Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Ropin' The Wind ❯ Chapter Three: Another Bank Robbery ( Chapter 3 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Chapter Three: Another Bank Robbery

"Has he woken up yet?" Those were the first words from his mouth as Duo entered the sickroom the next morning. The doctor watched in amusement as Heero jerked from his half-doze, looking slightly surprised before his visage grew deadpan once more.

"Only for about a minute," he muttered, not meeting Duo's eyes as he did so. "Fell back to sleep before I could get him the medicine."

"Good," Duo said briskly. "Those pills were going to make him fall back to asleep anyway, and I'd rather not drug him if possible." Leaning over the foot of the bed to take in Quatre's motionless body, he added, "If he wakes up again, give him the blue tablets. That way he can stay awake, but it'll numb any pain he has." Out of the corner of his eye, Duo saw the other man nod in acknowledgement. His expert grip feeling the steady pulse in the cowboy's wrist, the doctor relaxed slightly.

Quatre would be fine. Just out of commission from branding for a couple weeks until the bones knit back together. If he had only dislocated the shoulder, the cowboy would have been up and riding within days. As it was, Duo would suggest against him riding for a couple weeks or so.

"Did you see how he fell? I know it was off a horse, but nothin' else." As he spoke, he felt Quatre's forehead for a fever, feeling its coolness assure him that the cowboy wasn't feverish.

"He was ridin' beside the cattle, tryin' to keep them together to be branded, when his horse walked on the edge of a gopher hole, and staggered to keep from fallin'. And instead of her, Quatre fell."

"And the horse?"

"She'll be all right. Bruised herself, but they didn't have to shoot her."

"Good," Duo said once more. "Quatre loves that girl like anything."

"I know." The simple statement surprised the doctor, but then he recalled that Heero was the cowboy's friend. Quatre had probably told him of the russet mare, who was one of the prettiest steeds in the entire west, certainly one of the fastest.

"So, do you and Quatre know each other from childhood?" From what Duo knew about Quatre's past, the cowboy had inhabited a town about a day's journey from the ranch before moving to work at the cattle farm three years ago, at age seventeen. Only a few weeks ago had the two friends celebrated their birthdays, the cowboy turning twenty, and the student doctor turning twenty-one.

"Yeah," was Heero's only reply. Duo raised an eyebrow. Quatre's friend sure was talkative. Note the sarcasm.

"What brings you to our humble town? Visitin' Quatre?"

Heero's response was an infamous, "Hn." Duo rolled his eyes. He was going to make Quatre's friend talk, if it was the last thing he did.

"Do you work outside your town? Or within?"

"Within." Well, at least that was a word. Better than 'Hn.' Slightly triumphant, Duo pressed onward.

"What kind of job?" Heero shrugged, and the doctor grimaced slightly. Back to square one. "Do you know Quatre's sister Iria?" At that, the stranger scowled.

"Do you ever stop asking pointless questions?" he snapped back, a hint of annoyance in his words. Duo frowned slightly in return, a little irritated himself. He didn't ask pointless questions! Well, they weren't meaningless to him, at least...

"Do you ever answer them?" Duo tossed back. Heero crossed his arms against his chest, his gaze deadly.

"Do you just like to hear yourself talk?"

"Do you like being Mister Jack-Ass?" Duo questioned derisively, his violet eyes narrowing. Heero's fists clenched, and his glare changed to one of menace.

"Do you enjoy enjoying getting your face smashed in?" he said dangerously, stepping forward into the window's sunlight. It was then Duo saw the other man's eyes.

They were vivid, unusually large cobalt pools, which at the moment flashed with anger and aggravation. So much animosity, truth be told, that the apprentice doctor instinctively took a pace backwards, feeling his upper legs press against the wooden end of the bed.

"Um, no, not really," Duo commented quickly, then, in an attempt at humor, added, "Damn, that wasn't a question. You win." Some of the anger eased from the other man's form, and his hands slowly unclenched. The aggression faded from those cobalt eyes, but the irritation remained. Duo inwardly grinned. He could deal with annoyance.

"Quatre's going to be all right?" Heero wanted to know, nodding towards their still sleeping friend. A change of subject would be intelligent, the doctor privately agreed.

Duo nodded. "Just some rest and relaxation, and he'll be up and going before you know it." A hint of a smile formed on Heero's lips, and then quickly vanished. Or had that been Duo's imagination?

"I have to go check on another patient. If Quatre wakes up, tell him I'll be back later," he said, taking once last health check of the out cold cowboy before nodding to Heero and leaving the room to visit Sylvia. Inward shudder here...

. . .

Duo visited Quatre often over the next week, and was there when the cowboy woke up and actually recognized them both. Still curious about the relationship between the two, Duo, unlike he usually did, didn't pry, and waited, trying to be patient, for Quatre to tell him just who the hell this Heero was. Unfortunately for the doctor, all Quatre would talk about was his russet mare, and when he was going to be allowed to see her. Why did all cowboys have obsessions with their horses? Duo would never figure that one out.

. . .

The following Monday, Duo was pleased to announce that Quatre would be able to go to town if he rode his mare at a slow walk. With that, he proceeded to drag both Heero and Quatre to the all-popular tavern. Which was Duo's favorite place, of course.

"Howdy!" Duo rang out gaily as he swung open the saloon door to usher the two reluctant visitors inside.

" 'Lo Duo!" Treize called out, smirking slightly as his eyes took in the two newcomers. The town drunk was already on his seventh beer, but still going strong.

"Good evenin' Treize." Duo acknowledged him with a grin. Treize half-jokingly saluted the doctor, and returned to his drinking.

"Which one's the cowboy you always hang out with, Duo dear?" Dorothy drawled sarcastically, raising her odd eyebrows. The student general practitioner sneered faintly.

"Which one has blond hair, Dorothy?" The owner of the pub rolled her eyes and didn't reply.

"Ha! Brilliant, ma'am!" Mueller joked, raising his glass towards her.

"Mueller..." Une said warningly, and the drunk quieted with a guiltless look as Treize chuckled.

"You ruin all our fun, Une," he drawled, leaning back in his chair. He lifted an eyebrow in the direction of Heero. "And who's this newcomer?"

Quatre spoke up, his words low and polite in the husky way all cowboys used. "One of my friends from out of town, sir." Duo snickered, nudging the cowboy in the side.

"Don't be polite to Treize," he said, grinning to show he was joking- partly. "He's just the town drunk!"

"That I am," the older man agreed, and returned to his occupation with one last comment. "And it's the best job there is."

"I'm sure it is," Duo mumbled, and this time Quatre nudged him.

"Duo, you hear about the bank robbery murder? Two masked gunmen robbed a bank in Hamilton, and shot one of the bystanders, a young girl. They think it's the same two who held up Thurston. But now they're wanted for murder." The man who had spoken looked grim.

"That's awful," Duo said, not noticing Quatre's face suddenly drain of color. "Imagine, killing an unarmed girl during a bank robbery."

"When?" two curious voices questioned simultaneously from the doorway, from just behind Quatre and Heero. All three spun to face the two arrivals.

"Just over a week ago," the man who had spoken before informed them. "Got over a thousand dollars this time, unlike Thurston with only five hundred."

"Damn," Zechs said in disgust, shaking his head as he brushed past the three to call for some wine. "Those bastards better be ready to hang from the gallows." Murmurs of agreement filled the tavern.

"If they try for here, I'll make sure of it," Trowa said tensely, fingering his sheriff badge.

From the corner of his eye, Duo saw Quatre start, staring at the sheriff badge in almost awe. Had the cowboy ever met Trowa before? Duo didn't think so.

"Quatre, meet Sheriff Trowa. Sheriff, meet Quatre, my cowboy friend," Duo said, motioning towards them as he named the two.

"Nice to meet you," Trowa said formally, extending his hand. Quatre managed a smile, his drawling voice soft as he replied.

"Nice to meet you too, Sheriff." Forest green locked onto cerulean blue, and both of their grins widened slightly.

"Call me Trowa. Everyone does."

"Well, at least I do!" Treize piped up, grinning at Trowa's glare. "But only when I feel like going to jail, which isn't very-"

"Fun," Duo interrupted, sighing. "We know, Treize. You already said that." He turned back to Quatre and Trowa, who were already talking about horses and cattle. Boring... Time to introduce the by-far friendliest member of the group, a certain blue-eyed outsider (and to use some sarcasm, of course). "By the way, Sheriff, this is Quatre's friend, He- Hey!" Duo looked around, but the cobalt-eyed man was nowhere in sight. "Where'd he go?"

"Outside," Zechs called over his shoulder, taking a long sip of his wine.

"Thanks," the doctor said, then slipped past Trowa and Quatre and outside into the cool evening's air to search for the cowboy's unusual buddy.

"Heero?" Duo called, looking around the main street, which was mostly deserted save the occasional child who dashed by on a voyage to the general store for candy and other delicacies. The newcomer to the town was nowhere to be found. "Heero?" When he still didn't respond, Duo's voice rose slightly in concern. "Heero?" He heard someone sigh from behind him, and then Heero spoke.

"If you're gonna wake the whole town up, I might as well tell you that I'm right behind you." Duo turned. The other man had been leaning against the wooden wall right beside the bar's exit. Unexpectedly, the doctor found himself blushing at his concern. After all, Heero was Quatre's friend, not his.

"I was... wondering where you were," he said, a bit lamely, one hand unconsciously going to his long braid and beginning to fiddle with it. Heero said nothing, his face hidden in shadow. "Not up for a drink?"

"Not really," Heero said briskly, but with no bite to it. He just sounded... tired.

"Do you want to go back to the ranch?" Through the dim light that shone through the window, Duo saw the man shake his head.

"I don't want to burden Quatre's boss anymore."

"There's an inn just down the road," Duo suggested, pointing to his left. It happened to be the one he resided at too. "Low rent, and if you don't have much money, you can pay her by doing odd jobs around the inn."

"That woman sounds a lot like the old innkeeper at our- Quatre and mine, that is- old town." Duo grinned, more than a little mischievously.

"Of course," he stated simply. "The owner of the inn is Quatrina, Quatre's mother." Heero didn't say anything for a long moment, and then he shifted in position.

"I haven't seen her in a long while. Would you-" and at that point Duo could of sworn Heero sounded slightly hesitant "reintroduce us?" The student doctor grinned broadly. Ms. Winner was a dear, and Duo loved surprising her.

"Sure thing!" he said cheerfully, instinctively reaching out and grabbing the other man by the shoulder. Instantly Heero tensed, and within seconds Duo found his hand paralyzed in a vise-like grip. He barely managed to stifle a yelp as Heero slowly released him.

"Don't," he advised calmly, the emotion once more gone from his voice, "touch me."

"Okay," Duo agreed, hugging his sore wrist to his chest and rubbing the aching skin. "I'll remember that. Do you want to go to the inn now?" Through the dim light, Heero shrugged.

"Sure," said the unusual outsider, and, without touching him, Duo proceeded to lead him to the building which Quatrina Winner owned.

Meanwhile, Quatre stopped in mid-sentence, realizing the two he had come with had vanished during his conversation with Trowa.

"Say, where'd Duo go?" he asked anyone who would answer. Treize looked up from his thirteenth drink, grinning more than a little drunkenly.

"Wen' outside," he slurred, and Zechs rolled his eyes in disgust. Excusing himself for a moment, Quatre opened the door to the saloon and peered outside. The two were nowhere to be seen. Cursing quietly to himself, Quatre turned to apologize to Trowa- and ended up face with face with the sheriff, who looked amused when he jumped, startled.

"Where are your friends?" Trowa mildly inquired, and the cowboy tried to hide how upset he was over Duo and Heero's disappearance with a forced smile.

"I have no idea," he informed the sheriff, accompanying the words with a helpless shrug. He could only guess what those two were doing. Probably at each other's throats, being as different as night and day as they were. Although, knowing Heero, Duo could be very, very uncomfortable at the moment. The forced smile wasn't as unnatural he considered that possibility. Heero was most definitely not naïve or innocent. Of course, neither was Quatre.

"Who's going to get you back to the ranch?" Trowa questioned, snapping the cowboy from his thoughts. Quatre shrugged with his good shoulder.

"I'll be fine, as long as I don't fall off my mare or anything." The cowboy immediately regretted his words as the sheriff looked concerned.

"Would you like me to come along with you?" he questioned worriedly. "I've got to look around the borders for any signs of strange horses because of the robberies anyway." Quatre considered the sheriff's offer for a moment. It had numerous possibilities, he decided, the smile widening to a pleased one as he replied.

"That'd be great," he drawled softly, giving Trowa an once-over before asking if he wanted to leave right now.

"Sure," Sheriff Trowa said with a shrug, and together the two left the bar.

Mounting his mare carefully, Quatre looked over at the green-gazed man for a long moment as Trowa also mounted. Maybe having people other than Heero and Duo as friends would be enjoyable, he thought as they both urged their steeds into a slow walk. Once more, they began to talk of champion horses and different ranches' emblems, even the rivalry between the two churches of their town.

Together they talked, riding slowly into the darkening night, and Quatre quickly grew to enjoy the solemn, thoughtful sheriff's company.

In the meantime, however, Heero and Duo were not exactly having the greatest time of their lives. It was cold, they were in an alley, and Duo had lost the key to the back entrance of the inn.

"Ms. Winner!" Duo called, knocking on the back door loudly as Heero watched impassively. "It's Duo!"

"Duo?" a familiar woman's voice called. "Did you lose the key again?" Duo grinned sheepishly.

"Yeah." They both heard the woman within sigh, and then the door swung open to reveal a lovely middle-aged woman, who was smiling in amusement.

"Do I-" she began, and then stopped in shock, staring at the man who stood behind Duo. The doctor smirked.

"Ms. Winner, may I present to you, Heero..." Duo trailed off, realizing he didn't know the stranger's last name.

"Yuy. Heero Yuy. Hello Ms. Winner. It's a pleasure to meet you again." Heero stepped forward, motioning Duo away with a wave of his hand. Grudgingly the doctor complied, enjoying the look of shock on the woman's face. However, he was more than slightly surprised himself as he watched the look of shock change to one of confusion.

"Heero?" she repeated, raising an eyebrow.

"Heero," said Heero Yuy firmly, and that was that.

(To be continued….)