Gundam Wing Fan Fiction / Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Red and Blue Makes Purple ❯ Weekend Memories ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N:

“Red and Blue Makes Purple”

Chapter Two

Weekend Memories

Duo was almost done packing by the time Heero came home from the office back to their split apartment. “So, Hee-chan, think you can survive a couple of days without me?”

Smirking, the other pilot smacked him in the head with a file as he passed. “I’m looking forward to the quiet.”

The other man feigned chest pains. “Ah, the hurt, the agony!” His false moans of pain turned into a genuine yelp as a hairbrush collided with his head. “Hey, thanks. I was looking for that.”

When he came back into the main room from getting his toiletries, there was a suspicious lump under his packed shirts. Smiling, he shook his head. Heero.

“Alright, I’m all packed,” he announced, snapping shut his suitcase. “Now Heero, remember-”

“Don’t send out the search party until you’re at least five hours getting back,” the perfect soldier finished with a snort. “Just get going, baka. Try not to get eaten by a squirrel or anything else.”

Duo sent his flat mate an odd look. “Maybe it’s a good thing you couldn’t get away from work to come. I think you’ve been spending too much time with me. But then he grinned and tossed his braid. “Oh well. See you in a few days!”

-

The cabin in question actually belonged to one of Quatre’s nephews, and was surprisingly small for belonging to a Winner spawn. Just two bedrooms, one bathroom, and a kitchen/family room combo with a balcony overlooking a forested valley. Amir Winner Ali was currently off to school in France, leaving it open for his uncle and/or his friends to use.

“Man, a guy could get used to this,” Duo sighed, leaning against the balcony railing. It had rained during the drive up the mountains, so the air was now thick with the scent of evergreen trees and wet moss.

Heero’s mystery gift had turned out to be a personalized pocket watch with the Maxwell church, as it had originally been, painted on the lid. His name and pilot designation were engraved on the inside. He suspected Quatre’s aid in the choosing. It was sweet, and Heero liked to pretend to be sneaky about his courting.

As he was gazing down into the valley, something odd caught his eye. Maybe it was the angle, but one grouping of trees really looked out of place from the others. The bases were huge, as though each was centuries old, but he couldn’t see them rising any higher than their neighbors.

“Well, Une said to keep an eye out for anything odd,” he muttered with another sigh, this one not so peaceful. “I knew talking to Une would mean work for me.”

It was already getting dark by the time Duo had gathered up some gear and made it down the steep hillside and to the valley floor. The Preventor issue flashlight made navigating the trees easier, but it was a lot harder to find the spot now that he no longer had his aerial view.

Something glinted in his flashlight beam, and Duo followed it until he found a small knife stuck in a tree. Crouching down, Duo stared at the thing. It was about the length of his hand span, with a cloth wrapped handle that was tipped with a loop just big enough to spin on a finger. When he pulled it free of the bark, his hand immediately wrapped around it in a comfortable and familiar grip. Too familiar.

/An older man sat next to him at an old fashioned noodle stand, grinning as he scratched at a horizontal scar across his nose. He wore an etched metal plate over his forehead./

/He looked down on a blond man who stood on the head of a giant toad, an infant at his feet. He felt remorse at having to kill such a courageous and honorable man, but a deal was a deal./

/Power cursed through him, his power, after so long. How dare that ichibi threaten his host, and therefore he himself? The badger would pay for his arrogance./

/A red-head boy stared at him in disbelief, a trail of blood running down from a cut on his forehead. There were dark circles around his eyes, circles that had been there for a long time./

/A group of children his age faced away from him, watching a dark haired boy throw shinai at marks painted on a tree. Each of the five hit their targets. They boy straightened up without expression, but the dark eyes that strayed to him called challenge./

/The same boy stood between him and the flying needles. His heart cried out as his friend fell, having sacrificed himself./

/He laid face up on the ground. The falling rain didn’t bother him as he watched the boy hover over him, tears flowing freely over his face as he tried to stop his chest from bleeding. His lips moved, but he couldn’t hear what was said./

Duo forcibly tore himself from the visions, knicking himself on the blade. Cursing, he threw it as far away from himself as he could, not paying any attention at all to where it flew.

His vision began to get hazy, and he stumbled back until he hit a tree, slumping against it. There was pain, intense pain, as though he was being stretched. His skin felt prickly as power rushed through him. Getting struck by lightning would have been mild in comparison. Duo gave up fighting for consciousness and allowed darkness to overwhelm him. Damn it, Une. After this, I am so going to haunt your ass.

-

Inuzuka Kiba stood up and stretched with a wide yawn. Having been training all day with Akamaru, he’d laid down on a tree branch to watch some of the new genins go through the traditional torture of chasing down the cat of the fire lord’s wife. After they’d left the woods, furious feline in arms, he’d drifted off to sleep.

Down on the ground, Akamaru jumped to his feet, hose in the air. Before he could ask what was wrong, the nin-dog had dashed into the trees. Immediately, Kiba was leaping after him. When the canine stopped, it was so sudden that Kiba almost overshot his partner, barely stopping in time to drop down next to him.

“What is it?” he asked, frowning as Akamaru began barking up a tree. He followed the dog’s gaze up to where a kunai was imbedded about ten feet up. Walking up the tree, he pulled it free, automatically catching sight of the blood at the back of the blade. Maybe it belonged to the genins? Though why they’d be using a kunai when they weren’t allowed to kill the cat... His nose caught a familiar scent and brown eyes widened. “It can’t be... Naruto?”

The forest was empty within moments.