Gundam Wing Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ G-men ❯ Death and Rebirth ( Chapter 38 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Author's Notes: My Hilde is a spunky girl, very similar to Duo in her good nature and willingness to fight her own battles. I'm not making a DuoxHilde pairing, but I do think they'd get along very well, practically siblings. I'm actually thinking of a DorothyxHilde pairing for the sequel (not explicit - I don't do explicit yuri, just shoujo ai). So no worries about her ruining the 1x2, she's Duo's sister-character (like Wufei and Duo), not a rival for Heero.
Someone mentioned that Kuwabara's eyes are brown in YYH. Actually, he doesn't have a color, he just has little round dark brownish black dots in his eyes, no separation between the irises and the pupils. Since I'm writing this fic as if the anime characters were real people, I gave him irises to go with his pupils. And I think they'd be blue (since Kurama has green eyes, Hiei has red eyes, Yukina has pinkish-red eyes, and Yusuke has brown eyes - so giving Kuwa blue eyes makes him different). Just a dash of author's perogative to give a touch of realism to dear pupil-eyed Kuwabara. ;p
Vague fusion with the original X-men animated series.
This Part: Featured characters include Zechs, Kurama, Duo, Wufei, Jin, and Yusuke.
Category: Yaoi, Anime, Gundam Wing, Yu Yu Hakusho
Warnings: short part, violence, angst, shonen ai
Pairings: 1x2, 3x4, will be 6x5, KuramaxHiei, YusukexJinxTouya
Author: Arigatomina
Email: arigatoumina (a) hotmail . com
Website: www . geocities . com / arigatomina

Gmen

Part 38: Death and Rebirth

They hid the plane, Jin proving very useful in the way he blew the neighboring trees and brush all over the thing. He swore it wasn't damaged and that he'd be able to clear it again once they were finished. Kurama had disabled the heat trigger in Duo's cell, so they now had precisely forty-six minutes to get him out before OZ's sensors would register the change.

With the layout of the base, they knew where Duo was located, and they had an idea where Hiei was. There were a number of cells in the interior of the base, but two had more reinforcements than the others. It was likely that Hiei would be placed in the second one. The areas were not far from each other, both on the south side of the base. That was where they waged their attack.

Zechs and Trowa scouted ahead and found quite a bit of movement in the yards, definitely preparation for their arrival. Quatre hung back. He was keeping a strict damper on his abilities, storing up whatever energy he could. It wouldn't be safe for him to stay in the plane any more than it would have been to leave him at the school. And as little as he'd used of his telepathy, he was sure he'd be of some help if the rogue showed himself. This time he'd control the mutant or knock himself out trying.

They walked in a small cluster, letting the telepaths lead the way a few yards ahead of them as they broke the forest. They weren't sneaking in, and they weren't rushing. They were making an open attack and God help any soldier who tried to stop them.

The moment they were within sight of the base - a stark series of lowlevel gray buildings circled by a dirt yard that was spotted with vehicles, and a large hanger just visible on the other side of the complex - soldiers began pouring out of the doors, others taking shots from behind the vehicles they'd been using as cover. They'd definitely been expecting them.

Trowa was the first to react. He concentrated entirely on protecting his friends from the bullets, and dropped his guard. It wasn't true control since he couldn't think clearly enough to make an offensive move, but he had set himself up to play the defense.

That bright glittering green energy of his billowed around him as he set to flying between those bullets and the small cluster of mutants behind him. His only thought was to keep them from getting through, specifically, to keep them from harming Quatre. And with his energy barrier, he was perfect for the job.

Quatre ducked back the moment Trowa unleashed his energy. For the moment he was no more useful on this battleground than Zechs was, and the two of them eased behind their friends. Until they could help, they wouldn't hinder the attack by getting in the way. Zechs was keeping a close telepathic watch on Duo, and Quatre was focusing entirely on his filter against Trowa. Once it was set in place, he turned his attention to watch for the rogue. That mutant could wreck havoc on them if he caught them off guard.

Though he'd come late to the little group, Jin was more than happy to act as a team player. He floated off to the side of the group so Trowa would have one fewer people to protect. And he set up a blistering wind between himself and the men firing on him. Bullets were actually very small pebbles when it came down to it, and his winds could move boulders. Needless to say, he wasn't afraid of being shot. A wild, almost maniacal grin spread over his face as he blew small clusters of soldiers away, cracking some against each other and leaving them to land in the rising dust.

Yusuke had taken point opposite Jin, also to keep Trowa from having to protect him. He didn't exactly have a good protection against bullets, but he wasn't helpless, either. He had a group attack, after all.

Bright white light lit around him and he clenched his fists, pinpointing the biggest groups - namely the soldiers hiding behind the largest vehicles. He unleashed his aforementioned shadow boxing attack, a series of white blasts that knocked the tank away and sent the men flying back so hard that a few crashed through the wall of the base behind them.

The vehicles were clear conductors, and Wufei was occupied with electrocuting anyone who dared to try and use one against them. A few of the machines looked like some advanced sort of weaponry he didn't recognize, but they couldn't fire when their operators were writhing from a lightning strike. Now wasn't the time to try and curve his lightning attacks, it was a slaughter, pure and simple.

And slaughter it was, the moment Kurama moved forward. His golden eyes had shifted around, taking in each of the mutants and their targets. Jin and Yusuke were going mostly after groups, Wufei was focusing his talents on the weapons, and Trowa was acting as a physical shield to the four mutants behind him. That left a lot of soldiers crouched and firing, spread out in various places around the yard.

Kurama gave a sweeping look over them. Then he stepped forward and ruddy red energy lit up around him, sweeping his white-streaked red hair into waves.

Wufei sent him a startled look, and Kurama crouched down to press his palms flat against the ground. There was a light tremor beneath them, just enough to make Yusuke glance back as well. Then thick blades of grass stabbed up in the yard, impaling soldiers left and right, some splitting open to tear the men apart from the inside.

In a matter of minutes the yard was a smoky haze of bodies and body parts. Kurama's plant skewers fell limp to the ground, the bodies falling to lie in muddy pools of blood. And the base looked like a ghost facility, the walls marked here and there by Yusuke's attacks, doors blown off, and blood and dust splattered up to mar the dark gray metal.

It was stunning how quickly they'd massacred a hundred or more men, without taking a single injury themselves. But it was necessary. They'd teach OZ the dangers of taking one of their own.

Trowa's energy flickered wildly for a moment before cooling. He floated down to the ground just as Jin did, Yusuke moving back to the group. They were ready to advance, all aware that the rogue - the only real opposition they'd have here - had yet to show himself.

One of those skewed doors fell in a muffled rise of dust, making them jump a bit in surprise. Trowa immediately ducked in front of the group, ready to take up the defense again. The doorway remained dark and shadowed, only that dust drifting from where the metal door had fallen.

A dark figure moved from the shadows there, stepping out into the morning light. And Kurama stumbled, helpless tears filling his eyes.

"Hiei..."

Zechs flinched, his gaze locked on the only eye the boy had open. Hiei was glowing a dark purplish black, but his eyes were closed, his jagan a bright green spark in the middle of a blood-covered face. Even from yards away, he could see the dull glint in the cut that lined the side of the boy's head. He couldn't be alive, shouldn't have been alive...

Yusuke took a stilted step toward his friend, knowing Kurama was in no condition to move. And Hiei disappeared in a swirl of black flame to reappear in front of Zechs.

Searing heat cut into him, and his blood boiled up into his mouth. Zechs let out a soft, choking gasp, his hands clutching at Hiei's bloody shoulders. He marveled at the absolute silence coming from the boy in front of him as his vision turned black. Then he fell.

The dark flaming sword disappeared the moment the two mutants collapsed, their blood mingling beneath them. Kurama fell to his knees a foot away and let out a low keening cry.

Quatre reeled away, his hands clenched over his heart at the backlash of emotion, absolute devastation. He barely heard Trowa's soft words when the boy knelt and felt for a pulse, pronouncing them dead. All he could feel was the impossible well of hatred and agony radiating off Kurama, so much worse than even Trowa's repressed emotions. One person couldn't feel that much horror and stay sane.

A biting, ripping explosion struck the small group and they scattered instinctively, Trowa returning to his offensive pose, and Quatre tearing his mind away from that maw of darkness to focus it on the rogue.

Wufei, Yusuke, and Jin exchanged one quick look and placed themselves around their fallen comrades. Kurama remained motionless, blood dripping from the scrape on his cheek, his eyes a blank blackish green shade. He didn't seem aware of anything, not even the explosions that played around him.

- - -

The attack was felt as far inside the base as Duo's cell, vague tremors echoing through the steel. He and Hilde were on their feet when the first soldier entered, ready to teleport or die trying.

Duo darted forward in time to knock the man's gun aside. He knew it had to be his friends staging a rescue, and wasn't about to be assassinated before they could get in. More soldiers entered the room after the first, and he found himself engaged in an all out brawl. His attention was on not getting shot, but some startled bit of him noted that Hilde hit pretty hard for a girl.

It wasn't until the first shot was fired that he realized what was going on. The soldiers were using darts, not bullets. They weren't trying to kill them, they were trying to keep them from escaping and possibly aiding their friends.

A sharp cry sounded seconds before Hilde was knocked into him, and Duo caught her around the waist. His first thought was that she'd been struck with one of the darts, but she struggled to get out of his hold, a furious gleam in her eyes. He let her go, one brief appreciative grin at the way she launched herself at her attacker. Then he turned right into a spray of blood that speckled his face.

There was no pain, but Duo jerked back, his eyes dropping to see where he'd been hit. He didn't understand until the man in front of him collapsed with a gurgling sound. Hilde gasped near him, and he turned to see the rest of the soldiers fall like puppets who'd had their strings cut.

"Duo..."

Something twisted in him, a clenching pain in his throat. And Duo swallowed it, his eyes wide and almost too blurred to see the boy who'd appeared in front of him in a flash of speed too fast for him to follow. "Heero...?"

"Can you walk?" asked Heero, his voice soft. "And you?"

He turned his head, dull dark blue eyes moving to the girl who stood back from them. She was watching with wide, wary eyes, the bruises making her face look as beaten as Duo. When she didn't answer, he turned back to pull Duo's arm over his shoulders.

"We have to move now," he said quietly. "Someone disabled the sensors, but the soldiers have orders to kill any mutants they see outside of the cells."

He sent another, almost sluggish look at the girl. "Stay close."

Duo gulped again, unable to help the tears that spilled over his eyes. "Heero, what are you doing here?"

A startled, almost wary look flashed over Heero's pale face, and he turned to stare at Duo. "I'm helping you... Did you think I wouldn't come as soon as I heard you were captured? I would have been here within a few hours, but..."

He shook his head, hitching Duo closer to his side and starting toward the door. "We have to hurry."

"I can walk," Duo protested. "I'm just a little shaky, that's all. Hilde-"

He blinked and turned wide eyes on the girl, surprised to see that she hadn't moved from her place in the center of the cell. "Hilde! Come on. Heero's a friend."

Hilde almost raised an eyebrow at that, since it was clear to her he was more than just a friend. But she nodded quickly and joined them near the open door.

They were about to cross through when the entire building shook around them like nothing so much as an earthquake.

- - -

The dark rogue mutant was toying with them, a display of speed and darting explosions that sent Jin into a spatter of strange words mixed with more familiar curses. He was determined to help Yusuke protect his friends, even if two of them looked pretty dead. But standing back and letting that mutant play with them...it killed what little patience the wind master had.

And it was very clear who the rogue was targeting, the bodies, and Kurama. Luckily between Trowa's energy shield and Jin's ability to blow away just about anything - including invisible clouds of combustible particles - they'd kept the three from being hit by more than light, glancing explosions. It was wearing them thin, particularly the defenders. Quatre was just coming into his own power.

He'd realized after a few minutes of trying to control the rogue, that it wasn't his powers that were failing. There was something different about the mutant, something in his black mind that did more than just resist being controlled. It was as if the man knew how to take hold of his controlling mind and twist it to his own advantage. And he'd had an epiphany as to why.

The man was a controller, only he did it on a molecular level, something so precise he was almost...wired to resist being controlled himself.

Quatre couldn't control him, but he could distract him. Each of his assaults on the rogue's mind ended with a slight disorientation for the mutant. That gave Yusuke a chance to make his own quick attacks, since he was the fastest one among them now that Kurama was unresponsive.

Whatever his friends thought, Kurama wasn't as unaware as he appeared. He knew they were under attack, and some part of him was waiting for the inevitable failure of their defense. When that happened, he'd take things into his own hands, one final tap of his power that would leave nothing of the mutant who'd taken his life from him. For now, he couldn't move. He was waiting to see where Hiei went...

'There has to be something...I know there has to be. I don't understand it, but I know. He's still there. Trapped...? I can't follow if he doesn't go on... Did you follow me like this, Hiei? Could you see where I went? I'm older than you...two years or more... Will it take me that long to know where you went? Did you look so long...alone...? I won't leave you alone, baby, I promise I won't. Just...let me see where you go...! Spirit...youko...I can follow, I can. I don't care if I have to start over again, I swear I don't, just... Why are you still here...?'

A dim light flickered over the two, highlighting Hiei's bloody face where it had fallen close to Zechs' neck. The energy reflected off Kurama's glassy eyes, red and gold, warm and inviting. Color swam back to his gaze, but he knew it wasn't Hiei, not that pale blue of-

'Koorime, darling...precious darling, so darkened by your suffering, but it never touched you, the true you... Is this what's holding you here...?'

The golden red light flickered higher, swelling up and flowing outward. Kurama reeled back as it struck him like a warm, tantalizing wave that left him stunned. He couldn't blink or breathe, but he felt as if he were being bathed in comfort where nothing in the world mattered.

The others turned at the blossoming well of energy only to be stunned on contact. Even the rogue was struck numb, his arms outstretched as if time stood still.

- - -

A tremor shook the building around them, and Heero pulled Duo and the girl away from the door, just as a thick light swamped over them. The walls burned in a blinding reddish flame that flickered over them, warm and inviting, but somehow terrifying at the same time. And a shower of ash fell on their heads so that they would have cowered if they hadn't been frozen by that flowing energy.

An eternity might have passed before the haze cleared, clouds of dust and ash sparkling in the bright sunlight. The building was no more than layers of ash around them, and they could see soldiers and men standing, sitting, staring from the ruins with as much confusion and shock as they felt. And they could see their friends across the way, blurry in the wake.

The energy, floating like a flood over an island, hovered. It flickered and solidified into a giant shape that stretched out across the sky, wide fiery wings spread to blot out the sun. Then it screamed and almost every living being on the yard cowered, holding their ears to block out the sound.

Yusuke gasped, his paralysis breaking as if that sound had shattered it around him. He stared up at the flaming creature, a bird as large as a mountain, and he felt himself shivering at a sudden urge to get closer. It was hovering, burning in the air above Kurama, above the bodies. And he couldn't for the life of him understand why his friends were holding their ears, when the sound was so invigorating.

The energy exploded outwards, blinding everyone who'd dared to peak up at it and knocking Kurama back so that he lay senseless in the dust. Yusuke threw his hands up to protect his eyes, his ears ringing in the silence that followed.

Panic struck a few minutes later.

The humans, soldiers but still just human, turned and ran like so many infidels before a wrathful God. Their confusion sent them stumbling and clawing through piles of ash as they made their way out of the ruins of the complex, a wild escape into the forest that loomed in the distance. Two mutants followed, sending wary and stunned looks at the glowing pair before turning to disappear into the mob of humans fleeing the place.

Heero prodded the boy on his arm, urging Duo and Hilde out of the ash and toward the spot where their friends had stood. They moved like refugees from a storm, supporting each other and stumbling through the almost liquid debris. And they found the others huddled mere feet from where the bird had been, crouched near Kurama's prone form.

Zechs was standing across from them, his expression blank, but his eyes glowing with that same red fire. Hiei was cradled in his arms, so small he looked more like a child than he ever had.

He moved toward them with slow, almost tentative steps. They held their place, watching him with varying degrees of relief, confusion, wary suspicion, and disbelief. There wasn't any emotion in his glowing eyes, but he opened his mouth when he reached them, his lips forming words that couldn't be heard. Heero read them clearly and relaxed his protective hold on Duo.

Wufei and Yusuke were closest to Kurama, but they didn't interfere when Zechs crouched in front of them, one pale hand reaching out to touch the redhead's cheek. Kurama twitched, as if a shock ran through him.

'He didn't leave without you...don't leave without him.'

Dazed green eyes blinked themselves clear enough to make out the man crouched in front of them. And Kurama's gaze locked on Hiei's hidden face, his arms moving out to accept the body. A hand caught his instead, pressing something cold into his palm and curling his fingers closed around it. Only then did Zechs give Hiei to him.

A soft sigh was breathed against his neck, that warm body curling closer to him, and Kurama whimpered. He wasn't aware of shifting to his silver fox form, or of the people around him. He simply curled his arms tight around Hiei and cried into the boy's dark hair. Warm, soft, alive.

The energy flickered in Zechs' eyes and he let out a shaky breath, turning to look at the ash where the building had stood. He pushed upwards, trying to climb to his feet, and a shoulder placed itself under his arm.

The man looked like he was going to collapse, and Wufei sent a pleading glance to Yusuke. The boy quickly took Zechs' other arm, to lend the taller man support.

"Easy," said Wufei, his voice faint.

Zechs shook his head, the energy in his eyes flickering like a dying flame and giving glimpses of the usual pale blue irises. "Ice..."

Confusion pulled Wufei's face, but Trowa stiffened in understanding. He moved from where he'd been crouched behind Quatre.

"He's there," said Trowa, gesturing to a spot in the ashes. "Unconscious, but alive and-"

He blinked sharply and turned wide eyes on Jin. The redhaired mutant was still crouched where he'd fallen, his expression stunned and confused. He tilted his head to the side when he noticed the way Trowa was staring at him.

"What?" asked Jin. "Why are you looking at me?"

"You didn't tell us you were looking for someone," Trowa started. "It wasn't even on your mind when you-"

Zechs pulled away from the boys supporting him and crossed to the ashes, wading into them like a sleepwalker. He stumbled and fell, the ashes billowing a bit before turning into a cloudy haze that dusted his white hair. Trowa flew to him, pulling off his jacket and bundling it to keep the ashes from coating it. A minute of light brushing and they'd found the ice user, still lying where he'd collapsed earlier.

"Overextended himself," Trowa said, pushing Zechs' hands away. "There's nothing to heal."

Zechs drew in a shallow breath, his eyes fading to their normal pale blue shade. "He saved Hiei's life...didn't end it..."

The whitehaired man took one more shuddering breath and sagged backwards into the ashes. Trowa winced at the cloud that rose over them, and sent another look at Jin.

"Your friend's alive," Trowa said sharply. "Touya."

Jin let out a little sound and was abruptly hovering over them in a whirl of wind that cleared every last bit of ash away from the spot. He nearly knocked Trowa over when he caught sight of the blue-haired boy they'd uncovered.

"Touya! Wake up, To-ya!"

"Not...To-ya..."

Trowa moved aside, still giving the redhead a strange look. He'd done a light reading of Jin when the boy had joined their group, but he hadn't seen anything about a friend of his having been taken captive. It made him wonder if the boy had some sort of block on his thoughts. Unless he'd thought his friend dead...

Wufei and Quatre joined them, helping to wipe the ash away from Zechs face, and sending startled looks at Jin. The redhead was babbling on to a dazed looking boy with pale blue hair, who was somewhat covered in gray ash.

"And you're all dirty," Jin was saying, his blue eyes wide and disapproving. "But you're alive, and it'll wash right off. I didn't think you were still alive, you know. I should have known you'd be okay, you're a survivor, the best I know. It's just that I looked for months and I didn't see any mutants, so I thought he'd killed you. I was going to get him for you, though, To-ya! I chased him all over the place, and I had him this time. But then that fire bird burnt everything and he ran off. Did you see that? Wasn't it the strangest thing you've seen since Naruto foxed-out on us? You're awfully quiet, To-ya, aren't you glad to see me? Wait till you meet the new friends I made. I bet you'll like Yusuke, he's really cute and fun. Not as pretty as you, To-ya, but that's what-"

"Breathe, Jin," the boy said, pushing himself out of that tight hug. "And don't call me To-ya. It's Touya."

"Hai!" Jin grinned, jerking the smaller boy back into a hug. "I'm just really happy to see you, Touya. Aren't you happy to see me? You don't even look surprised."

"You promised you wouldn't follow," Touya said quietly, blinking dazed eyes on the group of teenagers a few feet from him. "You were supposed to stay safe."

"Ah," Jin nodded, "but you didn't really believe me, did you? Of course I followed. Don't you know me at all?"

The boy was giving him a wide-eyed pout. Touya sighed and stopped fighting the smothering embrace. He merely watched the strangers who were currently sneaking covert looks at them. And his gaze locked on a pair of people who were crouched a few yards from them.

"The fire user," Touya said sharply, his eyes widening. "And the fox...? Did he live? I don't remember what happened after I cut him loose..."

"Hm?"

Jin blinked and glanced over to where Kurama was still holding Hiei, seemingly content to stay there indefinitely. Then he grinned at Yusuke, who'd come over to stand near Zechs and Wufei.

"Yusuke," Jin called, "is the little guy a fire user? He's okay, isn't he? And come meet Touya!"

Trowa was lifting Zechs in preparation to take the man to the plane, but he glanced at Yusuke when the boy stepped away from them.

"Tell them to join us if they want," said Trowa. "We can't stay here long."

Yusuke gave a quick nod and went over to Jin, a wry smirk twisting his lips when he saw the way the redhead's pointed ears were twitching. His pale-haired friend was looking up at him with a droll, almost resigned expression.

"Nice to meet you," said Yusuke. "We're heading out now, so if you guys want to tag along, you're welcome to."

"Sure," Jin grinned. "Come on, Touya. You okay to walk? I can carry you if-"

"I'm fine," Touya said quickly, shooting a look at Yusuke's smirk.

Jin noticed the wary look and hopped up, pulling Touya with him. His friend tried to sidle away a little, but he tugged him close enough to drop an arm over his shoulder.

"Don't worry about Yusuke," he said cheerily. "He's fun. And his friends are nice, too, I guess. Didn't really talk to them much, but they gave me a ride on their plane earlier. They're all mutants. Yusuke says they have a school full of mutants, isn't that wild? Just like our house! I told him a little about our house, but I didn't say anything about you, Touya. I didn't really want to talk about you since I thought you were, well, you know, dead and all. But you're not! I haven't seen you in months and it feels like years, really. Wait till I tell you about the bases I blew away, lots of them. Don't worry, Touya, I'll have you laughing in no time at all!"

Yusuke grinned a little at the happy chatter, and followed the pair over to where the others were. Trowa and Wufei were supporting Zechs, while Quatre had somehow talked Kurama into moving. The silver-haired mutant was standing beside the blonde, that long silver tail flicking behind him. The sight made Yusuke laugh, and he winked at the reproachful look Kurama shot him.

"Don't worry," Yusuke smirked, his gaze dropping to where Hiei was curled against Kurama's chest. "I won't wake him up. It's just nice to see you happy again."

A faint smile claimed Kurama's face, and he turned away, heading across the yard toward the place where they'd hidden the plane.

The rest of them followed, none pausing to so much as remark on Heero's presence. With everything that had happened, his timely arrival seemed natural. There would be plenty of time to discuss things once they were all safely back in the Sanq Kingdom.

- - -
TBC

-notes-
Next part will focus on Kurama, Hiei, Wufei, Quatre, Duo, and Yusuke. Expect shonen ai, possible angst, and lots (I mean LOTS) of dialogue. As I've said, it will be a long part, so it may take a while for me to write it. Lemon-lime content is now official for part 40, but I'll post a cut version for ffnet, with a link to the uncut version on my site for the older readers.