Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Chimaera ❯ Chapter 10 ( Chapter 10 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the G'boys, I just borrow them from time to time to play with and return them a whole lot happier, ne?

Rating: NC 17

Warnings: Yaoi, Lemon, sap, angst, Male Pregnancy, medical themes

Pairings: 1x2x1

Archive: http://gundam-wing-diaries.150m.com

http://sweetlysour.net.

http://adultfanfiction.net

http://www.theforsakenwk.com

Many thanks to DBZVelena, Ryouga and Yami_Tai for the beta. Also thanks to Yami_Tai for the title of this fic.

Notes: Set partially during the series but main bulk after the war. EW didn't take place. The Eve wars are finished and the peace retained. The pilots have all gone their own ways, Heero and Duo have made a life together both working for Preventer when Duo's world is turned upside down as his unknown past comes back to haunt him.

Dedication: To Velena who gave me the plot bunny for this little gem.

Status: In progress.

~ Indicates flashbacks ~

/ thoughts /

"Chimaera"

October. 2003 ShenLong

Chapter 10

Heero stared at the American, words deserting him momentarily. The job offer really appealed to him. He enjoyed working in the scrap yard with Hilde and Duo, but it wasn't something he wanted to be doing for the rest of his life. Both he and Duo had skills, skills that could be used for the benefit of both the Earth and Colonies alike and working for the Preventer Organization could offer them both a position that would allow them to utilize those skills for the benefit of all. The job offer also contained within, a challenge. Working in the scrap yard, while never boring, didn't provide much in the way of a challenge.

As field agents they would be a part of the action again, feel the adrenaline rush as they pitted their wits against the *enemy*. To be honest it was something that Heero found himself missing and craving in his life. While he was happy that the war had ended and he had no desire to kill again, he missed the thrill of the chase, the cunning and planning of successful missions, the game of cat and mouse that had constantly been waged. It had been a part of him for so long now that it was almost like a second skin and to have it *amputated* so to speak had been a shock to his system.

This was why in one way he'd gone off by himself for so long and unknowingly caused Duo so much heartache. Thinking that the one he'd intended to spend the rest of his days with had fallen for a girl combined with the redundancy of his skills had been a bitter pill to swallow; so bitter in fact that he'd nearly choked on it.

Heero knew that Duo also missed the thrill of the battle, even if he wouldn't admit to it. He hadn't misread the gleam of excitement in those violet orbs when Wufei had offered them both a job. To know that Duo was willing to sacrifice the chance of working in the field and utilizing his skills for the sake of his friend told Heero volumes about just how deep Duo's feelings for his friends ran.

It also helped him to realize just how much Duo would, and could, care for him as more than a friend; if only they could overcome their awkwardness.

While Heero also didn't want to leave Hilde in the lurch, he wasn't about to let Duo throw away such a golden opportunity without a fight....

And if he couldn't convince Duo to take up the offer?

Then Heero would also refuse. There was no way Heero was going to leave Duo again, not now, not once they had started to work on their relationship again. He'd left once. To leave a second time would be in a body bag as far as Heero was concerned.

"Heero?"

Heero looked up to see Duo's violet eyes fixed firmly on him, concern etched into his face.

"You okay, buddy?"

"Hai." Heero bit his lip and lowered his eyes. "Duo? If you don't take the offer then I won't either."

"Now you're talking rubbish, Heero. You would be a fool to pass up such an opportunity." Duo sighed. "I know how much you miss the excitement in your life, working in a scrap yard just isn't the same so you should really go where your heart lies and do some good for the universe."

Heero reached forwards and brushed his fingers over Duo's cheek. "I am where my heart lies."

Duo felt the well of tears behind his eyes with the tender touch and soft words. He reached his own hand up to cover Heero's and draw it against his skin. "I... I don't want to be the reason you gave up a career that I know you would adore. Don't put that responsibility on me, Heero, I can't ask you to stay because of me."

"You stay, I stay. It's as simple as that, Duo. I'm not leaving without you."

"Who's leaving?"

Both men jumped as they realized Hilde had stepped back into the hall way. "Ummm...." Duo stuttered, lost for words.

Hilde folded her arms across her chest and looked at the pair. "Something's going on and I want to know what it is. You both have guilty faces and look torn in two, so come on... spill."

Heero couldn't look at the woman, he knew if he did she would see the thoughts running inside his head, instead he let his hand take Duo's and tug the long haired man towards the kitchen. "I think we should discuss this over a cup of coffee." /A stiff scotch would probably be more appropriate,/ he thought to himself.

Duo allowed himself to be dragged to the kitchen and pushed into a chair. He frowned as Hilde sat opposite him while Heero made the coffee. He really didn't want to be here discussing this, his mind was made up and he had a funny feeling that Hilde would be taking Heero's side.

Hilde sat and waited patiently for Heero to make the coffee. She knew this had something to do with the call from Wufei and she had a small inkling of what it could possibly be. She gave a small internal smile. If it was what she thought then breaking her own news might be that little bit easier. A coffee mug dropping to the table in front of her drew her from her thoughts and she smiled at Heero. "Thanks."

Heero placed a mug in front of Duo and then sat down next to his boyfriend, taking Duo's hand for reassurance as he cleared his throat to speak. Keeping his face neutral and his voice steady he began to recite to Hilde what Wufei had called about.

Hilde sat in silence as the words tumbled from Heero's mouth.

"Wufei want's us both to work as field agents, but Duo and I will not leave you with the scrap yard the way it is."

Duo sat up straight and glared at Heero. "I said you could go Heero, I won't hold you back and I won't hold it against you."

"And I told you that I'm not going without you," Heero returned with a glare of his own.

"You're such a stubborn shit, Heero! Why pass up an opportunity to do something you know you really want to do?" Duo growled.

"I refuse to leave you again, besides I know it's something you want to do as well," Heero replied, rather firmly.

"You can be such an asshole at times, Yuy."

"Look who's talking."

"Boys... Oh, boys..."

Both men stopped their slanging, and glaring, match and blinked as Hilde waved her hand at them.

"Hey there, guys, remember me? Don't I get a say in this?" Hilde smiled at the pair. Really, they both needed their heads banging together for being so stubborn. /It was rather sweet though,/ she mused. /Neither one wanting to hurt or leave the other./

"What's there to say, Hil'? You can't possibly get through all those orders without help... the business would crash and where would that leave you?" Duo ground out.

"Actually, there is something I wanted to discuss with the pair of you."

Both Heero and Duo looked at her, their curiosity piqued. 'So, tell us already," Duo griped, tired of the word games.

Hilde gave them a smile. "I think you should both take up the offer that Wufei has so kindly suggested. You both have skills that are being wasted here in the scrap yard, not to mention you both miss the thrill and excitement of the chase." Seeing that Duo was about to interrupt her she gave him a *look*

Duo promptly shut his mouth.

"I know you are both concerned about leaving me by myself to cope with the yard and all, and believe me when I say that I think that it's really sweet of you to be so considerate. In fact I'm really touched that you care so much." Hilde paused and took a deep breath, noting both Heero and Duo beginning to flush a little from her words. "I don't want either of you to pass this up, I for one would feel guilty if you did so, but besides that," she continued quickly seeing Heero about to jump into the conversation. "Besides that, I have some news of my own that I've been trying to figure out the best way to tell you."

Now both men were even more curious.

"Mark proposed to me a couple of days ago and I intend to accept."

"Oh, Hil'! That's great news." Duo jumped up from his seat and raced around the kitchen table to envelop the woman in a hug.

Hilde laughed and tried to fend off the exuberant American. "Duo, there's more."

Duo released her and sat down once again, the smile on his face from ear to ear. Heero was also smiling, his congratulations could wait for the moment, he wanted to hear what else Hilde had to say.

Hilde looked from one to the other, smiling brightly. "Mark, as you know, is also involved in the scrap business, his yard is a little larger than ours but he's also getting large orders and really needs to expand." Hilde took another breath before plunging on. "We hope to combine the two yards into one. If we do that not only can we increase the business but the number of staff that Mark has working for him will adequately cover both yards."

Duo drew in a sharp breath. "In other words you wouldn't need me and Heero anymore?"

Hilde looked up sharply. "No! No, that is not what I meant at all. Both you and Heero would always have a job with me, regardless. I thought you would have known better than that Duo." Hilde looked hurt that Duo could have doubted her.

"I'm sorry, Hil.'" Duo realized his mistake.

Heero continued to say nothing but took a hold of Duo's hand and gently ran his thumb over the back of it.

"Can't you see, Duo? With the two yards combining there won't be so much pressure so there is no reason why you and Heero shouldn't take Wufei's offer. You won't have to feel like you're deserting me because you won't be."

Duo thought about it for a moment before nodding. "I guess you're right, Hilde. There isn't anything stopping us then, although I'm really going to miss this place."

"Thank you, Hilde," Heero said quietly, his voice full of sincerity. He didn't need to say anymore, Hilde understood.

"Good, I'm glad all that is sorted out then. I think you should call Wufei back and tell him you both accept."

"Hai. We will do that but not now. Duo and I need to talk about it a little before we do accept, there are a few questions I have that need answers before I accept."

"There are?" Duo raised an eyebrow.

"Hai. Let's talk, Duo."

The pair left Hilde in the kitchen to muse over the mornings events while they took their discussion to the scrap yard. Working off some of the stress as they discussed the proposition.

~ * ~

Two days later Heero called Wufei to ask his and Duo's questions and accept the proposal. Wufei seemed pleased. "I will inform Lady Une of your decision and arrange for transportation for you both back to Earth. Do you have much to tie up in the way of loose ends on L2?"

"We should be able to finalize everything within the week, Chang."

"Good. I'll have the shuttle organized for next Thursday then. I'll contact you a couple of days prior with the final details."

"Arigato."

"Chang out."

Heero disconnected his end and went in search of Duo, instead he found Hilde waiting for him.

"Heero? Can I talk to you for a moment please?"

Heero nodded and followed Hilde into her bedroom. She motioned for him to sit on the bed which he did so and folded his hands in his lap, his mind wondering what the hell Hilde wanted to talk to him about. He hoped she wasn't going to bawl him out again, he couldn't think of anything he'd done to warrant that. He looked up expectantly.

Hilde shut the door and turned to face the Japanese man. "Heero. I just wanted to apologize to you."

Heero's eyes widened. "Pardon?"

Hilde walked over and sat beside him. "When you first came here I was mad at you, annoyed with you for hurting Duo the way you did. I had no rights to go off at you the way I did, nor threaten you either. I can see now that it was a genuine mistake and that you love Duo very much."

"Hai, I love him more than life itself."

Hilde ran her hand through her hair. "Duo is like a brother to me. When he hurts, I hurt. We have come through a lot and survived, I didn't want him getting torn apart again and I thought you might do that to him a second time. Like I said before, if you leave him again, it will kill him, Heero. I know he's not the easiest of people to get along with at times; mostly though, he's happy and he loves life, always wanting to joke around and leaving hair balls in the shower...."

Heero had to laugh at that. "I'm sure I can forgive him those little things, Hilde. He's Duo and all of that is just what makes him, him; special."

"Yeah, he's one in a million." Hilde's face took on a dreamy look before snapping back to the present. "It's just that I really care about him and want him to be happy. I know you make him happy, Heero, and I want you to know that I'm sorry for misjudging you."

Heero reached out and took Hilde's hand in his, his eyes leveling to meet hers. "You're a very special person yourself, Hilde. Duo is lucky to have you as his sister."

"Just take care of him, Heero. Look after him and keep him happy. That's all I ask."

"Hai, I promise I will never consciously hurt him, Hilde. All I want to do is love him and make him happy."

"Good. Then I won't have to come after you and whip your sorry ass."

Heero grinned. "No, you won't."

~ * ~

Duo washed up and went in search of Heero. Hilde stopped him and pulled him into her room. "Duo, I need to talk to you for a moment please."

"Sure, Hil', what's up?"

"I just wanted to let you know that I think you are doing the right thing."

"I gathered that."

"I don't mean just with the Preventers, Duo, I mean with Heero."

"Huh?"

"Heero really loves you, Duo. I can tell from the way he watches you, how he looks at you when you speak, the way he touches you gently. His feelings are deep but I want you to be careful. Let the relationship continue to develop slow and easy, the way you have been. Don't rush into anything and remember to keep the lines of communication open. Hang on to him, Duo, he can make you really happy."

Duo gave her a wry grin. "I thought you were the one that was getting married, Hil', not me."

Hilde gave him a smack upside the head. "Idiot. I'm only trying to look out for your welfare."

Duo drew her into his arms and hugged her close. "I know you are, Hilde, I know you are and I love you for it. Shit, I'm going to miss you."

"I'm going to miss you too, baby brother."

~ * ~

tbc........