Gundam SEED Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Hell Knows No Fury Like A Woman Scorned ❯ The Soldier's Life ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]


SailorStar9: A new chapter up and no review. You guys don't love me anymore. (Pouts). Anyway, this is Chapter 12. Read and review.
Disclaimers: Don't own, don't sue. R&R and no flames. Flames will extinguished by a fire extinguisher.
Chapter 12: The Soldier's Life

Somewhere in the future...
“Metis, where are you?” Neo-Queen Mercury called out as she searched the entire Mariner castle frantically for her daughter.
“Merci, what's wrong?” the older version of Lacus asked, her pink eyes looking at her best friend in concern.
“Lacus, Metis has disappeared.” the Neo-Queen told her.
“What?” Lacus exclaimed.
“Now, what is all this yelling?” Kira asked as he came forward to the two women, with an infant in his arms, his best friend and brother-in-law beside him.
“Your dear niece has disappeared.” Lacus informed him.
“What?” Kira gasped.
“Metis disappeared?” Athrun exclaimed, shocked. “When? How?”
“That's what I'm trying to figure out.” Merci replied.
“What if she took her?” the Neo-Queen asked worriedly.
“Cagalli or Venus?” Athrun offered.
“Your pick.” Merci replied.
Suddenly, the Neo-Queen felt a tug on her gown. Looking down, she noticed her son and picked the younger Mercurian sibling up.
“Mummy.” the young boy said.
“Yes dear?” Neo-Queen Mercury asked.
“Nee-san didn't disappear.” the boy reported.
“What do you mean?” Athrun asked his son.
“A lady came and took nee-san away. She's dressed just like mummy when she is fighting, but her color was dark green, not blue, like mommy.” the five-year-old replied.
The four adults looked at each other.
“Does she have a key-shaped staff in her hand?” Athrun asked.
“Yes daddy.” the boy replied.
“Pluto.” the other three adults chorused together.
“Okay, now we figured out who took her. But the question is why?” Merci asked.
“Don't worry.” Athrun soothed his wife. “If Metis is with Pluto, then she should be fine.”
“But, Metis just received her powers.” Merci looked up at her husband. “Her training isn't enough for her to go on a mission on her own.”
“Trust Pluto sis.” Kira told her. “Besides, when has she ever led us wrong?”
Merci sighed and nodded at her brother's logic.

Meanwhile at the Time-Space Door, Eternal Sailor Pluto had led the older Mercurian sibling to the Gates she stood guard of.
“Do you understand your mission?” the Senshi of Time asked the young girl.
Sailor Chibi-Mercury nodded, “I have to make sure mommy forgives daddy, right?”
Eternal Sailor Pluto let out a rare smile and nodded.
Sailor Chibi-Mercury returned her nod. Holding up her Time Key, the young future Senshi cried out, “Cronus, Father of Time, please take me back in time!”
In a blinding flash of light, the eight-year-old Senshi disappeared.

In the present day Sanc Kingdom, Merci was in her office attending to the daily affairs of the Sanc Kingdom when she was interrupted by a knock on her door.
“Come in.” the Sanc Princess called pleasantly.
The door opened and one of her most powerful priestess appeared at the door.
“Princess, one of the gardeners found this child wandering about the gardens and they were wondering what to do with her.” the priestess reported.
“I see.” Merci nodded as she stood up. “Thank you Lexus.”
“Now young one, where do you come from?” the Sanc Princess asked the little girl once Lexus was out of earshot.
Metis blinked at the younger version of her mother.
Yup, that's definitely mommy all right. She thought.
Then, Merci noticed the Time Key Metis had dangling around her neck and the Sanc Princess smiled knowingly.
“You're from the future, right?” she asked.
“Yes!” Metis replied enthusiastically. “But how do you know?”
“That.” Merci pointed to the Time Key around Metis' neck.
“Oh!” Metis replied sheepishly.
“I'm Metis.” the girl introduced herself. “I'm your daughter from the future.”
“And from your eye and hair colors, I think I know who your father is.” Merci smiled.
“You're too smart mommy.” Metis whined.
Merci chuckled.
“Come, let me show you to your room.” she offered.
“Can I sleep with you, mommy?” Metis asked.
Merci looked surprised before smiling down at her future daughter with a nod.

Meanwhile, the Archangel laid submerged in the territorial waters of the Kingdom of Scandinavia. A buoy was sent to the surface to receive news broadcasts from around the world.
“Over 1000 people have already been killed during the protests, and the Equatorial Union...” one reporter announced.
“In response to the statement made by the Atlantic Federation on the 18th, President Gadoa of the Southern African Union...” another reporter declared.
“In response to this statement, the PLANT government...” yet another reporter reported.
“They sure air a lot of depressing news everyday.” Andy remarked.
“In response to the continued resistance in Western Eurasia...” another reporter announced.
Turning to Murrue, Andy asked, “Don't you wonder if there aren't any more uplifting news for them to report on?”
“Like how a white dolphin at the aquarium gave birth to a calf?” Murrue joked.
“Well, I won't go that far...” Andy remarked.
“But still, I feel that something is amiss.” Murrue commented. “What happened to the war with PLANT? We're only getting news about the confused state of the Earth Alliance.”
“And the PLANT is like this the whole time...” Lacus replied, taking off her hear-gear as she switched the monitors over to show Meer performing.
“Calling all the courageous soldiers of the ZAFT Force!” Meer called out mid-way through her song. “For the sake of peace, we're working our hardest too! All of you, please take care!”
“They all seem lively and enjoying themselves.” Lacus commented.
“Are you okay with leaving things this way?” Kira asked her.
“Well, we'd like to do something about it if we could.” Andy remarked. “But if we make any careless moves, all it'd do is broadcast our current location.”
Turning to Kira, he added, “Under the current situation, that's not very good, is it? Especially to the Kingdom of Scandinavia who took us in? Even though your sister gave us her word that the Kingdom of Scandinavia won't turn us over to the Earth Alliance.”
“Yes, that's true.” Kira agreed.
“But we can't stay in hiding forever.” Lacus pointed out. “I know you're worried about your sister.”
“We can't make a move yet.” Kira replied. “We still don't understand anything yet.
“That's true.” Murrue agreed. “Even though Lady Chione managed to prevent Junius Seven from dropping, the chucks of debris that had broken off inflicted quite a significant amount of damage on Earth. PLANT's stance after the fact was a sincere one. The Alliance is stupid for starting a war as if it were on a fault-finding mission.”
“Yeah.” Andy agreed.
“It's the Blue Cosmos, isn't it?” he inquired.
“Probably.” Murrue replied. “But even after that incredible first strike, instead of acting out any stupid territorial ambitions, all Chairman Dullindal has done is engage in the minimal amount of defensive battles as seen appropriate by the citizens and the High Council. No matter how I look at it, he's not an evil person. Just based on these facts, at least...”
“I think that Chairman Dullindal is a great leader.” Lacus remarked. “Or rather, I'd been thinking that. Until my attempted assassination and later when Princess Peacecraft told us about his 'Destiny Plan'. Athrun decided to go to PLANT only because he felt the same way. That's what the Princess thinks.”
“Then who tried to kill you?” Kira posted a question.
Everyone was silent.
“And at this rate, I can't trust this Dullindal character yet.” Kira commented.
“Kira...” Lacus muttered.
“He's deceiving everyone.” Kira added.
“But that might be what politics is all about.” Andy replied.
“And it's doubtful that he doesn't know about this.” Murrue added.
“I wonder what the Chairman is thinking.” Lacus mused outloud.
“However, after seeing what's going on in Western Eurasia, I can't help wanting to side with ZAFT and attack the Earth Alliance.” Murrue interjected.
“And you're still opposed to that, right?” Andy asked Kira.
“Yes.” Kira replied. “Merci was right when she said Dullindal is complex.”
“I think that we would learn more about the situation in PLANT if Athrun comes back.” Lacus replied. “I wonder what he is up to...”
Turning to Kira, she added, “Your sister, the Princess... she has a history with him, doesn't she?”
Kira nodded, “Yes, we grew up together; the three of us. I'm not sure about Merci, but I think Athrun fell in love with her somewhere along the line.”

Meanwhile, the Minerva sailed into the Arabian peninsula and arrived at ZAFT's Mahamul base.
“We've captured a guiding beacon from Mahamul Base.” Meyrin reported.
“Fix the beacon and prepare to enter port.” Talia instructed.
“Beacon fixed. Preparing to enter port.” Heim replied.
Arthur sighed in relief as the ship entered the port safely.

“This is CPU, calling Maintenance Team B.” the metallic voice came over the mobile suit hanger intercom just as Athrun entered the hanger. “The swapping out of the parts for the ZAKUs' coolant system has been moved to 1500 hours.”
“As you asked, we changed the bandwidth of your sensors.” a technician told Rey as the pilot looked through the maintenance log. “Please check on it.”
“Commander Zala!” Lunamaria ran up to Athrun as she looked up from her maintenance log.
“But I'm so envious of the guys at the military headquarters.” Yolant complained. “There hasn't been a live concert by Lacus Clyne in so long. I wanted to see it live too!”
“But her singing style sure has changed.” Vino remarked.
Yolant nodded in agreement, “I'd always thought she'd be better off the way she's doing it now. It seems she's gotten younger, or rather, she's really cute lately. And her outfit is so bold this time!”
“And she actually has quite the breasts!” Vino added. “I definitely want to get a poster of her in that outfit!”
Their conversation was cut short when Athrun walked in between the two.
“Where is the maintenance log for the Savior?” he asked.
“Umm, this is it!” Yolant quickly got the log out.
“Thank you.” Athrun replied, typing in the information.
“And he's her fiancée! I'm so envious dammit!” Yolant remarked once they thought Athrun was out of earshot.
“Maybe we should unplug two or three cords on the Savior?” Vino suggested.
“I heard that, you two!” Athrun told them from the background. “All of what you just said.”
“I apologize!” the two technicians apologized frantically.

“Navcom online! Contract, main route five. NHM-BB01 Minerva, maintain your current approach.” the Mahamul base's docking controller announced.
“Control, this is BB01. Roger.” Heim announced back.
“Docking procedures complete.” Meyrin's voice came over the intercom. “All hands should swiftly perform their inspections and checks. Afterwards, standby on the ship until further instructions. Commander Zala, please go to the bridge.”
Shinn frowned deeply as Athrun walked off.
“Instead of scowling at him all the time, why don't you just tell him what you have on your mind?” Lunamaria asked.
“That's too childish of you.” she rebuked.

Athrun, Talia and Arthur disembarked and met up with base commander Joachim Ruddle.
“I am the Captain of the Minerva, Talia Gladys.” Talia declared, saluting.
“I am the Vice Captain, Arthur Trine.” Arthur replied.
“I am Athrun Zala of the Special Forces.” Athrun wrapped up the introductions.
“Athrun... Zala?” Ruddle echoed.
“Yes.” Athrun replied.
“Athrun? Of the Klueze Team?” the soldiers behind Ruddle whispered.
“No, please excuse me for that.” Ruddle apologized.
“I am the Commander of the Mahamul Base, Joachim Ruddle.” Ruddle reported.
“Thank you for coming all this way.” he added, extending a handshake to Talia who took it.
“It's not a problem.” Talia replied.
“Would you like a cup of coffee to start things off?” Ruddle offered. “As inhospitable as this area seems, they do at least have some good coffee beans.”
“Yes, thank you very much.” Talia replied.

“Well, I do understand how you feel Shinn.” Lunamaria told Shinn as she, Rey and Shinn walked into the corridor.. “He comes back all of a sudden and tells us that he is a member of FAITH and our commander?”
Elsewhere, Meyrin had given up her search and walked out.
“But he is a member of FAITH.” Lunamaria reminded Shinn. “It can't be helped. It's not like he doesn't have the authority.”
“I know that!” Shinn retorted. “You sure are annoying, Luna.”
“And just what do you know?” Lunamaria demanded.
“That's enough, so shut up. It has nothing to do with you Luna.” Shinn told her sharply and stormed off.
“Geez.” Lunamaria pouted.

“The situation over here seems rather difficult.” Talia remarked as Ruddle showed the three the ground condition.
“Yes, as expected of the forces of Suez, we can't attack them carelessly.” Ruddle agreed. “If we really wanted to defeat them, a large-orbital drop operation like that of the last war would be the best option. However, that plan apparently isn't getting past the council.”
“'We have no territorial desires on this planet.'” Talia quoted. “I wonder if that's the reason why the council is telling us we can't do it.”
“Although I support the High Council and the Chairman's policy on not expanding the war any further, we also don't want them doing whatever they like because we're staying quiet.” Ruddle remarked.
“By that, do you mean there's a problem, other than the Suez?” Talia asked.
Pointing to the map, Ruddle added, “Under normal circumstances, the Earth Alliance should be launching campaigns against this Mahamul Base and across the Mediterranean to our Gibraltar Base, with their Suez Base as their stronghold. However, they're unable to do that as they wish.
“Why?” he asked.
“The reason is here.” he answered his question, circling his pointer around an area.
“The Western Eurasia District?” Arthur was confused.
“Yes. Now that we have the Indian Ocean and Gibraltar in our control, the stability of this area between the Suez and the main continent is a must.” Ruddle replied. “If not, Suez would be isolated. Centered around the ammunition plant in Gulnahan, they are maintaining a lifeline to Suez by forcing compliance in the district and applying pressure against the resistance in Eurasia. And thanks to the attacks being launched from Central Eurasia, the resistance forces have been placed in a difficult situation of being unable to pull back further south.”
“But on the other hand, if we are able to overcome that point, we will be able to cut off their lifeline to Suez, assist the Resistance, and indirectly deal damage to the Earth Alliance Forces?” Athrun pointed out. “That's it, right?”
“Yes, that's basically it.” Ruddle replied. “But they understand that too. They haven't made the job easy for us. We can only approach them from our side via this canyon. But they've also figured that out and have placed a positron cannon here and have stationed a monstrous mobile armor with a deflector to defend it. We tried to break through before, but the result was miserable.”

Flashback
The Mahamul base previously sent out a force consisting of land battleships, BuCUEs, GAZuOOTs and GINN OCHER Types, but they were all destroyed by the Lohengrin cannon.
End of Flashback

“It's like the one back then...” Arthur gasped in recognition.
“But perhaps with Minerva's forces...” Ruddle suggested.
“I see.” Talia noted. “So basically, unless we break through here, we won't be able to get to Gibraltar?”
“Well, that's basically how it is.” Ruddle replied.
“I wonder what raccoon thought up of such a plan to make us blaze this kind of trail.” Talia mused aloud.
“Well, never mind.” she waved Ruddle's concern aside. “Doing something like that is indeed our job.”
“Well then, we'll talk again later about the timing of the operation.” Ruddle concluded the meeting. “We have preparations to make as well. But this time, I hope that we'll be able to break open a path wit the Minerva.”

“Huh? So Shinn hasn't spoken to Commander Zala since?” Meyrin asked his sister as the twin were taking a shower.
“Well, yeah.” Lunamaria replied. “It's pathetic, Shinn's such a child.”
“Yeah.” Meyrin agreed, picking up Lunamaria's skirt. “I'm sorry but even I feel this way.”
“Well, I'm sure things will work out eventually with Shinn being the loser.” Lunamaria told her.
“That's true.” Meyrin agreed as she tried on her sister's skirt. “Commander Zala is definitely more mature and... cool.” Finding that it was too small for her, she tossed it away, frustrated.
“Huh? But I thought he was only a year older than me.” Lunamaria pointed out.

On the observation deck on the Minerva, Shinn stood alone but was soon joined by Athrun.
“What's wrong, standing alone in a place like this?” Athrun asked the younger pilot.
“It's nothing.” Shinn replied. “What about yourself? Isn't a member of FAITH busy with a lot of things? Are you okay with wasting your time in a place like this? ”
“You really can't talk in an unoffensive manner, can you?” Athrun replied. “Are you really that unhappy with the fact that I returned?”
“Not really.” Shinn replied. “To begin with, having someone who was a bodyguard for Athha until only recently coming back and saying he's a member of FAITH and is my commander is... How am I supposed to agree to that and obey your orders. What you're doing makes no sense!”
“That's probably true. I'll admit that.” Athrun admitted. “I'm sure that from your point of view what I'm doing makes no sense. Is that the reason you want to give?”
Shinn was stunned.
“Because of that, you don't want to listen to what I say.” Athrun continued. “That you don't like me? Is that it?”
“No...” Shinn stammered.
“Are you trying to say that you're the only person who is right and that you don't accept anyone you don't like or don't agree with?” Athrun asked.
“I never said such a thing!” Shinn protested.
“Then what about that battle on the Indian Ocean?” Athrun asked. “Do you still think that wasn't a mistake?”
“I do.” Shinn replied.
“You said that you lost your family at Onogoro in Orb?” Athrun asked.
“I said that they were killed by them, the Athha.” Shinn replied.
“Yeah...” Athrun remarked. “You can think that if you want. But are you saying that's why you thought that?”
“If I had the power back then...” he added. “If only I can get hold of such power...”
Shinn gasped, “Why... would you say such a thing?”
“Anyone who has cried over his lack of power will think that... probably.” Athrun replied. “But from the time you get a hold of that power, you become the one who makes others cry. Don't you ever forget that. We'll be returning to the battlefield soon. If you forget what I just said and blindly wield your power for the sake of your own reasons and justice, all that would make you, is a destroyer. You're not really like that, are you? We're going out there on a mission for the military. Not for a street brawl.”
“I know that!” Shinn retorted.
“Then, that's fine.” Athrun smiled. “As long as you understand that, you're an excellent pilot.”
Shinn blinked as Athrun walked off.
“Otherwise, you're just an idiot.” the older pilot told him.

SailorStar9: You guys wanted this chapter, so, it's done. Next chapter, the Minerva goes into battle in the Suez.