Gundam SEED Fan Fiction ❯ Afterwards ❯ How Reality and Fancy Fairy Tales Don't Mix ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Well, here's the second chapter. I'll try to keep the pace faster. I'm still not yet sure how this will turn out. Anyway, thank you for the reviews.

Disclaimer:....-.- I don't own Gundam SEED and the usual stuff.

**********

Gundam SEED: Afterwards

Chapter 2

How Reality and Fancy Fairy Tales Do Not Mix

**********

The Peace Conference was the breaking point by which Naturals and Coordinators would test if they could co-exist with each other. The bottom line of it was, if everyone could not come to an agreement with anyone right then and there, what more if one race tried to fit the other into their own definition of a peaceful world?

People had waited for so long for this moment to come. Now that it was there, Cagalli was not sure how matters would turn out. She just had to hold her breath.

Cagalli hoped that their tiny, luminous flame would not only hold out long enough but burn even more brighter in the welling up darkness; that the negative feelings wallowing in the deep would just sink down.

The young leader of Orb snapped out of her reverie. It had only been a few minutes into the meeting and her attention was already swayed by her wandering thoughts. Cagalli blamed it on her strange quirk of being a poor listener when the topic was motivating and vice versa. That was because, when she sympathized a lot with what was being said, she tended to muse a lot about it herself.

Cagalli threw a glance at Athrun's direction. He was standing behind her, listening very intently. He's probably used to these things. She thought. Well, if Athrun can do it, I can too.

The youth soon found herself being pulled into the flow of conversation.

"I believe that there is no room for tyranny, envy, and greed in this new world we are trying to build," Gilbert Dullindal was saying. "These things have only become the root cause of this incessant war. And the nuclear weapons, these so-called keys, by which we thought would end the war, they have been mistakes we should never have committed."

The murmur of assent was heard amidst the delegates of different nations. Cagalli felt glad that everyone was already realizing his follies. But, wait. Things were too good to be true. There were always a few who would oppose. Cagalli was searching for them now.

"So, you're saying that we should follow the example of neutral countries such as Orb?" said someone out of blue.

It was a harmless question. But these kinds of questions often lead to....Cagalli did not want to think about it. She could be wrong. Everyone turned his/her eyes on this antagonist.

He was a hazel-eyed, raven-haired person who looked as young as Cagalli, Athrun, and not to mention, Yzak, who was sitting a few seats away from President Dullindal. All the rest stared at him as if they were wondering why a young man like him was there. Certainly, there were other young people present there aside from him. But, they were not ones to try drawing attention to themselves.

"What I'm saying is, should Naturals and Coordinators live a life of mixed culture just like Orb?" rephrased the man. Then, he added with a sarcastic smile, "Can mankind do it?"

A stillness hung in the air as the question hit point blank, snaking into the minds of the listeners.

"Personally, I think it would be impossible, what with the differences and all," he drawled on.

Somehow, Athrun felt that this provocation might incite strong responses from Cagalli. And he was right.

"It's not impossible," came Cagalli's voice, ringing clear in the vastness of silence. It seemed to hold some power of its own.

The raven-haired man scanned the faces, looking for his brave challenger. His eyes fell on a golden-haired female with defiant flame-colored eyes. Cagalli.

"This Peace Convention is proof of it," continued Cagalli, locking eyes with the former.

"May I ask who you are, Miss?"

"Is it any of your business to know?"

"You should be happy that I'm actually regarding you, Miss, because I don't usually pay attention to unimportant people." Cagalli imagined him saying this. But what he actually said was, and with a smirk even, "It's not a crime to know, is it?"

Cagalli's hackles rose. Underneath the table, she was clenching her fists. Athrun stirred ever so slightly, ready to do/say anything to placate the easily excitable lady.

".....Cagalli Yula Athha..." Cagalli managed to tell him through gritted teeth. If there was one thing she hated, it was revealing her identity.

The man placed his elbows on the table and rested his chin on his hands, studying Cagalli with renewed interest. "Athha huh? You must be the heir of the late Prime Minister Athha."

The mere mention of the name of Athha was enough to reawaken the dormancy amongst the people inside the conference hall. Inaudible whispers were exchanged; glances were made Cagalli's way.

Gilbert Dullindal's only reaction was a whimsical smile at this development of their Peace Convention. He kept silent.

As for Athrun, he was worrying a lot about Cagalli.

And in Cagalli's shoes, the teenager was trying hard to restrain herself.

The representatives were arguing a bit now, mostly dropping in 'Orb', 'ZAFT', neutrality, and the likes into the discussion. The comments mainly came from the black-haired man. Still, he was bludgeoning his radical opinions, which seemingly (and sharply) pointed a lot to neutral countries, especially Orb. No one knew why.

Athrun looked at the back of the person who filled his thoughts a lot. He could see her golden head drooping down, her back in a slouched position. Her hands were still clenched tightly.

She must be very mad now. Athrun was thinking.

He decided to approach Chairman Dullindal. Stooping down a little, he said into his ear, "Sir, may I have permission to take Ca...I mean, Prime Minister Athha out?"

Gilbert glanced up at the bent over figure. "And why is that?"

Athrun hesitated for a while. "I have known her to get temperamental over such talks...." he said carefully.

Gilbert smiled warmheartedly. "Athrun Zala, there is no need to ask permission from me. You are free to do as you want."

"I-I just felt that it was formal to let you know." Athrun did know that he was free to do as he wanted. But he did not like to abuse his privileges, let alone exercise them. His powers, if he allowed himself to think that way, were (frighteningly) almost on par with the highest office in the government. Why it came to be like that Athrun kept to himself.

Pushing those things aside, Athrun walked over to Cagalli. Even while his face was already level to hers, she did not seem to notice the blue-haired coordinator.

"Cagalli, let's go."

Cagalli lost the stormy mood she had been bottling up and turned to Athrun with a dazed look. "Huh?" was all she could say, incomprehension written all over her face.

"Let's go out. Come on!" With that, Athrun held onto her bare elbow, tugging her up. And before Cagalli could even react, her bodyguards were already moving in.

"It's alright, you guys," Cagalli blurted out to the bodyguards, putting up her palms. Then, turning back to Athrun, she hissed, "what are you doing? We're in the middle of a conference!"

"That's okay," persisted Athrun. "Now, haul yourself up."

Cagalli, after some thought, finally complied. With a gesture, she signaled her bodyguards to stay put. The two teenagers quietly left the conference hall.

**********

"Are you sure it's okay to leave just like that?" Cagalli kept on asking Athrun.

"Of course," was Athrun's two-word answer, furnishing it with one of his rare smiles.

It was as if time had stopped at that moment. Cagalli found herself going soft in the inside. Awkwardly turning away from him, she felt the blood creeping up to her face. I hate it when he smiles like that...

"Cagalli?" Athrun peered at her questioningly.

"Y-yes?"

"Is there anything wrong?"

"N-nothing!" Cagalli started walking briskly, but was stopped by Athrun, as he told her, "Wait! You're going back to the conference hall?"

Cagalli blinked. Again, she gave Athrun a confused stare. "Huh?"

"That corridor leads to the conference room," Athrun explained.

"Oh! Sorry!"

Athrun laughed and Cagalli glowered at him as she backtracked her way.

"What's so funny?" Cagalli raised an eyebrow at Athrun, putting her hands on her hips. It was one of those times again when Athrun would suddenly laugh out after Cagalli did things. And no matter how much Cagalli tried to cajole the reason out of him, Athrun was always able to elude her.

Cagalli sighed heavily. It was her way of saying 'I give up'.

They continued walking, with Cagalli having no idea where Athrun was leading her. The conference hall was far behind now.

"That guy pisses me off," Cagalli said at random.

Athrun did not have to ask whom Cagalli was referring to. "He seems to enjoy doing it," Athrun pointed out.

"Who is he anyway?"

"I don't know. All I know is, there are still a few of his type around."

Cagalli paused. "Then, this peace is wrong."

"What part of it?"

"The part wherein there has to be antagonists...." Cagalli trailed off, staring down at her hands.

Athrun looked at Cagalli with sympathy. "It's just like you said. There are antagonists. That means, life can never really be a fairy tale ending in 'happily ever after'. There will always be people who take pleasure in trampling the wishes of others. They are unavoidable. That's why we have to protect our beliefs and hope they will see things our way."

"....someday?" Cagalli hazarded tentatively but hopefully.

"Yes, someday."

"You really are a mature person, Athrun," commented Cagalli, eyes lighting up with admiration. She smiled at him.

This time, it was Athrun's turn to be stunned. He turned red in the face.

Cagalli suddenly became mindful of the time. She had been following in his wake when she touched his shoulder gently. "Athrun," she called out to him. "I'm fine now. I think it's time we should go back to the convention."

"Are you sure? I was planning to take you to the lounge. "

"No, you don't have to. But, thank you anyway."

"You're welcome," Athrun said.

As the two of them turned back, they were surprised to see two of Cagalli's thickset bodyguards standing there, very casually.

-----

Cagalli embraced her bare shoulders, shivering. Her teeth chattered. The air conditioning was definitely intolerable. Half an hour more and Cagalli predicted that she would frost up. She was really not used to the cold. She had lived in places with temperate climate, after all. Cagalli wished that she had worn something that could have provided her warmth, a long-sleeved shirt perhaps, just like most of the people there.

This nagging cold temperature constantly occupied Cagalli's mind throughout the Peace Convention and some other things as well.

The negotiations and proposals were heard and dealt with in the most favorable manner, usually. It could have been smooth sailing if not for the black-haired, obviously, natural, who was, yet obviously again, opposed to the very idea of "pacifism".

And Cagalli was wrong to think that after cooling off some steam earlier, she would not be bothered by such a maverick person. You better control your suicidal fantasies. What's a guy like him doing here? I should have gotten my cloak from that bodyguard but he went outside now...

Speaking of her bodyguards, the memory of her bodyguards following her around and hearing her talks with Athrun....it embarrassed Cagalli a lot. She saw them putting on the least signs of a smile, even though they were trying to seem as emotionless as possible.

Cagalli shivered even more.

"Hang in there, Cagalli," she whispered to herself, as if the words would warm her up.

Cagalli was taken by surprise as someone lightly draped his coat over her shoulders. She jerked her head and saw Athrun's face.

"Thank you," mouthed Cagalli , drawing the coat more tightly around her. And as if there was some magic at work, Cagalli felt warmth pouring into her. Was it because of Athrun's coat or Athrun himself? Either way, she was gratified a lot.

The Peace Convention had gone on long enough already that it was about time that the attention of many wavered. Chairman Dullindal of ZAFT knew that. But he would not let this chance pass just yet. He had to make his plans known.

Within the chatter of people, a strong and definite voice spoke out loud. "Before we conclude this conference, I would like to lay down my final proposal."

During that moment, Chairman Dullindal had the undivided consideration of every person present inside the room. He continued on. "I have long realized that this chapter will never last forever. A sequel to war is not impossible. Who knows when war might break out again? No one knows. There will be a day when we are all sitting here like this at one long table, sharing our ideas and thoughts like comrades. There will be another day when we erect barbed fences and spit venomous words at each other, exchanging life for another life. The peaceful blue sky might change into a dreary gray that may never return to its former color. I will tell you all my ultimate remedy to our difficulty."

Chairman Dullindal paused. Not a person stirred. They were waiting for his next lines. Even the black-haired radical was hushed. Was it out of respect or lack of anything to say?

"What is this ultimate remedy? This universal panacea that will end our problems? I am proposing two things. One, that we coordinators dispose of the technology that gave rise to our kind. I myself am a coordinator. Therefore and naturally, I should not oppose the technology that made us. But, this has only given way to the emulative feelings of man and the envy of most. Two, that all weapons - mobile suits, mobile armors, GUNDAMS, all mechas - should be eradicated and not a trace left. I know that these machineries were made for insurance. But as long as we have them, there will always be animosity. Keeping them would be a poor excuse for mankind that he does not feel safe without them."

"I am saying all this will be for our greater good. If we must revamp this world, it must be a world wherein we offer ourselves with spontaneity. It is my acceptance of truth that most of you agree with my points. This issues are not only our concern but everyone else's as well. Let everyone know it, so that they make take part in reconstructing."

Gilbert Dullindal's speech was met with fervent applause. Cagalli turned to look at Athrun, sharing a smile with him. Somehow, Cagalli's cold condition did not matter to her anymore. She felt Gilbert Dullindal's words feeding her strength and hope. The luminous flame in people's hearts would be kindled.

**********

Sitting for almost five hours straight made Cagalli's back and bottom very sore. She could have emerged in a grouchy mood from the conference hall if not for the inspiring speech the chairman of the ZAFT council made.

Cagalli had planned to rebuke her bodyguards for insubordination. Yet after hearing Gilbert Dullindal, she felt her tolerance level replenished. Then again, seeing Athrun reminded her of those plans. She would do it, she promised herself. Just not now. Maybe if it would happen again.

"The coordinators are in good hands," Cagalli was telling Athrun as they were positioned away from the double doors. The delegates were slowly filing out, making idle talk with each other.

Athrun also felt very much the same. "There has always been a person like Gilbert Dullindal hiding all along. He should have come out earlier than now. He could have stopped the war sooner."

"With his guidance, do you think we can straighten out this warped world?"

Athrun was about to open his mouth to answer when a loud voice shouted out his name.

"Hey, Athrun!"

Athrun and Cagalli stared at the argent-haired man coming towards them.

"You've been doing this since morning, Yzak," remarked Athrun, shaking his head.

"You...t-think...s-so?" Yzak said, at the same time catching his breath.

Cagalli gazed at this person, puzzled. She could not put where she had seen him before.

Athrun noticed the nonplussed look on Cagalli's face and introduced the argent-haired man to her. "Cagalli, this is Yzak Jule. Both of us were in Klueze's squadron."

"Nice to meet you, Yzak." Cagalli was still ransacking her brain, trying hard to piece any bit of recognition, anything.

"So, you're with her," Yzak observed, smirking. Then, he brought his face close to Cagalli's, saying in a low voice, "You made quite a scene there, Miss Prime Minister."

Cagalli flushed a healthy red, not knowing how to counter something like that.

Now, Yzak turned to Athrun. "Didn't know you had a taste for the feisty type," he whispered into his ear teasingly.

Athrun's face suffused with a glow of crimson.

Yzak enjoyed watching the two people disconcerted. From the time that he saw the two of them together, he perceived that Athrun knew the Prime Minister of Orb more than just her name, that there was something going on between them. The only other lady that Athrun associated himself with was Lacus Clyne, and he only spent time with her because of their late fathers' matrimonial arrangements. That lady and Athrun's own mother. Otherwise, Athrun never had any involvement with women entirely.

It was about time that he cut short his fun, but not without one last payback for Athrun's earlier joke. Yzak was feeling quite naughty right then.

"Well I've got to split," he said. Yzak stood beside Athrun, whispering again, this time with a hint of seductiveness and purposely letting Cagalli hear, "But, don't forget. You're still mine."

That did it.

Cagalli snapped her eyes on Yzak, looking gravely at him. Then, she trained her eyes on Athrun, regarding him in a curious manner, as if she was doubting something.

"Yzak!" cried out Athrun. "That's not funny!"

Yzak burst into a fit of laughter. "Sorry, Athrun. I couldn't help it!"

For one whole minute, the three of them stood there. Yzak, laughing maniacally. Athrun, with a helpless expression on his face. Cagalli, thinking whether Yzak was really kidding or not.

After a while, Yzak wiped off the tears with the back of his hand and became serious at last. "Now, I really do have to go."

The argent-haired ZAFT council member caught sight of Cagalli's upset reaction. "It's not true, what I said," he told Cagalli gently.

Cagalli blushed. "I know that!" she responded rather strongly, turning her head away.

Yzak grinned. "You two make a cute couple," he commented. Oh well, two paybacks wouldn't hurt.

Athrun cheeks reddened and Cagalli even more. Yzak was satisfied with the results and so, left the two to themselves.

When Yzak was already a few feet away from them, he spun around and yelled over the heads of many, "Say hi to the pilot of Strike for me!"

That was the only time that Cagalli understood who Yzak was.

**********

Athrun wondered if Cagalli's bodyguards had a very high remuneration. They were always faithfully trailing behind wherever she went. They even disobeyed her orders not to follow her around. That was when the two of them went out of the conference hall in the middle of the convention. In the end, Athrun concluded that Kisaka was the one who commissioned them and not Cagalli.

Their procession of guide, leader, and bodyguards were some distance away from the entrance hall now. Cagalli had been drowning in her thoughts up until then that Athrun chose to keep quiet and lead the way out for the Orb party.

"Ne, Athrun," Cagalli suddenly said, coming to a stop.

"What?" Athrun found a grim-looking Cagalli with set flame-colored pools in her eyes facing him.

"....never mind," Cagalli mumbled and her feet began to move again. The silent procession restarted then stopped yet another time as Cagalli paused once more.

"What's wrong Cagalli? Is there anything bothering you?" Athrun looked closely at Cagalli's face. She appeared to want to ask him something but could not work up the nerve to do it. Athrun had a vague idea what this was all about.

Athrun heaved a deep sigh. Here goes...

"Cagalli," he began leniently and Cagalli quietly listened to him. "Yzak used to be a hotheaded person. He was quick to anger, quick to provoke. He even bore a seething grudge on Kira a year ago. But now, he's made quite a transition. Do you know? He's one of those who are actively participating in mending the torn seam between naturals and coordinators, just like us. And taking on this job, this responsibility, he's learned to stretch his patience and temper. I kind of feel glad myself that he's starting to kid around with people, not for mockery but for fun. There, have I erased your doubts?"

Cagalli's head hung limply as she wrung her hands to and fro. "I'm sorry, Athrun. I just couldn't get it off my mind. It's just that I was thinking that you two might be....lovers...." Cagalli garbled the last word, feeling odd as it rolled off her tongue. Now that she said it out loud, it seemed ridiculous that she was actually thinking about something like that.

Cagalli took a glimpse of Athrun, refined as always. He could have doubled over and guffawed. Instead, he was having a quiet laugh to himself. That only made Cagalli all the more ashamed.

When Athrun was done, or so Cagalli guessed. He closed the distance between them, catching Cagalli's flame orbs with his own jade ones. At that moment, Cagalli's heart pounded so hard that she was lost in her overwhelming sensations. And all Athrun did was to ruffle her aureate hair affectionately. "In my eyes, you never fail to be an interesting person," he said.

That was all he said and did. Nothing else. It was the closest thing to a compliment.

With a glance to the side, Athrun secretly pointed out to Cagalli the parade of buff men waiting behind them and Cagalli understood. As Athrun said to himself before, sentimentalities would have to wait after and additionally, not while others were around.

The two went on walking side by side.

"It was silly of me, wasn't it?" Cagalli asked lightheartedly.

"Why do you think so?"

"Because, I kept the thought lingering in my head, even though I shouldn't be. But then again, these things, these relationships...they weren't impossible. I was even asking myself who was...straight and who was not."

"If Yzak hears you, his pride would be hurt."

Cagalli pouted. "Well, he was the one who started the gears running in this head of mine. What about you? A penny for your thoughts, Mr. Zala."

Athrun put on a strange smile. "I'm used to it."

Cagalli's eyes went as wide as saucers. "And what does that mean?" she demanded to know, but not in an overly bossy manner.

"We're here."

The topic took a sudden end as they reached the lobby. Athrun suddenly realized that he would not see Cagalli again for what might be a long time. He savored the short moment that he spent with the princess of Orb. Meanwhile, Cagalli had almost forgotten that the whole time, she had Athrun's coat covering her bare shoulders. She had only now remembered about it.

"Athrun."

Athrun brought himself out of his abstracted state and paid heed to the figure in front of him. "What is it?"

"Um, thank you for your coat." With both hands, Cagalli lifted off Athrun's black coat and handed it back carefully.

Athrun quietly accepted the coat, wearing it.

...........

So, is this goodbye? Athrun was thinking.

Should I tell him that we're still going to see each other? Cagalli was thinking.

The spacious hall resounded with the movements of people crossing, coming, going, and impatiently waiting; announcements from the loudspeaker filling the air; the steady humming of people making pleasant verbal exchanges....

All the other sounds were there. But in Athrun and Cagalli's world, it was in mute mode - an exemplar of a black and white film with no auditory provision.

Time was frozen. The two stood apart from each other, waiting for some signal, some sign, some hint.

"Are you planning to return to earth now?"

"We'll still see each other."

Athrun and Cagalli said simultaneously.

"Huh?"

They also both chorused.

"Uh, you first," Cagalli verbally nudged Athrun.

"Are you planning to return to earth now?" Athrun repeated his question, testing his words.

"Actually, no. I'll be staying here for a week or so."

Athrun felt very much relieved, but he tried not to show it.

"Why?"

"I can accommodate you in my house," suggested Athrun.

"Would that be alright with you?"

"Yes, I'm sure."

Cagalli saw her bodyguards and was reminded of something else. She turned to Athrun, smiling sheepishly.

"Um, what about them?" Cagalli asked, referring to her ten bodyguards.

And Athrun began to ponder. "Uh, yes. About them..."

**to be continued**