Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Friends Will Be Friends ❯ It's not Easy Love ( Chapter 14 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
It's Not Easy, Love.

I was furious. Absolutely and without question, furious as I stalked out of the bereavement office. So he would have never asked me on a date would he? Turning towards the A&E, I meant to leave the hospital, but I caught sight of Trowa sitting at the back, the girl he'd introduced me to asleep on his lap. What was her name again? Marie, that was it. I watched him for a moment or two, and let go of most of my anger. He looked content, or as content as Trowa looks. I'm telling you, that guy is not exactly an open book but I pride myself on my ability to read people.

In front of me I could hear the murmerings of two other agents, but I didn't know who they were. I listened to enough of what they were insinuating about Trowa and Marie, as well as speculating what may or may not have happened when they were captive to cause them to be so comfortable together to get a pretty good picture of what they thought. Trowa is not known to go in for the casual touching, slapping of shoulders and the like that many men go in for.

I walked up behind them and stuck my head between theirs.

"I suggest, gentlemen, that you don't say this kind of thing in my hearing about Trowa again. In fact, I suggest you don't say them again at all, as if I hear any rumours to this effect I'll know who's started them. And if I do hear them, I'll be forced to do something about it. Understood?" I gave them both a hard look.

They didn't look completely cowed, probably because they hand no clue who I was. I knew Trowa would know who they were though, if I described them. I'd get their names, and deal with them later if necessary. I didn't want Trowa subjected to that kind of insinuation, after all, Marie was a child, not even a teen like ourselves, and that was just icky.

In fact, last time I saw him watching Heero and Wufei spar, just before I left, I got the distinct impression that he had a deep appreciation for a fine male form, but I may be mistaken. He never reacted when Cat flirted with him last year, after all, but I've never seen him watch ladies. Then again, as I said, he's hard to read. He may have just been watching the fighting. It would be a shame though, as he's got that whole silent and mysterious air going for him. Not like Mr-I'm-The-Heir-Of-L5-And-Blue-Blooded. Trowa is, I dunno, practical? Down to earth? I've never seen anything shock the guy, he just takes everything in his stride. It's not that he's laid-back, that gives the impression that he's not very active. Unflappable? Yes, that would be closer.

"Hey. How's the arm, have they looked at it yet?"
I asked him as I went to sit down next to him. He carefully moved to look at me as he spoke.

"They haven't had time yet. It's not too serious, it's just a crease." Trowa replied quietly.

"It's a bullet wound none the less. I'm going to see if I can find Sally and ask her to take a look"

I told him as I stood. Besides, that way I could have a few words with her about the condition some of the cells had been in. I wanted her to give Trowa full checkup just to be safe. All of us tended to shy away from the medical profession out of habit, but this was not war time, and there was no reason for him to go without adequate medical care. And in the post-war world, a bullet crease was not minor anymore. It was a wound to be taken care of, not shrugged off. As I walked off, I heard a nurse call out for several people to follow her, and the A&E waiting room cleared considerably. It looked like the next shift had just come on duty and they were dealing with the backlog of people rapidly. Now, where to find Sally......

***********

Just after Duo left, a tall darkhaired man in a doctors suit entered the room, calling out for Marie. I shook her gently, and even she woke up with a start, eyes darting around until she took in where she was. The doctor called out for her again. I stood and carried her over, as she was showing no signs of getting up.

"Ah, Marie, is it?" He asked as I approached. I nodded and Marie turned her head away, not interested in the hand he held out.
"Right." he dropped his hand, sounding a bit dissapointed. "If you would just come this way?" he motioned to one of the small examination rooms. I started to follow him, but he frowned.
"I don't want to go." Marie told me.
"I can't let you accompany her." The doctor told me.
"And why is that?" I asked him, tightening my hold on Marie.

he smiled in that same condescending fashion most doctors have.
"Because I can only let the parent or guardian of an underage child be present during an examination." I stared at him. They couldn't possibly be serious? What about kids on school trips, or like now?
"So you see, I can't let you be present. Now, Marie, if you would follow me?" he motioned again. Marie turned her head his way again, and said loudly
"No. You're creepy. I'm not going with you!" and turned away again. Well, she was definately clear in her wishes.

"Marie seems quite adamant about this. Is there another doctor who could see her?" I asked. I could work on the accompanying issue later.
"I'm the pediatrician on duty currently. She will have to see me or -" he was interrupted by at least two voices.
"No!" Marie objected
"Or she can be seen by any other doctor relevantly qualified as required by hosital and goverment regulations as per her choice, isn't that right, Doctor Peterson?" came Sally Po's stern voice from behind him.

"Ah, yes, yes. Any doctor adequately qualified." Peterson amended smoothly. "However, I am the resident expert on child medicine in this hospital. It would be foolish-"
"Foolish, doctor?" I glared at him, making it clear I thought this was in no way foolish.
"Marie has expressed her wishes. Who else is qualified?" I asked Sally.
"I don't want to go. I want to stay with you!" Marie demanded. She sounded rather grumpy about the whole issue, not that I could blame her. Besides, she was likely overtired. I know I was virtually out on my feet, and she'd only had a few hours sleep.
"I am. I'll take both of you." Sally offered, sounding only slightly less tired. Behind her Duo grinned.
"Doctor Po, I must insist this is highly irregular!" Peterson objected.
"Yes, it is, but it is also within regulations. If you disagree with the patients right to chose their physician, I suggest you take it up with the board of Directors." Sally stated.

**************


I had a reasonable inkling as to where Trowa might be. As a potential hostage or victim, Preventers would have forced him to have a medical examination. It was a legal as well as safety requirement. That meant I could either find him at A&E if he was walking wounded, or I could find him via the admissions services. If I couldn't find him in either of them, there would be hell to pay.

Striding down the corridors, most people got out the way of my way, until I found a gaggle of reporters huddled in the main reception. When they saw my uniform, they seemed to all swarm at me at the same time, so I did what any sensible Preventer would do when faced with questions about the previous twenty-four hours, the raid the others had been, and the shuttle which had been hijacked. I kept quiet and backed away. Several of the hospitals own security staff had already started herding them back, and I deemed it more prudent to check if Trowa was at A&E first.

Lady Une appeared to be going in the same direction, her smart shoes clacking on the hall in front of me as I strode to catch up with her. Looking my way as I caught up with her, she barked
"Yuy, report. "
"Winners surgery was sucessfull, they will probably discharge him tomorrow or the day after. I was present during the surgery and he didn't say anything." I told her.
"well, that's a relief at least. I take it he didn't wake up either?" She obviously remembered the previous incident as well. The hospital had been most anxious to avoid a malpractice suit.
"No, but he woke up early and was disorientated. He should be discharged as soon as possible." I told her. I wanted him at either his or my place where I could keep an eye on him and he'd be away from everyone hurting. I refrained from mentioning Quatre's talents, and so did Lady Une, there were just too many people around.
"I need to speak to Agent Barton, after which I will need you to return to headquaters and start matching up our victims to their identities." She told me. She knew I wouldn't leave without having seen Trowa anyway.

As we walked, Wufei came out of one of the little offices, a pensive look on his brow.
"Agent Chang, in ten minutes I need to give the reporters outside a briefing. You will accompany me." The lady Une ordered.
Chang frowned as we walked into A&E.
"Very well." he consented sourly.
"And Chang? I want a full report by morning. I also need you to get a statement from Winner regarding the shuttle."



***************