps back, peering up at Tasuke sheepishly. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to-“

Tasuke brushes away her apology. “Dun worry about it.” He offers her one of his lop sided grins, and she smiles brightly.

“Alright. I really came here to tell you that we’re plotting a rescue mission. I don’t believe that Zoku is a spy. I know Nakago is planning something, and I just don’t know what. We’re not gonna give Zoku up without a fight,” Miaka announces triumphantly, raising a fist into the air. Eyes sliding closed, Tasuke forces a grin. The priestess’ triumphant air soon dissipates. “What is it?” The doubt in his features answers her questions. A belligerent look clouds Miaka’s features. “I know if I can just get to her, just talk to her, then things will be alright!” Miaka says, voice the spitting image of determination.

Eyes snapping open, Tasuke turns to peer at Miaka. “Are we talking about Zoku or Yui?” His voice is harsh as he says this. Miaka’s lips thin into a pale line. But, alas, she has no words of reproach, for the words Tasuke has just spoken are the naked truth. Hands clenching into fists at her sides, Miaka shakes her head.

“I won’t give either of them up without a fight! I’m tired of losing my friends! Why do we have to fight? There’s no need!” Miaka shouts angrily, shaking her head vigorously. “It doesn’t have to be like this. I know Yui doesn’t really wanna hurt me. And Zoku…” Here Miaka lets her comment trail off. Tasuke fills in the missing words.

‘Zoku is an unreadable book. We don’t know what to make of her, and therefore we are scared of her.’ Sighing in exasperation, Tasuke turns with his hands in his pockets to balefully watch the moon. Taking in a deep breath, he replies to Miaka’s unspoken question. She watches him intently. “Alright. I’ll help you try to get Zoku back,” he gruffly replies.

Miaka leans against his back suddenly, arms folded over her chest and eyes squinting suspiciously. “Try to get Zoku back? You don’t think we can do it?” Miaka pesters him, voice accusing. Tasuke glances sidelong at her, slightly nervous.

“I didn’t say that,” he retorts, an embarrassed look crossing his features. Miaka’s features twist into a mask of amusement and scorn.

“Silly boys! I’ll never understand them,” Miaka says in an airy voice, shrugging her shoulders. “Oh well! I’d best be off. See you around, Tasuke!” Before she leaves, Miaka gives Tasuke’s back a mighty slap. Stumbling forward with a grunt, Tasuke whirls around to give Miaka a piece of his mind only to find her gone.

“Heh, girls,” he snorts, folding his arms over his chest and leaning against the railing. As he thinks of these ‘girls’ that plague him so, he lets his mind wander. To recent happenings. To his relationship with Miaka. To summoning Suzaku. And to Zoku.

A rustle in the bushes next to the railing catches his attention. Whirling around, Tasuke leans out over the railing, peering curiously into the greenery. A hand reaches out of the shadows, wrapping around his neck and dragging him down into the foliage. With a clipped yell, Tasuke topples over the edge, disappearing in the mess of leaves that makes up the bush.

It takes a moment for Tasuke’s eyes to adjust to the change in lights. When he does manage to see past his nose, however, he blanches in surprise. There, crouching over him in the bush is Zoku, back stiff as she perches with her head in the air, glancing towards the hallway. She reminds him of a rodent of some sort, remaining motionless as it listens for a predator.

“Zoku,” Tasuke breathes in disbelief. Gaze darting over to him, Zoku grins slowly. Something about her eyes startles him. Rocking forward on the balls of his feet, Tasuke touches a fingertip gently to the delicate skin beneath Zoku’s eyes. “What’s wrong with your eyes?” The girl jolts backwards with a searching look.

“Nothing. What do you mean?” Zoku asks, but Tasuke shakes his head.

“Never mind…” His features grow suddenly very sheepish, as he rests his chin in his palm, his elbow resting on his knee. “One question?” Zoku’s inquisitive gaze coaxes Tasuke on. “Why are we whispering, and why are we hiding?”

“Nakago has spies all around here, watching our every move. If he sees me here, well….you get the picture,” Zoku whispers urgently, gaze once more returning to the hallway. Something clicks for Tasuke. Bashfully, he glances towards the ground.

“Zoku, I’m sorry,” Tasuke murmurs. Slightly startled, Zoku glances back towards Tasuke. His sullen expression softens her a bit. “I’m sorry I couldn’t protect you that day. This is all happening because of me.” A slow smile spreads across her face. Once more, however, Tasuke’s features grow sheepish. “What is happening, anyway?”

Zoku shakes her head with a soft chuckle. The laugh isn’t as sweet as Tasuke remembers, more solemn, but then again she is in hiding. Probably doesn’t want to blow her cover. “Alright, I’ll fill you in. Nakago thinks I’m still in my rooms, plotting my revenge against you.” Tasuke’s brows arch towards his skull, but Zoku waves away his questioning glance. “I’ll explain later. So now I’m here, and I need you to listen very carefully to me. I found out about my past,” Zoku stumbles slightly over the word, and quickly she gazes up towards the sky, “but I can’t escape Nakago to return to you. He’ll come after me. In his haste, he may hurt you, or Miaka, or that guy with the blue hair…”

Tasuke leans back slightly as he listens to her rushed words. Whatever she’d found out about her past obviously didn’t please her. Scrambling forward as best he can, Tasuke loops his arm over Zoku’s shoulder in comfort. “I’m sorry…” The girl starts back in surprise, gazing up at Tasuke. A sudden pressure wraps around his chest, squeezing at his heart. With a gasp, Tasuke hunches forward, breathing slowly and raggedly. As quickly as it comes, the pressure is gone.

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry,” Zoku whispers hurriedly, helping to hold Tasuke up by placing her two hands on his chest. With a grunt, he shakes his head with a grin.

“Don’t. Worry. About it.” He says between pants. The clenched feeling in his chest finally disappears, and he is left with not but the memory of the sudden pain. Tasuke glances down at Zoku with a smile, only to find her gazing up at him with tears in her eyes. Sadness, however, isn’t apparent in her features. They are blank, emotionless. Tasuke instantly begins to worry.

Gaze quivering, Zoku rises suddenly to her feet and turns away from the palace, walking towards the gates. Blanching at her sudden departure, Tasuke struggles to his feet, trotting after her. “Wait! Zoku,” he says, grabbing her arm. Back stiffening, Zoku turns to face him, gaze inquisitive. “You haven’t told me what you came to tell me, yet! And besides, can’t you stay with us? We can protect you. You don’t have to go back to them,” Tasuke pleads. Gently the girl shakes her head, trying to break free of his grasp.

“I can’t,” she replies in a monotone voice. Tasuke refuses to release her.

“Why?” he asks in a soft voice. Zoku, eyes cold and sleek as diamonds, turns away from Tasuke to gaze once more at the sky.

“A lot of reasons.” Tasuke continues to gaze at her curiously. Taking in a deep breath, Zoku turns to fully face Tasuke, a peculiar light in her eyes. “People do things that aren’t in their heart when grief has taken them.” An eerie silence settles between them as Tasuke watches Zoku skeptically, and Zoku returns his gaze with a solemn one.

Finally, Zoku breaks the silence. “I came here, because I need your help.” At Tasuke’s inquiring gaze, Zoku shakes her head. “I can’t explain now. I need you and the Suzaku warriors to come to Kouto. Meet me at the palace courtyard,” she says softly, gaze urgent. Taking a step back, Tasuke rests his hands on his hips with a snort.

“But won’t we get caught?” He grins suddenly. “Nakago doesn’t like visitors.” With a smile Zoku shakes her head, eyes sliding closed in thought.

“You won’t. I over heard them talking about a training seminar that lasts throughout the entire day. Basically, no one but the maids and servants will be in Kouto’s palace,” Zoku explains, opening her eyes to watch Tasuke’s reaction. The young man stares quizzically at her. The delicate twitch of his lips tells Zoku that he doesn’t quite believe her.

After a moment, he shifts around. “No one but the maids and servants?” He blinks. “How is that possible? Nakago is a smart man, I’ll give him that,” he grunts with a shake of his head. “He wouldn’t leave his palace alone, unguarded.” A sly smile crosses Zoku’s features as Tasuke voices his doubts.

“But he won’t leave the palace unguarded,” she says with a gentle shake of her head. Tasuke watches her with a mix of caution and confusion. Zoku grins suddenly. “Apparently I’ll be the one guarding the castle. Nakago and Yui think I’m some special, Spiritual Guardian of some sort, and assume that I’ll guard the palace for them. They’ve already tested me,” she lets the comment sink in before going on, “and think I’m ready for the task.” A slow grin creeps over Tasuke’s features, matching Zoku’s own.

“That gives us an opening to get to you!” Tasuke exclaims, and Zoku nods her head wistfully.

“It’s a fool proof plan,” Zoku says with a grin. Suddenly, a blue light shimmers to the right of them. Back going rigid, Zoku’s head snaps towards that direction, eyes growing suddenly keen. Tasuke follows her gaze.

“What is it?” he asks. For a moment Zoku doesn’t reply. Then, turning towards that area, she closes her eyes slowly. Taking in a deep breath, Zoku raises her gaze towards the faint blue glow.

“I have to go now. Remember, the palace courtyard, just before the sun rises,” Zoku recites with a smile. Nodding, Tasuke watches as Zoku hurries forward. A blue light engulfs her, and swiftly she disappears. Grinning broadly, Tasuke turns and strides hurriedly towards Miaka’s chambers. He’d help them get Zoku back safely.