Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Chimaera ❯ Chapter 125 ( Chapter 125 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

"Chimaera"
 
October. 2003 ShenLong
 
 
 
Chapter 125
 
Sally left to fetch the others and while she was gone, Heero handed the baby back to Duo. "Had enough of him already, daddy?" said Duo with a grin as he took his son into his arms.
 
Heero gave a soft glare. "No, I thought you might like to hold him for a while seeing as how you haven't had much of a chance to with all the other stuff going on."
 
"Thanks." Duo's eyes softened as he looked at the now sleeping face of the infant. Gently he cradled the baby in his arms, instinctively rocking the small form.
 
Heero couldn't help the smile as he watched his husband with their son. Never had Heero felt more proud or protective of his family.
 
Family.
 
The word struck a chord deep inside Heero and he couldn't help the sudden catch to his breath as he realized that he now had something he'd always longed for and yet never had the pleasure of experiencing himself; a family. He'd never known his parents and knew Duo didn't remember his either. He vowed then and there that Keitaro would never want for anything. All the parental love, affection and attention that had been denied both himself and Duo when they were kids would be showered upon their son. Suddenly Heero had a new found understanding of the peace they had fought so hard for and now strived to maintain. The peace was for the children, so they would never have to know the horrors of war, never have to suffer the grief at losing someone dear to them. Keitaro would be able to grow up in a world of love, happiness and the peace his parents and the others had fought so hard to attain.
 
Looking at Duo holding their son so tenderly, the light of love shining in his eyes brought a lump to Heero's throat and he made a silent promise to keep them both safe and happy. The sounds of people entering the room drew him from his deep thoughts and Heero pushed them to the side for the moment. There would be time for reflection later.
 
Wufei was the first to enter, followed closely by Trowa pushing Quatre in a wheelchair. G and Sally brought up the rear. Immediately the other three ex-pilots surrounded the bed and peered at Duo and the baby before launching into their questions.
 
"Is it a boy or a girl?"
 
"What's its name?"
 
"Are you okay, Duo?"
 
"What was the birth like?"
 
Duo's eyes went from one man to the next, his grin never leaving his face as the questions rained down on him. When they all stopped to take a breath, Duo spoke. "My friends, Heero and I have a son," he began softly and then folded the blanket back a little to reveal the baby's face. "Guys, meet Keitaro Mareo Yuy-Maxwell."
 
Three men strained forwards to catch their first glimpse of their 'nephew'.
 
"He's so tiny," said Trowa.
 
"Of course he is," replied Duo. "How big did you think he would be?"
 
"Ummm... It's just that you were so... well... huge. I guess I expected him to be bigger than this," said Trowa as he flushed a little.
 
Duo laughed. "There wasn't just Keitaro in there, buddy. There was also the fluid and other stuff."
 
"Yeah, I guess so." Trowa gave a sheepish smile.
 
"Is he..." began Wufei.
 
"Is he what, Wufei?" Duo turned his attention to the Chinese man.
 
"Is he... You know... Okay? I mean he looks a little sort of red and wrinkly."
 
"I'll have you know that is a healthy, beautiful baby boy, Chang," growled Sally, saving Duo from answering as she could see the braided man's stunned expression and knew that anything that came out of his mouth was likely to be less than complimentary. Besides, Yuy looked as if he would get up and deck Chang any minute if he made another comment like that about his son and Sally didn't feel like patching Chang up a second time.
 
"All babies look like that to begin with. It takes a few hours for their skin to smooth out completely and take on the usual pink tone," said the nurse as she appeared in the room. "Have you ever taken a bath or stayed in a swimming pool for any length of time?"
 
Wufei nodded.
 
"Notice how your skin tends to prune after a while?"
 
Wufei nodded again.
 
"This baby has been floating in fluid for the last eight months."
 
"Ah. Point taken." Wufei thought it best to shut up now and keep any further comments to himself. He really didn't need two onnas ganging up on him.
 
"He's perfect, Duo," said Quatre as his eyes took on a dreamy look. "Congratulations to you both."
 
"I second that. Congratulations." Trowa shook Heero by the hand and placed a kiss to Duo's forehead. "I'm sorry I wasn't more help to you."
 
"Trowa, you were great. I dread to think what would have happened if you hadn't been there to keep me calm," said Duo quietly as he gave the Latin a smile of appreciation.
 
"I am also in your debt, Trowa. Thank you for taking care of my husband and child for me," added Heero.
 
"It is I who should be thanking you, Heero. You gave me a promise and you didn't let me down. I owe my husband's life to you." Trowa turned slightly and looked at Wufei. "And to you also, Chang."
 
Heero gave a small nod of recognition.
 
"Just promise me you will keep that blonde menace away from drugs and we will call it quits," gruffed Wufei.
 
Trowa smiled. "Deal."
 
"If everyone has finished thanking everyone else could I be allowed to hold my nephew?" asked Quatre. He turned his baby blues on Duo, knowing full well that the expression he was wearing was pretty much irresistible.
 
Duo looked from Quatre to Heero, a little concerned as the blonde only had the use of one arm. Trowa stepped forwards though. "I'll assist him to hold the baby, no harm will come to the child, you have my word."
 
Relieved, Duo gave a bright smile. "Of course you can, Quat."
 
Heero reached out and took the small bundle from Duo, then turning, he passed the child to Quatre who took him gently in his arm, Trowa assisting to position the child safely and hovering with one arm also beside the child should his intervention for whatever reason become necessary. Quatre cuddled Keitaro close while Trowa's fingers hovered over the blanket, pulling the edge back just a little more so he could see Keitaro clearly.
 
"He's simply, gorgeous, Duo," Quatre cooed. "Aren't you, Keitaro? You're a sweet baby, yes, you are." Quatre continued to whisper endearments to the child as he rocked him slowly in his arm, love shining in his eyes.
 
Trowa continued to crouch beside the wheelchair and softly ran his fingers over the baby's forehead and cheek. Keitaro opened his mouth in a wide yawn and then snuggled back into his blanket. "Perfect, just perfect," he said softly as he studied the infant.
 
Not wanting to be left out, Wufei also came closer and leaned over, studying the child with interest. "You know," he began, "it's hard to believe that something so tiny and perfect could come from a union between you two."
 
"And what exactly is that supposed to mean?" asked Duo with an edge to his voice.
 
Realizing that his words were about to be taken the wrong way, Chang was quick to reiterate. "What I mean is, when you look at this tiny infant it seems hard to believe that he was created by two other humans; birth truly is a miracle. Does that make sense?"
 
Duo was quick to pick up on exactly what it was Wufei was trying to say and he had to agree. He found it very hard to comprehend that Keitaro was the result of Heero's and his love. "Surprisingly enough, it does, Wuffers."
 
"It's Wufei!"
 
"Okay, okay, don't get your knickers in a knot, Uncle Wuffy."
 
Wufei resisted the urge to strangle the American with his braid.
 
Sally's cell 'phone rang and the doctor moved to the side of the room to answer it, the men continued in their joint admiration of the new addition. Folding the 'phone, Sally tucked it back in her pocket and approached the group. "That was Commander Une. She will be here in about fifteen minutes and she didn't sound too happy. She mentioned something about a police car, 'phone and a hopping mad police sergeant."
 
The sudden silence became oppressive
 
Heero looked at Wufei who in turn looked at Quatre. Quatre looked back at Wufei and then to Heero. Wufei looked at Heero and then up at the ceiling. Trowa looked at Duo and Duo looked from the three other men back to Trowa who shrugged his shoulders.
 
"Someone want to tell us what's going on here?" asked Duo.
 
"Want me to call that lawyer now, Chang?" smirked Quatre.
 
Wufei simply growled and glared at the blonde. "It was all for a good cause."
 
Trowa put his hand in the air. "Okay, time out," he said quietly but firmly. "I think you three owe Duo and I an explanation."
 
"I'd like to know what's going on too," said Sally as she edged closer.
 
Seeing there was no way out, Wufei gave a long sigh, took a deep breath, and then began to tell the others of the circumstances leading to their flight from the Glasshouse.
 
"Let me get this straight. You hot wired a police car?" Duo's eyes were wide.
 
"It was the only available means of fast transport," Wufei defended himself.
 
"Une is going to have you by the balls," snickered Duo. "But I'll give you credit for a sneaky move. I trained you well, grasshopper."
 
"If we had waited for the ambulance, Yuy wouldn't have made it here in time for the birth."
 
"The lights and sirens were effective," offered Quatre.
 
"At least with those on people would have sense enough to get out of your way," said Sally. "I suppose it was a blessing in one way that Quatre did manage to find the buttons for them, heaven knows how psychotic Une would have been if you had damaged a 'borrowed' police car."
 
The silence once more weighed heavily in the room and Wufei shifted uncomfortably.
 
"You didn't?" Sally whispered.
 
Wufei gave her a look.
 
"You did. Oh shit."
 
"It's only a small dent and scrape to the front fender..."
 
"Better pass him the baby to hold. I think even Une would draw the line at attacking a man with a child," Sally stated.
 
"Oh no. No way is he holding my son with Une on the warpath," began Heero. "Pass Keitaro here please, Quatre."
 
Reluctantly, Quatre allowed Trowa to take the infant from him and return the child to his father.
 
"Whoa, hang on there a minute, Heero," began Duo. "If Une is on the warpath she's going to be just as pissed at you as she is at Wuffers."
 
"So? I think I can take anything Une has to dish out," stated Heero flatly.
 
"Not with my son in your arms you won't."
 
Trowa snickered at the look on Heero's face.
 
Heero had sense enough to know when he was beaten.
 
"Look, let Wufei hold him for a few minutes. Une won't be here for another ten or so and I'd hate to see Wuffy reach his demise without having held his nephew," said Duo with a cheeky grin.
 
"All right." Heero turned to the Chinese agent and held the baby out. "Be careful."
 
Wufei looked a little stunned as he took the infant gingerly into his arms. He gazed down at the small face as he tried to sort out just how he was supposed to hold this little being. Duo couldn't help the smirk as he watched Chang struggle. Obviously the dark haired man had never held a child before. Wufei looked completely at a loss as how to proceed. Luckily Sally stepped in and helped the man out.
 
"Here, cradle him in your arms like this," she said as she positioned Keitaro in Wufei's arms. "That way you're supporting his head and spine. You can hold him a little tighter, he's not made of glass and babies like to feel secure. Not too tight! That's better."
 
Within a couple of minutes, Wufei began to relax. The child felt comfortable in his arms and he couldn't help but peer at the small face. The newborn's eyes opened and blinked, then the mouth curved in what appeared to be a small smile. "He smiled at me," said Wufei softly, his face taking on a look of awe.
 
"Probably just wind," snickered Heero.
 
Wufei ignored the comment and continued to stare at the child. He was completely hypnotized by the baby, a swell of emotions bursting through him that he wasn't aware he could feel. As he carefully studied the small form his fingers brushed lightly over the baby's crown, marveling at the softness of the downy hair that lay over the pink skin.
 
Sally watched with an amused smile and gently nudged Margaret who was standing beside her also watching Wufei interact with Keitaro. "I think someone's getting clucky," she whispered.
 
"You could be right," replied the nurse. "Better watch yourself if he is," she added with an innocent look.
 
Sally turned red. "I think I'll pretend I didn't hear that."
 
Keitaro suddenly screwed up his face and gave a soft grunt.
 
"What? What's he doing?" asked Wufei with a touch of panic in his voice as the baby's face began to turn a little red and a couple more grunts escaped. Another sound followed, sort of a wet, air passing through water type noise.
 
Nurse Brown moved to stand beside Wufei and try to see what had the Chinese man worried. "I'm not sure, but I think he might be..."
 
A strong, pungent odor began to rise around Wufei.
 
"... filling his diaper."
 
Wufei gave a groan.
 
***
 
Une pulled up at Preventer Headquarters and parked her car in her designated bay. She'd passed the stolen cop car as she'd pulled in and her annoyance had risen. Having bid Devlin good evening and informed the negotiator she would meet with him on the 'morrow for debriefing, she locked her car and walked back out to the front of the building and the abandoned police car. The lights were still flashing but mercifully the siren had stopped. Carefully she checked the car over, the line between her brows deepening as she took in the overall appearance of the patrol car. With a final look, she closed the driver's door which had been left open in the occupant's hasty evacuation, and turned towards the hospital entrance. Straightening her spine, she walked determinedly into the hospital and through the corridors to the isolation block.
 
It didn't take her long to reach the secured doors and she fished in her pocket for her security pass card. Swiping it through the electronic locking system, there was an audible click and then the doors released. Pushing them open, Une stepped through and continued on her way. A couple of corridors later and she knew she was almost at her destination, the sounds of voices up ahead led her on and she frowned as snatches of conversation came her way.
 
"Ewww... That's rank."
 
"Did you have to, Wufei?"
 
"I always said Wufei's attitude was enough to give you the shits," quipped Duo.
 
"It wasn't..."
 
"A little shit ain't gonna hurt you..."
 
Une wondered what the hell they were all going on about and soon had her answer as she stepped inside the small recovery room. A red faced Wufei was standing to one side passing something over to a nurse while the rest of the guys appeared to be teasing the agent. Sally was laughing as she watched. Une cleared her throat.
 
It had the desired effect.
 
"What is going on in here?" asked Une as her eyes raked over the people in the room.
 
"Ah, Commander Une," said Sally as she swiftly crossed the room to intercept the woman. "It seems you have caught us at an awkward moment."
 
"So it would appear."
 
"The baby has just decided to pass his first bowel motion and I'm afraid it caught Agent Fire a little unaware."
 
"And the diaper," added Quatre.
 
"The blanket wasn't too absorbent either," sniggered Duo.
 
Une looked across to where Wufei was washing his hands and scrubbing at a spot on the surgical scrubs he wore, soft curses in Chinese coming from under his breath as he worked to remove the stain. She couldn't help the small smile from tugging at her lips. It would appear there was some small measure of justice in the world after all.
 
"Is everything cleaned up at the Glasshouse?" asked Heero. He thought it best to get the Commander back on track and get the bawl out session over and done with as soon as possible.
 
Une's eyes flashed back to the agent. "If Agent Fire has finished with his ablutions I will brief you all on the situation as it stands now."
 
Tossing the towel to the laundry bag, Wufei walked back over to the rest of the group, giving Nurse Brown a wide berth where she was currently changing and cleaning up Keitaro; there were some aspects to babies that Wufei wasn't all that keen to know about.
 
With the group all assembled, Une began to fill them in on the events that had occurred after their departure.
 
F Troop had secured the room and done a complete sweep of the twelfth floor for any further explosive devices. Fortunately they had found none. The terrorists had been brought out and given an antidote for the drug. As they had begun to come around so Une had begun to question them, basic questions at that moment in time, the more in-depth questioning would be carried out at headquarters where recordings of the confessions and all the details of the attack would be made in preparation for the court hearing. The terrorists had all been informed of their rights but once they knew Jackson was out of the picture they crumpled like a house of cards and spilled their guts. "Reminds me of playground bullies," mused Une. "Take away the ring leader and the rest are cowards."
 
"What about Jackson?" asked Quatre. He had a good idea that the man would not have survived the fall but given that he'd been somewhat preoccupied with trying to stay alive himself at the time, he hadn't taken much notice of any conversation that had occurred regarding Jackson.
 
"He's dead. Body is in Preventer morgue awaiting autopsy report to confirm the cause of death."
 
"I'd say it was pretty straight forward. He died as the result of a fall from the twelfth floor," snapped Wufei. "Too good for the likes of him if you ask me."
 
"Ah, Chang." Une turned and rounded on the agent. "I believe there is the small matter of a stolen police car we need to discuss."
 
Wufei paled a little and Heero tried to stifle the snicker.
 
Une turned to Heero. "I don't know what you find so amusing, Agent Day. Grand theft auto is a serious charge as is grand theft cell 'phone; especially when that cell 'phone belongs to your commanding officer."
 
Heero froze, Wufei snickered. Silently, Heero reached into a pocket of the combat suit and extracted the cell 'phone. He handed it to the Commander.
 
"Thank you. I trust you didn't abuse the 'phone by making calls all over the place?"
 
"I only called Sally and I will reimburse you for the cost of the call."
 
"I would expect you to," replied Une as she took the 'phone and placed it into her own pocket. "As for you, Agent Fire. I thought I told you to be careful with the police car? And while we are on the subject, why a police car? And where the hell did you learn to hot wire a vehicle?"
 
"I apologize for commandeering a patrol car but under the circumstances I really didn't have much choice. The ambulance was going to take too long and knowing how slow those guys drive, Maxwell would have delivered the child and Yuy would be lucky to make it in time for the kid's twenty-first birthday."
 
"Okay, I can accept that explanation, but why a cop car? There were plenty of other vehicles you could have used."
 
"It made sense to use the fastest means of transport. By using a patrol car I could get Yuy here much faster, also I would be less likely to be stopped by another police car. "
 
"I thought I told you not to put a scratch on the car either. Now I see there's a bloody great dent and scrape to the front fender."
 
"Ah, well, I can explain that."
 
"That would have been my fault, Commander," Quatre butted in.
 
"Your fault?"
 
"Yes. I was only trying to help and pushed a few buttons on the dash board. I managed to get the lights and sirens to work which helped clear the road a bit but then I sort of found the button to the loud hailer. I'm afraid I may have gotten a little carried away when requesting that people clear the road. I think I scared an elderly gentleman because he swerved in front of us and despite all of Wufei's defensive driving skills, we clipped the back of his car."
 
Une translated that to, Chang having applied the brakes rather severely and no doubt taken several kilometers off the tire's tread, had still managed to hit the guy. "Great! Not only is Preventer going to have one hell of a job convincing a magistrate that the theft of the vehicle was necessary but we're possibly going to have a lawsuit on our hands for scaring the shit out of the public as well. I'll tell you now, Chang, the repair bill for the damage to the cop car will be coming out of your wages. We are supposed to be keeping the peace, not disturbing it!"
 
"I am quite prepared to pay for any damages," said Wufei quietly.
 
"I will pay for any damages," said Quatre firmly. "It was my fault, not Wufei's. Also if the police wish to press charges against us for taking the patrol car I am quite prepared to engage a lawyer to defend all three of us. Besides, after what Heero and Wufei did inside the Glasshouse the police and public should be thanking them, not condemning them."
 
"It just so happens that I agree with you, Winner. However, all I can do is talk to the police department." Une's voice softened a little. "I'm pretty sure after I explain all the circumstances the police won't press charges."
 
"Thank you," said Wufei.
 
"That doesn't mean I'm still not pissed at you though."
 
"Ah." Wufei closed his mouth and opted to keep his silence.
 
Nurse Brown had finished changing Keitaro and wrapped the infant in a fresh blanket before bringing him back to the group and placing him in Duo's arms. Duo immediately cuddled the baby close, his eyes shining as he held his son. He became aware of Une's presence shifting closer and he turned to face the Commander.
 
"May I?" asked Une as she smiled at the pair.
 
"Sure," replied Duo and handed the baby over. "His name is Keitaro."
 
Une gently took the child into her arms and gazed down at him. "He's lovely," she said softly as she rocked Keitaro. After a few moments she handed the baby back. "I have to go and file a report. Chang, Yuy, I expect your reports on my desk asap."
 
Both men sighed.
 
"After that you are both on leave. Yuy, you have paternity leave owing to you; Chang, you will take two weeks sick leave effective immediately." Une turned and in a rare display she shook both Heero's and Duo's hands. "Congratulations. You have a lovely son."
 
To say the pair were stunned would be an understatement.
 
Une turned and left, pausing momentarily in the doorway. "Thank you, Agents Day and Fire. You performed your duties exceptionally well. I am proud to call you Preventer agents. Winner, we owe you a debt of gratitude for the part you played in bringing this fiasco to an end without further casualties. Take care of that baby, Maxwell, and good luck." Words spoken, Une left.
 
Quatre summed up the whole meeting with one word.
 
"Wow."
 
~ * ~
 
To be concluded...