Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Friends Will Be Friends ❯ One Sentimental Moment ( Chapter 16 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
One sentimental moment.

I saw Lady Une, Heero and Wufei walking our way, but before they got close Sally called me from the doorway and I peeked in.

Well that's something I haven't seen often. Or ever before, come to think of it. Trowa, stoned out of his head. During the war, we never had much access to hospitals and painkillers, so we tended to either grit our teeth and bear with it, or one of the others would find the drugs to knock us totally out. Usually it was the first.

I don't know what Sally told him to convince him to let her drug him, but he was sitting there with a huge smile on his face as I came in and listened with half an ear to Sally's instructions. Don't get the wounds wet, check, make sure he has no caffeine or alcohol, check, if he shows any unusual reactions come back, check, and yes, there it was at least. Give him more drugs on a regular basis. I wondered if they would be as strong? As it would be interesting to see what Trowa was like without his usual inhibitions.

“Come on big guy, how about we get you home and tucked up in bed? ” I asked him, taking hold of his elbow.
“Only if you tuck me in.” Tro replied, just loud enough that Sally could hear it. We both laughed, as it was obvious he hadn't lost any of that dry wit of his.
“Sure Tro, I'll tuck both you and Marie in.” I told him. Always humour people who are drugged. It's much easier than arguing with them.

Sally wheeled Marie out, as I escorted Tro past Une, Wufei and Trowa to the wheelchairs the orderlies had left in the hall earlier, and sat him down. For once, he didn't object until his eyes fell on Une. Standing up, he tried to salute, but obviously the drugs were affecting his coordination.

“Barton, sit down before you fall down.” she ordered, seeing him sway.
“ Need to...Need to report.” Trowa muttered.
“You're obviously not in a fit state to do so.” she turned to me. “Maxwell, you're hereby assigned to Barton. Chang will help if needed. Bring him in once he's coherent enough to make a full report.” I nodded and acknowledged the order, and just as I started moving the chair, Trowa spoke up again.
“You have to fire me. “
“And why should I do that, agent Barton?” Une asked
“Because I'm broken and they know it. They know who I am.” he slurred.

Lady Une turned to me again.
“Take him home. Bring him in when he is fit to give a full report. “ I nodded and started wheeling Trowa out, only to be stopped by a woman with a clipboard barring Sally's way.

“Doctor Po? Emma Bolger, from social services. I'm here to take charge of the child.”
I bristled and turned.
“Excuse me Miss Bolger, but the child as you call Marie, is coming with us.” I told her calmly. Yes, I can do calm, even when provoked. I don't do it often, but I can.
“Marie's coming home with us.” Trowa slurred. Great buddy, that wasn't really helping.
“And who, exactly, is this us you refer to?” she asked me, looking down her nose. I wasn't impressed, it took more than the likes of her to to even come close to intimidating me.

“That would be myself, Duo Maxwell at your service, and my friend here, Trowa Barton.” Trowa waved gamely at her.
“ A Preventer and another victim? Mister Maxwell, you will be far to busy to look after two victims at the same time. I simply cannot allow it! “She protested.
“Look, Lady, I'll take them home, tuck them up for the night and make them breakfast in the morning. Then we can talk about my ability to deal or not. “ I told her.
“I simply cannot allow you to take that child home. After all, it wouldn't be right to have a girl in the same house as two men. Or should I say boys?” she protested snidely.

“Miss Bolger, was it? I am Chang Wufei. Are you insinuating that anyone would not be safe with two of Preventers top agents? As if so I would like to know the basis for your complaint.” Wufei intercepted her. I could see Une watching the byplay, but she did nothing to step in and resolve the issue.

“Well, that is to say, it just wouldn't be proper to have a girl go home with two men. And without a chaperone!” Bolger objected again.
“I believe, that under the Samaritan Laws, it states that children may be taken in by any law officer, and surely Preventers qualify under that criteria, Madam. And if the girl doesn't go home with them, were are you going to send her? You must have your hands full already. In fact, I'm surprised you're not overloaded with other victims. “ He sounded sympathetic, and I couldn't help but smile internally. Wu was, for once, sounding utterly charming while condescending at the same time.

“Why yes, it has been a bit of a busy day. And I really don't have anywhere to put her, we really are very stretched right now. “ She muttered and flustered under his attention.
“See? It would really be better for her to be going home to a nice warm bed right now, wouldn't it? In fact, you're looking like you could use one too.” Wufei pushed. I never knew he could be such a charmer!

“Well, yes. I suppose so. “ She agreed, as Wufei led her off down one of the halls towards the waiting room with a single look backwards which spelled out quite clearly that we owed him one. Sally and me fled out the side entrance, to where Sally's car was parked.


“Duo? Did I just really see Wufei charm that Bolger woman?” Sally asked me as she lifted a sleeping Marie into one of the back seats and strapped her in
“Yeah, I think you just did.” I confirmed as I strapped Trowa into the passenger seat.
“I never knew he had it in him.” I told her as I got in.
“Neither did I. Where to?” Sally asked me as she started the car
“Trowa's place.” I decided, as I didn't have a place to stay and Trowa would probably be most comfortable in his own place.

Sally drove us steadily through the dark and empty streets, until we reached a small courtyard with flats. I knew which one Trowa's was, thankfully, and his lack of keys wasn't a major problem. Sally obligingly turned her head while I did my thing, and made a suitable show of 'surprise' when the door just opened when it previously hadn't.

Opening the door, I was hit by the aroma of overripe pizza. Wrinkling my nose, I led Trowa to the couch and looked around. The place was a shambles, with three camping mats laying around, the back pillows of the couch near them as if to be used as pillows. Only one sleeping bag, Trowa's, was there though. Funny, I always thought of Trowa as a neat guy.

“Hold on a moment Sal, if you stay with them I'll put some fresh sheets on Trowa's bed and Marie can sleep there. Trowa can take the couch, and I'll take the mats. It looks like I can make a descent enough bed out of them. “ I told her, and went to the airing cupboard. It's a good thing we all knew our ways around each others places, more or less. It didn't take me long to strip and remake Trowa's bed, and I gave Sally a spare pair of shorts and t-shirt I found in the cupboard to dress Marie in for the night. She did that and tucked her in while I went into the kitchen to get a glass of water. It seemed like someone had made some attempt at cleaning up, as there was a pile of dried washing up on the drainer. Snatching a glass, I filled it and walked back to where Sally was settling Marie in.
“I've put some water on the night stand. If you need anything else in the night or in the morning just yell okay? The bathroom is just across from your door” I told her and ran a hand over her head before I turned to leave.

She mumbled, and I turned to check what she'd said but she was asleep by the time I turned off the light. Suddenly I could feel the tiredness of of staying up too long crash down on me as well. With a yawn, I gave Sal a hug and pushed her out the door, insisting she get a full eight hours sleep at least. She laughed and neither of us really believed it, but she said she'd try. That was good enough for me.

When I got back to the living room, Trowa was in the middle of it, two dead pizza boxes in his hand and bending over to pick up a third. I couldn't help it, for one moment I just stood there, admiring those lovely long lean legs and that rather nice behind...where was I? Oh yes, getting my injured friend off to bed.

“What are you doing?” I asked him as I started spreading sheets on the couch.
“Cleaning up.”
“You shouldn't be cleaning up, you should be sleeping.” I told him as I fluffed one of the pillows I'd found for him.
“Here, we need to get you changed and into bed. You need rest, remember.” I told him. He stubbornly shook his head as he deposited the pizza boxes in a container bag.
“Need to get the place tidy. It's a mess.”

I couldn't help agree with him there. In fact, it almost looked as if he'd had a three day slumber party just a few days ago. Okay, I admit, it was late and I was tired which is why it took me so long to put the pieces together.

“Tro? How long did the guys stay here for?” I asked him as I led him to the bathroom, the other pair of shorts and t-shirt I'd snagged in my hand.
“Six days. Or was it seven. Can't remember properly.” Well, shit. I'm surprised Trowa managed to put up with them all in this close a quarters for that long. Heero would have killed me for sure, and otherwise Wufei would have had I been there.

“That must have been one hell of a mission.” I chuckled. Trowa nodded solemnly looking for all the world like a lost child confiding their biggest secret.
“We needed to find you.” Me? The guys did this for me? Aww, I was touched.

I handed him the T-shirt and shorts and pushed him towards the bathroom.
“Get changed.” He nodded and moved in.

Back in the living room, I decided to make a bed for myself, then started tackling the worst of the mess. Carrying it in huge armfuls into the kitchen, the gross of it was gone by the time Tro returned. He padded in, rubbing his eyes sleepily.

“Go to bed!” I ordered him, a bit exasperated when he looked around.
“But the mess...” he started to protest, quietening as I approached. I put one finger on his lips.
“Not another word about the mess, okay buddy? You're going to go to sleep right here, in the bed I've made for you. We can talk about this in the morning.”

He blinked twice, coloured slightly, and I would have loved to know what he was thinking, then stepped away and lay down onto the couch, snuggling under the blankets.
“Tuck me in? You promised.” he reminded me. I chuckled. I had promised. Though I'd never expected Trowa of all people to want tucking in. As I adjusted the sheets and duvet around him a bit I teased him a bit.
“Want me to leave the hall light on too?”

He looked up at me seriously again, and for a moment I thought I saw a glimmer of tears....nah, I must be mistaken. There was no way a Gundam pilot was afraid of the dark was there?

He shook his head against the pillow.
“No. Having the light on never helped keep them away. It just means you have longer to see them coming.” he told me, then turned over and snuggled down a bit more.
“'Night Duo.”

“Night Tro.” I wished him as I headed out into the now overflowing kitchen. His last words disturbed me. If not for that, I would have thought he meant nightmares, but now I was pretty certain that wasn't what he'd meant.
Humming softly, I settled in to think while I tackled the mess that was the kitchen.