Fushigi Yuugi Fan Fiction ❯ The Universe of the Four Gods ❯ Preparation ( Chapter 20 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
The sky slowly brightens to herald the approach of the sun. Tasuke shoots up out of bed as the glow illuminates his room. It was almost sunrise! Stumbling to his dresser, he hurriedly tosses on his clothes. Securing the fan tightly to his back, Tasuke brushes a hand through his hair before swiftly departing from the room.

On his way down the hall to their meeting place, Tasuke bumps into Chichiri. The magician turns towards him with a grin, his staff clinking gently as he turns. “Tasuke! You’re late, ya know,” Chichiri points out. Tasuke brushes him off, hurrying towards the council room.

“I know,” he replies gruffly. Shrugging his shoulders, Chichiri hurries after Tasuke. The two enter the room just as Miaka steps in with Tamahome and Nuriko. The priestess’ eyes are red and puffy from her lack of sleep, and her usually bright smile is weak with exhaustion.

“Tasuke, Chichiri,” says Miaka in way of greeting. Chichiri bows his head, but Tasuke merely grins. Nuriko watches the two boys with a smirk.

“Better late then never,” she announces with a grunt. Chichiri chuckles nervously, and now it’s Tasuke’s turn to shrug. Hotohori steps towards the group, flanked by Chiriko and Mitsukake. The emperor smiles at Miaka. Sleepily, she returns his bright look.

“Good morning Hotohori!” Miaka says cheerfully. Tamahome, fighting to stay awake, stumbles over to Tasuke. Wearily, he tosses his arm over the boys shoulder, resting his weight against Tasuke.

“If I fall asleep,” he murmurs with a blink, “punch me.” Tasuke grins, folding his arms over his chest. Hotohori nods in return to Miaka’s greeting, turning to the rest of the group.

“Despite Zoku’s assurance that the palace will be safe, I bid you all to be careful. There is no knowing what hidden magic lies dormant within Kouto’s walls. Be ready for anything. Not only is Nakago strong, but he is also cunning. Believe nothing you see, and guard each other well,” Hotohori says in a proud voice. His gaze travels over to Miaka at the last bit of his phrase. With a start, he looks away. Miaka continues to smile.

“Now, you had best hurry. The sun is about ready to rise.” Hotohori gazes around the circle. In turn, each member nods, with the exception, of course, for Tasuke. Already he is focusing on the task ahead. He realizes then that he still doesn’t know what Zoku wants their help with. He’s sure it has something to do with her escape. After all, she did seem quite apprehensive that night they talked.

“You guys ready?” Chichiri asks. Miaka steps forward with a nod, answering for all of them. Nodding gravely, Chichiri raises a palm vertically to his face. “Hold on, ya know,” he says. Closing his eyes, Chichiri focuses on the image of the palace. Then, suddenly, they disappear in a radiant flash of red. The only one who remains in the room is Hotohori. With a longing sigh, he turns and closes his eyes against the jealousy that rises within him.