Ghost In The Shell Fan Fiction ❯ A Major Surprise ❯ A Major Surprise ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

A Major Surprise
by Sunsinger
 
Note: I've named Batou's dog. Since it's a Basset hound, I thought Count Basie... both for the jazz great (who I think made music Batou'd like) and for the BASset hound.
"~~" means they are talking through thier jacks.
 
 
Batou moaned as he turned over and pulled the warm body that shared his bed close. Thick fingers wrapped themselves around a trim waist. His lips were buried in the warm bronze hair of his lover. A low grade buzzing entered his brain. Frowning, he reached back and accessed the message. The Major's face sprung up in his mind's eye.
~~Major.~~
~~Batou, where are you?~~
~~Asleep, or trying to, isn't it ou… my day off?~~
~~Yes, but it's canceled. Get into Section 9.~~
~~Count Basie isn't going to like this, he was planning on a nice run today.
~~Too bad. Wake up Togusa, drop the dog off with his kids, and be here in less than an hour.~~
Batou sighed as he felt the Major break contact and stretched. Started a countdown from 50 minutes in his head, he kissed Togusa's cheek and got up. Frowning, he headed into the kitchen. Maybe they had to go in today but Togusa would get a good breakfast first. Humming an old jazz tune, he started cooking. Eggs, French toast, and sausage would be all they'd have time to eat. Cracking five eggs into a bowl, he started stirring as the electric griddle heated up. Leaving the frothy whipped eggs to still, he dropped the bread into the toaster and opened the sausage. Five links on one side of the griddle, the eggs on the other. He scrambled them as the door opened behind him. Pale arms wrapped around his waist.
“Thanks.”
“Not a problem. The Major wants us in today, you have 42 minutes 34 seconds. And,” the toaster spit up the toasted bread as Batou reached for a plate. “Your breakfast is ready. Eat, join me in the shower, you can brush your teeth in there, no arguing. I'll get our clothes for today, k?”
“Hmmm.” Togusa rubbed his scratchy morning beard across the dip of Batou's back. “K. I'll let you spoil me today, but only because today is special. And I'll even let you scrub my back for me.”
Batou laughed and used his hip to push Togusa closer to the table. “Sit, eat.”
 
* * *
 
Section 9 Headquarters
~~Tachikoma, is everything ready?~~
~~Yes, Major. The others have finished setting up the room. Ishikawa and Aramaki just got here. The city traffic computer says that Batou and Togusa have just left their apartment.~~
~~Good!~~
Major Kusanagi smiled and inspected the room. She had been waiting for this day for way too long.
 
* * *
 
Batou held open the door as Togusa walked through it. Section was quiet, way too quiet.
~~Batou... did the Major tell you what was up?~~
~~Not a clue, which scares the hell out of me!~~
~~Damn!~~
Togusa jumped as the Major stepped out in front of them.
“Come on, we've been waiting for you.” She opened the door to the main room, and stepped into the dark. They could just barely hear her cross the floor, the chair squeak as she sat down. The two agents looked at each other and stepped forward. As they passed the middle of the room, a spotlight came up. They heard a couple of chuckles around them.
“Batou, despite the fact that we are not a package drop, somehow this came for you... here. Do you want to open it?” The Major's voice floated to them.
Batou reached for the package and turned it over. Laughing, he opened it gently and turned to the major. “Hey, when I said you could be there, I didn't mean for you to plan it!”
Togusa stared at the cyborg, one eyebrow floating near his hair line. “She could be where?”
Batou turned to Togusa and took his hand, ignoring Togusa's look of `didn't we agree to keep this out of the office'. “I think I know how this got redirected but it doesn't matter. Though Ishikawa had really endangered his invitation. Ahhh, well,” Batou pulled out something out of the box and faced Togusa. “What I want to ask is will you marry me?”
Togusa stared at him and opened Batou's hand. In it sat, a plain platinum with a small blue diamond inset in it. “Does this mean, I get the dog?”
Batou lips jerked, trying not to smile. “Yeah, if I can get the kids.”
“Deal.” ~~Now what shall we do about the Major.~~
~~I'm thinking of putting her in a bright tangerine dress for the wedding.~~
Togusa burst out laughing and cut his eyes to the Major. “Very sneaky. So when's the bachelor party?”
Behind them a tachikoma was dancing, one hand holding a calendar. ~~Major, Major, does this happen every February 14th?~~
 
 
The End