Gensomaden Saiyuki Fan Fiction ❯ Seiten and Maten, Two Worlds Collide! ❯ Whence It Begins ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Gensomaden Saiyuki


*Goku: ….ummmm Hakkai?
Hakkai: Yes?
Goku: Why is Tear chasing Gojyo with that Katana?
Hakkai: I think she’s trying to “fix” the problem she has with not owning us.
Gojyo: I DON’T WANNA BE FIXED!!!
Tear: Get back here!!! You’re getting fixed whether or not!!
Gojyo: WHANNNNN!!!!!*





The group had just arrived in the small rural town, under the soft light of the crescent moon that hung high in the navy sky and miles away from their last demon encounter, so they were eager to get to an inn.
“San-zooooooo!” Whined Goku the mischievous, and youngest, member of the Sanzo party.
“I’m hungry….can’t we stop and--” A quick blow from the monk’s fan stopped any protest for food that might have risen.
“We don’t have the funds to eat, you stupid Monkey! Be glad that we saved enough for an inn tonight.” He sighed and placed a hand over his stomach to silence the persistent growling that had begun to emanate from its depths. Moving quickly along the quiet streets, the small party made their way to the lighted doors of the nearest inn. Upon entering they found it would suit the need for clean beds and rest…as well as the minute amount of money they had left to pay. Silently, or as silently as they could with Goku’s stomach growling louder than before, they made their way to the single room on the second level.
“Alright,” Genjou Sanzo muttered as they filed in.
“Everyone needs to try and sleep, we leave at first light.”
“Yes your highness.” Gojyo, the cocky, and overly perverted mongrel said as he lay a hand to the sheet to the cot he had chosen.
“Better listen to what Sanzo says, Gojyo,” Hakkai chided as he stroked Hakuryu’s wings with a careful hand.
“ Or you’ll be so tired in the morning that you won’t be able to admire the girls here.” The kappa’s face lit up.
“There are women here!?”
“No, he just figured that if he told you that you’d shut up faster, stupid water sprite!” Goku laughed as his older threatened him through a yawn.
“Damn it…if I wasn’t so tired right now Monkey, you’d be dead.” He turned back and threw back the sheet.
“Uhh… Sanzo?” The uncertainty in his voice disturbed the monk, so he turned back onto his back from where he lay and glared.
“What?” He asked annoyed.
“This room didn’t come with women did it?”
“God Gojyo, how much of a dumb-ass are you? No the room did not come with WOMEN!” Gojyo steeped back away from the bed and to everyone’s surprise, asleep on the white sheets lay a young girl.
“She didn’t get the message then.” The girl’s messy, flame red, waist length hair lay sprawled out behind her as she slept peacefully, her breath coming in short whistles through slightly parted lips. Her hands were curled beneath her head and her knees drawn into a fetal position. She wore a light tan tank over a long sleeved green shirt and a skirt of a dark brown material and loose leggings around her calves that were a slightly lighter shade than the color of her skirt, both of which accentuated her pale thighs. She also wore, around her neck, a choker made of black cloth which held at the very center a gold band marked with the sign of Maten. It almost pained Gojyo to wake her up…
“HEY!” He yelled, shaking her shoulder violently.
“WAKE UP, LADY!” The girl awoke with a start and sat up in the cot with a slight yelp.
“What--!” She looked around the room her yellow-green, juxtaposed, eyes wide and fearful. She took one glance at the men around her and as she put her hand behind her head, grinned sheepishly.
“Oh dear….” She hopped to sit at the edge of the bed noting the looks of a demanded explanation plastered over her companion’s faces.
“I’ve done it again, haven’t I?” She stood and bowed.
“I’m sorry to have disturbed you all, but I have this horrible tendency to arrive late into towns, by the time I get there, most of the inns are closed, so I hop into an open window and find an empty room. I always mean to wake up and get out as soon as possible before the innkeeper rents the room…but I never make it. The last time I had to work over a month to repay my debt…OH!” She started.
“You’re not going to tell anyone are you!? Please don’t, I don’t want to get behind in my search again!” Goku popped his head above the other three’s and looked down.
“ Search huh? What’cha lookin’ for?” The girl turned her attention to the young warrior and then tilted her head sideways as she lay a hand to her cheek.
“I….I don’t know much about the details, but my employer told me to find four men who should have been making their way into this area…but I’m a month behind my schedule and they’ve probably already passed me by.” She groaned and shoved one of her hands into her pockets as she scratched the side of her head.
“Hey!” She said, pulling from her pouch a yellowed, crumpled piece of paper.
“Maybe you guys can help me out.” She handed the paper to Sanzo and he discovered a crudely drawn picture.
“If you recognize these guys tell me if you’ve seen them.” As Sanzo and Hakkai carefully studied the image Gojyo not viewing the intruder as a threat proceeded with his usual flirts while Goku pestered the girl for food.
“Sanzo…” Hakkai mumbled.
“I know.” At the top of the page there lay three scrawled words that were hardly legible, but seemed to read “Bald Sanzo’s Party” . Both men groaned, each remembering the annoyingly squeaky voice that all of them knew all too well screaming at her unwilling playmates.
“Baldy, Monkey, Water Sprite, CAFETERIA LADY!”
“Lirin.” Both muttered glancing back to their guest as she deftly dodged an attempt made by Gojyo to pin her to the wall.
“Then that means…”
“We need proof before we get hostile and start a fight Sanzo, remember, there are other people here besides us.”
“Yeah…” The Monk turned and folded his hands inside his sleeves.
“May I ask you one thing.” Sanzo said as the three stopped their chatter from the force of his glare.
“Certainly monk.” The girl said as she looked into his droopy violet eyes.
“What do you want with these men?” She immediately looked away, her face full of guilt and shame.
“A Sanzo monk like yourself would not like my answer.”
“Try me.” The girl shuffled her feet and cast her gaze at the ground.
“I…must kill them.”
“Why?”
“I can’t remember the details, it’s been so long since I was given the command, but I was to bring one of the men’s possessions back to my employer.”
“Then come try your luck.” All attentions turned to the monk as he pulled from a sleeve the small handgun he carried. The most notable change came form the girl herself.
“You mean you four are--”
“If you want the Maten scripture then take it if you can!” Goku who had moved to stand beside his friend now turned back to face the interloper.
“You don’t have to do this lady,” He said calmly as he summoned his Nyoi-Bo. The girl noted this as well as when Gojyo summoned his Shakujou staff.
“I’m sorry.” she said as she reached behind her neck to unite the choker.
“But I’m afraid it’s too late for one of my kind.” The change was almost instant. The mussed red locks became shaggy, the small oval shaped nails on both her hands became long and sharp, her eyes no longer round but elongated; and the black, crescent shaped birthmark over her left eye.
“So you’re a demon. Then that necklace was a limiter.” Hakkai looked at the transformation solemnly.
“It’s a shame, I had hoped you were merely at the wrong place, but it appears as though it was the wrong time as well.” The thought passed quickly and quietly as the girl once again addressed Sanzo.
“Priest, I am sorry, but if you force the matter I will kill you and take the thing that lies round your neck!” As proof of her conviction, the girl summoned her own weapon, a slightly curved Dai-Katana, the deadly six foot long blade requiring two hands to wield.
“I don’t know if that is what the She-Fox needs, but come Hell or High Water I’ll have it!” She was backed up next to a window, and slowly the party began to close around her.
“Do you honestly think to take all four of us on at one time, Geeze, you’re one crazy broad.” Gojyo remarked as he closed in from the right.
“I don’t think to do anything.” Suddenly, she banished her sword with a word, as she disappeared and then reappeared just inches away from Sanzo. She landed three consecutive blows from her knee, her fist and her foot to his stomach before he finally gave way to the pain and collapsed onto her shoulder. The girl turned to the stunned group, they hadn’t felt her move, much less seen her.
“I will however take the Monk.” She smiled as Sanzo’s companions finally made a start towards her. She noticed Goku as he jumped into the air, his staff at the ready, but she only smiled.
“Too late.” With a smirk at the corner of her mouth, the demon disappeared.
“SANZO!” Goku yelled, landing where the two had just stood. He slammed his fist into the floor and ground his teeth together.
“Come on Goku, we can still follow Sanzo’s chi, we’ll find him.” Hakkai hauled him to his feet and the group made their way quickly out the front door.
~ ~ ~
When Sanzo first regained consciousness, he was faintly aware of a low fire burning next to him. He cautiously opened one eye and looked around. No one was nearby and so slowly he sat up.
“ Damn…my gut feels like its on fire….” He whipped around when he heard a twig snap behind him and he glowered when he saw the demon that had kidnapped him step through the underbrush.
“ So you’re finally awake are you?” She said sitting a few feet away. Upon instinct, Sanzo reached for his gun but found only an empty pocket.
“Your gun’s not there.” She pulled the handgun from behind her back and tossed it lightly from hand to hand testing its weight.
“I didn’t take any chances.” She then tossed it to him and he caught it with a deft hand.
“Just who are you anyway?” Sanzo asked. The girl only shrugged and bit her bottom lip out of habit.
“I’m nobody, at least…I am right now.” She slowly continued.
“I know you wish to be avenged, but please hear me out.” Wrapping her arms around her knees and drawing them to her stomach, the girl looked deeply into the fire that separated them.
“I thought long after I brought you here about what I was about to do. Killing a Sanzo to bring a worthless piece of parchment back to the one person I despise most. I hope you’ll forgive me, but in a state of desperation, I could only think about the one person I have to protect, and that was what drove me to seek you out in the first place. However, even with that at stake, my hate of that Damnable woman keeps me from taking the Scripture back to her.”
Slowly the girl stood and sighed, her demeanor was that of defeat and she carried herself accordingly. Then with a resigned curse, she lifted her eyes and cast them at the bloodied sky. Sanzo took his lighter from another of his pockets and lit up a cigarette as he waited for her to speak.
“I know it seems a strange request for an assassin to make, under the circumstances, but please forgive me for earlier, I make no excuse, and to atone, please wait until I have completed my business, I shall return for your judgment if I am successful.” Once more the demon left, disappearing in mere seconds, as the monk watched the gray smoke disperse into the night, headlights shone on him from the approaching jeep.
“Sanzo!” His companions cried as they neared. Goku at once jumped out and ran to the camp.
“Sanzo, are you okay? Where did that bitch go? And…. why do you still have the Maten scripture? Wasn‘t that what she was after?” The other two approached much slower than Goku, wary of any enemies that might show their face.
“Did she leave for other business?” Hakkai asked watching Sanzo scrape the Monkey off his side.
“Yeah…seems she had something to take care of.” He glanced sideways at the demon slayer.
“She reminded me of you…” The monk puffed a long thin line of smoke into the crisp morning air and scratched the inside of his ear muttering to himself.
“And that really pisses me off.”



A/N: There’s a reason that the sign on the demon’s limiter is the same as what Sanzo’s scripture is called, the word “Maten” literally means “youkai heaven” or “infernal land” in other words where Houtou Castle lies. This is also where…you thought to find out something without reading the next chapter didn’t you? HA! Not on your life! ^_^
~ ~ ~