Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Parallel ❯ A Wish into the Universe ( Chapter 1 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

It was old, this thing in his hands. The reverence and fear and odd, motherly care that had seeped into the metal made it glisten with a sheen of old grease, old sweat, perhaps even ancient blood. It had belonged once to Treize Kushrenada. Legend had it that it had once belonged to the last Czar of Russia.
 
Heero ran a calloused index finger along its barrel from the muzzle to the safety, and with grim determination cocked the ancient weapon, making it ready for yet another death. Understanding the importance of this ritual, he gave himself a moment to recall the reasons for his arrival at such a place.
 
He had attempted death before. Yes, he had certainly tried. But he had always attempted it through the guise of circumstance... a battle he could not win, a fall he could not survive, even self-detonation from the cockpit of his mobile suit. None of them ever worked. Their desperation was a form of cowardice, or perhaps just plain stubbornness, a secret desire to see just how far fate would push him before he finally, finally gave in. This, however, was new. He didn't need to ask fate that question anymore. He knew; he'd finally been pushed too far, and he wasn't going to take chances anymore. This was a method that couldn't fail.
 
After all she's not here to stop me anymore.
 
It was a treacherous thought. A hopeful lurch into impossibility, as close to prayer as he'd ever come, over and over since her death he'd stated the reality of her absence, unwilling to admit to the irrational desire in his heart that it simply wasn't true. Even in this act of ending, if he had been fully aware of his heart he would have been able to hear a tenacious call into the void of death to bring her back, to have her impossibly appear before him to stop his hand on the trigger. He should have known that putting such a wish into the universe could have its own strange consequences.
 
And so, it was at that moment of direst need as he raised the muzzle of the ancient weapon to his dry mouth, as his unrecognized wish was made, that the universe answered.