Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Plight of the Unicorn ❯ Chapter Eleven ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Plight of the Unicorn

Chapter Eleven

A large crack sounded as the heavy ax fell upon the wood, splintering the object in half. He carefully placed the tool against the tree stump, where the chopped wood lay. The tall figure then gathered the pieces and carried them over to the side of the cabin, setting them against the wall.

"Trowa! Breakfast is done!"

The brunette smiled lightly before answering, "I'll be there in a minute." He made his way back to the ax, returning it to the small shed in the backyard. `It's amazing how much Quatre has changed in only a few days.' The self-doubt had slowly begun to vanish with every bit of praise and caring act. He'd learned quickly that the blonde thrived on touch, needing to know that someone would care and be there for him. Just telling Quatre that he was doing a task well made the boy blush with pleasure.

`He's very sweet and gentle,' Trowa thought, `As well as beautiful.' The brunette felt his face redden at the last part. `Baby fine sunshine hair framed an innocent face. Soft lips that begged to be kissed, slender build with smooth pale skin, bright blue eyes that seem to call to me.' Trowa quickly stopped his line of thinking, swallowing hard.

`I know he likes me, so why don't I go for it?' he asked himself. His body wanted so badly to take the blonde into his arms, but his mind knew better. `How do I know he doesn't just like me cause I'm willing to show him affection? What about when he gains more self-confidence, will he then leave?' The questions quietly plagued his mind. He just didn't know if the soft-spoken blonde would change his feelings when he gained more acceptance from others.

Trowa frowned at the thought before returning to the cabin. He entered through the back door, walking into the kitchen. His heavy heart lightened at the sight of the slender boy. He had finished setting the table and was currently slipping the two wolves several pieces of cooked ham.

The blonde quickly pulled his hands up, blushing. "I hope you don't mind. They looked hungry."

"Of course I don't mind. I have a problem with spoiling them rotten as well," the taller figure exclaimed, kneeling down to touch both animals on their heads, "Are you two bothering poor Quatre? If you're hungry go out and get some food."

The smaller of the two rubbed up against Trowa before heading for the door, his brother following afterwards.

"How long have you had Eros and Thanatos?" the blonde inquired.

The telepath motioned for Quatre to sit down before speaking, "They were only babies when I found them whimpering beside their dead mother. I took them in and they've been with me for years."

"I thought you told me before that you usually stay with your sister in town. Do they stay with you there?"

"They sure do. It took me awhile to convince everyone that Eros and Thanatos wouldn't hurt them. With time though they were accepted," Trowa answered.

Quatre nodded in understanding before digging into his food. Trowa followed suit, watching the blonde out of the corner of his eye. He reached his mind out slowly, frowning when he felt worry coming from the other individual.

"What's wrong?" the brunette asked.

"What happens when you have to go back home?" the blonde inquired quietly.

`He's afraid I'm going to make him leave,' Trowa thought with a faint heart. "I told you I would stay with you until you're ready to leave. If I do have to return home you're coming with me."

"What about your sister?"

"Quatre, stop worrying please. Just put your mind at ease. My sister will love you. You're sweet, kind, and fun to be around. What's not to like?" the telepath exclaimed.

The blonde blushed bright red, averting his eyes. `Thank you Trowa for caring and having faith in me,' Quatre said loudly in his mind, hoping the other figure heard the heartfelt comment.

"You're welcome, little one. Now finish your food before it gets cold," the brunette chided.

The blonde nodded before returning to his breakfast. When both men were finished Quatre gathered up the plates, placing them in the sink.

"Leave them alone for now. I want to take you somewhere. I think you'll like it," the brunette announced.

Quatre glanced over in surprise. He allowed the taller teen to lead him out of the kitchen. Trowa then made his way to the closet. He pulled out two jackets, one black and the other blue.

"Put one of these on. It's a bit chilly outside," Trowa informed, "I suppose it's a good thing Kathy got me more than one jacket. She said I should learn to accessorize."

Quatre giggled at the remark, slipping the blue jacket on. The sleeves were a bit too long but he didn't mind. He smiled at the comfort wearing Trowa's coat gave him. `I don't know what's gotten into me. First Duo and now Trowa. Did I just like both because they're nice to me?' The blonde's heart balked at the idea. `Trowa is different though. Duo was very kind to me but Trowa just feels right. I don't want to leave him.'

"You feeling well, Quatre? If you're tired we can always go later," the telepath suggested, noting the odd look on the smaller individual's face.

"I'm alright. Just thinking too much, that's all."

Trowa smiled faintly at the answer, patting the blonde on the shoulder. "Sometimes it helps to just follow your emotions and feel. If you keep worrying all the time you'll find yourself going crazy."

"You're right of course," Quatre said with a warm smile, "Shall we go to this secret place of yours?"

"Well its not really that much of a secret but, yes, lets get going before it becomes too late," Trowa announced. Both made their way outside, heading towards the small wooden structure that was a makeshift stall for Trowa's one horse.

"We're riding there?" Quatre asked, suddenly becoming very uncomfortable.

The telepath immediately picked up on the feelings, glancing at the blonde in confusion. "What's wrong?"

"I'm not really good at riding. I'm always nervous and I'm not quite sure why. I've just never felt safe on a horse," Quatre softly answered, feeling foolish.

"It doesn't make you weak to be afraid of something. It's just part of being human. Everyone is scared of one thing or another."

Trowa slid into the stall, patting the chestnut gelding gently. "I'll get his tack ready. Why don't you just talk to him? I promise he won't hurt you if you touch him. I'll be right here to protect you."

The blonde nodded hesitantly as he took a step closer to the creature. "Hello Heavyarms (1). You're a very pretty horse. I hope you don't mind that Trowa and I are going to ride you. I'll make sure to get a treat from the kitchen so you can have it afterwards."

The brunette smiled at the comments watching in amusement as the horse neighed softly, nudging Trowa as if to agree with the last part. "I know, you're such a pig. I have some sugar cubes in there. I'll make sure to bring them," Trowa exclaimed.

The gelding nudged him once more before reaching his head out, trying to touch the blonde. Quatre slowly took another step and with a shaky had stroked the animal's nose.

"See Quatre? He's not going to hurt you. Good boy," Trowa murmured, as he patted the animal's side. He finished tightening the girth before tugging at the saddle once more to make sure it was secure. He the reached back to grab the bridle off the wall.

"I have to take him away for a moment," the brunette announced, tapping the horse so he would turn back to gaze at the human. Slender fingers slipped the leather behind Heavyarms' ears. He then cupped the bit with his left hand, placing it in front of the creature's mouth. With only slight resistance the horse allowed the metal in, snorting in annoyance. He secured the straps around the animal's head before giving him a pat on the side.

"Good boy. That wasn't too hard was it?" Trowa exclaimed.

The creature nudged him once more before walking forward to the gate. "I know give me a second," the male replied back. He then lifted the lock, allowing the door to swing open.

The blonde carefully stepped back as the horse came towards him.

"Steady boy. Give Quatre some breathing room," Trowa chided the animal, tugging him to a halt with the reigns. He then led the creature past Quatre, positioning the gelding beside a slightly raised rock.

"I'll help you get up on Heavyarms," Trowa exclaimed, indicating for the small blonde to climb the solid structure.

Quatre did as he was told and with the help of the strong taller individual he was able to sit on the creature. He wrapped his arms around the horse's neck, unknown fear spiking in his mind. As soon as Trowa felt the emotion he climbed up beside him, enveloping the figure in a protective embrace.

"I'm sorry. I don't understand why I'm so scared," the blonde murmured, shifting his upper torso to bury his head against Trowa's chest.

"It's not your fault. I'm sure something happened to you in the past that's the source of this fear. Do you remember anything that might have caused this?" Trowa inquired.

"I… I'm not sure. I seem to have a big blank in my mind when it comes to my early childhood. I know my sister said I was really traumatized when my mother died."

Trowa blinked in confusion at the thoughts and feelings that poured from the teenage with that one final statement. "You feel guilty? Why is that?"

Quatre suddenly broke down crying then, clutching tightly at the brunette's shirt. "I don't know! I can't help feeling that way. I always believed it was my fault. Everything is my fault! I'm a terrible son, terrible sorcerer. I'm just awful at everything!"

Trowa said nothing as he allowed the blonde to purge out all his negative thoughts. It hurt deeply to hear Quatre speak of himself with so much hate. `His father has filled his head with negative ideas all his life. Constantly belittling anything he did. It's not wonder Quatre is so lost and sad.'

He waited for the blonde to settle down slightly before speaking, "Did that help you feel better?"

Quatre frowned at the question.

"Sometimes it helps to get things out into the open. Now how exactly are you terrible? I can't do magic either. Does that make me terrible?"

"Oh no, Trowa. You're not terrible at all. You're wonderful to me," Quatre remarked.

"And I feel the same way about you, little one. Just because you have trouble with magic doesn't mean you're awful. You can't be perfect at everything, no one is. You're a sweet caring person that happens to be good at a lot of things. If your family can't see that then its their loss," the telepath stated.

"Irea tells me that all the time too," Quatre said, sniffling slightly.

"Well at least you have one family member that makes sense."

"Actually my older brother and most of my sibling are nice to me. It's just my father and sister's husbands," the blonde pointed out.

"They just don't understand you then. You're not meant to be a knight, metalworker, or whatever it is that your father wants you to do. You're life is your choice. Find out what you want to do and don't listen to the ones that put you down," Trowa announced.

Quatre smiled softly as he rubbed his reddened eyes. "You're right. Thank you. I needed to hear that."

The brunette ruffled his hair affectionately before patting the horse underneath them who had remained still during the whole episode, "Are you fine with us leaving now? We could always do this tomorrow if you would rather."

"Oh… I almost forgot. We can still go if it's not to late. I'm…"

Trowa quickly pressed his finger to the teen's lips. "Don't say sorry."

"I know. I'm just used to apologizing for pretty much everything I do. It will take me awhile to get over that," the blonde stated.

"And I promise to help you the whole way. Now why don't you turn back around and we'll get going? My arms will be around you the whole time so you know you won't fall," Trowa swore.

"I know, Trowa. I trust you," Quatre breathed.

`I don't think I'll be able to give him up if I have to. Please lord let him stay with me forever,' the brunette thought as he started the horse away from the cabin.

TBC…

[1] I know… very lame… just couldn't help myself. ^^

*Nagi sits Cloudy down at the compter* Now… WRITE!!! Want more….