Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Partings and Reunion Trilogy ❯ Eyes on Me ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Title: Partings and Reunion part 3: Eyes on Me

Author: Sorceress Fantasia

Song by: Faye Wong

Pairing: 1+2

Warnings: Light angst, early works (So it's pretty crappy), OOC Heero

Archive: http://www.gwaddiction.com/levlair/index3.htm

Disclaimers: Lost the GW guys to someone else in an auction on ebay, so I don't own any of them.

Whenever sang my songs

On the stage, on my own

Whenever said my words

Wishing they would be heard

I saw you smiling at me

Was it real or just my fantasy

You'd always be there in the corner

Of this tiny little bar

Duo slumped in his chair, eyes downcast.

This just wasn't his day. First, he had woken up on the wrong side of his bed, literally. As a result, he bumped into the wall that was just beside his bed, still half asleep. The only good thing about that was that it *did* wake him up, completely. Then, his eyebrow kept twitching. Duo knew it was a bad omen, but didn't care much for it. Unfortunately for him, it wasn't long before he had slipped and fell. Next, he found out the only food he had in the entire house was expired cereal. `What could possibly be worse than this?' He thought.

Sitting in front of his laptop, he hummed a tune as it was switching on itself. Soon, his fingers danced gracefully across the keyboard. Checking his mailbox eagerly, he hoped for a mission. He had been coped up in this blasted place for the past week, with nothing at hand and while it gave him some time to catch his breathe and rest, it was starting to bore him to tears. However, what he received made him wish that he had received nothing at all.

"K'so! Now I know what's worse…" He muttered under his breathe.

Duo stood up immediately, so suddenly that he caused the chair he was sitting on to topple onto the floor. Flustered, he grabbed his jacket and keys with one swift action, then proceeded to dash out of the room.

On the computer screen, there was only one new message received. It was from Quatre.

"Duo, Heero's missing! Have you seen him?"

***

Duo murmured silently, curses that one thought could never be conjured came fluently now. His day was already bad enough as it was, had Heero felt the need to make it even worse?

But that wasn't what bothered him the most. Duo wondered why had his best friend left, without leaving any traces or clues to reveal his destination. But somehow, Duo knew. He knew where he had gone to. There. The place where he had brought Heero to some time ago, when they were still together.

***

Duo was snapped back into reality, after he bumped into the wall for yet a second time. Gritting his teeth in frustration, he rushed over to the spot where he had hidden Deathscythe. Without the usual gracefulness, he climbed up into the cockpit of his Gundam a little clumsily. After he punched a button and activating it, the mecha blasted off.

His mind was in a general mess. Emotions were flooding out, as though breaking through a weakened dam. He was like a bottle of mixed feelings. `Why? Why did he leave? He was supposed to have met up with me for another mission.' Duo mused. He was rather annoyed at his psychotic friend. How could he leave without a word? How could he do this to him? Duo released a loud sigh. He felt as though he had been betrayed. He was his best friend!

`Friend? No, it's more than just `friends'. At least to me.' Duo thought. He had always felt especially happy and energetic around the Japanese pilot. When Heero snarled at him, when Heero ignored him, he would feel as though a thousand pins had pricked his heart. When Heero exchanged words with him, when Heero helped him, his heart would soar into the heavens. Even though the latter only happened rarely, Duo felt contented when they did occur. Duo had felt strange then, wondering why he was feeling in such a way he wasn't supposed to feel. These feelings had no apparent reasons at first, but as time went by, Duo found out why. He was in love. Hopelessly in love with someone who he wasn't suppose to love. A piece of rock who would never fall in love with anyone. And well, it was rather obvious that Duo was definitely far away from getting onto Heero's list of potential lovers. Duo would have better luck with a shard of rock. `Well, what do I expect? Love from a perfect soldier?' Duo thought bitterly.

Even so, Duo couldn't help but feel that Heero was *quite* nice to him, sometimes. He would help him with his homework in school, and some other little chores. And occasionally, Duo would feel Heero smiling behind his back, at him. "Is it real? Or is it just my fantasies?" Duo spoke aloud, asking no one in particular. He sighed, and concentrated on his controls again.

***

Heero stood at the edge. He admired the beauteous picture before him, before releasing a deep sigh. However beautiful the scenery was, it couldn't take his mind off the recent incident. That day, when Duo had practically dragged him here. He remembered. Duo's hands were so gentle, but yet so firm and strong. They felt so good to his touch. When their hands parted, Heero fought the urge to gather the American pilot in his hands, and kiss him on his promising sweet lips. Even just a tiny little peck on his cheeks would do. Heero sighed again.

He had left their hideout yesterday, to avoid Duo. He thought that he needed some time to think it through. As he left, without any idea on where to go, he remembered.

`I always came here whenever time permits or when I need some time to think alone.'

That was why Heero came here. He could feel Duo's presence here. And he *wanted* to feel that. Even though he had decided to leave him, Heero still missed Duo terribly. His thoughts trailed back to the scene where the two friends had last met each other, a few weeks ago.

***

*Flashback*

My last night here for you

Same old songs, just once more

My last night here with you

Maybe yes, maybe no

I kind of liked it your way

How you shyly placed your eyes on me

Oh, did you ever know?

That I had mine on you

Heero stared at the empty room before him, save for himself and a certain braided baka. His bag was slung carelessly around his shoulder as he turned away. He slipped into his shoes quietly and quickly, as he prepared to leave for a mission he had just received not long ago. This was going to be a very long mission, and a very difficult one, not to mention. Even for Heero the perfect soldier.

`Will I make it back? To see him? Or is this my last night here with him?' The thought made Heero shudder involuntarily. Suddenly, he felt someone peering behind him. Being a child of war, he wasn't trained for nothing. He immediately whipped him head back to face his friend. Duo, jumped a little in his seat at the sofa, and snapped his head away from the object of his scrutiny. A faint blush appeared on his face. Heero said nothing, and proceeded to get out. His steps were interrupted by the soft goodbye Duo muttered. "Bye Heero. Come back soon, ok?"

Heero made no answer to that and promptly stepped out of the house. He acted cool on the outside, but his heart was in a hopeless jumble, torn between running to Duo and embrace the boy, or to go away to his mission. He crushed the thoughts aside, and started on a run to Wing. He felt that he had to get away from the boy inside the house as soon as possible, for he was doing some strange things to his psyche. Duo had caused him to feel love.

`Oh Duo, I really like to have your eyes plastered onto me, and I have gladly had mine on you. But this is…not right.'

*End of Flashback*

***

Darling, so there you are

With that look on your face

As if you're never hurt

As if you're never down

Shall I be the one for you

Who pinches you softly but sure

If frown is shown then

I will know that you are no dreamer

Heero listened to the smoothing fall of the water. It was like Duo's chatter, endless. But Heero didn't want it to ever end, either. He wanted to listen to Duo's voice, every single day of his life, for eternity. Duo's sweet voice…

"Heero Yuy!"

Heero froze at the familiarity of the call of his name. His eyes snapped open, as he whizzed around to face the voice's owner, and came face to face with the boy who had been the center of his dreams for as long as he can remember. Infuriated violet met widening cobalt blue.

"Duo?" Heero choked, breaking the deathly silence. "How?"

Duo crossed his arms angrily, "Why wouldn't I know that you're here? I was the one who took you here the first time!"

***

*Flashback*

"Come on! It's not far away!"

Heero stifled a sigh, then trailed behind the braided pilot. The two had landed there after a tiring mission, and he had been trying to rest when Duo dragged him forcefully away. To look at something, he said. Well actually, `forcefully' wasn't exactly the correct word to use. Heero had been most willing to be dragged along by Duo, but he had felt the need to show some resistance and reluctance, lest the American pilot think that there was something wrong with him. Silently, he wondered what was so enchanting that his friend had felt the urge to pull him there immediately after they arrived. He moved slowly, following Duo in his tracks.

Suddenly, Duo spun around, his long braid defying gravity for a moment. He looked at Heero, who was moving at snail's pace, and made a face. "From the speed you're walking with, I bet you could race a tortoise and lose! Aww, Heero! Fasten up! Or else we won't reach there even if the sun has set!" He stuck out his tongue at the Japanese pilot playfully, teasing him. "And it's only dawn!" He gestured for Heero to run.

Heero stared at him tiredly, then broke into a run. Duo grinned. "That's better!"

As soon as he got near the American pilot, Duo grabbed his hand tightly. "We'll get there faster this way." He said with a smirk. Heero shrugged his shoulders indifferently, showing that he didn't really mind. Once sure of Heero's consent, Duo turned around and pulled him alongside with him. Although he managed to remain his usual coolness on the outside, Heero's mind was in a terrible jumble. It was as though his brain was melting under the warmth of Duo's touch. His heart pounded on his ribcage, and it threatened to jump out if the two got any closer than this.

Soon, they reached their destination. It was a cliff, which beheld great beauty. The scenery there was totally captivating. Across the other side was a cataract, water hanging down as though it were a piece of long colourless silk. The sound of the water splashing down was sonorous, not a bit irritating.

"Heero! Look there!" Duo pointed at the sky with a slender finger, excitement flooding from his voice. Heero lifted his head and moved his line of vision to where Duo was pointing. The object of his friend's excitement was a rainbow. Although it was rather pale, the colours were still defined and sharp enough to be differentiated. The multi-coloured ribbon was in a round curve.

At this moment, Duo spoke. "It's beautiful, isn't it? I really like this place. I always came here whenever time permits or when I need some time to think alone." Heero turned to look at him. His braided friend had a huge smile plastered onto his face. He nodded. Heero had to agree that this place *is* beautiful. "Duo's so keen to share this place with me. So ardent… so zealous to share his favourite hangout with me… Does this mean anything?" Heero mused, heart skipping a beat. Then Duo turned wistful. "I like this place. It makes me nostalgic. Somehow, the tranquility reminds me very much of Maxwell Church." He was silent for a while, before he continued, "It was the place which held so many of my happiest memories. But now…" He looked down at his feet, eyes downcast.

Heero felt a twinge of pain in his heart to see his friend depressed. Cautiously, he reached out for his shoulders and gave him a gentle, comforting pat. "Don't think so much."

Duo snapped his head up, his eyes widened in shock. He had never expected Heero, of all people, to console him. Although a little forceful, he managed to summon up a small smile, "Thanks."

*End of flashback*

***

Duo marched forwards in one fluid action, and placed iron grips on Heero's shoulders. It was a little painful, but Heero didn't care. He was here! For him, not less!

The American pilot shook his friend violently, and shouted, "What the heck did you think you were doing!? Leaving the base when you have a mission at hand!?" Duo's head dropped and his grip on Heero's shoulders loosened. Heero seriously considered speaking up, when Duo muttered, "Not even telling *me*?" Then, Heero found Duo trembling, and heard sounds similar to sobs.

Heero lifted his arm, he wanted to console Duo, to tell him how wrong he was to think that he was leave him. However, his arm stopped in mid-air, hesitant. Once again, Duo muttered so softly that would surely be covered by the waterfall. But to Heero, every word spoken by Duo was louder than anything in the whole wide world, more important than anything, everything.

"I thought I was your best friend…"

Words slipped out of his mouth before he knew it, "But you are!" Realising what he had said, Heero let a scarlet blush sweep across his face before continuing, "You are the most important person in my entire life! You mean more than anything! I…I…love you." The last sentence was soft, but it struck into Duo's heart with shocking impact.

***

"You what?!"

Heero felt his heart break, and he was certain that he had lost Duo. `How stupid can I get? To think that Duo would feel the same way.'

He was about to turn on his heels and run away, when Duo's arms wrapped around his waist. Heero looked down at him in shock, and a ray of hope flickered in his heart. He was surprised to see Duo smiling at him lovingly, tears cascading down his cheeks, not from sadness, but rather from sheer happiness. Duo's eyes fluttered close, and he leaned his head against Heero's chest.

"If you love me, then…" He stifled a sob, then continued.

So let me come to you

Close as I wanna be

Close enough for me

To feel your heart beating fast

And stay there as I whisper

How I love your peaceful eyes on me

Did you ever know

That I had mine on you

Heero felt his heart warm, and he gave into the temptation to hug Duo fiercely, just like he had wanted to for a very long time. Duo lifted his head, and for a breathless moment, their lips met and locked. Heero had imagined what it would be like, but he could never guess the joy, the excitement, and the heat he felt at that moment. As if a thousand stars shining, sparkling bright in his sky, he finally found a place where he belonged. They finally broke off the kiss. Before Heero could say a word, Duo spoke.

Darling, so share with me

Your love if you have enough

Your tears if you're holding back

Or pain if that's what it is

How can I let you know

I'm more than the dress and the voice

Just reach me out then

You will know that you're not dreaming

Heero felt a stinging sensation at his eyes. Duo caressed his face gently, and Heero let his tears flow. The barriers in his heart had finally been torn down, by a special someone. Someone who would be with him forever more.

Darling, so there you are

With that look on your face

As if you're never hurt

As if you're never down

Shall I be then one for you

Who pinches you softly but sure

If frown is shown then

I will know that you are no dreamer

"Ai shiteru, Heero. Always and forever." Duo mumbled, as he buried his head into Heero's warm arms.

Heero echoed, as he stroked Duo's hair gently, "Always and forever."

Owari

Sorceress Fantasia @ 3rd April 2000