Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Imposter ❯ One Shot ( One-Shot )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Gundam Wing. This fan fiction has no commercial value, and I am not making any kind of profit or income off of this story or the use of characters owned by Sunrise and Bandai. Thanks to my wonderful beta, Nzomniac! Written for the undercover challenge on gw500. Prequel to Apathetic.
 
 
Imposter
 
Dekim surveyed the troops just moments before he was to take the stage. His devoted legion. They were willing to give their lives—most were going to. They would do anything for him. They had been standing at attention for far too long in anticipation of him. They were turning their backs on their last chance to be with their families and to have nice, normal lives.
 
No. That was not quite true. They were loyal to Treize. His Excellency, he thought with a sneer. They were here because of his “granddaughter.” They were here out of misplaced and transferred loyalty to Treize's daughter, Mariemaia. If his daughter had never met the deceased duke, he would not have been able to muster even a quarter of those present.
 
One, though, was there for very devious motives. Trowa Barton. Yes, he was listed and registered as an ex-OZ official, but did he really think he could fool Dekim? Did he really think Trowa was that common a name? Dekim's first reaction when he had read the name on the list of new applicants was to go down to the soldiers' quarters and to take out the son of a bitch. However, he had quickly analyzed the situation rationally and decided he could use this to his advantage.
 
He had wanted a Gundam pilot. That damn Chinese kid had turned him down. He had been his only hope. The Gundam was to be a symbol to embolden the troops. Instead, the bastard who had killed his son dared to show his face—undercover, no less!
 
“Dekim, I'm ready to go out there now. I'm tired of waiting,” whined Mariemaia.
 
He nodded, and together they took the stage. He made sure to divert his eyes throughout the crowd during the speech, but whenever he thought he could chance it, he stole another look at the imposter. It was good that Dekim had made himself rehearse the speech and movements so many times that it had become automatic for him, for his mind stayed to what he would do to the bastard.
 
“The awakening of a new humanity will be triggered by the soldiers of Mariemaia, and we shall be the symbol of hope for the people,” recited Dekim. “But first,” he continued, trying hard to conceal a smirk when the boy flinched, “we must eliminate all threatening elements.”
 
He had to give the punk some credit. He was known for using his acrobatic skills to slip out of all kinds of tight spots, but Dekim had foreseen such an evasion. Even a Gundam pilot could not escape when he had his best soldiers positioned around the boy. They grabbed him on cue before the fake Trowa could escape.
 
“Trowa Barton,” he said with relish. “This is what happens to the murderers and traitors of old.” He pulled the trigger without hesitation and with glee. When he saw the look on the face of the young man, his son's face came to mind, and he wondered if that was how Trowa had looked when he died.