Gundam Wing Fan Fiction / Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Specters ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
~ I felt bad about the prologue being so short, that I typed this up. Chapter one... I guess it's all kind of predictable right now... *sigh* I'm sure I'll throw in a twist eventually.

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for the characters. Any legal matters should be taken up with their owners ( which means someone besides me).

Specters

Chapter 1

By: Penybright

Heero shifted, surveying his surroundings. He looked to the watch on his wrist, checking the time. It was 6 p.m., exactly. He glanced around the foyer again, letting out a sigh. Relena was going to keep him waiting. Figuring she would be a while longer, Heero reached into the right pocket of his tuxedo jacket. He pulled out a small, sparkling object, holding it delicately in his palm. He treated the article as if it were extremely breakable or important.

Relena quietly descended the stairs, seeing Heero intently studying something in his hand. She crept forward, curious as to what was holding his attention so closely. Peering over his shoulder, she saw a shimmering pink gem attached to a gold chain.

"Heero."

Heero quickly closed his hand, shoving the pendant back into his pocket. Relena looked at him strangely.

"You mind telling me what that was all about?" she asked.

Heero paused, contemplating whether or not to tell her. If he couldn't trust her, then who could he trust? Relena was one of the few people that had always believed in him.

"I received a package in the mail today. It was from Doctor J. This was in it, along with a letter," Heero explained, pulling the necklace out from his pocket once more. "Apparently, it was found on me by the people that discovered me, alone in an alley all those years ago..."

"I bet it belonged to your mother," Relena whispered, gently picking the pendant up by it's glittering chain.

"You should wear it," Relena declared, stepping up to Heero. Heero pulled back from her.

"I don't think..."

"Wear it Heero. I'm sure your mother would want you to."

The stoic young man relented, allowing Relena to clasp the necklace around his neck and adjust it.

"It looks wonderful on you," she giggled. Heero frowned at the smiling blond. After her giggle fit, Relena became serious once more.

"Okay, down to business. Hand over the gun," she said, holding out her hand, palm up. Heero blinked, looking blankly at her.

"Heero," she warned, tapping her foot. "You are not escorting me to this party as a guard. You are a guest, and guests do not carry loaded weapons into parties."

Reluctantly, very reluctantly, Heero reached into his tuxedo jacket, pulling out the aforementioned weapon.

"Try to relax... just a little?" Relena implored. Heero shrugged and tugged on his jacket.

"How do expect anyone to relax in one of these? It's like a straight-jacket," Heero deadpanned.

"No one ever said looking formal was comfortable. Speaking of which..." Relena pulled a small black strip of cloth from seemingly nowhere.

"Thought you could get away without a bow-tie, did you?"

"You don't seriously expect me to wear one of those?"

"The dress code is formal. You are wearing a bow-tie," Relena said firmly, stepping up to Heero. Reaching up, she buttoned the top button of his crisp white tuxedo shirt. She then tucked the tie under his shirt collar, tying the bow in a matter of seconds.

"Now you know why I asked you to come so early," Relena explained, giving a meaningful glance at the clock. Heero glanced at his watch to discover that it read 6:37 p.m.

"Shall we go?" Relena asked, linking her arm through Heero's. Heero grimaced, tugging at his collar.

"Did she have to tie it so tight?" he mumbled under his breath as they walked to the waiting limo outside.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Festive Christmas music floated on the air, mingling with the soft chatter of the guests. The occasional flash would go off as a new guest arrived, signaling the presence of the media. As Heero and Relena entered through the large oak doors, it was like strobe lighting. Flashes went off like a light storm, capturing the entrance of the Vice Foreign Minister, not to mention, her darkly mysterious escort. Relena smiled for the cameras, turning on the charm. Once she "ran the gauntlet", Relena let her smile disappear. Letting out a soft sigh, wiped a hand over her eyes, trying to clear them of the dancing spots.

"I think I need to sit down," Relena informed Heero. He immediately steered her towards the tables set up on the left side of the vast room.

Once all the guests of importance had arrived, dinner was served. After dinner, there was the obligatory speech by the host. Heero spent most of his time studying the decorations during the long and rather dry speech. Garlands of evergreen were strung along the walls, accented by large red bows. Strings of multicolored Christmas lights hung from the ceiling in an intricate pattern. A large and ornately decorated tree was situated behind the stage the orchestra was on. Various other red bows in varying size ornamented the room.

Heero was so bored, he even began to study the gown Relena was wearing. The dress was a deep forest green. The gown hung off the shoulders flowing down to a tight fitting bodice then flaring out at the waist. The material was a soft velvet material that shimmered in the dim lighting.

Heero's conscious finally kicked in, and he realized what he was doing. He immediately turned his attention elsewhere, hoping no one had noticed his little slip. He certainly hopped Relena hadn't noticed. He'd never hear the end of it if she did...

Finally the speech was over, and everyone was free to mingle and dance. Mingling was something Heero never participated in... except when Relena forcefully dragged him around the room to meet various acquaintances and friends. Of course she did most of the talking. Heero only seemed to scare people off.

"Stop glaring so much," Relena hissed under her breath as a couple skirted wide of the two. Heero blinked, not even aware that he was glaring. The rest of the evening went smoothly, Heero rescuing Relena from stuffy diplomats by sweeping her off to the dance floor. In return, Relena remained by Heero's side to ward off the rather overeager single women. The evening was coming to a close as the hours stretched by.

Heero and Relena were seated at their table, taking a breather after several rounds of dancing. After catching their breath, the two stood up. As they were heading back to the dance floor, chaos erupted. The large doors burst open, armed soldiers pouring in through the doors. Shots were fired, and screams of terror filled the room. Heero reacted quickly, pulling Relena with him as several shots whizzed their way. Heero shoved Relena behind a large marble pillar before diving behind after her. As Heero picked himself up, Relena gasped.

"You're bleeding!"

"It's just a scratch," Heero assured her, inspecting the wound before turning his attention back to the terrorists.

"Hand over Vice Foreign Minister Dorlain, and no one will get hurt," one of the armed men shouted.

Heero turned his gaze back on Relena, studying her worried face. He knew that she'd willingly give herself up if they started threatening innocents. In that moment, he fervently wished that he could take her away from all this. She was constantly hounded by the media and harassed by terrorists and assassins. She deserved to be taken away to somewhere she could have peace. He just wished he knew where that was.

Heero took a step away from the pillar and froze. Beams of light shot up from the floor, surrounding Relena and him. The thin beams merged to form a column of light. Relena gasped as she was lifted into the air with Heero.

"Heero, what's going on?" Relena asked, near panicking. Heero remained silent because he had no answer.

The brilliant light drew the attention of the terrorists. A large group of them migrated over to the area. When they saw who was in the luminescent cylinder of light, several took aim. Heero saw them and pulled Relena against him, shielding her with his body. Several shots were fired, and Relena felt Heero stiffen as a bullet pierced his flesh. Then everything exploded in dizzying colors of blinding light that faded into darkness.

~ Wow, one chapter finished, who knows how many more to go. Guess where they're going? The question is, though, will they survive, and will they even end up meeting Hitomi and Van?