Gensomaden Saiyuki Fan Fiction ❯ Crimson ties ❯ Secrets Revealed ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“What are you doing here? Or am I dreaming again? That's it. I'm still on the train dreaming. It's quite funny actually. I've been having dreams lately. Just like this one only darker and so much more demented.” Hakkai laughed, fidgeting with his coat.
“What the hell are you going on about? I can assure you this is no dream. One, because I'm completely awake and am in no way, shape or form, a dream spirit. Two, because I've been waiting for you to get here for at least an hour and a half if not longer.” The blonde replied, getting to his feet.
 
Hakkai noticed for the first time that the blonde had violet eyes. He knew for a fact that violet was not an actual eye color, but he couldn't help but stare into them. They seemed to glitter in the light.
 
“If you're not a dream, then how do you explain all this? How do I know I'm not dreaming?” Hakkai posed to him, crossing his arms over his chest.
 
The blonde smirked as he walked over to Hakkai.
 
“Let me see if I can't trigger that memory of yours.” He chuckled darkly, taking a hold of his chin.
 
He claimed Hakkai's lips, slowing working his tongue into Hakkai's mouth. Hakkai struggled violently against his hold, straining to push him away. The man narrowed his eyes and pulled away. Hakkai was gasping for breathy as the man lifted himself from Hakkai. The man moved to the window, cradling his left arm against his body.
 
“Care to explain what that fucking half blood was doing near you?” he growled, tensing up and looking like seven levels of hell.
“Half blood? What are you talking about?” Hakkai breathed, his mind whirling at light speed.
“I'm talking about that fucking Gojyo! I can taste that bastard on you!!! Care to explain that one?” he snarled, forcing Hakkai to his feet.
 
Hakkai gaped in astonishment at the blonde, still not quite grasping the fact that his guest was completely livid.
`How…? How did he know about Gojyo? I thought he was a figment of my imagination… That means… That whole episode on the train really did happen? Then if that was real than… This is real too. If this is real….' Hakkai's eyes shot open as he pushed the blonde away.
 
“You really did drink my blood that night! It's all real! My god…” Hakkai shouted, sinking down to the floor and resting against the wall.
“You finally figured that out. Except, I believe the term is Vampire.” Sanzo replied, grinning and revealing two sharp canines.
“Okay. You're obviously not here to drink my blood. You would've done that on our first meeting. Not only that, but you also mentioned something along the lines of `family business'… It would be nice to know, you understand.” Hakkai slowly said, keeping a sane and rational mask on.
“Well. Now that you realize that, get the hell up and come over here.” He demanded, hauling Hakkai to his feet.
 
Hakkai gasped as Sanzo pulled him up to his eye level. He then proceeded to push the vampire away and brush himself off.
 
“First things first. I need answers about what's going on. You obviously know more about it than I do. If you don't mind, I'll be going first. First dual question: Who are you and what are you?” Hakkai asked as he settled into a nearby chair.
“I am Genjyo Sanzo and I'm an elite vampire.” Sanzo replied, gracefully falling into a chair.
“So you're a vampire. That explains a few things..”
Elite vampire.” Sanzo stressed the word, glaring at Hakkai.
“…Is there a difference between you and a regular vampire?” Hakkai queried.
“Yes. Unlike most, an elite is allowed more liberties than your everyday vampire. I can walk around in the sunlight, simple crosses won't faze me, and I happen to like garlic beard a lot.” Sanzo explained, rolling his eyes at Hakkai's ignorance.
“Okay. So what is your weakness then?”
“ …None of your business…”
 
Hakkai nodded, expecting the answer. If he were in the other's shoes, he wouldn't give away his Achilles' Heel. It was very dangerous to give anyone that kind of advantage.
 
“Okay, moving on. Why exactly are you here? What I mean is, what exactly is your business with me?” Hakkai inquired, crossing a one leg over his knee.
“I'm here for you. Marie, your grandmother, left me as your… What's a good word to describe my position?” Sanzo murmured beneath his breath.
“Companion, perhaps?”
“No… More like a… bodyguard but only slightly. What it boils down to is that I'm more or less your partner.” Sanzo said, taking out a cigarette and lighting it.
 
Hakkai raised an eyebrow skeptically at his remark. He cleared his throat and got up from his seat. He sauntered into the kitchen and took the teakettle off the stove and filled it with hot water. He placed it on the stove and turned up the heat. He went back into the living room to find Sanzo looking at photos of his youth. His eyes softened when they fell on a picture of Marie.
 
“Mr. Sanzo? Is something wrong?” Hakkai asked as he settled himself into his previous seat.
“…Is this what she looked like near the end? So… old?” he asked, picking up the picture.
“Yes. People grow old and then they pass on… You're immortal, so you've probably never grown a day past your original age.” Hakkai mused aloud.
“I live forever and I see a lot of things. Marie was just one of the many people I helped along the way.” Sanzo snorted as he turned to Hakkai.
“Ah… So how does that make us partners?” Hakkai asked, looking up a t him.
 
Sanzo sighed as he sat back down. He looked Hakkai straight in the eyes, watching the other closely. He leaned back and closed his eyes.
 
“Throughout time, there have always been monsters. Some claim them to be demons from hell, some write them of as mere figments of one's fantasy. Either way, one thing is certain. These creatures exist. I am proof of this testament. However, not all of them are as forgiving as I am.” Sanzo explained.
 
Hakkai held back a guffaw at his last remark. Still, his explanation sounded like something out of a fairytale or novel. He really didn't think that the vampire was lying. It was just so hard to swallow.
 
“I see. So… What does this have to do with me?” he asked him, trying to keep his mind focused.
“…” The blonde didn't respond immediately, settling for staring off into space.
 
The kettle shrieked loudly in the small apartment, breaking the deafening silence. Hakkai got up and took the kettle off the stove. He diligently poured the hot water into two cups, each containing a tea bag. He took the cups out to the living room, handing one to Sanzo. Sanzo sniffed at it and drank it slowly.
 
“So… Are you going to answer my question? Or should I ask Gojyo-sama about it?” Hakkai smiled gently.
“Hmph. Fucking, perverted half breed doesn't know the first thing about you. But… I'm not sure how I describe it. Basically, you the guardian of the natural and the supernatural. The real and outer world if you must. You live in both worlds at the same time because you technically don't belong to either. You are a middleman whose sole purpose is to keep the two worlds at peace and from colliding. My job is to act as your protector. Bodyguard, partner, whatever. That is the bulk of my business with you.” Sanzo concluded, taking another sip of his tea.
“I see… And how do you know that I am this guardian? I mean it could be anyone. How exactly is it me?” he asked, watching Sanzo slowly.
“Marie probably taught you early on that every life had value and meaning and all that honey, sugary bullshit. She was always like that. However, the guardian can sense life, even when it's not there. They can tell there once was life but it isn't there anymore. You probably have yet to discover this skill of yours. It would explain why I didn't sense the new guardian so quickly until I got up close. That about answer all your questions?” Sanzo sighed languidly, sinking into the chair.
“I believe so… Wait. Gojyo talked about something. Something about how he thought I was marked. What exactly does that mean?” Hakkai asked honestly, his curiosity still not yet satiated.
 
Sanzo spluttered in his tea, coughing and gagging for breath. Hakkai looked at him, puzzled by his actions. Sanzo glared at him and shivered, shaking his head at Hakkai.
 
“There is no way in hell! We are just entry level partners and that's how we're going to stay until I prove of no use to you. Got me?” Sanzo snarled, putting the cup on a nearby coffee table harshly.
“I just asked what he meant by it. I never said anything else.” Hakkai protested, flustered by Sanzo's actions.
 
Sanzo just stared at Hakkai with a stupefied look on his face. He pinched the bridge of his nose and slowly massaged his temples.
 
“When he's talking about being marked, he's talking about…. Listen, even if I were to explain…. Let me make it simple… I. Do. Not. Swing. That. Way.” Sanzo emphasized each word.
 
It took a moment before it finally dawned on Hakkai. His face flushed a rather becoming shade of red. He set his cup in front of him and folded his hands neatly in his lap.
 
“Well… I must agree with you on that part. I had no idea that… that would create a mark on you. Must have to do with the bond between spirits or the consummation of two spirits or something like that.” Hakkai stuttered, trying to come up with a likely solution.
“Oh wait. That kind of mark. Shit… Scared me there for a minute. The one that appears on your left forearm. It will appear once the partnership has been sealed and you take on your task as the Guardian. Next time, clarify what the fuck you're talking about.” He barked, calming his anger by degrees.
“Well… that's nice to know. Since it seems like we'll be seeing more of each other, why don't you stay the night here? It isn't much but it's the least I can do.” Hakkai offered, gesturing to the bedroom area.
“Thanks but no. I will drop in, in the morning. Other than that, the less I see of you, the happier I'll be.” He explained to Hakkai before opening the window to the balcony.
“Really? We just met and already you don't like me?” he laughed, smiling at the blonde.
“Let's get one thing straight, right off the bat. I'm here until I'm released from your family's pact. Seeing as how there has yet to be someone in your family who would release me, I still work for you. So obviously, I don't like you. No. Scratch that thought. I can't stand you. And before you even think about going into `That's so horrible! How can anyone do such a mean and nasty thing?' tirade, I don't want your pity or sympathy. Now, if you'll excuse me.” He sniffed before hopping out the window into the cool night air.
 
Hakkai looked to see where he went but found no sign of him. Hakkai stared off, searching for him. Finally, he gave up and shrugged it off.
 
“What an odd… fellow. I guess he isn't exactly on par in his social life.” Hakkai tittered quietly to himself as he got ready for bed.
 
He contemplated dinner but quickly banished the thought, finding he was too dazed to really eat anything. After a quick shower, he curled up in his bed and turning out the lights. His last coherent thoughts before drifting into sleep were about his violet eyed visitor.
 
 
Hakkai woke up to the thumps and laughter of his upstairs neighbors. The children there were very found of playing games that involved endless jumping and screaming. Hakkai rolled over and stretched all the kinks out of his back before heading off to the bathroom.
 
As soon as he was dressed, he was out the door and down the stairs. He stepped outside and took in the fresh autumn morning. Hakkai strolled down the street, taking in the morning sun as he walked to work. On approaching the busy highway, he pressed the button to cross. He hummed softly to himself as he watched for the `Walk' sign. The `Walk' sign flashed on the console and Hakkai started walking across the street.
 
A cold wind seemed to blow right through him at that moment. Then he heard a shout and cries come from behind him. He tried to look but found himself frozen in his place.
 
`What's going on? What's happened to my body?' he thought quickly before the sound of squealing brakes assaulted his ears.