Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Chimaera ❯ Chapter 7 ( Chapter 7 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the G'boys, I just borrow them from time to time to play with and return them a whole lot happier, ne?

Rating: NC 17

Warnings: Yaoi, Lemon, sap, angst, Male Pregnancy, medical themes

Pairings: 1x2x1

Archive: http://gundam-wing-diaries.150m.com

http://sweetlysour.net.

http://adultfanfiction.net

http://www.theforsakenwk.com

Many thanks to DBZVelena, Ryouga and Yami_Tai for the beta. Also thanks to Yami_Tai for the title of this fic.

Notes: Set partially during the series but main bulk after the war. EW didn't take place. The Eve wars are finished and the peace retained. The pilots have all gone their own ways, Heero and Duo have made a life together both working for Preventer when Duo's world is turned upside down as his unknown past comes back to haunt him.

Dedication: To Velena who gave me the plot bunny for this little gem.

Status: In progress.

~ Indicates flashbacks ~

/ thoughts /

"Chimaera"

October. 2003 ShenLong

Chapter 7

As Duo awakened slowly he was aware of two things. One, he felt warm and safe. Two, the reason for that feeling was snuggled close to his chest. He smiled softly, he hadn't been dreaming, Heero was here with him and they had talked. He jumped a little as a hand squeezed his shoulder and looked up to see Hilde grinning at him, a cup of coffee in her hand. He shifted slightly, trying not to disturb Heero who was still sleeping.

"You guys talked?" Hilde whispered.

Duo nodded.

"Get things sorted out okay?"

Another nod.

"Good." Hilde placed the coffee in Duo's awaiting hand and retreated to the other lounge chair where she could enjoy her drink and watch at the same time.

The shift of Duo's body stirred Heero into wakefulness. His blue eyes blinked open and a smile found its way to his lips as he noted his arms were wrapped around Duo. Rather than break the warmth of the moment he opted to stay quiet and just enjoy the closeness he'd denied himself for so long. He thanked all the gods he knew of, and some he didn't, for being granted this second chance with the one person whom he hoped he could spend the rest of his days with. But Duo was right. A lot of damage had been done to their relationship, damage caused by his own stupid actions and he was fiercely determined to change all that. With Duo willing to give him a second chance, he would make sure he didn't screw up again.

He vowed silently to make everything up to Duo and to never give him a reason to ever doubt him again. It wasn't going to be easy to re-build that trust as Duo had said, but the first step had been taken and a good foundation was beginning to appear. If they both worked at it Heero could see no reason why the relationship that they would hopefully build, shouldn't stay firm with such a solid base. He needed to do as he'd been advised all those years ago, the same advice he'd passed on to someone else.

He had to learn to trust his emotions and follow them.

He felt Duo shift again slightly and the quiet murmur of a female voice. He thought he had better announce his wakened state; enough deception had graced his life and now was the time to put a stop to it. He let a warm exhalation of breath escape his mouth, ruffling his bangs and brushing through the fabric of Duo's shirt to heat the young man's chest.

Duo felt the puff of air against his shirt and underlying skin and barely held the shiver that passed through him. He tilted his head and looked down into the sleepy eyes of the one person he never thought he would see again. "Decide to wake up, sleepy head?"

Heero gave an uncharacteristic yawn. "I smell coffee."

Duo chuckled, the sound rumbling up from deep within him. "Hilde's home."

At the announcement of the woman's name Heero began to shift from his position to sit up. His face reddened at the thought that Hilde had come home and found them curled up together, especially given the blame he'd laid willingly at her feet for the past two years. Even if she wasn't aware of it... yet.

He felt he couldn't look her in the eye and yet he had to. He managed to get himself upright and turned to take his first look at the woman whom he'd held responsible for his unhappiness all this time.

Hilde picked up the coffee that sat patiently on the table and extended her hand to Heero as the Japanese man scrambled to sit properly on the couch. She noted with amusement the sly grin that appeared on Duo's face as he watched the scene unfold. "Coffee, Heero?"

Heero raised his eyes to meet those of the gir... woman now, he corrected himself. "Thank you," he said as he took the offered cup.

"Did you have a pleasant flight?"

"Hai. Thank you for asking."

An uncomfortable silence sat over the room for a moment while the three people each pondered their thoughts. Unable to stand the weight in the air Duo placed his now empty cup on the coffee table and stretched. "I think I will take a shower. You gonna cook tonight Hil' or do you want me to?" he asked as he fiddled with the end of his braid.

"I'll cook," Hilde replied. "Heero can help me."

Heero's eyes snapped up at the sound of his name. He hadn't really been paying attention to what was going on, rather he'd been thinking about the talk he'd had earlier with Duo. "Huh?"

Hilde smiled. "You don't mind giving me a hand with preparing dinner do you, Heero?"

"Iie. I'll be happy to help."

"Good. You go take your shower, Duo, Heero and I will get the dinner underway."

Duo gave Heero a warm smile and exited the room, Heero's eyes following the swing of the braid as the lithe form disappeared from his vision. A discreet cough from the side drew his wandering mind back to the lounge room and the other occupant once more. He turned his head slowly to see Hilde watching him carefully.

"Let's go start on dinner, Heero." Hilde stood and picked up Duo's empty cup from the table before heading for the kitchen. Heero slowly got to his feet and followed.

Hilde dropped the cups into the sink and opened the 'fridge door, rummaging around inside for a few moments before backing out, her hands full of various items. She kicked the door shut and made her way over to the kitchen bench where she deposited the load and retrieved a knife and peeler from the drawer. Hearing Heero come into the kitchen behind her she gave a silent sigh and prepared herself mentally for the task ahead. She turned to the blue eyed man and handed him the peeler, Heero took it and gave it a funny look. "It's a peeler Heero, not some sort of new weapon."

Heero gave her a *look*. "I know what it is."

"Good. Then you should also know how to use it." Hilde pointed to the small pile of vegetables on the bench. "You can start by peeling those for me, please."

Heero shifted to the bench and picked up a carrot; turning the vegetable over in his hand he raised the implement to its orange surface and began to remove the outer skin. So involved in his task was he that he didn't notice the strange look that appeared in Hilde's eyes, nor the cool expression that settled upon her features.

Hilde was sorting through the thoughts in her head. She now had Heero where she wanted him, alone. Now all she had to do was find a way to start the conversation she intended to have with him while Duo wasn't around. She watched as Heero stripped the carrot of its outer layer, just like he had stripped Duo of his heart. Clearing her throat she turned to look at the ex-pilot.

Heero felt the weight of Hilde's eyes upon him but continued in his task. He had no doubt he would find out soon enough what was bothering the woman. When he heard the noise of a throat clearing he knew it was coming and braced himself.

"Heero?"

Heero turned, peeler poised in mid air as he faced the woman he thought he hated. "Hai?"

Hilde swallowed, glanced at the floor and then met Heero's gaze. "I'm not sure what your reasons were for leaving Duo the way you did and frankly I don't care, but let me tell you this," Hilde stepped a little closer. Having started on her speech she wasn't about to give up now. Duo was more important to her than anything else in her life and she wasn't about to sit back and watch him go through heartbreak again just because Heero felt like taking off once more when it suited him. Spurred on by courage she didn't know she possessed her eyes narrowed as she continued. "When you just upped and left it nearly killed him. After all that you guys had gone through during the war and managed to survive, once you finally brought about peace for all to enjoy you simply walked away and left him ." Hilde paused for a moment.

"Do you have any idea what he went through after you left? All his life people, whom he had come to love and cherish, left him, whether it be the plague, the alliance or the stupid war, they all left him. He was scared to let anyone get close to him again, in case it happened once more. He needed you guys though. You all had the same goal in mind and in you four, he found kindred spirits, people he could become friends with. Yes, he knew the score, he was well aware of the odds against surviving, but he fought hard and long, just like you all did and he could see a light at the end of the tunnel. He told me a lot about you, Heero, how he was beginning to care more for you than he should have but he couldn't stop himself. He was afraid to let himself love you the way he wanted to, in case you also succumbed to the curse of Shinigami that he believed he was endowed with. When the war finally came to an end he was so happy, I've never seen him so full of life. You know why he was that happy, Heero?" Hilde stared at the Japanese man.

Heero couldn't take his eyes away from the woman's; he didn't doubt a word of what she was telling him and it tore at his insides as he was made privy to some of Duo's past. The mere glimpse she had given him into Duo's past explained a lot of things to Heero; Duo's reluctance to progress further with their relationship, the need to be just hugged and held, the fierceness in his fighting skills, the way he would back off when things became too intense, how he would run and hide when he couldn't cope anymore and the look of longing in those violet eyes when he thought Heero couldn't see.

"Do you, Heero?" The question was stronger this time.

Heero had a pretty good idea of what Hilde was aiming at. "We finally had peace," he offered by way of reply.

"That was part of it, Heero. Yes, he was happy that the fighting was over, that peace was here for all to enjoy and along the way he had managed to keep a promise to avenge the deaths of the one's he'd lost in his youth but that wasn't the main reason." Hilde's voice lowered a little. "No, Heero. The main reason he was so happy was that at last he could free his heart and soul and begin to live. He would be able to let his true deep feelings for you surface and live a life he'd always wanted to, with someone who promised him they would be there for him, would share the future with him, love him as unconditionally as he loved them. He was looking forward to building a happy future with you, Heero."

Heero hung his head in shame.

"And what did you do? You took his love and tore it up. You didn't talk to him about whatever it was that was bothering you. You insulted him, Heero. Rather than talk to him you just walked out and left, without a word and without a trace. He had no clue why you would leave him after promising him the things you did. For days after you'd gone he would cry himself to sleep. He will deny it but I could hear the small sounds of sobbing from his room when he thought he was all alone. The days were worse, he'd spend a lot of his time trying to track you down, wanting answers from you and determined to get them. Have you any idea what it was like to sit back so helplessly and watch the light in his eyes slowly fade away? He gradually gave up the search but I could see you never truly left his thoughts. And now you suddenly show up again."

Heero could feel the anguish rising in his chest. He honestly had no idea just how much his leaving had affected Duo. The more he thought about Hilde's words the bigger the ache in his heart grew and the deeper the pain of guilt for what he'd put Duo through, even if he'd thought he was doing the right thing at the time.

"Answer me one thing, Heero."

Heero focused on the woman standing before him.

"Do you care for him? I mean, *really* care for him? Do you love him?"

Heero didn't have to think on his answer, he replied immediately in a soft voice. "Hai, I do."

"Then you had better listen to me, Heero, and listen good." Hilde moved until her face was only inches from the ex-pilot's. "Don't you ever dare to hurt him like that again. If you ever leave him again, like you did before, without an explanation then be prepared to deal with me. Duo is like a brother to me and as such, I will not sit back and watch him suffer through the agony he endured when you left before. I can't watch and do nothing as his whole world crumbles around his ears and he doesn't know why. You ripped his heart out once, Yuy.... You try it a second time and I'll come after you and I promise you I'll cut your balls from your body and force feed them to you before I tear your own heart out. Got it?!"

Heero swallowed hard and nodded the affirmative. If the situation hadn't been so serious he would have thought it comical. The small, slender female standing over the ex-terrorist and assassin, eyes blazing and threatening to castrate him.

"Good." Hilde backed down a little, her body trembling as the shock of what she had just done settled in. She noted the pained expression on Heero's face and knew he'd understood her threat quite clearly. She could also detect a subtle fear and self loathing there as well. Obviously she'd given him a little more information than he'd had before. Not that it would hurt. With any luck Heero would take note and talk to Duo more, after all if they were hoping to settle into a serious relationship then talking about things was a vital part of it. She heard the water switch off and knew it wouldn't be long before Duo would be back with them. "I'm glad we could reach this understanding, Heero."

Heero watched as the woman went back to the piece of meat she'd fetched from the 'fridge with the vegetables and began to cut it up. He picked up another carrot and began to peel again, his mind whirling with thoughts.

~ * ~

The dinner was served and the three sat around the small table eating and generally conversing on safe topics such as the local economy. Duo was a little uneasy, he could sense that something had passed between Hilde and Heero while he was taking his shower but as neither one of them sported any form of bruising or such, he could only assume they had merely exchanged words and not physical blows. He supposed that in one way that was good. Hilde tended to be a little over protective of him at times and while he appreciated the gesture; sometimes he could well do without it. She meant well and was only looking out for his welfare but he was a big boy and more than capable of looking after himself.

"How long are you planning on staying on L2 for, Heero?" Hilde asked as she helped herself to a slice of bread.

Heero continued to chew the food he had in his mouth as he thought of his reply. Swallowing he answered, "To tell you the truth, I hadn't really thought about it. I..… I guess I hadn't thought about anything beyond talking to Duo."

Duo smiled. "We can discuss more of that later on, Heero. We have a lot of things to talk about."

"You are welcome to stay here for as long as you wish, Heero,. Any friend of Duo's is a friend of mine," Hilde responded.

Heero gave her a small smile. "Thank you. I don't wish to put anyone out though."

Duo waved his hand. "Hilde doesn't mind, Heero. She wouldn't have offered if she didn't mean it, would you, Hil'?"

"Actually..."

Both Heero and Duo looked at the woman and Hilde realized just how that word must have sounded to them so she quickly continued with her intended sentence before they could get the wrong interpretation.

"Actually, I was wondering, if Heero is going to stay for a while, would he consider taking a job in the scrap yard?"

Both men looked at her as if she had grown another head or something.

"Well, business is quite busy and you know yourself, Duo, that we could really use another pair of hands around the yard. You're always doing much longer hours than you should just to keep up with the turnover. If Heero is going to be staying for a while, I figure he could do with a job and I need another pair of hands in the yard..." Hilde went quiet, letting the pair digest the offer.

"She is right, Heero. The yard is moving ahead in leaps and bounds and I'm barely managing to keep up with the shipments, both the orders and the incoming, let alone keep the stockpiles in the yard organized. Another person on board would certainly help and the yard can afford to pay you."

Heero contemplated the offer for a moment. "Why haven't you hired someone before now?"

"Haven't found anyone that I can rely on to do the job properly, not to mention work with Duo. He can be a snappy bastard at times and not easy to get along with," Hilde replied.

"Hey! I'm not a snappy bastard."

"Yes, you are. Only last week you bit off the delivery man's head."

"Well, he shouldn't have dumped the scrap where he did," grumbled Duo.

"He put it where he always dumps it, Duo. He didn't know you were expecting another delivery the same day and wanted his delivery in another spot."

Heero watched the exchange with a bemused smile on his face. He knew Duo could get cranky at times, he'd seen it on a few occasions during the latter parts of the war but the crankiness usually disappeared after a day or two, even quicker if Duo had something to go and blow up. Seemed like he was still getting those bouts of irritability. "I'll take the job," he said and the pair instantly stopped bickering.

"You will?" Hilde smiled.

"Hai."

"Great, Heero. I'll let Duo explain everything to you in regards to your duties a little later. Tomorrow he can take you through the yard and show you around."

Duo gave him a warm smile and snickered. "Welcome to the scrap heap, Heero."

~ oOo ~

tbc........