Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Demon of Justice ❯ Chapter 2

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Demon of Justice
Chapter 2

AUTHOR BABBLE

MEL: Gaaaaah... I hate trying to think up names! It's the hardest part of writing stuff, I swear. That's why I try not to name characters that I know I'm going to kill off quickly -- names are too precious to waste on them!

CHRISTY: Well, my idea's always been that you pick a name, even if it's a character name from a book, and then you just... change a few letters. Nobody has to know.

WUFEI: That's... that's injustice! Onna! Names are important--

CHRISTY: Shut up, Dragon Boy. It's not like YOU have to think up the names.

DUO: Oooo, C-chan's in a testy mood.

CHRISTY: Lack of chocolate and caffeine. Grrr.

MEL: I'm not really concerned about the justice or otherwise of that method... but I can't use it.

CHRISTY: Why not?

MEL (points out at readers): They heard you.

CHRISTY: Um... um... I didn't say that! Um, guys, I didn't say anything like that! Duo, tell them I didn't say that.

DUO: Er... I run, I hide, but I never lie. I'm _so_ outta here. <zip>

CHRISTY (yelling after him): RIGHT! SEE IF I EVER TELL MEL TO WRITE YOU A LIME SCENE! Heero, I've been nice to you, tell them I didn't say it!

HEERO: Ninmu ryoukai. (glares and pulls gun on readers) She didn't say it. Understood?

CHRISTY: Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeroooo~! You saved me! (glomps him)

DUO (offstage): Hey! When did Relena arrive?

HEERO: ... (translation: 'Trowa? Save me!')

TROWA: ... (translation: 'You got yourself into this, now get yourself out.')

QUATRE: *giggle*

MEL: Before this gets any weirder... and before my writing partner loses what braincells she has left... on with the fic!

-----------------------------------------------
DEMON OF JUSTICE
CHAPTER 2

-----------------------------------------------

The living room was quiet except for a soft murmur from the TV, sound turned down low, and the -takatakataka- of the keys on Heero's laptop. Trowa, having sent off messages to the five doctors, was surfing the news channels for any mention of their battle; Heero had hacked into an OZ computer and was searching for any mention of Wufei's presumed capture.

"Anything?"

Heero's eyes flicked up from his screen momentarily. "Not yet. They took serious losses in the fight -- mostly due to the explosion. They're still tallying up the damage."

"Ah."

"You?"

"The explosion's been reported, with speculation on what could have caused it. The current theory is a train crash involving volatile cargo."

Heero snorted. "Well, the train crashed... and the cargo was certainly explosive."

It was hard to tell in the flickering light from the TV screen, but Trowa might have smiled at that. Just a little.

Heero looked back at his laptop, fingers flying over the keys. He was running his searches on autopilot, though; his mind was very definitely elsewhere.

*"Mmm... tha'ss good, Heero. Wish I had the guts to do that in real life... but you'd prob'ly kill me. Guess I'll just have to settle for dreams, huh?"*

*...*

*Duo kissed me.*

*Why did he do that?*

Part of Heero's mind gave him an answer. *'Maybe he likes you.'*

*...*

*'Admit it; you like him too.'*

*He's... a friend. That's all.*

*'Think about it. He rooms with you all the time. He spends most of his time with you -- more than with the others. He keeps trying to get you to do things with him. He touches you every chance he gets...'*

*'...he says he loves you.'*

Heero came up with an objection to that one quickly. *He just does that to be annoying.*

*'Are you sure? He did say he wanted to kiss you "in real life".'*

*He's concussed!*

*'But he never lies.'*

*...*

*'Admit it. You liked it. And you didn't want him to stop.'*

Trowa looked up from checking his computer. "Heero."

"Hn?" Heero answered almost eagerly, glad of any distraction from the path his thoughts were taking.

"Time to wake Duo up again."

Some distraction THAT was.

"...you do it."

*'Oh, now that's facing the issue boldly, isn't it?'*

----------

Trowa slipped silently into the bedroom, moving immediately to check on Quatre. The blonde boy was sleeping peacefully, curled up hugging his pillow, covers kicked down and tangled around his legs.

Trowa's mouth quirked into the faintest possible smile. He was... intimately acquainted with Quatre's sleeping habits, and was used to waking up in winter with no blankets, or being nearly choked as his lover used him as a big huggy toy. He gently untwisted the blankets and pulled them up, smoothing his fingertips over Quatre's cheek as he stirred and muttered something incoherent. The beginning frown melted into a little smile as Quatre sighed and slipped back into deep sleep, reassured.

Assured that his lover was resting comfortably, Trowa straightened and moved to the other bed. Duo was flat on his back, one arm thrown over his head, other hand clutching his braid. Trowa examined the areas visible above the blankets, and came to the same conclusion Heero had; the left cheek was the only undamaged part.

<patpat> "Duo. Wake up."

Pause. No response.

<patpat> "Duo."

"Mmmh..." Without opening his eyes, Duo reached up and wound his arms around Trowa's neck, pulling him down into a warm embrace. Green eyes widened as Trowa suddenly found Duo's face very close to his own.

"Nnn... Heero..." Violet eyes opened, blinked, then widened in dismay. "Aw man... the dream changed! Trowa... change back into Heero, damnit, I want another kiss!"

Trowa blinked, bemused, as Duo first thumped his shoulder then shook him, as if he were trying 'percussive maintenance' on a stubborn TV. Finally, he gave up.

"Fuck... I can't even get lucky when I'm asleep," grumbled Duo, turning over and going back to sleep.

<<blink>><<blink>>

Trowa considered his options.

He could wake Duo up and demand an explanation; but somehow he didn't really think he needed one.

It was all rather amusing, really.

Smirking slightly, Trowa walked out, closed the door, and went back downstairs.

* * * * *

The robed man gloated up at the demon he had summoned, basking in the warm glow of a job well done. He never knew what he'd get when he reached into the void between worlds -- large, small, weak, strong, there was no way to tell. A strong sacrifice meant a strong summoning, which in its turn made it possible to get a strong demon; but there were no guarantees.

This demon was magnificent.

*I must write down every detail of what happened in this ritual,* he mused, scratching idly at a drying trickle of blood on his chin. *And I will ask the others if anything different happened during the preparations. This sacrifice was not particularly strong; yet look at the results! I must find out what made this possible.*

He stepped closer to the demon, trusting the residue of the summoning spell to keep it trapped and harmless until it could be properly bound to his service, running greedy eyes over its form. More humanoid than most, and larger than any he'd previously summoned, this demon had the form of an immense warrior clad in armour of some shiny metal, coloured blue, red and white. Or perhaps the metal was its true substance? He could see no gaps...

*I've never heard of a metal demon; but then, I've never heard of one wearing metal armour, either. Nor have I heard any rumours of demons that are undetectable by magic, and this one seems to be undetectable when it isn't calling. Once it is properly bound, I must question it... find out if there are more...*

There was a scraping sound of metal against rock as the demon shifted, tilting its head down to look at him. Its eyes glowed white, he noted, and a third glow flickered into life, coming from some sort of crest on its head.

He smiled up at it. "I'll have all your secrets soon, my pet. I'll find out how to summon more like you. What couldn't I do, with an army of your kin?"

He turned with a dramatic sweep of his arm, gesturing commandingly at his servants and soldiers.

"Prepare the second sacrifice!"

* * * * *

Wufei gazed, fascinated, at the two moons hanging in the sky.

*Well... I am certainly not on Earth any more... as if I actually needed the confirmation, after everything that has happened in the past few hours!* He shook himself and blinked, dragging his eyes away from the sight. *There will be plenty of time to stare at the sky later!* he thought, shifting the controls so that Nataku's head (and main camera) turned to survey the area directly in front of him. *Right now I have more important things to do, like finding out where I am and what is... going... on...*

He trailed off in horror, staring wide-eyed.

He was in a box canyon, Nataku sitting propped up against the end wall. He already knew that. That wasn't a problem.

The area was lit by dozens of burning torches and a few oil lamps. There was a cluster of people, some in uniform and some in tunics, pointing up at Nataku and talking excitedly. Behind them, he could see several horses, some way down the canyon, hobbled and tied to a picket line.

That wasn't a problem either.

Directly in front of Nataku's feet, staring up with an unpleasantly hungry grin, was a man wearing a long flowing robe. And behind him...

Behind him...

Wufei wrenched his eyes away, swallowing hard.

He wasn't an innocent. He'd seen death in a multitude of forms... caused much of it himself. And he'd seen the results of torture. He'd been tortured; he had even been taught, in theory, how best to go about it himself, should it ever be absolutely necessary.

When he thought about it, which wasn't often, he was very glad that it never had been necessary. He'd made threats, a time or two -- when lives were on the line -- but never had to carry them out.

But this... this went beyond anything he'd ever encountered.

His attention was drawn back to the viewscreen as the robed man said something in a smug, gloating voice, then turned and called loudly to the cluster of people. Several broke away from the group; two, in tunics, moved to the slab of rock behind the robed man, and started to untie the ropes that still bound the tattered remains there. Three, in uniform, moved to a shadowed area by the canyon wall.

Wufei's head snapped up as a definitely feminine voice rose, yelling. From the tone, he _didn't_ think she was being polite. Another, more frightened voice joined in... then he saw them, as the men (soldiers?) dragged them into the light. Two girls, barefoot and wearing shin-length plain dresses, hands tied behind their backs. One was considerably taller than the other -- taller than the men holding her, in fact -- and had...

...long, pointed, furry ears?!

He rubbed his eyes, then looked again. Yes, the girl was well over six feet tall and had long, pointed, furry ears. Now that he thought of it, a couple of the soldiers were... overlarge... as well...

The robed man pointed at the taller girl, and the two soldiers began to drag her towards the now-vacant stone slab. Wufei snarled, snapping out of his dazed state. "Chikushou -- what am I doing?! Just sitting here watching? Fuck that!"

Green smoky light coiled around Nataku's torso and legs, holding the Gundam down as it moved to stand. Wufei swore again, fighting the controls. "Kisama! Damn you -- damn you to hell, you sadistic bastard -- I won't let you--!"

The robed man grinned up at him again, insultingly, then moved to stand behind the sacrificial stone, pulling a knife from his belt and testing the edge with his thumb as the soldiers lifted the struggling girl onto the altar. The men in tunics moved in to tie her down.

Deep black eyes glared ice-cold hatred at the image in the screen as Wufei lifted his right arm to point at the robed man.

"Over your dead body."

----------

Naiya yelped, cut off in mid-curse as something huge flashed past just above her struggling body. There was a loud crunching noise, a moment's pause, then a chorus of horrified shouts and screams from the priest's men -- and suddenly she was no longer being held. Quickly, she rolled off the altar (on the side AWAY from the priest), then peered upwards and over the edge.

The priest's servants were all running, and most of the soldiers were demonstrating that military training meant they could run faster. A couple were backing away with their swords drawn, staring at something above and behind her.

Naiya turned around.

The giant demon's arm slowly moved back over her head. It was... longer, and... had more joints... and the hand was... She blinked as the briefly-glimpsed fanged head unfolded backwards and the hand reappeared, the extra joints in the arm somehow folding themselves away.

*Ha! Seems like that bastard priest doesn't have it as trapped as he thought!* Naiya laughed to herself. *He won't be happy... hm. Where is he?*

Cautiously, she peeked back over the altar, and spotted the priest almost immediately. He was sprawled on his back some distance away, arms and legs at odd angles; as she watched, he coughed up blood, gasped, and stopped breathing. As he died, so did the magic holding the giant demon prisoner -- and it stood up... and up... and up...

*Oh gods,* she thought, pressing back against the altar stone. *It's even bigger than I thought!*

----------

Wufei snarled in satisfaction as the robed man choked and died. *One girl is there, by the altar. The other -- ah, over there; they left her when they ran,* he thought as Nataku rose to her feet. *Both are well clear of danger; and I think I can safely assume that everyone else here is guilty.*

He thumbed a button on the control arm and smiled grimly as bullets spat from the ports on Nataku's head. The last soldier was cut down just meters away from the horses he had been trying to reach; it would have done him little good if he had made it, as the now-panicked beasts pulled free of their tethers and bolted.

Wufei sat back, wearing his 'Justice Has Been Served' expression.

----------

The priest had been only barely within reach of Nataku's dragon-arm, but there had been enough force in the 'punch' to fling him a considerable distance. Although Wufei took note of that with approval, he never did notice the odd thing that had happened.

His hands hadn't been on the controls when Nataku struck out.

----------

Naiya stared up at the huge demon. It had killed the priest and all his men, and now it was just... standing there. It seemed to be watching her, but nothing else.

*Well. Standing here gaping at it won't do me any good...* Naiya stood up, dusted off her skirt, scowled briefly at the bloodstains and went to look for Rami. She found the other girl huddled against a rock, weeping pathetically.

"Oh hush, Rami! What are you crying about now? I'll admit you had a reason before, when they were going to sacrifice us, but that's not how things turned out!"

Huge blue eyes, shimmering with unshed tears, looked up at her from beneath wavy golden bangs as she untied the human girl's hands. "B-but Naiya... the demon..."

"Killed the men who were going to kill us. This is a good thing, don't you think?"

"And now it's surely going to kill us! Oh Naiya, I'm scared!" Rami threw herself into Naiya's arms, sobbing theatrically.

"Rami! If it wanted to kill us, we'd already be dead!"

"Y-you mean... it wants us alive?! To-- to-- Oh noooo~! I'd rather die!"

Naiya rolled her eyes as she patted Rami's back mechanically. "Somehow I don't think we have to worry about that, dear."

Eventually, Naiya managed to calm Rami down and pry herself loose from the blonde girl's vice-like grip. She hadn't had to slap her to snap her out of hysteria, but it had been a near thing... and Naiya was keeping the option in mind.

Rami insisted on staying right behind Naiya as she moved around the canyon, stepping on the taller girl's heels a few times and clutching a fold of her dress; but she balked when Naiya started rifling through the baggage piled near where the horses had been.

"Naiya~! That's stealing!"

"They're dead, Rami, they don't need it any more. Besides, they stole most of this stuff in the first place -- some of it from us."

"But... but it's still..."

"Are you saying you don't want your necklace back?"

"No! That's -- that's different!"

Rami stayed quiet after that... at least, she did until Naiya started searching the bodies.

"Ewwwwww~! How CAN you?! That's disgusting, you haven't got any scruples at all!"

Naiya's temper snapped.

=SLAP!=

Wide blue eyes met furious brown as Rami cowered, hand pressed to her reddening cheek. When Naiya spoke, her voice was ice-cold. "No, Rami, I guess I don't have any scruples when it comes to the survival of my village."

"S-survival? I... I don't..."

"When these bastards attacked, they fired the grain fields as a distraction, remember? And they wounded a lot of the men. Some of them are dead. So we've lost a lot of the crop, and we may not have enough workers to plant a proper winter crop. We may not have enough fighters to protect what we've got left from bandits. And _that_ means we may not be able to pay our full taxes this year. We might have to choose between starving and being evicted. So if I have a chance to get some money, or something we can sell, I am going to take it even if it means going through a dead man's pockets.

"Now, if you aren't going to help, just shut up and let me work in peace."

Five minutes later, as Naiya was gingerly extracting a money pouch from inside a soldier's tunic, an extremely quiet voice spoke up behind her.

"Naiya?"

"...Yes?"

"...I'm sorry. I didn't... I... um..."

Naiya smiled slightly, not turning around. "It's all right."

"Um... I can't... um... I don't... there'ssomemorebaggageoverhereI'llsearchthatokay?" Quick footsteps pattered over to the canyon wall, away from the scattered bodies.

Naiya rolled her eyes, smile gone slightly twisted. *She's not a bad person. She's just sheltered, and vain, and romantic, and spoilt, and... ugh! Gods save me from beauty, if that's what it does to you!*

*Well... that's not entirely fair. Mana's nearly as pretty as Rami, and she's sensible. Gods save me from over-indulgent parents, then.*

*At least she's forgotten to be afraid of the demon. Scatterbrain.*

A short while later, they had a respectable collection of coins and jewellery in a large pouch. None of it was particularly valuable, but it added up to a decent total in Naiya's mental tally. *Well, our chances are a bit better now... hm. No more putting it off, I guess.* "Rami, there was a blanket in that pile, wasn't there?"

"Yes, here--"

*It's big enough. Good.* "Thank you. You... don't have to help with this, all right? Just stay here."

"Huh? What are you... oh." Rami's eyes widened as she watched Naiya walk towards the altar, unfolding the blanket; then she swallowed hard and followed, clutching the pouch like a talisman.

Naiya blinked, surprised. "Really, it's okay--"

"No," Rami said, sounding surprisingly firm. "We... weren't friends, but... that could have been me. And we didn't hate each other. I -- I won't dishonour her memory by turning away from her body."

Together, they spread the blanket over the tattered remains, and carefully tucked and rolled until they had the woman's body wrapped up neatly. They stood silently for a moment, gazing solemnly down at the bundle.

"Um... now what do we do?"

Naiya sighed, looking around. "Well, since the horses are gone, we're walking back home..."

Rami drooped. "It took over a day to get here on horseback!"

"I know. Believe me, I know," Naiya groaned, rubbing her bottom. She'd never ridden a horse before, and she definitely didn't want to repeat the experience. At least, not tied to the saddle. She sighed again. "If we build a cairn of rocks over her, we can come back later to get--"

There was a low rumbling sound, and the ground shook as the giant demon stepped towards them. Rami screamed and clutched at Naiya as it reached out--

--and stopped, crouching, with its left hand lying on the ground, palm upwards.

The two girls stared at the huge hand, then up at the demon's impassive metal face... then back at the hand. Finally, Rami whispered, "What... what's it doing? What does it want?"

"I -- I think--"

The demon made another rumbling sound, as if impatient, and reached out with its right hand. Rami screamed again and hid behind Naiya; Naiya watched wide-eyed as it carefully scooped up the blanket-wrapped body, laid it in its left palm, then pushed the left hand a little closer to them as it made a beckoning motion with the right.

"I think it wants to carry us."

"What?! No! I can't -- it's--"

"It's that or walk."

"Naiya!"

Naiya grinned down at the smaller human. "Seriously, Rami, I think it just wants to help. It saved our lives! If it really wants to hurt us, what's taking it so long?"

"What if -- if -- if it's saving us for later?"

"Do you think we can outrun it?"

"No..."

"Then I say we do what it wants and hope for the best." She stepped cautiously onto the giant palm, sat down, and held her hand out to Rami. "Coming?"

"Well... I certainly don't want to stay here..." Rami shivered, looking around at the dead bodies and blood everywhere, then stepped forward determinedly. "All right... but I swear, Naiya, if it kills us I'm going to haunt you!"

Naiya laughed, helping Rami clamber onto the hand and settle herself. "Tell you what, if it kills us we'll both haunt it, okay? I'm sure we'll be able to think of lots of things to-- eeeeeep!" She grabbed wildly for support as the hand abruptly rose, quicker than a bird taking flight.

When the world steadied around her, she opened her eyes cautiously and looked around. Rami had her arms wrapped around her waist, face buried in her back, shivering; Naiya discovered that she was sprawled flat on her face, one hand clutching the blanket. Carefully, she unclenched her fist, and edged forwards to peer between the thumb and edge of the palm.

"Oooooh... Rami?"

"Yes?" came a terrified squeak from near her kidneys.

"Don't look down."

"All I plan to look at is the back of your dress, so I can't look down-- ew! Oh no, bloodstains -- oh--" Rami dithered, torn between clutching Naiya and pulling away from the dark stains on the back of her gown.

"Look, if you just sit quietly in the middle you should be okay. There's enough room for us to... to... oh my."

"What?!"

"Um... I just found out why we're up so high."

"Wh-what do you mean?" asked Rami tremulously, peering up at her."

Naiya pointed mutely to the huge metal face, calmly observing them from not very far away at ALL. There was a short pause before she found her voice again.

"I guess... he wanted a closer look."

* * * * *

-takatakatakatakatakatakataka-

"Heero."

-takatakatak-

"Yes?"

Trowa didn't look away from the television. "Your turn."

"...what?"

"I woke Duo up last time. It's your turn."

There was a long pause, then the sound of a chair scraping backwards. And another pause, before slow footsteps went upstairs.

Trowa's smirk widened.

*Quatre would never forgive me if I disappointed Duo again.*

----------

Upstairs:

...

...

...

*'So, are you just going to stand here and watch Duo sleep?'*

...

*'It's not like you haven't done it before--'*

*SHUT UP.*

-----------------------------------------------
end chapter 1
-----------------------------------------------

MEL: Guys? You may wish to take cover.

HEERO: Hn.

WUFEI: What is it now, onna?

QUATRE: Is there a problem, Mel-san?

TROWA: ... (translation: '...')

MEL: Christy and Duo are back from their shopping trip.

(pause)

QUATRE: Oh my.

WUFEI: I... must go worship Nataku. <zip>

MEL: Heero? Where are you going?

HEERO: To blow up Wing. I haven't self-destructed yet and you're already starting Chapter 3. I'm overdue.

MEL: OH no you DON'T! You're not getting out of this that easily! You have to stay here and protect me from the Terrible Twosome.

HEERO: <glare>

MEL: Go on, say it.

HEERO: <glare>

MEL: You know you want to.

HEERO: Why would I protect one of the women who wrote me as having my Id arguing with my Superego from the OTHER one?

MEL: Because it's a mission.

HEERO: ...nngh... ninmu ryoukai, damnit.

MEL: Good boy. Now I'm going to go hide in the toilet.

QUATRE: Ano... Mel-san?

MEL: Yes, Q-chan?

QUATRE: I'm afraid you're too late. Trowa's already locked himself in.

MEL: Bugger. ...hang on. He left you out here?

QUATRE: Oh, I told him to. I've never had a real problem with Duo--

<thudthudthudTHUDTHUD*SLAM!*> "We're hoooooome!" <thud*SLAM!*>

QUATRE: --and I thought I could help contain the damage.

MEL: Your mother wasn't named Belldandy, was she?

CHRISTY: Come back here! My Errol wil FRY your Death of Rats! Face the vengeance of the Disc's first jet-propelled dragon! <clatter thump>

(Christy runs past chasing Duo. Christy has a plushy stuffed dragon hand puppet. Duo has a plushy rat skeleton in a black robe carrying a scythe, also a hand puppet.)

QUATRE: Why no, Mel-san. Why do you ask?

DUO: HA! The Death of Rats laughs at your puny SWAMP dragon! SNH, SNH, SNH! And SQUEAK for good measure! <thudCRASH>

MEL: Oh, no reason really.

(Duo and Christy run past again. Duo is chasing Christy now.)

MEL: I see Christy took Duo to the Terry Pratchett 'Discworld' convention.

QUATRE: Terry Pratchett?

<crashTHUD*gloing-oing-oing-oing-oing*> "AHA! I have you now!"

MEL: He's a very polular fantasy author. Very funny. Now that Duo's found out about him, I'm sure that the rest of you'll be forcibly exposed to all the books.

HEERO: Hn. <sigh>

<WHACKthudclatterCRASH> "Hey! No fair attacking when I'm stuck in the umbrella stand!"

QUATRE: I didn't know you had an umbrella stand, Mel-san.

MEL: Neither did I.

<thudCLATTER*ping*>

<ominous slithering sound> "Ooops..."

<even more ominous slithering sound>

DUO: TIMBERRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

CHRISTY: GANGWAY!

<thud clatter thump CLANG thudthudTHUDTHUDTHUD*CRAAAAAAAAAAAASH!*>

(pause)

CHRISTY & DUO: Sorry, Wu-maaaaan~!

WUFEI (distant but getting closer): What?! What did you-- MAXWELL! ONNA!! INJUSTICE!!!

Duo: Hey, Wu-man -- we said we were sorry! Now, don't overreact--

CHRISTY: Um, we can glue it back together--

MEL (to Heero and Quatre): I'll be locked in the bathroom if you guys need me. <zip>

QUATRE (wincing occasionally at the increasing chaos behind him): Ano... Ladies and gentlemen, we would honestly appreciate it if you could send Mel-san and Christy-san some feedback. You see, if Christy-san had had some more feedback to read and think about, she wouldn't have been bored enough to take Duo shopping while Mel-san was at work, and-- oh dear. Wufei! Wufei, please, put that down--

WUFEI: Justice WILL be served! <thudCRASH>

HEERO: Hn. (checks to make sure Quatre is gone, then pulls out his gun and levels it at the readers.) Quatre's too nice. You have a choice. Send feedback, or DIE.

To Chapter 3
Back to 'Demon of Justice'
Back to GW Main
Back to the Safe House