Gintama Fan Fiction ❯ salarymen go to heaven ❯ part 11 ( Chapter 11 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

I don't own Gintama. The same way I didn't own it in the previous chapters. My people are still working on it.
 
 
* * Part Eleven: In Which the Booze Platoon Makes Its Appearance * *
 
 
Kagura tried not to stare at the rice Okita was forming into mouth-sized balls and pulling to his lips. She had wiped her own bowls clean; the fish was a skeleton and there wasn't even a trace of soup left anywhere, not a drop of sauce.
 
Man, this was good food! In the Freelancer household there was rarely any real cooking done. Everything was entrusted to the microwave oven and so, even though (according to legend) Gintoki could cook, he preferred not to divulge his great skill and condemned himself and Kagura to convenience store's packed lunches, instant soups, sweets and beef jerky.
 
If this is what the Shinsengumi ate on an everyday basis, she wanted in! It was the perfect place, you got to kick ass, blow things up, wear a cool uniform AND they fed you!
 
She unglued her eyes from the long arch created by Okita's chopsticks as they were travelling to his mouth laden with salty fish. Kagura tried thinking of something to say, a conversation they could have. Now that she thought about it, Kagura realised she knew absolutely nothing about this man. Well, she knew some of his tricks, both with his sword and with his tongue, but she didn't know where he came from, she didn't know how he came to join the Shinsengumi, she didn't know who gave him that plant on the shelf. And she also didn't know how to ask.
 
She looked back to the table when a scratching sound signalled an object sliding over the wood and stopping in front of her. Okita continued eating as thought nothing happened, but in front of her was half a bowl of rice with fish and pickled vegetables.
 
She looked up at him with the all-consuming joy of a child on Christmas morning and Okita smirked into his soup.
 
“Man, China, you are so easy to please,” he snickered and slurped a drought of the warm liquid.
 
“Thank you,” she said, not letting his cynicism affect her happiness and started eating this small offering much more slowly than before and with pronounced respect. Okita shrugged his shoulders and busied himself with the fish head.
 
He did it again. Making you think that he could be kind if he really put his mind to it; that within the green slime of a corrosive quality which made up his spiritual being, there was also a little shellfish and inside its hard armour, there was a little pearl. But, probably, it was an illusion the green slime exercised on the surrounding creatures and if Okita Sougo ever did do a nice thing for you, he did so to fuck you over eventually.
 
“You are not seriously going to eat that?” screeched Kagura when Okita managed to poke out a fried white eyeball from the fish's head.
 
Okita looked at her with mischief and moved his chopsticks to her face. “You don't wanna try?”
 
“Don't point that thing at me, it's disgusting!”
 
“It tastes salty, really, China. Not half as bad.”
 
“I am not putting that in my mouth, you sick bastard!”
 
There was tremendous shuffling on the veranda and they fell silent, chopsticks suspended in midair and holding the eye ominously.
 
“Shhh, what are you doing?”
 
“It wasn't me, it was Hijikata.”
 
“Shit your face, Sakata!”
 
“Sir, I told you not to take the bottle along,” mumbled a voice Kagura recognised as the slim man from before whom Okita denounced as a spy.
 
“You said no such thing, Yamazaki,” said Hijikata in a hushed growl.
 
“What did they say, just now?” strained Gintoki. “He just said it tasted salty, right, that's what he said, that it tasted salty?”
 
“I DOES taste salty...” said the spy again, in a thoughtful voice.
 
“Yamazaki, that was just weird,” said the Gorilla after a pause.
 
“Sorry, sir,” replied Yamazaki.
 
“Would you two shut up?” hissed Hijikata.
 
“He is making her, MY Kagura, I mean, shut the fuck up, all of you!”
 
Okita looked at her over the table, his face slightly apologetic. He mouthed “idiots” and flipped the eye into his mouth.
 
Kagura watched him swallow it happily, then dug her chopsticks into the fish's head and popped an eyeball into her mouth. “Wow, it really is. Salty. And good,” she stated in a very loud and exaggerated voice.
 
Okita raised an eyebrow, not understanding where she is going with this.
 
“And it feels so good in my mouth,” continued Kagura. “I wonder what else you could do with it.”
 
Choking sounds came from the lawn. Okita's eyebrow went still higher up on his head, soon joined by the other one.
 
“What? What? You heard what she just said? I thought she was supposed to be a virgin, what the fuck is this?” Hijikata's badly covered growl flooded into the room like a shower of whispered indignation.
 
“…no, no, this is, em, we just heard it wronglyly,” blurted Gintoki.
 
“Mmm,” said Kagura in a high voice, throwing her smiling face to the ceiling and closing her eyes, enveloped in her acting for the moment.
 
“It doesn't sound wrong to me, I mean, it sounds just right, I mean, we heard just right,” spluttered Yamazaki, at the last moment adding, “sir, …sir.”
 
“Ah!” said Kagura playfully, falling on her back and biting down on her fingers as if she was choking any further sounds. “Bull's-eye!”
 
“It sounds to me as if your little girl is taking advantage of our little boy!” rasped Hijikata in a high, squeaky voice. “What is to say, our little, em, our Sougo!” he corrected himself after a moment of thought.
 
“No, no, hearing wrong, hearing wrong,” said Gintoki in a voice Kagura recognised as drunk denial.
 
“Say, Toshi? Toshi?” came the Gorilla's pleading mumble. “How old is our little Sougo now, anyways? It's been bothering me since before.”
 
“Aah, right there!” breathed Kagura, clamping hands over her mouth quickly to keep herself from giggling. Across the table, Okita was still looking at her quizzically, but now with a considerable amount of something else.
 
It looked like amusement, but it had sharper edges than that.
 
“Yamazaki, go see inside!” commanded Hijikata.
 
“Sir, I, sir, I would rather not,” said Yamazaki pathetically.
 
“Mmm, aah!” said Kagura again, taking her eyes off Okita.
 
“That's a direct Yamazaki, order!” said Hijikata, perfectly serious and murderous.
 
“I, sir, I-“ started Yamazaki, but choked on his own breath and started vomiting.
 
Kagura giggled so hard her knees bumped against the table, both of her hands still holding her mouth shut. Tears started forming in the corners of her eyes.
 
“Jimmy, dude, that's disgusting!” said Gintoki.
 
“…does it really taste salty?” came a completely misguided question from the Gorilla-commander.
 
“Yes,” informed him Gintoki.
 
“…”
 
“…I was told.”
 
Kagura was ready to draw their attention back to herself, when Okita appeared next to her, on the floor. She stared at his reddish eyes, completely focused again, like during a fight, but infused with a good deal of humour. They were still hypnotising enough to make her limbs limp and her entire body relax into feeling the human warmth where his torso leaned on her.
 
“What? Don't look at me like that, I mean have you never-“
 
“No!” came a double voice from the outside followed by some more throwing up.
 
“I mean, your own, it's normal, that is!”
 
Okita propped himself on one elbow, caught her wrists gently and pushed them away from her face. His mouth came down carefully, trying to be indulging rather than insistent. He connected to her upper lip, then retreated, only to give a slow, soft lick to her lower one. She let him fret for a nice, long while before responding.
 
The smallest movement was all he needed. At once, hands came up her body in a way they haven't done before. He had run his hands over her clothes many times until now and she'd lean into the touch, this was normal. But never did they feel this good, never before did she shiver when a thumb passed the underside of her breast or when nails scratched the inside of her bare knee.
 
And his body. She'd felt it, in battle or in playful, non-committing touches, but it was never this heavy on her. The pit of her stomach hurt with a weird sort of expectation and she wormed further into him, willing one of his legs to raise enough for her to fit her hip next to his abdomen and squeeze her thigh between his.
 
She heard him hiss when she moved against him and even though it would usually make her giggle or start provoking him for it, this time it just fed the anticipation that was slowly burning its way down, to between her legs.
 
“…they got quiet,” commented one of their odd spectators, but Kagura couldn't guess which one anymore.
 
“Not gonna say anything back, China?” whispered Okita into her ear and then caught the earlobe between his lips.
 
“What should I tell them?” she said, closing her eyes as Okita explored the tender skin leading from her ear to her neck.
 
“I don't know, you were doing so well a moment ago,” he said in a mocking voice.
 
“Mm, why don't you do one?”
 
Okita made his voice carry out, across the veranda. “Wait, what are you doing, that doesn't go there!” he said in a high, panicked tone.
 
Kagura giggled against his neck. “Sure it does, I've seen it on TV!”
 
“…what show would that be?” they heard the whisper of the misguided senior officer again.
 
“What show would that be, Kagura?” said Okita using the fake, high voice again.
 
“A cooking show!” replied Kagura and buried her head into the nape of Okita's neck. She bit the white flesh as he had done for her and enjoyed the quiet but unintentional moan from him.
 
“…” was the only comment from the garden for a while, until Yamazaki, back on scene after the barfing episode, said in a weak whisper: “…maybe they were showing how to stuff a turkey?”
 
“…you will die, Yamazaki!”
 
Kagura giggled and experimentally stuck her hands into Okita's kimono.
 
“Your hands are hot, China!” he whispered.
 
“Why don't you call me by my name, you did a moment ago?”
 
“I like China better,” he said and kissed her neck again, sharply aware of two small hands running down his ribs, one continuing to his back, the other coming back up to his shoulder. A small, heated thumb pressed against his nipple, maybe on purpose, maybe completely innocently, and that ended his patience. He pressed his entire weight on Kagura's small body certain that she at least wouldn't break.
 
“They've gotten quiet again,” stated Gintoki.
 
“Is Sougo ok? Is he still untouched?” said Kondo in a worried voice.
 
“Is he still alive?” mumbled Yamazaki.
 
“She managed to kill him?” said Hijikata, sounding a bit happier about the prospect than he should.
 
“We should go check up on him, I mean, we are his parents, Toshi!”
 
“I am not your wife!” screamed Hijikata.
 
“…”
 
“…oi, Hijikata, give me a swig from that bottle, I need to wash down the taste of that last sentence,” said the Freelancer after the baffled pause.
 
“I mean, he is not your son - don't you touch this bottle, Sakata - and that's why I said we should send Yamazaki.”
 
“Yes, you go, Yamazaki! Why didn't you go in the first place?”
 
“He didn't go,” bellowed Okita finally at the confused men outside, “because CAPTAIN Okita puts booby-traps on his doors! Now get the fuck away from here, all of you!” he finished, holding his upper body up on his arms over Kagura, who finally allowed herself to laugh out loud.
 
“…” came from the garden again. Then with a final ounce of resistance, Kondo shouted ridiculously loudly: “Are you sure you are ok, Sougo?”
 
“You insensitive Gorilla,” said Gintoki but then burped and destroyed the caring worry in his voice. “Are YOU ok, Kagura, darling?”
 
“I am fine,” shouted Kagura back. “Go drink!”
 
“…she knows me too well,” mumbled Gintoki.
 
Kondo wasn't giving up that easily. “Are you sure you are ok, Sougo? You don't want us to come in?”
 
“No! Go away, Commander! And if either you or Hijikata send Yamazaki to check up on me again, I'll give him back to you in a box!”
 
“Several boxes,” shouted Kagura, inspired and looked up at Okita's laughing face.
 
“Nice one, China,” he said quietly, only for her.
 
“No, sir, please, sir. Young miss, I didn't do anything, I just came back from practice, it's all Murphy!”
 
“Shut up, Yamazaki,” said Hijikata sharply.
 
Okita and Kagura waited for several long moments before the shuffle of defeated drunk men died away with Gintoki asking if they have anything else in the liquor cabinet and then, with a sigh, Okita rolled off of her.
 
Kagura felt cold and mad, annoyed by his sudden deflation and hurt by the loss of interest. “What? Done already? I thought it took more time since it gets its own scene in movies!”
 
Okita turned his head inquisitively. “What does?”
 
“The love scenes, you know.”
 
“No, this is as far as it goes, China,” he sighed, looking back to the ceiling. “Any more than this and it's a different game altogether.”
 
 
* *
 
 
I love Yamazaki. He is so easy.