Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ It Won't Hurt A Bit ❯ It Won't Hurt A Bit ( One-Shot )

[ A - All Readers ]

Disclaimer: The characters are not mine. This was writing for Challenge #86 (steel) on GW500 (at www.livejournal.com).
 
It Won't Hurt A Bit
 
She closed her eyes tightly. It was coming. She knew it, and she braced herself for it.
 
Duo laughed next to her. “After everything we've been through, you're scared of this?” Her eyes were still closed, but she knew he was grinning at her.
 
“Shut up, Duo!” she said through her gritted teeth.
 
“Hilde, I've already been through this. It's not that bad. You're just being a baby.”
 
“Look, I've admitted before that I'm not as brave or as strong as you. When are you going to stop teasing me and help me?” She opened her eyes a little and looked at him, stretching out her hand. “Hold my hand through it, please.” He rolled his eyes but took her hand, and she immediately shut her eyes once more.
 
He was right, of course. After everything she did in the war, after that insane mission she did on Libra, this should be a piece of cake. However, this was one of Hilde's biggest phobias: needles and pain. Well, the “specialist” was not using a needle exactly, but it was close enough for her. The fact that this specialist used a type of gun as well did not put her any more at ease. Why was she doing this anyway? Duo only did it once. Why did she have to get two?
 
She lost a bet. That was why they were there. Bored one day, they decided to have a friendly bet on who could get the most phone numbers at the colonial pool. Duo had shrewdly one by two numbers from an elderly couple. She lost the bet, and this was what Duo was having her do.
 
“Now, let me clean the area,” the specialist soothed as she used a wipe. She had to be Hilde and Duo's age, but she talked to them like they were children. “It'll be over in a minute, sweetie, and it won't be that bad.” Hilde managed to nod a little.
 
“It hurts a little at first, but it'll be over soon,” Duo assured and rubbed her back.
 
“Thanks,” she said and smiled. She opened her eyes and relaxed. The specialist took the gun-like device and lined it up. She shut her eyes as she heard the pop of its firing. Nothing. She didn't feel anything. She smiled and almost opened her eyes to tell Duo he was right. The specialist started wiping the other area when the pain hit her. She had had worse, but it was still a lot of pain. She gritted her teeth and squeezed his hand tightly.
 
“Duo, it hurts,” she hissed.
 
“One more left,” informed the woman cheerfully. Hilde opened her mouth to protest, but the specialist had lined up her target and shot. The lull before the pain was shorter this time, and she soon felt two symmetrical throbs of pain.
 
“Let me get a mirror,” the specialist looked around and pulled up a hand-held mirror for Hilde to see. She opened her eyes. She almost expected to see blood trickling down. Instead, she saw two little balls of stainless steel.
 
“See? I told ya you'd look good with earrings,” Duo grinned.