Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Baby Girl Yuy ❯ Prologue

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

GW and its characters don't belong to me but to Sunrise/SOTSU Agency Bandai etc etc.

Okay, no lemon here. This is a sappy angst fic. I am sooo uncomfortable writing sap in general but especially sap with angst because I always think it comes out sounding ridiculous.


Don't know why this certain idea came to me but it did and I wrote it to the best of my knowledge, meaning, other than the childbirth thing and procedures related to that, I don't know anything else about the whole medical process when it comes to the whole ER, emergency surgery, life flight etc. etc. I most certainly got it wrong because of my ignorance and I apologize to anyone who does in fact know more about these things then me.

And, if you think it's a little OCC the setting is twelve years after EW and I'm sure there would be at least some changes in all of the characters within that time limit.

****************************
************************ ****

****************************

"Mr. Yuy."

"Yes?" Heero answered the doctor quickly; he had been waiting 30 minutes for the news. Most of that time had been in the ER itself where he had been getting patched up. His bloodied cloths had been exchanged for some of Duo's clean cloths that Hildie had brought with her. "How is my daughter?" Heero asked trying his best not to sound too panicked.

"Well, the baby is fine, she didn't even seem to suffer much from the trauma. We've assessed her and you can go into see her at anytime." Heero nodded his head then asked about Relena.

"I've been in contact with St. Anne's as of yet her condition is unknown. I apologize for having to move her but being in the major city of L2 they simply have the medical resources to treat her that we don't. Her condition, however, was stabilizing before we sent her out. Your friend Duo Maxwell went with her, as was your request.

"Thank you." When will I be able to take my daughter out of here?"

"Well, normally we like the infants to stay here for, at least, two days to monitor their condition. But, seeing as Mrs. Maxwell is a certified nurse I see no problem with releasing the child early, if, you can guarantee me that Mrs. Maxwell, will indeed be able to monitor your daughter's condition.

"You bet I will." Popped up Hildie; she had been standing a few feet behind Heero.

The ex-gundam pilot turned to her "Thanks Hildie."

"Okay then. There's only some paperwork that needs filled out and a name for the birth certificate. Without a name the child will not be permitted to leave this hospital, or L2 for that matter. See the nurse and she'll give you the necessary paperwork. Good day and I hope all goes well with your wife." The doctor turned on his heel and walked back past the double doors that lead to the emergency room.

Heero swallowed the lump in his throat. "Name?"

He felt Hildie's cool hand on his shoulder. "Go ahead and see you daughter Heero. I'll get what you need." Heero nodded his head and thanked her again as he made his way to the elevator and up to the maternity ward.

He flashed his wristband and the nurses allowed him entrance to the nursery. He looked over at the plastic bassinette and the taped on pink tag that simply read Baby Girl Yuy. Underneath were the statistics of her size, but the words Baby Girl Yuy stuck out in his mind. Whatever name he gave her it had to be distinctive, for this just wasn't any, baby girl, this, was his daughter. Heero suddenly felt proud as his mind centered on the words, "his daughter."

After they checked that the numbers on his wristband to see if they matched that of his daughter's they allowed him access to her but not before making him wash his hands. He couldn't help but smile as he lifted the now sleeping infant into his arms. He kissed her forehead lightly noticing how warm and soft the skin felt against his lips. He thought about how different she looked now from when he saw her first come out of her mother's womb sticky, wet, wrinkled and red. The nurse's then showed him a rocking chair where he sat down and began to rock his daughter. He was told this would be one of the happiest days of his life, but it had clearly turned into one of the most bittersweet days he'd ever known.

He and Relena had only been a few miles away from the shuttle bay of L2 where they were going to return to earth and relax the final month before their daughter was due to be born. But as they neared the base a semi that had been passing them suddenly lost control. Peygan's old man reflex's had not been quick enough and their limo had been clipped by the eighteen-wheeler and sent into a roll over a shallow ditch. Peygan had been killed on impact and Relena was left unconscious and bleeding. Heero, however, had survived with only a few scraps and bruises and was able to pull his pregnant wife from the car. Once they were free from the danger he began to quickly assess her condition.

There was a gash to her head, most definitely a concussion, a few broken ribs and possible internal bleeding. Heero closed his eyes and prayed that she looked worse then what she actually was. His attention turned towards the rather huge bulge in Relena's abdomen. The baby inside seemed fine giving his hand a kick or two as it glided over her mother's stomach. Heero was worried, though, fearing somewhat that the membrane surrounding his daughter may have been ruptured and possible amniotic fluid was leaking slowly. Heero was in a panic that he had never been in before as he whipped out his cell phone and dialed the necessary numbers, contacting Duo and Hildie afterward telling them to meet him at the hospital. Heero was relieved, yet not surprised that the ambulance had arrived so quickly and he was confident that she and the baby would get the best medical care. After all, they wouldn't want to be the one's who allowed the Vice Foreign Minister and her unborn child to die.

Upon arriving at the hospital Relena was rushed into the ER and after hooking her up to tubes and machines and IV's they had begun an emergency C-section. Heero quickly slipped on the scrubs they'd given him and allowed them to snap an identification code around his right wrist; he then took his place by his wife's side holding her hand with both of his. The emotions inside of him were torn between the overpowering joys of soon becoming a father and between the bone-gripping fears that possibly he could become a widower the same day. He was angry and pained that Relena was unable to share in the moment she was looking forward to more than anything and, at the fact that their child might never know its mother.

"Here she is." Announced the doctor as Heero's eyes captured the sight of a tiny, squirming, purplish red human being pulled out of his wife. He left Relena momentarily to cut the cord and after several seconds of the nurses checking over the baby Heero was holding the crying infant girl in his arms; he did not even try to stop his tears.

"She's beautiful Relena," he whispered to his wife before she was taken immediately to a life flight team that would take her to the main hospital of L2.

"Heero, I have the paperwork."

"Huh?" Heero was pulled out of his thoughts by Hildie's voice. "Yes. Thank you." He handed his daughter back to another nurse but not before giving her a final peck once again on her forehead. He existed the nursery and sat down at a small table and chair that served as part of the small lobby on the maternity ward floor. He began to read over the papers and fill out the necessary information, but then stopped when it came time to fill in the top part of the birth certificate. Relena and he had never discussed a name. They had decided to wait until the baby was born and make the decision together but now it was solely up to him to name their daughter.

Heero growled; he didn't have time for this red tape. He needed to get to Relena. He tried to clear his mind to think and as he did his eyes laid on an open magazine. There was an advertisement about an antique gun show. He scribbled the first name, but what middle name should he use? "God Maxwell I can't thank you enough for being there with her." Even though he knew at times Duo Maxwell could be the biggest goof, he also knew that in times of crisis he could be counted on. In a way Duo had always been his best friend. Heero scribbled down the middle name. He checked the paperwork over two more times to make sure everything was correct and then rose from his seat and went to the nurse's station and handed in the papers.

The nurse glanced over the papers, her eyes did a double take as she read the name but she smoothed it over. "Well, sir, everything looks in order. It should only take a few minutes to file these and then shortly you and your little girl can get outta here.

Heero thanked the woman and made his way back to the nursery. Hildie was holding his daughter and giving her a bottle. She saw him enter the nursery and wash his hands. She then handed the baby over, but only before checking their bands. "Can't be to careful Heero." He shook his head and with his daughter in his arms he sat back down in the rocker, holding the infant tightly to his body as he took over her feeding.

Over at St. Anne's...

"Well Mr. Maxwell, the minister is fine. Her injuries weren't as extensive as we first thought them to be."

Duo released his breath. "Great. So she's okay?"

"She's good for now but we're keeping her in ICU just to be safe. And, we're only allowing immediate family up to visit."

Duo looked at his watch. He had received a phone call forty-five minutes ago from Heero stating that him and Hildie were leaving the hospital and coming immediately to St. Anne's. Duo estimated that, with Heero's driving, they would be there any minute now.

Heero glanced in the review mirror at Hildie who was sitting in the back seat next to the baby, who once again was sleeping; they were in Duo's car. Heero had opted to drive, deciding he was not in the mood to let anyone but he is in charge of protecting his child.

"It's a good thing they sleep a lot at this age." Hildie spoke, trying to ease the tension in the vehicle.

"We're here." Heero stated as he pulled into a parking lot.

Duo checked out the front door of the lobby and about jumped for joy when he saw his wife and best bud entering the first set of double doors. He greeted them excitedly. "Hildie, Heero." He reached out and pulled his wife into him for a hug and kiss. She kissed him back, only briefly, and glared at him as a sign for him to tone down on the cheerfulness. Duo just grinned. "Well after I tell you the news you'll be cheerful too."

"How is she?"

Duo released a breath. "She's good Heero. She ended up not having any internal bleeding, only a few broken ribs, a bad cut and concussion. Stuff you already knew. They're keeping her in ICU just for the heck of it and only immediate family can visit. Which, would be, you."

"What's the doctor's name?"

"Harold Green."

"I'm going to talk to him." Stated Heero flatly handing the infant carrier over to Duo; Duo watched Heero walking away. "He seems as intense as ever."

"How do you expect him to be Duo? Just look at the kind of day he just had? For being a sweet guy you can sure be insensitive at times."

Duo hung his head and shrugged. "I know...so that's the baby huh?" She's cute. Lots of dark hair." The couple sat down and Duo picked up the baby. Wow she's tiny. Not like Justin. He was a chunk."

Hildie smiled. "Don't remind me, I gave birth to him remember?" Duo chuckled.

"So, what's this little girl's name?"

Hildie took a breath.

~Meanwhile~

Heero had spoken to the doctor and was approaching Hildie and Duo; Duo was laughing when he saw Heero. "If you'd had twins what would you've called them Smith and Wesson?"

Hildie's eyes grew wide and she covered her face in embarrassment. "Duo!"

"Hey babe, I'm just joking. It's a cool name, especially the middle name. I'm honored buddy."

Heero lifted the carrier and ignored Duo. "I was pressed for time." Heero's barb as usual was subtle but held impact. "I'm taking the baby up with me to see Relena. The doctor gave it an okay since she's in a private room. I should be down shortly."

In the elevator on the way up Heero noticed his daughter begin to squirm slightly and her mouth opened in a big yawn; his heart felt as if it was going to bust with what Duo had called cheerfulness. Relena was fine. The baby was fine. Everything was going to be all right. He picked up the carrier and stepped out of the elevator and walked to the left entering Relena's room. As quietly as a mouse he placed the carrier on the floor and leaned over to kiss Relena on the lips; he whispered her name. She drew in a deep breath as if startled and her eyes flashed open. She blinked wildly a few times disorientation throwing her vision off a little. She instinctively ran a hand over her stomach and began to panic when she was unable to feel her swollen tummy. "My baby? Where's my baby? Peygan...he's gone?"

"Yes Relena he is." He saw his wife begin to break down as she asked about the baby again.

Heero wrapped his arms around her trying his best not to apply too much pressure to her ribs. Shshsh. Relena. It's okay. The baby's fine. I have her here with me." Heero's words sunk into her slowly as her vision began to clear and her breathing began to steady. She winced as a pain shot through her chest and head. "Slow down Relena. You have a concussion and a bad gash on your head and you have a few broken ribs."

She shook her head despite the pain. "The car overturned that's the last thing I remember...and Peygan's neck breaking." Her voice was a whisper.

"Would you like to see our daughter Relena?"

She turned to him and smiled as if she was brought back to reality, "Yes."

Heero bent over and gingerly picked up the wiggling child and cradled her carefully as he transferred the baby to her mother's arms.

Relena began to cry a little. "Oh Heero, she's beautiful. She has your eyes and her hair is brown."

"But it's fine like yours Relena." He wrapped his arm around her and slid as much of his body as he could onto Relena's bed. "Relena. In order to be able to bring her hear I had to name her. I know it was something we wanted to do together, but..."

"It's okay" Relena spoke softly as she continued to smooth her fingers over the infant girl's body counting her fingers and toes. "What did you name her?"

~*~*~*~*

Duo slipped his cell phone back in Hildie's big bag. "Sitter said Justin's in bed. Everything's cool."

Hildie yawned. "Heero and the baby will be staying with us until Relena is released. I have to observe the baby a couple of days to make sure everything's okay." Almost immediately after the war Hildie had been helping Duo with his business. She enjoyed it but she had always felt like a glorified secretary. She stuck with it though, realizing that at the start of his salvage business Duo did need her help. Then, as their business grew and profited her interests changed. And so six years ago she had decided to go to college and earn her nursing degree. At first she was a LPN. She felt she had found her niche and so she studied a few more years to become a RN. And now, she was contemplating if she wanted to go to college again to become a MD.

Duo scooted down a little in his chair so that he could rest the back of his head against the wall. "Who would have thought Heero and Relena would ever become parents. They've been married for ten years, wondered what changed their minds."

"You know those two," Hilide added. They never rush into anything."

"Man, do you think Relena will like the name Heero gave their daughter?"

Hildie yawned again. "It just makes me glad I never let you name Justin.

Duo grinned. "You would have gotten use to the name Spike."

Hildie groaned. "Never."

Relena spoke the name softly letting the syllables form in her mouth. "Well, Heero. I guess we could derive a nickname from her first name. Oh, Heero. You did know she was a girl didn't you?"

"I was under pressure Relena. All I could think of was to get to you. I made a decision. Besides, I don't plan on stereotyping her because she's a girl."

"I certain tally agree with you there Heero."

"You really don't like the name?"

Relena sighed. "Actually I suppose it could be considered a good name but it might shock some politicians that the leading representative of peace has a daughter named after a gun."

"We can change it if you want to Relena."

She looked down at her daughter and laughed as much as her pained body would let her. "No. It was a name given to her by a special man. Besides, you don't seem to mind in the least, do you, Miss Remingtion Maxwell Yuy.

<The name above, Remington "Remi" Maxwell Yuy is a name that came out of my own warped mind. Stupid I know but I never claimed to be intelligent. It is the only thing in this fic that I claim as my own and wish it not to be used by others. >