Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex Fan Fiction ❯ Family Pet ❯ Aramaki ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Aramaki found the door to his office unlocked. This wasn’t unusual; the ghost-less janitors tended to leave things open all the time. The light on the answering machine was blinking, which also wasn’t unusual. Some government big shot needed Section Nine to do his dirty work again. Something else, however, was unusual. Aramaki was old-fashioned: he liked to have his information tangible, on paper. So he always kept printing paper on the desk in his office. Approximately six stacks of said paper was shredded and left in clumps all over his office.
“What the…” The culprit licked its paws contentedly on his desk, quite satisfied with the re-decorating it had done. The mess faded into the background as only one thing stood out in Aramaki’s mind. There was a cat on his desk.
There was a Cat on his desk.
Why the hell was there a CAT on his desk? …Batou, it had to be Batou…but why the hell would Batou plant the cat in his office?
“Chief?” Instantly the whole thing became clear. Damn him. He’d have his ass handed to him for this. Without knowing why, Aramaki scooped up the kitten and dumped it on his chair, out of sight.
“Come in Major.”
“Chief I…”a perfectly manufactured eyebrow arched upward as Motoko Kusanagi took in the disaster that was her usually organized boss’ office.
“I’m having some difficulty with the paper shredder. You were saying?”
“I didn’t find anything in the hangar but there are several scratch marks in various places. I’m beginning to believe we have a rodent infestation problem. I suspected the Tachikomas but thorough examination showed they weren’t hiding anything. If there is no pressing matter I’d like to keep looking.” Aramaki shuffled random papers to hide the scuffing beneath his desk.
“You think we have rats?”
“Yes sir.”
Aramaki leaned against his desk. “Go ahead.” Once Major left Aramaki sent out a mental message. ‘BATOU! Get the HELL in here now!
As if expecting the summons, Batou was in the room in less than ten seconds, dragging a rather reluctant Togusa behind. “Yes Chief?”
“What exactly is the meaning of this?” Aramaki held up the tiger striped cat who now had one end of a chewed-through phone cord dangling from its mouth.
“I think it’s hungry sir.” The old man glared.
“You know exactly what I mean. Why is it here?”
“It wouldn’t stay on my desk, Togusa’s allergic and we decided the fridge wasn’t the best idea.” Desperately trying to keep his temper, Aramaki spoke through clenched teeth.
“And exactly whose is it?”
“As far as we can tell, Tachikoma Unit one. And then it passed it off to Togusa so I suppose we could say it’s Togusa’s.”
“Mine!?” Togusa had planned to yell, but it came out as more of a choke.
“Here Togusa.” The detective cringed as the chief handed him the kitten. “Keep it out of my office!”
“It was achoo Saito’s idea!”
“So half of Section Nine is in this little plot? Wonderful. Get it out of my office.” He watched with a half-smile as the cat scrambled up onto it’s perch on Togusa’s head. “By the way, what’s its name?” Batou grinned.
“Motoko.”