Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ The Heero Perspective ❯ Cell Block Blues ( Chapter 7 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

I'm not exactly sure what brought it on. It was just Wufei and I in the cell that moment; Duo had been dragged out not two minutes earlier. For "questioning" they'd said. Yeah, whatever. They wouldn't be able to justify it to the Devil himself, if it came down to it. But that's just how it goes being a wanted terrorist sometimes. Yet we prefer to call ourselves freedom fighters…

It was dark in the cell. I could hear his breathing- a barely audible wheeze from what was likely a bruised rib…or two. And then he was right in front of me- close enough I could see the slight shine of his eyes in the dim light sneaking, in patches, under the door. "Heero… Do you believe in soul mates?"

Soul mates? What does that have to do with anything…? I frowned, confused and slightly uncomfortable with his proximity to me in conjunction with his question. Do I? I'd never really thought of it before… He sat back, much to my relief. If it'd shown on my features I could tell he hadn't noticed. "I…well, I found mine once…"

He was staring off into the darkness, seeing something that I knew I could not. "She died defending my people, my clan. She was the warrior, not me- I was just a scholar, really. Not that I couldn't fight, it was just below my intellect… Or so I thought." He sighed, shaking his head sadly. Why was he telling me this? It obviously hurt him to speak these things aloud… And yet I remained silent, ensnared perhaps, by the story of my comrade's past.

" Our marriage was pre-arranged. We'd never met before we were fourteen, and in all outward appearances we hated each other to an extreme. Really we were just misunderstood. It took her death to see what I'd had and what I'd so suddenly lost… So I took up her cause- the fight in defense of justice.

"I… we were soul mates. We always will be- in this life, our next, and the afterlife even. We'll find each other and be together, even if it takes another four lifetimes of misguided searching. Wandering…

"There's someone like that for everyone you know- it's too highly chronicled for there not to be. You just have to believe… Follow your feelings, like you've been told and have told us." He broke off, his throat sounding constricted to even my ears. "Yours… Heero, yours is right in front of you. I see it with every breath they take, with every interaction between you. And it hurts. It hurts terribly to watch this and think that you could loose each other before you even realize… So now it's my turn Heero; my turn to tell you to follow your feelings and do what your heart tells you. In this lifetime you will only get one chance, but once you've found what you've got, it'll be eternity……and then some."

And with that he went silent again. The rasp was still there, low and disguised by the whoosh of air coming out of the vent in the ceiling. His story confused me- I think it's just the unknown thoughts swirling in my head. I have no idea who this person is he's mentioned, but I think I'll keep my eyes opened. Just in case…