Gundam Wing Fan Fiction / Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Specters ❯ Chapter 7 ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

~ Okay, so it's been a very, very, very long time. Ehehehe, yeah, over a year… I know, I'm horrible. But, life has a way of sidetracking you. I wish I'd had the time to update the last year, but I didn't, and for that I'm greatly sorry. This new chapter may not be my best, but I'm getting back into the groove. Anyway, I hope anyone that's still following this enjoys. Happy reading!

Disclaimer: Me no own. (At least I can still write a disclaimer -_-;)

Specters

Chapter 7

By: Penybright

Relena couldn't help the mild glare she sent the woman's way before scrambling to Heero's side. She gently shifted him to lie on his back, cradling his head in her lap. Shakily brushing his bangs back, she felt his forehead. His skin was alarmingly clammy, and yet his forehead was hot to the touch. Relena knew he needed help quickly. She'd never seen a fever this bad, if a fever was all it was.

A soft gasp escaped her as she felt Heero lean into her touch, almost nuzzling against her hand. A trail of breathy murmurs escaped his pale lips, but she couldn't discern what he'd said. He looked so helpless and childlike in that moment, that she wanted to weep for him. But now was not the time to break down. He needed help, and she was the only one who could get him any.

Composing herself, Relena looked up. Aquamarine clashed with jade, neither backing down. Relena's lips tightened to a thin line before she spoke in a clear, decisive voice.

"I don't know who you are, but this man needs help. We came here because we were told someone here could help him. Are you going to help?"

Those cool jade eyes sent shivers down Relena's spine, and the emotionless way in which the woman spoke did little to ease her growing sense of despair. Quickly, she checked Heero's pulse. It was there, faint but steady. Looking up, she found the woman still standing there, her face smooth; expression unruffled.

"Please, Heero needs help... He needs medical attention now."

The woman blinked.

"Very well," she nodded as one of the guards from the main gate came over, carefully lifting Heero over his shoulder. "This way. I'll help you, but once your friend has recovered, I will expect answers."

The woman made a small motion with her hand, giving the guard hushed orders before giving Relena a pointed stare and fading into the ornate shrubbery.

*****

The moment he felt his knees buckle, Heero's mind pulled him deep into his subconscious. He had the sensation of endlessly falling through a black nothingness. He seemed to fall on and on into eternity, until a speck of white shattered the darkness. The speck multiplied and grew, raining down in a soft cadence. Downy feathers caressed his body as the sensation of falling slowly faded away.

The feathers began to rain down harder until they formed a sheet of white. The white faded to gray, and then color began to seep in from the edges. Slowly, a picture began to form. It was an unfamiliar place, somewhere he'd never been before. A great misted valley stretched before him, dark, ancient rolling hills as far as the eye could see. Thick tendrils of mist swirled lazily, seeming to have a mind of their own. A great hush fell on the misty valley, a silence it seemed no one would ever dare to penetrate.

Heero took one step forward and instantly regretted it. Everything twisted into a dizzying spiral before lurching to an abrupt halt. The once quiet valley no longer held it's silence. The clash of steel upon steel rang throughout the deep banks. Heero's eyes were instantly drawn to an ivory mecha with a long cape. He didn't know why but...

In a flash he was standing below the dueling giants, the earth shuddering beneath him. Before he could react the ivory mecha faltered, it's opponent felling it swiftly and without remorse. His head snapped to the side as he heard an all too familiar voice crying his name... but, she wasn't looking at him. She was looking at the mecha. Heero gasped as the scenery changed around him again. A choked groan escaped him as he looked down to find himself in the cockpit of the mecha, the edge of the opponents sword embedded securely in his side. Blood gushed freely, flowing from him as surely as his life fled from his body. Everything began to grow cold and dark, the black nothingness closing in around him once more; suffocating...

The healer jumped in surprise as Heero's eyes snapped open. He quickly sat up, gasping and clutching his side. Harsh gasps escaped him, the man's eyes widened in alarm and he saw blood slowly blossoming on his patient's shirt. He turned to call for his assistant, but the exclamation died on his lips. Heero slumped forward, roughly grabbing a hold of his shoulders.

"Help me…"

He could tell the young man was beyond confused. His eyes were glassy, and his pallor had yet to improve. A violent shudder worked its way through his body, leaving him listless. He sank back to the bed, his eyes drifting shut.

"Not again... not... the darkness..." he murmured, his face pulling into a wince as fresh blood seeped through his shirt.

~Yes, the classic cliffhanger, but… no year long wait this time! So, what do you think?