Gravitation Fan Fiction ❯ The Last Note ❯ The Last Note ( One-Shot )

[ A - All Readers ]

The Last Note
By: Araki
Rating: K+
Disclaimer: I don't own anything, especially not Gravitation
 
~*~*~
 
There was always things like this left around the house, and Eiri rarely paid mind to it. Post-it notes on the fridge reminded him to eat something besides beer; a note on his carton of cigarettes gave him a health-aware advisory. Things Shuichi did to show his love and compassion towards their relationship. Eiri usually just ripped them off the item they were attached to, and shredded them for good measures. Yet this one, this one he couldn't stop staring at.
 
The “Brat”, better known as Shindou Shuichi, had left earlier that morning with K, his manager. It was the daily ritual, but this time it hadn't awoken Eiri. The man was in a dead sleep, like he was usually after finishing in time for a deadline, and was catching up on much needed sleep. After a cup of coffee, some warm cereal, and the newspaper, Eiri finally started towards his study, pealed off the sticky note attached that read, “Remember to get some fresh air, love you!” with a heart poorly drawn, Shuichi's symbol on most notes.
 
As he stepped into the room, it dawned to him that another note was attached to his computer screen. The first thought that had entered the writer's mind was the residue would be hard to clean off of it, but then he read the chicken scratches, Shuichi's scratches, and it still rested in his hand as he stared down at the beer can resting in his left hand, then up to the pack of cigarettes waiting to be smoked. A new pack, Shuichi was kind enough to understand under any circumstance, Eiri would not quit, so he made sure the novelist had a full pack before he started writing.
 
Devoted love, easy enough to state. Very devoted. He reached up, placing his unopened beer on the cherry oak desk, staring at the laptop that had held the note, but he didn't turn it on. His mind nagged him that he needed to check his manuscript, and then start printing. Yet, he didn't turn it on, didn't move. The note in his hand crumpled, his once relaxed fingers formed a fist.
 
He wanted to be angry with The Brat, but he couldn't find motive to, only at himself. All the post-it notes said the same, but why this one? Why did he have to notice this one out of all of them? Why did this one affect him? He frowned. Shuichi was always there for him, reminding him of things he didn't want to know, to remember. The boy brought sun through his darkened windows just so he could see the light. It wasn't rays, but the shine was still a lot. Perfect, to be more precise.
 
Grabbing his beer, he stood up once more and walked towards the refrigerator to put it away before returning to his study. He didn't do this with those other notices, the ones about alcoholism and liver failures due to the use of alcohol use. He had snorted when Shuichi had left an interesting note about ethanol affecting sexual performance. Yet, a small note made him want to make Shuichi happy.
 
With hesitant fingers, he reached for his cigarettes and opened them. He took three out, placed them in his shirt pocket, and went to go put the rest back in the carton. He was going to make Shuichi proud, on this reasonable day. On some occasions, he wouldn't have cared what day, what words, what person told him what to do, but it was enough reason.
 
Thoughtfully, he brought to life his laptop, leaning back in his chair as his hand brought up the post-it note that had been left on his laptop. The special note that Shuichi would never know affected him.
 
Happy Anniversary, Yuki! I know I won't be there when you read this, or will I be there after. You and Seguchi-san are right, we weren't made for each other, but I still love you. Will you remember that? I hope you will, I hope to see you again sometime, Yuki! As friends. Shuichi