Gundam Wing Fan Fiction / Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Specters ❯ Chapter 9 ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

~ Again, a long stretch of nothing before an update. I'm sorry. *ducks as rocks are thrown at her* At least I didn't abandon it, right? *glares are sent her way* Right, well… I think I'll go work on the next chapter. *glaring continues* Jeeze, rough crowd. *runs away*

Disclaimer: Escaflowne and it's characters do not belong to me. Gundam Wing and it's characters do not belong to me. Everything else is mine, all mine :-P

Specters

Chapter 9

By: Penybright

A blurry face came into view, it's features distinct and familiar. Unruly hair and piercing eyes…

"Heero?"

The face became clearer, it's expression one of shock; thick black framing dark amber eyes.

"I'm afraid you have me confused with the young man over there," Van replied cautiously. His brow furrowed as he turned to look at the young man lying prone on the bed. "If you're up to it, would you tell me a bit about yourselves, and how you came to be here?"

Relena slowly sat up, the information she had pieced together earlier seeping slowly back to her.

"Your Highness…"

"Just call me Van, please. I'm not much for formalities."

Relena nodded, trying to figure out where to begin. Somehow, she had to break the news to the King. Even being in the political arena for so long had in no way prepared her for breaking this kind of news. Where could she begin? And how?

"I'm not really sure how we came to this place. One minute we were at a party, there was an attack… and then we were here. Heero was hurt, and I needed to find help. There was this… woman, Merle---"

"Merle? Are you sure?"

"…Yes. She told us to come to you when Heero…" Relena bit her lip, not sure how the man would react to her next statement. It did seem pretty ludicrous; a man sprouting wings.

"You see, that young man over there, Heero, he's.. Well, you see, I know him, but I'm afraid I don't know terribly much about him; about his past anyway. And, neither does he. That amulet was found on him as a baby, and I feel that it has something to do with why we're here. We came to you for help because Heero… has wings." Relena took in a deep breath, expecting a reaction wholly different than what she received. She was expecting disbelief, maybe even anger, but certainly not surprise.

"Wings you say? Are you sure?"

"Yes, he's been in so much pain, and---"

"What color are they?"

Relena found the question odd. Wings could be more than one color? Were there a race of people running around on this strange planet with wings…?

"Black. Well, mostly black. The tips are white." Relena watched the surprise fade away quickly, replaced with genuine concern.

"I'm not sure I can help him, but I'll try. Black wings are a sign of death. But you said the tips were white?" Relena nodded. "I've never encountered such a thing. There may be hope for this young man yet. I'll have to speak with him when he regains consciousness, and then I'll see what I can do."

"Thank you…"

"It's all right. Why don't you get some rest. It seems as though your friend and you have been through quite an ordeal. Gaea can be a dangerous place to those not accustomed to it's perils."

"There's just one more thing. I… don't know how to tell you this. Honestly, I was rather doubtful, at first, myself. However, I have reason to believe that… Heero is your son."

The kind brown eyes suddenly darkened several shades, becoming stormy as Van's jaw clenched tightly.

"How dare you…" His statement was cut short by a loud commotion down the hall. The anger drained from his face as fear predominated. "Hitomi!" The king sprinted from his seat before Relena could even process what was going on.

**********

Van raced down the corridor, panic gripping him. If anything happened to her… She was all he had left. His son had been taken from him so soon, and his friend Merle had left, unable to bear the sadness of watching him in his misery at the loss. The king slid to a stop before a circle of servants. They quickly parted for him, revealing his wife as he hadn't seen her in a long time. He quickly scooped her up without a word and headed for their chambers. Once behind closed doors, Van spoke.

"Hitomi…?"

"I'll be all right, dear," Hitomi assured as he placed her on their bed. "It's just been so long, that it hit me hard and sudden."

"Then…"

"Yes, it was a vision. I had hopped that they would never return. It seems I'm not so lucky."

"Are you sure you're all right?" he asked in concern, his eyes skimming over her pale and somewhat fevered features.

"Van, the boy…"

"I know. I don't know how, but he's a draconian. How my race could exist on another world, I have no idea."

"Van… He's more than that."

"What do you mean?"

"Can't you see? He's a draconian, the pendant, the similar features…"

"Then, what the girl said.." Hitomi nodded. "Fate has decided to return our son to us. But instead of gracing us with a gift, they've graced us with a curse."

"Hitomi, I don't understand…"

"War is coming to Gaea once more, Van. And our son, who was lost and now returned to us… he will pilot Escaflowne in battle!"