Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Chimaera ❯ Chapter 111 ( Chapter 111 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Please see previous chapters for notes, disclaimers etc.
 
"Chimaera"
 
October. 2003 ShenLong
 
Chapter 111
 
[Duo's Car]
 
With Duo now as comfortable as possible and the contractions stopped for the moment, Nurse Brown drew her cell 'phone from her hand bag and punched in the emergency contact number Sally had given her. The call was answered within two rings. "Doctor Po?"
 
"Margaret? ETA?"
 
"ETA, fifteen minutes."
 
"Status?"
 
"Blood pressure a little high, pulse elevated, temperature normal."
 
"And the baby?"
 
"Fetal heartbeat was regular with no signs of distress when last checked."
 
"Contractions?"
 
"One since we left the mansion. Duration forty-five seconds."
 
"Strength?"
 
"That would depend on the scale you use," chuckled the nurse. "Duo has a pretty high tolerance for pain, or so I'm told, but this is child birth and an entirely different kettle of fish. I'd say what we would rate as a level two, a man would rate as a level ten."
 
"Hey! I happen to be allergic to pain you know. I break out in cuts and bruises," retorted Duo from his semi lounging position as he caught the nurse's side of the conversation.
 
"Point noted." Sally smiled even though no one could see it. "I spoke with Une."
 
"And?" Nurse Brown didn't want to say too much from her end, knowing that both Trowa and Duo could hear her. She didn't need either one of them panicking anymore than they already were.
 
"It appears there is a hostage situation at the Glasshouse, Yuy and Chang are the only agents she has capable of pulling off this mission at the moment. No one else has the necessary skills. I can see her point but I still think that Heero should be here with Duo."
 
"I agree. We can talk more once we arrive," replied the nurse.
 
Sally took the hint. "I was going to get you to come straight to the emergency entrance but it's too risky, too many people around. Get Trowa to drive around the back to the delivery bay, I'll meet you there."
 
"Delivery bay?" Nurse Brown quirked an eyebrow as she looked at Duo. "How appropriate."
 
Sally chuckled. "I guess it is. I'll see you soon."
 
"Okay. We should be there in ten now."
 
"Right. Bye."
 
"Bye." Nurse Brown closed the 'phone and looked at Duo but directed her words to Trowa. "Doctor Po said it's too risky to take Duo in through the emergency entrance, too many people around."
 
"Roger that. So, where are we going then?" asked Trowa as he made another turn.
 
"Drive around the back to the delivery bay, Doctor Po will be waiting there for us."
 
"Now I've heard it all," muttered Duo and rolled his eyes.
 
"Looks like you're not the only one with a quirky sense of humor, Duo," grinned Trowa. "Personally I think it's perfect... delivery bay..." Trowa continued to snicker away.
 
* * *
 
[Inside the Glasshouse]
 
The Major looked around the room, his sense of frustration growing. Besides himself, there was the Lieutenant, General and Corporal left representing the military. The other five were politicians and businessmen. He couldn't understand how these terrorists had managed to infiltrate the building and get through security. He would be having some serious words with the commanding officer of the soldiers assigned to prevent this sort of thing from happening. Providing he was still alive to do so, that was.
 
Right now though the Major had other, more pressing issues to deal with; keeping these civilians alive being the number one priority. The use of weaponry against the terrorists would be futile. They had semi automatics and even if the military personnel present were armed, which they weren't, they wouldn't stand a chance against them. Oh, they might manage to take out one or two of the terrorists but that would be all before they were gunned down themselves. No, this required a more subtle approach.
 
The Major cast his eyes again over the assembled group of dignitaries. Out of them all the only one that had shown any balls was the blonde guy, Winner. The Major reevaluated the young man. He knew Winner was a respected businessman, known for his sense of fair play as well as his gift of being able to talk to people; he also suspected that Winner had been one of the Gundam pilots during the war. The identities of the five had been suppressed with only a select few having been privy to the information. Now though that the war had faded into the background of most people's memories, the Gundam pilots had also faded into history. There wasn't really any reason for their identities to be made known. The Major wasn't about to voice his suspicions though. If Winner was an ex pilot then he could be a handy ally to have.
 
Quatre was also studying the situation and calling on all his tactical skills to try to keep as many of them alive as possible. He knew the government wouldn't bow to the terrorists' demands, if they were to do so it would leave the door wide open in invitation to anyone else who had a hankering to air a grudge against the governing bodies of the time. No, the government would not bow down. Quatre was pretty certain that Preventer was now involved, the call from Heero had confirmed that for him. He also had the feeling that Heero would be a part of the 'rescue' mission from Preventer. If that was the case he would need to try and figure out what plan of attack they would be likely to cook up and be prepared to assist in any way he could when the time arose.
 
Trying to appear as casual as possible, Quatre took the time to check out the room they were in, scanning it for possible entry points. Besides the main door to the conference room there were two other doors in the room. One led through to a rest room and the other to a smaller, recreation type room where they usually took their breaks and enjoyed refreshments. There was another door that led from the refreshment room back out into the hallway, allowing food and beverages to be brought in, set up and then removed without disturbing any meetings going on. Quatre wasn't sure if the terrorists had set any traps should anyone try to approach from the elevators or stairwells. Given their state of desperation he guessed they most likely had. As for surveillance... Quatre didn't notice anything on any of the terrorists to indicate a communications or observations device so he assumed they hadn't set any up. He could be wrong though, they could have planted someone in the security surveillance room thereby eliminating the need for surveillance from the conference room.
 
Quatre's head began to hurt again.
 
Having managed to get into the building and infiltrate the conference told Quatre that these guys knew pretty much what they were doing, which led him back to the thought of traps being set. If they didn't have anyone on surveillance then it was highly likely they had planted traps along the access routes to the room and were trusting in those to alert them to any possible infiltration attempt. If that was the case and knowing how Heero worked from their days back in the war, the Japanese man would be taking no chances. He would be looking for the quickest, safest and shortest route in. Hopefully Heero had managed to understand his cryptic message and if so the agent would be looking for alternative routes than the stairs and elevators.
 
There was a chance that Heero would come in from the roof, if the terrorists had come up from the bottom floor then it was unlikely that traps had been set on the floors above. It was pure speculation but with nothing else to occupy his time, Quatre needed something to keep his mind active and this was by far the best way. Quatre very much doubted that a rescue attempt would come via the doorways so that left the windows or... Quatre's gaze drifted upwards and over the ceiling to pause at a small vent. He scanned the rest of the ceiling, noting a second vent.
 
Of course. The air conditioning ducts.
 
Quatre mentally whacked himself for not having thought of that before. It made perfect sense. The ducts were large enough for someone of Heero's slender frame to move through and access every room in the building. Given the size of the conference room there were two ducts. Quatre was pretty certain that if any attempt was made by Preventer to take out the terrorists and rescue the hostages it would be coming from the air conditioning ducts.
 
Keeping his features as neutral as possible, Quatre sat back to figure out how best he would be able to assist when the time came, one eye on the ducts and one on the terrorists.
 
Jackson continued to pace from time to time, pausing occasionally to glance out of the broken window at the scene below. He could make out the people held back by police tape and just to the side he could see the television van with the body of the sergeant being removed. Further over he could make out a second television van but couldn't see the television crew he assumed were down there somewhere.
 
The cell 'phone in his pocket began to ring.
 
* * *
 
[Preventer Jeep]
 
Wufei swung the jeep around another corner and came up against a rather interesting scene. Crowds were gathered around, the local police keeping them at a safe distance from the building. The road was blocked off and as Wufei approached the cordoned off section of the road so an officer stepped into the road to stop them.
 
"I'm afraid you will have to turn around and go back. This area is closed off to all traffic."
 
Wufei pulled his Preventer badge out and showed it to the officer. "Agent Fire from Preventer, I believe you have been instructed by my commanding officer to let us through?"
 
The officer took the ID and looked it over, glancing back at Wufei to confirm the identity. "There's only two of you?" he asked, the incredulity in his voice.
 
"Yes, there is. Is that a problem, Officer?" Heero snapped.
 
"Could be," replied the officer, completely unfazed by Heero's reply. "I thought there would be more Preventer agents for a job like this. Those terrorists mean business and in my opinion it's going to take more than two of you to stop this charade. Besides, aren't you both a little young for this?"
 
"We happen to be the best agents in Preventer, Officer," stated Wufei, a little tartly. "Now, would you be so kind as to move the road block enough for us to get through and commence our assigned task before we have any further casualties to add to the list?"
 
"Errr..."
 
"I'm sure you wouldn't like Commander Une to report you to your captain for obstructing the course of justice, now would you?" Wufei couldn't keep the sharp edge from his voice. He was becoming a little tired of the officer's reluctance to let them through. They had a job to do and he wanted to get in and get it done as quickly as possible. Time wasn't on their side.
 
"Either you move the road block now and let us get on with our job or I will remove it for you," said Heero as he turned his cold gaze to the officer.
 
It was enough to convince the officer to move and he hastily picked up one of the blocks and moved it to the side, leaving just enough room for the jeep to pass through. Wufei accelerated and they were soon past the road block and approaching the building.
 
"Asshole," muttered Wufei.
 
Heero blinked. It was unusual to say the least for Chang to speak in such a manner; but then again, Heero was finding a lot of unusual things were happening in his life at the moment.
 
"Round the back to the undercover car park. We should be able to get in through the service entrance in the basement," said Heero as he recalled the blue prints of the building.
 
"Roger that," replied Wufei and drove the jeep in the direction of said car park.
 
* * *
 
[Preventer HQ]
 
Une strode towards the underground vehicle bay at Preventer headquarters, beside her trotted a middle aged man with glasses. He was showing the signs of his age, his hair beginning to thin, extra padding appearing around his middle but his mind was sharp. Devlin was the best negotiator Preventer had. Une had brought him up to speed, played the recorded message from Quatre and now the ball was in his court. Une stopped when she reached the parking area and cast her eyes around. Several Preventer agents were standing around by the large transport van awaiting orders. Seeing their Commander approaching they all fell into a line and waited.
 
Une was quick to address them, briefing them on the situation and outlining their role in it. Having made her speech she handed them over to Agent Winter who took over and proceeded to define their specific roles and then had everyone climb aboard the transport van for departure. As the van disappeared so the vehicle bay fell into silence once again and Une turned back to Devlin.
 
"Right, you're with me and we're heading out to the hostage scene. Agent Winter will have set up the command post by the time we get there. I want you to go back over everything that has been said so far, the recorded messages, the demands, Mr. Winner's brief, encrypted message and the footage we have on tape from the media coverage. When we get there I will give you the number of the cell 'phone contact for the terrorists. I don't care what you do, what you say, but you use all your skills to stall these guys for as long as is necessary for my agents to infiltrate and take these bastards down."
 
Devlin nodded. "I understand completely."
 
"Good." Une hopped into her Preventer allocated vehicle and buckled up. Devlin did the same. Une handed the negotiator a small palm top. "Everything is in there, any questions, ask. Doesn't mean you're going to get an answer though."
 
Taking the palm top, Devlin turned it on and began to scan through the scant information they had. There really wasn't a great deal there to work with.
 
Une gunned the engine and drove out of the car park, heading for the Glasshouse.
 
"Do you know who these people are?" asked Devlin.
 
"Not as yet. I have someone working on that back at HQ. At this stage all I can assume is given the demands made and the nature of the people they want released, they would have to be connected in some way with the former OZ alliance."
 
"Hmmm..." Devlin rubbed the side of his nose. "There's not a whole lot here to work with. It would help a great deal if we had some background information on them. I wonder?"
 
That got Une's attention and her eyes flicked briefly from the road to the negotiator. "What?"
 
"There is a television station involved, correct?"
 
"Yes. Channel 9 has been broadcasting the situation, don't know why the other channels haven't... Ahhh." Une's mind began to tick over. "You think?"
 
Devlin nodded. "If Channel 9 is the only one broadcasting at this stage then they would have had to have had a tip off. My guess is that the terrorists or someone in the room called the television station."
 
"That would make sense," replied Une.
 
"It's a long shot but I'd suggest we call the television station and talk to them, they may be able to give us some extra information on these people."
 
"Devlin, I like the way your mind works," grinned Une.
 
Devlin smiled. "All part of the service."
 
Une punched a few numbers on her car 'phone and waited for the call to connect.
 
"Preventer Headquarters."
 
"This is Commander Une. Put me through to intelligence at once."
 
"Security clearance, please."
 
Une punched a sequence of numbers into the keypad.
 
"Thank you, Commander. Putting you through now."
 
The line went quiet for a moment before another voice came over the speaker.
 
"Intelligence here, Commander."
 
"Alder, is that you?"
 
"Yes, Commander."
 
"Good, just the man I wanted. The search for information on the terrorists, any luck?"
 
"Not as yet, Commander."
 
"I have something new to try. We believe that the television station, STW 9 may have been given a tip off from the terrorists themselves. I want you to contact them and get any and all details of possible contact. I don't care what means you use to get it, just get it."
 
"On it now, Commander. I'll contact you back as soon as I have a result from the call."
 
"Thank you, Alder. Go through the com unit though as I will be exiting the vehicle shortly."
 
"Will do, Commander. Alder out."
 
Une pressed the 'end' button on the keypad. "Keep your fingers crossed, Devlin," she said and silently prayed that the negotiator's hunch would prove to be right and that they could glean some information from the television station.
 
* * *
 
[Preventer Delivery Bay]
 
Trowa drove the sedan down the small entrance way to the Preventer delivery bay area. He spotted Sally pacing along the raised concrete section where trucks could back up to in order to deliver their goods. He swung the car around and brought it to a smooth halt beside the ramp that led down one side. No sooner had he cut the engine than Sally was down the ramp and opening the back door of the car.
 
"How is he?" Sally asked as her eyes scanned the pregnant man.
 
"He is doing okay at this stage, but he would feel a whole lot better if he had something to make these contractions stop," growled Duo. "I would appreciate it if you wouldn't talk as if I wasn't here."
 
Sally chuckled. "Sorry, Duo. Shall we try that again? How are you feeling?" Sally stepped back a little to allow Duo room to maneuver his bulk out of the car.
 
"All things considered I'm doing just fine and dandy. Ow!"
 
"What?! Another contraction?" asked Sally in a worried voice.
 
"No, I hit my elbow on the car door. Shit, that hurt." Duo rubbed his elbow.
 
Sally gave a sigh of relief.
 
"I'm not getting into that," Duo stated and then pouted as Trowa, who had gotten out of the car first, retrieved the wheelchair Sally had sitting at the top of the ramp and brought it up to Duo for the man to sit in.
 
"Yes, you are," replied Sally firmly.
 
"I can walk," objected Duo.
 
"I know you can, but..."
 
"No. I'm not helpless." Duo folded his arms across his chest in defiance.
 
Trowa found the whole situation quite amusing, as did the nurse. "Five bucks says Duo walks in," Trowa whispered to the nurse.
 
Nurse Brown raised an eyebrow. "You're on. Five bucks says Doctor Po will have him wheeled in."
 
"Duo. If you don't get into this chair and let me wheel you in..."
 
"You'll do what? I'm pregnant, Sally, not injured," snapped Duo.
 
"You will be injured if you're not careful," came the low reply.
 
Duo snorted. "I might have a belly on me but I can still defend myself."
 
"It isn't me that's going to injure you," smiled Sally.
 
"Eh?"
 
"The longer you remain in an upright position, the more the forces of gravity are at work. Understand?"
 
Duo shook his head.
 
"Think about it, Duo. This baby wants to be born. The only way out is currently pointing downwards. Gravity will assist in the pull of the baby towards the exit. Now do you follow?"
 
Duo swallowed. Sally was right. The force of gravity would be assisting in the pull of the baby downwards and that meant exerting more pressure on his already overtaxed and fragile system. His back was aching already and his belly felt like a ton weight. He sighed as his shoulders slumped in defeat. "All right."
 
"Good. That's being sensible." Sally tucked a blanket around Duo, covering his belly from any prying eyes. "Let's get you inside and through to the ward. I've got all the equipment there so we can check both you and the baby out thoroughly and see what we can do about stopping these contractions."
 
"Oh, yes. By all means stop them," groaned Duo as he felt the twinge of another pain beginning in his gut.
 
"I'll do my best, Duo." Sally turned to Trowa and the nurse. "Could you bring his bag please?"
 
"I believe you owe me five bucks," said the nurse as she closed the car doors.
 
"You'll get it," replied Trowa as he fetched Duo's bag from the trunk.
 
"I only take cash," stated the nurse as they began to walk up the ramp behind Sally who was pushing Duo.
 
Trowa stopped in mid stride and gazed at the nurse, then he laughed and shook his head. "I wouldn't dare give you anything less than cash."
 
"Good. I hate those check things. Too rubbery."
 
"Rubbery?" questioned Trowa.
 
"Yes, rubbery. They have a habit of bouncing." The nurse walked on, leaving a stunned Trowa gaping in disbelief behind her.
 
Just when did the nurse get a sense of humor?
 
~ * ~
 
tbc.......