Gensomaden Saiyuki Fan Fiction ❯ Seiten and Maten, Two Worlds Collide! ❯ Koshu's Madness ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Mei walked briskly into town and studied the surrounding area.
“Hmmm….I wonder where they took Sanzo…” Suddenly three rounds of gunfire shot past her nose and into the building that she stood beside.
“Oh.” With a few quick steps she found herself standing inside a large building and watching Sanzo trying to pry Goku off his side.
“Get off me Monkey!” He growled as Goku clung to him trying to force the monk back into the room that he had stayed in for the past hour.
“But Sanzo you’re wounds aren’t healed yet and the doctor said--”
“Screw that old fart! I’m not staying here another minute!” He grabbed the door frame and hauled himself through.
“Ne Sanzo,” Mei drawled as she watched Goku pry every last one of the monk’s fingers from the door.
“Don’t we need to get going?” Her only answer was a muffled curse and a growl as the two wrestled back and forth. Finally she grabbed the monk’s arm and hauled him out the door with Goku still hanging from his side, absently grabbing the back of Gojyo’s vest as she went, tearing him away from the nurse who he had been flirting with; earning her very vocal protests
“Wait!” A doctor cried spotting them.
“That man is still in need of medical assistance.” Mei and Sanzo snorted at his stupidity.
“He’s not gonna die, so you can just get over it!”
“I’m not gonna die, so you can just get over it!” The chorused objection to any longer stay caused the doctor to be taken aback for a moment, but by the time he could retort, they were gone.
~ ~ ~
Within the next few days, time given enough for Sanzo to move properly, and the group was well on their way West and the silence was almost unbearable. Goku shifted his weight back and forth on his seat trying to at least spark some conversation but all it seemed to do was agitate Sanzo and Gojyo. Sano at last escaped the pest by catching up on the sleep he’d missed. Gojyo unfortunately was denied that bliss.
“Will you stop your fidgeting you stupid Monkey?” The hanyou grumbled as he put out his last cigarette.
“I can’t help it.” Goku whined.
“It’s too damn quiet and I’m bored!” He glanced to the other three and Hakkai and Mei seemed to have the same blank expression of thought, while Sanzo was passed out completely.
“Hey Gojyo,” Goku said moving to sit beside the redhead.
“What do you think has got them all quiet now?”
“I dunno, maybe all your yammering has taken all the fun out of talking?” He glared at Gojyo before he turned back.
“I don’t think that’s it…MEI!” With a jerk, Mei turned towards Goku with a half-lidded stare.
“Yes?”
“You okay? You don’t look so hot.” She smiled faintly and nodded.
“Yes I’m all right.” With that said she went back to staring at the road behind them. Gojyo noted she’d been doing that a lot lately and he began to think it may have something to do with the Demon who had attacked them a few days before.
“Ne Monkey…” He started as he grabbed Goku’s arm as he started to move back to his seat.
“Is it just me, or is our little fire-cracker here starting to act more like Hakkai?” Goku sat back down and stared long and hard at the calm expression that Mei almost never had.
“Maybe…but then isn’t there a saying that pets often resemble their masters because of the time they spend together? Maybe that’s what happened!” With a low grumble, Gojyo shoved Goku back into his seat.
“Saru, I don’t think you have your head on right if you believe half the dribble you spout!” Goku, not wanting to wake Sanzo with a fight, merely stuck out his tongue and turned to watch the scenery go by.
“But it’s strange…” Gojyo thought glancing back and forth between Hakkai and Mei.
“I’ve never seen Mei this quiet before…not even Hakkai could stay silent for over an hour…” With the landscape whizzing by, and the warm sun beating down on his shoulders, the task of observing the two, silent and still as they were, only served to put Gojyo into a deep and restful sleep. When he woke, the sun was just hitting the top of the western hills and Hakkai had stopped to make camp for the night. He stepped around those who were already next to the fire that had been built and took a place that faced the jeep.
Gojyo glanced around the camp and to each of his companions, Hakkai was still unusually quiet and Goku was annoying as always, pestering the green-eyed demon for food that was only half done, and the Monk…pissy as always, but Mei, she was pacing next to the fire, turning on the same spot with the same foot. She was painfully nervous, but Gojyo couldn’t understand why. There was a slight tinge in the bottom of his stomach that made it tighten, but that had been going on for a few days, nothing serious…right?
“Mei, come on, food’s ready.” With a jerk Mei turned to Sanzo as he flicked his head towards the fire. She shook her head violently and the Monk could see her eyes were sunken and hollow.
“I-I’m not hungry I’m afraid. You can give Goku my share.”
“You know that’s not going to do any of us any good.” He grumbled and she hung her head.
“I know…but I can’t eat right now.” She hugged her shoulders and pumped her arms up and down as if trying to warm herself. Sanzo sighed and turned back to the fire.
“If you’re not going to eat at least sit down, that damn pacing is making me nervous.” A stammered apology and Mei was seated next to Goku staring into the fire, its light making her features look even more haunted. She twisted and fidgeted, looking behind her and off into the woods until she looked as though she might explode.
“Mei?” Hakkai’s voice sounded weak and tired over the roar of the blaze, but she looked frightfully in his direction as if he had yelled.
“What?” Her tact was gone leaving her voice ragged and confrontational. He smiled and rose feeling her anxiety heighten.
“Would you like to go for a walk? Not too far, but I would like some privacy.” She nodded quickly and together both demons made their way into the moonlit woods behind the camp.
“Alright Monk.” Gojyo started leaning forward.
“What’s up with Mei, she’s been high strung ever since we met but never like this.” Goku paused, his chopsticks halfway to his mouth, confused but ready to listen. Sanzo lit up a cigarette and crunched the empty packet before shoving it into one of his sleeves.
“The last time you two had to take a piss, Hakkai explained the situation. As it stands the reason for Mei’s uneasiness stands fully on the encounter we had the other day.”
~ ~ ~
Mei stopped a few yards away from where Hakkai had halted, not wanting to turn and face the question that had been running through his mind all day. With a resigned sigh she spoke.
“To answer your question: Yes.” Hakkai groaned as Mei faced him with a look of solemn defeat.
“I have a feeling that he will attack tonight.”
“And that’s why you’ve been absent minded all day?” She nodded.
“I can’t let Sanzo or anyone else deal with this. He was mine to defend in the first place and he’ll be mine to fight.” A flash of anger ignited in a streak of gold behind the forest gaze that Mei positioned to the crescent moon.
“Please, Hakkai. Just keep the others from interfering…I don’t want to see them hurt.” With a slight smile Hakkai moved forward a few paces.
“I’m afraid you underestimate us against one demon.” Mei turned her uplifted head with a loll and gazed eerily from beneath heavy lids.
“I won‘t die without a fight and I won‘t allow you or Sanzo, Gojyo or Goku to join my fate, but if I kill him, I won’t have a life to owe you anymore.” Hakkai let out a small, weak chuckle.
“What?” She asked turning her head fully to look at him.
“Nothing, it’s just…you sounded like someone I know…and it pains me to hear those words coming from someone else.” Mei cocked her head to one side and thought a moment.
“What…did I just sound like Sanzo?” She looked over and saw the trademark smile gone, and a face she didn’t recognize staring at her from beneath russet bangs.
“Hakkai?”
~ ~ ~
“So you’re telling me, that Mei and what’s-his-name were all head over heels for each other until some chick that Mei knows talked to him? And now he’s gone psycho and wants the Scripture just like every Tom, Dick and Ugly we’ve faced so far? Okay, so far I’ve heard nothing new.” Sanzo growled and flicked the ashes off the end of his cigarette and continued.
“That’s what I was getting to. Apparently since their Limiters are polar opposites Mei and Rurik can trace each others presence. You noticed her shivering tonight? That’s because he’s here. Whenever that bastard’s around, Mei said it was like she was freezing from the inside out. For people like us, the little twinge you have in your gut? That’s all the demonic aura you’re gonna get from him.”
“So that’s why we didn’t sense anything when he attacked us the last time! He must be strong to keep his aura in check.” Goku piped up as he downed the last of his food. Sanzo glanced back to where Hakkai and Mei had disappeared.
“That’s why she’s on edge. I suggest you sleep with one eye open tonight gentlemen. If you want to keep your heads.”
~ ~ ~
Mei didn’t remember how she got into the position she was in much less how a simple comment could have had the always smiling Hakkai griping her shoulders and staining her shirt with unbidden and unwanted tears. She stood silent and confused as she listened to the soft sobs of ’Kanan’ that wracked the body that was pressed so close to hers. She looked down the arched back that was bent so subjugated and broken, and finally understood.
“Gods….” She whispered wrapping her arms around shaking shoulders.
She started to close her eyes and revel in the comforting sense that the tainted past she held was shared by another, but she felt the air grow cold and she could see her breath on the hot evening air.
“Shit.” She said righting Hakkai. At the curse, he seemed to regain some of his senses, he blinked confusedly and then, brushing away the tears that lingered at his eyes he regained his old smile.
“I’m sorry about that. I take it he’s…”
“Well, well Mei! And here I thought you were only a traitor to the Resistance, and yet here I find you betraying me as well.” Both Hakkai and Mei turned to the new voice that approached from behind.
“Nothing that you didn’t cause yourself Rurik!” With a crack of her knuckles and a silent ’go’ to Hakkai, Mei positioned herself between her Lover and the camp.
“What are you here for?”
“Oh didn’t our little Lirin tell you? Only a few days ago our Lady Gyokumen Koshu attained the last of the Founding Scriptures…the only one we need now is Genjou Sanzo’s Maten Scripture.” Mei uttered an oath and reached behind her to untie the Limiter. Once it was off, safely given to Hakkai and both on their way back to camp to warn the others, she steadied her feet to withstand the battle to come.
“Rurik…” She pled.
“Why did it have to end like this? What did she do to you!?” As he stepped out into the light of the moon Rurik smirked, baring white fangs that poked out the corner of his mouth.
“Our Lady did nothing, save for make me stronger than I was. And I too am sorry to see it end like this. Mei you were such a pitiful prey, I’ve had no time to enjoy the hunt before you let me catch up to you.” The condescending tone that dripped from his voice put the hairs on the back of Mei’s neck on end, and she growled.
“Rurik! Stop patronizing me! I stopped for a reason, to face you!!”
“Oh really and do you think to stop me from retrieving the Scripture?” Mei smirked matching grin for grin with Rurik as she noticed him moving to his right.
“So that’s your plan…” She shuffled over in front of him and he stopped.
“Well, so you’re not completely stupid I see.” With a flick of her wrist, Mei held her katana and held it in front of her putting a barrier between them.
“You should remember, I was always the one to beat you when we sparred.” A growl was all Mei needed to hear, Rurik may have been stronger than he was before but he‘d always hated losing. She smiled, the annoying simple way that she’d picked up from Hakkai and it was that that sent Rurik over the edge.
“Your blood shall stain my claws, TRATIOR!” A cry tore from both their throats as the two demons clashed in a flash of blades and blood. Rurik’s claws dug into Mei’s arm as she parried them away from her heart. Jerking to the side she swung the katana in a wide arch, nearly catching her opponent in its wake, but just before it collided with his neck Rurik spun away and skidded along the ground, his figure compact. Mei swung her sword onto her back and waited for him to make his next move.
“Well?” She panted.
“Are you willing to finish what you start?” A twitch of a pale blue eye and Mei saw her opening. She moved with lightning speed and dragging her sword point along the ground Mei headed for her target who had just realized her intent. Rurik hopped to his feet and crossed his fists in front of his body, the metal backing shielding his exposed flesh from the biting end of the katana.
“If you’re not, I will Rurik.” The demon stared hard at the woman in front of him. He couldn’t place it but he had seen her someplace before, not just on the wanted posters that his Lady Koshu had given him to study, but there was a deeper connection between both of them. There was a difference between knowing her name and what she looked like, and what he felt then, before now all he could think about was finding and obtaining some piece of paper, but for a moment Rurik hesitated.
“Mei!” She turned for a brief second to watch her companions race into the clearing. She shook her head for them not to approach and set her gaze back to Rurik’s uncertain face. She’d seen the second that his eyes went glassy and his pupils nearly disappeared, and she knew that he was weakening. With a cry, Rurik suddenly tore himself away to make a stand. He was crazed, his eyes wide and darting, and his muscles seemed to spasm every so often, as he stood there unsure of what to do, his gaze fell upon the lighted Maten Scripture. Mei followed his gaze and then heard his cackle as he advanced.
“NO!” She cried racing to intercept his lead. Sanzo waited.
~ ~ ~
Mei sat with Rurik’s head in her lap, breathing easy since he’d been knocked unconscious. When the assassin had noticed the Scripture, Goku had already maneuvered behind him, one quick strike from the Nyoi-bo and Rurik was out like a light. Sanzo, Gojyo, Goku and Hakkai had separated from the two for a brief moment to discuss what was to be done when Hakkai remembered something that Rurik had mentioned.
“Mei…” He started as he walked towards the two who sat in the dew soaked ground.
“When he said ’Gyokumen Koshu’ who did Rurik mean?” Mei stared long at the four faces that had gathered around her. Sighing she stood and lay her lover’s head on the ground as gently as she could. She rose with a cold look to her eye and turned slowly.
“How soon can we be headed west?”
~ ~ ~
With the road lurching beneath them and Rurik left far behind in their dust. Mei began with the explanation that had all her companions on the edge of their seats.
“All right. What you are planning is not a simple mission. Sure those idiots up in Paradise made it sound simple but with four Scriptures in her possession…this won’t be a walk in the park. She’s--”
“Hold it!” Gojyo yelled as the jeep bounced up and down along the rocky road.
“Is this ‘she’ the same one that your crackpot boyfriend back there was raving about?!” She nodded and continued.
“Yes. The one behind Gyumaoh’s revival is Lady Gyokumen Koshu.” She gave a lurch as Hakuryu hit another pothole in the road and Goku nearly flew out of the back seat.
“From as far as I can tell with what Dokugakuji and Kougaiji told me, Koshu is somewhat of a lover scorned. She’s trying to revive Gyumaoh to become the formal “Mrs. Gyumaoh” Kougaiji is forced into helping her because of some personal stake of his, something like my own I think….but that’s about it for possible allies. Kougaiji may be willing to cooperate with us if this revival doesn’t go the way he hopes…which is exactly what Koshu plans I’ll wager. She’s too self-centered to do anything for the young Lord. We should reach the damn castle in a few days, maybe in time to stop the ritual. I hope…” Mei closed her mouth just as they hit a huge bump so as not to bite her tongue and the jeep came close to turning over.
“Damn it Hakkai! Slow your ass down will you?!” Sanzo held onto his side and the door for dear life.
“Don’t you dare!” She screamed above the roar of the engine and the scrape of the dirt beneath the tires.
“We can’t afford to stop, not with her this close!” Hakuryu cheeped his agreement and Mei returned to facing her companions.
“With what Rurik told me…Sanzo, if four of those damn Scriptures were combined and Youkai magic were implemented, could it not suffice to at least revive the remains of Gyumaoh?”
“What….make Gyumaoh into an undead puppet?”
“At least until the Maten Scripture was recovered?”
“I suppose, but it would….Shit.”
“You aren’t telling me…” Hakkai glanced over to the Monk and he nodded. Hakkai cursed under his breath and only forced the gas pedal harder to the floor. Goku sat forward, hanging onto Sanzo’s seat to gaze in confusion at the dark expression that had formed on his brow.
“What are you three talking about!?” He demanded.
“Monkey! How stupid can you be?!” Gojyo yelped and hung onto the side as he continued.
“If what we’re talking about here is possible then don’t you think that Kougaiji and that Koshu chick have thought of it too? Especially after all the hell we’ve given them.” Goku looked back still confused.
“What Gojyo means Goku, is that while Sanzo is still alive, Kougaiji and Koshu can’t get near him long enough to take the Scripture, but if they were to release Gyumaoh, even an undead Gyumaoh, upon the world, no one…not even Sanzo would be able to stop him.”
~ ~ ~
Kougaiji hesitantly stepped into the young girl’s room. Lirin would be sleeping around here somewhere and he really didn’t want to wake her, but then Gyokumen Koshu had asked for her specifically and Kougaiji was too excited to disobey. Any day the revival of that bastard Gyumaoh would be complete. His heart had jumped when the creepy underling that Koshu always kept by her side, Ni Jenyi told him that despite their original calculations, the Maten Scripture would not be needed to revive Gyumaoh, with his father back in the land of the living, Kougaiji’s mother would be returned to him. The one thing that he had fought for so long would be his.
“Lirin?” He called softly. Kougaiji paused; this was the first time that he hadn’t been wrapped up in his own thoughts to think about why he was there. Why did Gyokumen Koshu need Lirin? Couldn’t she just get the ritual over with? Why did she have to have Lirin at the Ceremony? Did she plan to--?
“Onii-chan!” Kougaiji’s thoughts were interrupted by Lirin’s screams. From behind him just as she had planned, Lirin leapt upon her older half-brother and wrapped her arms around his neck while her legs curled around his waist in a makeshift piggy back ride.
“Gee!” She smiled as Kougaiji glanced back at her. He didn’t notice his gaze had turned from one of intense search, to that of his unofficial brotherly title until he saw Lirin glaring at him.
“Kougaiji….what’s wrong…you’ve got that weird look on your face again…like you’re about to start into one of Yaone’s speeches….it creeps me out the way you two are always saying stuff like ’you need to be careful’ and ’this isn’t a game Lirin’ or the most recent one--”
“Lirin?” Kougaiji said in an unusual sing-song voice.
“Yeah, what?”
“The only reason why we say that is because--” Lirin gulped as she saw a dangerous glint form in the amethyst iris of her brother. This could only mean one thing. Lirin tried to scramble off of Kougaiji’s shoulders but it was too late, he grabbed her around the waist and flung her onto a nearby couch, then dug his fingers into her ribs where he knew she was most ticklish. Above her cries of mercy he continued his lecture.
“We tell you all that because we meant it! We want you to stay safe! And if you can’t even get out of my hands how do you expect to ever beat Sanzo!?” He stopped and Lirin sat up glaring at him.
“That was a low blow Kougaiji…” She smacked his shoulder as they walked out of the room.
“Now we’re even.” They disappeared around the corner when a loud yelp echoed down the hall.
“No, I’m still one up on you.”
“Kougaiji!!” A figure loomed out of the darkness and stepped into the light in the form of Doctor Ni. He chuckled quietly.
“Poor things…too bad they don’t know what’s going on.” He scratched the top of his stuffed rabbit’s head and smiled to himself. Yes, it really was too bad that the two were going to be separated so soon after that touching moment.
~ ~ ~
Noon the next day found the Sanzo Party standing outside a large black building, its ominous figure towering over the surrounding landscape.
“Is this it?” Goku murmured.
“Yes…this is the Houtou Castle that you searched for.” Mei sighed and moved her Katana from her back to her side knowing full well the battle that lay ahead of them. A lightning flash lit up the sky to the south and rain began to shower the land, she turned to the others with a questioning glance and gained four nods.
“Alright,” Mei moved to stand beside Sanzo who faced the west end of the castle. She pointed to a small corner that was only recognizable form the rest of the stone by the crack that ran down its facing.
“Behind that cornerstone, there is a passageway that leads to Lirin’s room, I’ll head in that way and signal if it’s safe. Make your way down there and wait for me.” With that she turned and ran down the steep slope that curved down and toward the stone fortress.
“Damn it.” Sanzo thought as Mei disappeared into the haze.
“Of all days it had to rain.”
“Sanzo,” He turned to the quiet gaze of the other three. Gojyo moved forward and clapped a hand onto the Monk’s shoulder.
“Come on man, if we’re not down there when Mei gets back she’ll probably bitch at us.” His smirk was met with a gruff and muttered curse as Sanzo shook loose of his grip.
“Let’s move.” He ordered sliding down the muddy bank, Hakkai and Gojyo exchanged a worried glance as they watched their friend press forward.
When they reached the bottom of the incline, the group noticed that the land had become soggy and marsh-like. They had to pick up their feet to keep from being bogged down in the muck as they quickly followed the rapidly disappearing footprints that Mei had left them to trail to the entrance. Finally the small party reached a small outcrop of stone that was jutting out of the mud that they could catch their breath on. Sanzo looked ahead and found that they were almost to the cavity where they could gain access to the depths of Houtou Castle.
“Bout time…” He grumbled leaning against the cool, wet stone.
“Yes,” A raspy, giddy voice chuckled from behind them. The group turned to face the newcomer and found a lean-faced man who wore dark rimmed glasses no more than Sanzo’s age standing out in the rain and muck wearing a white lab coat that clung to his thin frame.
“Who the hell are you?” Sanzo growled moving his arm to his sleeve prepared to draw his weapon. The man didn’t answer, he merely pulled a white stuffed rabbit from the folds of his coat and talked to it.
“Poor bunny, you’re getting wet out here, how mean of these gentlemen to keep you out in this weather.” He adjusted his glasses and smirked.
“Sanzo Party, it’s about time you all got here, we wouldn’t have dreamed of starting the ritual without you. Now if you would proceed to your seats and enjoy the show.” He smiled as he watched the party start. He moved his foot in the sludge to hit a switch.
“Shit!” Gojyo felt the slab under him start to shudder and before he, or anyone else could move, it had split under them and they all plummeted into darkness.
~ ~ ~
Mei clung to the wall feeling the rain from outside leak down the walls and run across her hand that felt along the stone for…She smiled as her fingers ran over a sharp edge of a rock that jutted out of the wall, she tugged it down and moved aside as the wall parted to reveal the dimly lighted room that Lirin slept in. She poked her head inside and scanned the room over. Finding nothing she stepped inside, she made her way over to a small desk that she had often used to hide any souvenir that she had brought back, and slid behind it keeping her cover. Mei considered returning for the others but her stomach was in a frenzy tingling her lower half and telling her that she should continue on her own. At last, after a brief struggle with herself, Mei decided to go with her gut. She silently made her way over to the steel door that lead out into a hall way and put her ear to the door.
“You can’t be serious!” A woman’s voice cried.
“If you do that to Lady Lirin, without the proper data then..” Judging from the primness in the voice Mei concluded that it would have been Dr. Wang. The eccentric woman was always worried about textbook procedures and data that was flawless, but what worried Mei, was just what were they planning on doing to Lirin?
“Relax Dr. Our job is to revive Gyumaoh, right? Well, what is a few lives here and there?” Mei started, as the masculine voice squeaked and broke in its usual quiet tone, Doctor Ni was rationalizing murder!
“Ni Jenyi!” Cried a new voice, Mei could tell by the heavy footfalls and the grating anger in his voice Kougaiji was angry. She remained silent behind the door and listened intently as he approached the two doctors.
~ ~ ~
The angry glint in Kougaiji’s eyes was enough to send Dr. Wang cowering behind her hated counterpart. Ni only smiled, content to rile the young prince further.
“What is Gyokumen Koshu planning to do with Lirin!” Kougaiji demanded.
“I went to deliver her just as I was ordered, then she locked the door and I haven’t been able to get in. Just what the Hell is going on!?” He stepped forward to grab a handful of Ni’s coat but recoiled from the cold wet fabric.
“Where have you been?” He questioned venomously. A chuckle rose in the doctor’s throat as he petted his stuffed rabbit’s head and crooned in the voice it spoke in.
“Oh, only out collecting guests…” Kougaiji’s eyes narrowed.
“I can only guess what you mean by that, now tell me what does my Mother…plan to do to Lirin!?” In a flash of white the doctor had stepped forward and rammed small syringe into Kougaiji’s stomach. The young Lord coughed a small line of blood onto the white lab coat as he went down on the smaller man’s shoulder.
“What did you…..do to….ME, JENYI!!” Sharp teeth clamped down onto his shoulder but Ni didn’t move.
“Oh my…perhaps I put to much sedative in that one…oh well.” He shrugged as Gyumaoh’s son dug his knife-like claws into the same shoulder he bit. Kougaiji fought the drug as well as he could, but slowly his vision was becoming blurred and he began to feel drowsy.
“Now my little prince,” Ni droned quietly as he placed his face next to Kougaiji’s pointed ear, ignoring the torrents of blood that ran down his shoulder and back.
“The Lady doesn’t really need you to complete the ritual, but how can I separate you and your darling little sister after that horribly disgusting display of the affection you have for each other?” Kougaiji’s mind flashed with a vague sense that he’d held only a few times in his lifetime, the sense of fear. Darkness swiftly overtook his senses and he collapsed on the bloody coat that kept him standing.
“NI! What did you do! Kougaiji is the main component for our research!” Dr. Wang stepped forward quickly to relive her study partner of the burden he held, but Ni slowly turned with a small pistol in hand. She stopped in her tracks, widened eyes staring fearfully at the lighted weapon.
“Our job is to research how and when we can revive Gyumaoh right?” Wang nodded.
“And after we do that we’re no longer needed correct?” Nod.
“Then my dear Doctor Wang, kindly die for me.”
~ ~ ~
Mei heard a single shot ring out from the other side of the door and she threw her weight against it fearful of what had happened.
“Kougaiji-sama!” She screamed, again throwing her body against the frame.
“KOUGAIJI-SAMA!” A light knock sounded in one of the brief spans of time that Mei was pulling back to ram the door again and Ni’s voice called, muffled, from behind the door.
“Oh! Mei-chan! So that’s where you are I was surprised not to find you with the Sanzo party, but now that I know you’re there, everything can proceed. Kougaiji-sama can’t talk right now he’s a little tired, and he’ll have a big role to play in the upcoming resurrection. So if you will, stay in there and don’t try anything that would disrupt it. Bye…” The lock on the door clicked and Mei heard crazed laughter disappear down the hall and she knew she was alone.
“JENYI!!” She cried launching herself at the steel door once more.
“YOU BASTARD!” She made the start of colliding with the door again, but the room began to shake, she jerked her head around to find the passage that she’d come through beginning to collapse. With a curse, she raced into the crumbling tunnel and prayed that she would make it safely outside.