Gundam SEED Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Hell Knows No Fury Like A Woman Scorned ❯ Re-meeting... Or Not ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimers: I own nothing, except Merci's sorceresses.
Chapter Summary: Athrun finally meets up with Merci, who is really Chione, on Aprilius One. He tries to reconcile with her, but Merci just ignores him. Will Merci ever forgive Athrun for his `mistake'? And will a heated kiss change things between them? Stay tuned to find out.
Chapter 3: Re-meeting... or not

While waiting to meet with Chairman Dullindal, Athrun headed off to the bathroom and bumped into a busty Lacus look-alike and her red Haro. The fake Lacus was happy to see Athrun, and he asked her what she was doing there. After she left, Chairman Dullindal walked by and remembered he had an appointment with Athrun. He asked Athrun what was wrong, but Athrun replied that it was nothing.
Good, then I'll like you to meet someone.” Chairman Dullindal announced, as he pushed his office's door open.
“Athrun, this is….” Chairman Dullindal began.
“We've already met.” Chione replied stiffly, as she got up to leave.
“Hrm, so my assumption was right.” Chairman Dullindal replied thoughtfully.
Entering the office with Athrun, Chairman Dullindal added, “Please, Lady Chione.”
“Queen Chione.” Chione corrected coldly.
“Lady...” Chairman Dullindal protested.
“Queen.” Chione repeated, turning a cold glare at him. “Or have you forgotten that the Colony Leaders have voted me Queen?”
Chairman Dullindal sighed, “Alright, Queen Chione. This is of outmost importance.”
“If you insist.” Chione replied coolly, returning to her seat.
Athrun cast a careful look at her and sat down beside her.
Chione frowned slightly and shifted away, putting some distance between them.

Back on Earth, Kira and Lacus watched on as the nuclear warheads in space detonated, and Kira was reminded of Rau Le Creuset.
In the PLANTs, the PLANT news agency announced that the Alliance had attempted to make another nuclear strike which was prevented at the last minute by ZAFT. Across the PLANTs, citizens were outraged that the Alliance would unilaterally attack them with nuclear weapons once again.
Both Chione and Athrun watched the broadcast from Chairman Dullindal's office and Athrun could not believe it.
Chairman Dullindal remarked he was surprised not only by the swift attack, but also by the fact that nuclear weapons were used. With the situation now being quite precarious, he noted that they are in a position similar to the last war. Athrun asked Chairman Dullindal what he will do, and Chairman Dullindal answered that if they were to use military force, the PLANTs will once again be plunged into a full scale war.
However, they also obviously could not keep the nuclear attack a secret now that it is public information.
Athrun pleaded with Chairman Dullindal not to respond out of hatred and spread the foolishness that his father Patrick did two years ago. He replied that because he believed his father's words, he killed many people and nearly killed Kira.
Chairman Dullindal then interrupted Athrun's plea by telling him that he heard from Shinn what the Junius Seven terrorists said. Chairman Dullindal then asked Athrun if Patrick was always evil, and Athrun replied he was not.
Chairman Dullindal then continued to say that however misguided he was, Patrick did everything for the sake of the PLANTs. He added that people only hear what they want to, and that the terrorists twisted Patrick's words to fit their anger against Naturals. He also says that Athrun should not bear the burden of what his father did or what others did because of his father's actions. Chairman Dullindal then reminded Athrun he was glad that he was dedicated to peace and came all the way up to the PLANTs to discuss it.

Across the PLANTs, angry citizens protested about the current situation and demanded the extermination of Naturals to keep themselves safe. Suddenly, the fake Lacus appeared in a TV broadcast sent out to all the PLANTs.
The fake Lacus agreed that the drop of Junius Seven and the nuclear attack by the Alliance are both tragic events. However, she replied that responding in anger will only result in another war.
The fake Lacus then pleaded everyone to calm down and trust in the efforts for peace made by Chairman Dullindal and the Supreme Council. She then began to sing a song, and all the citizens took her words to heart and calm down.

Chairman Dullindal bemoaned to Athrun and Chione that it was quite pitiful that he had to resort to using a fake Lacus, but her influence was much greater than his.
With the meeting over, Chione stood up and announced, “If there isn't anything else, Chairman, I'll take my leave.”
That said, she turned and headed out.
“Chairman…” Athrun began.
Chairman Dullindal rose a hand to stop him.
“I kind of guessed you might want to see her again.” he added. “But first, please follow me.”
Taking him to a restricted area, Chairman Dullindal then unveiled the new Savior Gundam.
He told Athrun that its abilities were somewhat different, but it was developed around the same time as three Gundams stolen by the Alliance.
Dullindal then questioned Athrun how he would respond if he offered to give him the Savior Gundam, and Athrun asked back if that meant returning to ZAFT. Chairman Dullindal replied that the offer was just as he stated, with no strings attached.
He explained that people with similar visions for peace should work together. He added that it was hard to go against the entire world alone, so Athrun needed to have power. He wanted him to be in a position of power and correct the world if it strayed off to the wrong path. He also told Athrun that he should know the answer to the question of what he needed to be able to do the things he was capable of doing and want to do. He finished off by saying that he wants Athrun to take some time to consider the offer.
Athrun returned to his hotel and found the fake Lacus waiting for him.
When he questioned her about who she was, she told him that her real name was Meer Campbell. Meer took Athrun by the arm and suggested that they should go eat dinner together.
Athrun just nodded mutely, until he sensed a cold glare.
Turning his head up, he saw Merci, no Chione, watching him with an indifferent glare.
Merci, is it really too late for us? he wondered as Meer dragged him off.
She asked him if she had performed as well as the real Lacus, and he told her that she did a good job. Meer replied that she had always been a fan of Lacus and used to sing her songs.
And because she sounded like Lacus, she received a call for help from Chairman Dullindal.
Athrun replied that Chairman Dullindal did not need her power, but rather that of Lacus, and Meer answered that she was fine with it and that no one needs for anything, so she did not mind being Lacus.
Athrun rethought about everything that has happened so far. He then remembered the Savior Gundam and Chairman Dullindal's words.
After escorting Meer back to her room, Athrun focused on the matter at hand: getting Merci back.
Athrun did not know what drew him to the rooftop. When he opened the escape door, he was mildly surprised to find Chione in the midst of her nightly prayers.
Her holy aura radiated around her knelt body as she continued her prayers.
Not wanting to disturb her, he wisely retreated.

After some time, Chione lowered her Cosmo and stood up. Letting out a relieved sigh, she turned to go.
Footsteps was what Athrun Zala heard some fifteen minutes later. He knew she was drawing near. It was now or never.
Then, the footsteps stopped momentarily was Chione let out a soft gasp. Athrun turned his head to look at her.
Stopping just five staircase steps above him, she trained a stony look a him.
Athrun shivered slightly under her stare. Of these years he had known her, Merci was never so cold towards him before.
Then, she did something that was totally out of character for her. Merci had brushed past him, as if he was nobody and was headed to the fire escape door.
Not wanting to let this only chance get past him, Athrun reached out and grabbed her wrist as Merci strolled past him.
“Unhand me, Zala.” Chione hissed.
“Iie. Not until you hear me out.” Athrun insisted.
“You've lost any chance you've had left the moment you pulled that stunt with our dear Representative.” Chione spat.
Athrun frowned.
How did she know?
As if reading his thoughts, Chione replied, “I saw.”
“You… you were there?” Athrun questioned in disbelief.
Chione turned and cast a glare at him.
“I. Was. On. The. Archangel.” she hissed, empathizing every word.
“I didn't know…” Athrun whispered.
“Didn't know or didn't want to know?” Chione pressed.
“Merci, I am so sorry." He said and she shook her head.
“We could only be friends. Nothing else.” She finally said.
“That's just it. I can't be just friends with you Merci.” He said and she took another step back, then another.
“Then I guess we can't be anything then.” She said. Yanking the door open, she walked off.
Frustrated, Athrun followed her. Grabbing her wrists, he pushed Chione forcefully against the wall.
Keeping her in place, Athrun leaned closer and smirked at her sharp intake of breath. His lips then rested against hers in a feathery kiss.
Chione's eyes blazed in fury at the atrocity he showed, especially after what he had done.
Her Cosmo flared as she blasted him away with a powerful spell. Athrun grunted as he was thrown back forcefully against the opposing wall.
“Know your place, soldier.” she hissed in fury.
“Merci, what...” Athrun blinked.
“Chione.” the girl corrected.
“Merci...” Athrun was stunned silent.
“Chione.” the girl insisted firmly. “I'm no longer the weak little girl you knew.”
Athrun sighed, “Fine Chione.” and mentally winced at the unfamiliar name.
“What happened?” he asked.
“I grew up.” Chione replied simply.
“Not only did I learn that in this world I could only depend on myself and no one else, I also learnt that to a woman, power and status is everything. Your dear Representative and my dear brother taught me that.” she added sarcastically.
“But you didn't have to...” Athrun protested.
“Agree to marry Jona Saran?” Chione completed his question.
She smirked, “Some sacrifices are necessary to achieve victory. Something your dear Cagalli will never do because she is afraid. Afterall, she is still a little girl.”
“Besides,” she added. “Isn't this what she wanted? To replace me? I'm actually doing her a favor, freeing from her duties so that she can be with you.”
“And tell Kira Yamato that if he can throw away a fifteen-year kinship this easily, so can I.” she remarked before walking away.
Athrun blinked at her retreating back. She really had grown up, so much that he did not recognize her anymore.
Guess we've really lost her. He realized.

SailorStar9: Woah, harsh Chione. What will happen next? Stay tuned to find out. Read and review.