Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ The Gift of Cursed Blood ❯ The Gift ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

You know the deal. Characters aren't mine, yadda, yadda, yadda… I need help with the title… any suggestions?

The Gift of Cursed Blood

Chapter 1: The Gift

Duo rode his horse hard and fast. He knew exactly what could be found in these woods if the night caught him. He'd be dead for sure. But that was the least of his concerns. The thought of his kingdom falling into enemy hands and his people dying weighed heavily upon him. This was his last resort. He couldn't think of what else to do. His people depended on him. He was king, after all. This was his responsibility. The darkness that the trees cast was eerie. It made him want to grip the hilt of the sword he'd strapped to his hip. This part of the forest was dangerous because it didn't belong to him nor did it belong to the adjacent kingdom. It was free territory and anything could be lurking in it. He felt a cold shiver run up his spine again. He urged his horse to go faster. Finally, he saw his destination in the distance. The dingy, old log cabin sat there like a refuge against the night. Once again he urged the horse to go faster. It was almost nightfall and he didn't want to be caught in the forest. He just hoped the residents of the cabin were able to help him. Reigning the horse to a stop, Duo led it to a stable. He took off the saddle and left the horse to its rest.

He walked up to the door of the cabin and knocked. The residents may have been sleeping but he could see the soft glow of firelight through the thin material of the curtains. He knocked again. He saw someone look out the window. He knew the person could see him. The full moon provided good light. The door opened to reveal a young woman no more than 23. She smiled.

"Lord Maxwell. I've been expecting," she said. "Come in. Take a seat."

"Thank you, Hilde," he said and sat down on one of the chairs in front of the fire. She handed him a goblet of warm wine and sat down across from him. He swallowed the lump in his throat before he spoke. "I suppose you know why I'm here, Hilde."

She smiled again. "Humor me and tell me, please. I want to hear it from you," she paused, "Duo. Or should I call you Lord Maxwell. Or maybe Your Highness. I seem to remember you liked being called--"

"Let's not start this again Hilde. I need your help. As you've probably heard, we have been attacked repeatedly by enemy forces," he said softly. "Hilde, my people are dying. My kingdom is about to fall… I can't let that happen. The army isn't good enough and we-- I need your help."

Hilde passed a hand through her short dark hair. Her blue eyes looked directly into Duo's. "And why should I help you, Duo? Give me reasons," she said quietly.

Duo closed his eyes and leaned his head against the headrest of the big chair. "People are dying, women, children, Hilde!" he snapped emphasizing the children. "I have no time for your games. Are you going to help me or not?"

She seemed to think about it for a few seconds before she answered. "No."

"Why not!" he yelled angrily. "You're my only hope, Hilde! How can you sit there and tell me you're not going to help my people. Your people!"

"Keep it down! And they're not my people, Duo. I'm not going to put my life on the line for people that didn't give a damn about me when I needed them!"

Duo could feel the tears forming in his eyes. "Let the past go, Hilde. Turn the other cheek… are you going to let hundreds of people die because of some wrong a few of them did to you?"

She laughed at him, a humorless laugh but a laugh none-the-less. "A few? A few? They ran me out of town, Duo Maxwell! I was 17 and…" she trailed off. "No, Duo. What did you ever do for me that would warrant I help you? What did THEY ever do for me?"

"Don't turn this around, Hilde. Please. This has nothing to do with what happened! Help them, Hilde!" he pleaded. He stood up and kneeled in front of her, gripping her upper arms in his hands. "Don't be selfish, Hilde."

He could see the anger in her eyes. They started to cloud over because of it and he worriedly looked out the window. It was a clear night with a bright, full moon so he could immediately see the storm clouds rolling in. He could see the lightning. Thunder crashed and Duo looked back at Hilde. "Stop it, Hilde! Don't do this!"

Hilde shook her head and her eyes cleared. She had lost control of her emotions. With her power, she couldn't afford to do that. "I can't help you," she whispered and twisted out of his grasp.

"Mama?" said a tiny voice from somewhere in the bowls of the log cabin.

Hilde sighed and walked away from Duo. "Claire, Lucas, I'm sorry I woke you up," she said to the children who had by that time walked all the way in to the small sitting room of the cabin.

Duo stood there. Frozen to the spot as he looked at the children. Two pairs of identical violet eyes looked back at him.

"Duo, I think it's time you leave. I already gave you my answer and I'm not going to change my mind."

Duo couldn't look at the children anymore and Hilde's command brought him out of his reverie. "I…"

"Lucas, take your sister into my bedroom and go back to sleep. It seems I still have a few things to discuss with Lord Maxwell."

The children obeyed their mother and went into the bedroom.

"Duo, don't make this harder than it is. Please. Just leave us alone. We are not wanted anywhere. Are you going to make MY children subject to the taunts and barbs that I was subjected to? They aren't monster's Duo. They're gifted. They have gifts just like I do. I can't help you."

Duo could feel her intense gaze on him but he refused to look into her eyes. "It would be different, Hilde."

"No it wouldn't," she said and ran a hand through her tousled. "Duo you must remember. I helped these people once even after the way the treated me. And what did I get in return? Nothing. They all ran me out of town. The ungrateful bastards. You can sleep in Lucas' room. They'll stay with me for the night."

What more could he say? She was right about everything. She'd saved their lives once before and once they had seen what she could do they had almost killed her and kicked her out of town. "Hilde?" he called before she entered her bedroom.

"Yes?"

"Are you sure they have… your gift?" he asked thoughtfully.

Hilde looked at him then nodded. "Lucas?" she called. The five year old came out of his mother's room and looked at the man. He knew who he was. He'd always known.

Hilde took his hand and lead him to where Duo was standing. She grabbed the forgotten wine and said, "Show Lord Maxwell what mother taught you this morning." With that order she flung the contents of the goblet at him.

Duo's eyes widened horrified because knew the wine was hot enough to sting if not burn.

The little boy's eyes narrowed in concentration and he brought his hands out as if to ward off the wine. The hot liquid stopped a few inches before reaching his hands. Lucas moved his hands slowly, as if he was holding something precious that might break if he wasn't careful. He brought the wine to eyelevel and pushed it back into the goblet his mother still held in her hand. He let out the breath he was holding and beamed at his mother.

"That was great, Lucas. Thank you. Now go back to bed."

Lucas said nothing and obeyed his mother but not before glaring at the man in the room.

Duo didn't say anything. Hilde took that as a sign and walked into her room. "I hope you're gone before we get up, Duo."

Duo walked to Lucas' bedroom and shut the door. He leaned against it and sighed.

Tbc…

AN: So? What did you think? This is just something I came up with last night when I couldn't sleep. I didn't feel like checking the grammar so I just did a spell check.

AN: Ahhh! Grrrr! I don't really know why I did that. Enjoy!