Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Plight of the Unicorn ❯ Chapter Four ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Plight of the Unicorn

Chapter Four

The boy stifled back a yawn as he stumbled over a rock. He forced his bright blue eyes open, trying to fix his gaze on the figure walking in front of him. The blonde once again stubbed his toe on yet another rock.

"Hey Quatre, you feeling well?" the sorcerer inquired as he halted and turned to face the smaller boy.

The blonde found himself blushing in embarrassment. I can't tell him the real reason. He'll think I'm being a baby. I have to tell him something though.

"I just didn't get much sleep, that's all," Quatre said softly.

Duo nodded in understanding. He just spent the night in a stranger's house. He's probably not used to anything other than his own bed.

"Are you missing home?" the brunette asked tentatively.

Quatre swallowed the lump in his throat, trying to still his aching heart. He missed his brother and sisters so much. They were such a big part of his life and to have them suddenly taken from him truly hurt. The blonde didn't care so much about not being able to see his father, since the man hated him. He definitely wanted to see everyone else in the household, though. He kept hoping that this was just some strange dream, but he knew deep down that this was his life now.

"I guess so," he murmured. It wasn't the real reason why he couldn't sleep, but he refused to tell Duo the truth. I need to stop being a baby. It's so stupid. I should be able to sleep without someone beside me. Growing up with so many younger siblings, Quatre had grown up sleeping with one sister after another. He hardly ever slept in his own bed at home, instead he was usually nestled up with someone from his family.

Duo could see the inward struggle the blonde was having. He pulled Quatre into a tight hug, allowing the boy's head to rest on his chest.

"I'm so weak. Why does this bother me so much? Most children leave their homes long before I did," the blonde remarked, trying to hide tears from the sorcerer.

"It's different though. You're father didn't give you a choice. He forced you out of the house," Duo chided as he slowly rubbed tiny circles across the boy's back.

"I know," Quatre sighed, "I guess I wish I was stronger. I just can't seem to do anything right."

The brunette gave the younger boy a quick shake of the shoulders. "Now you stop that nonsense right now," Duo ordered, "You are not weak and you're not useless. It just takes some longer than others to learn. I promise I will do everything in my power to help you."

"Do you really think I can do it?" Quatre asked quietly.

The longhaired sorcerer laughed as he released the blonde. "Hey! I may run, I may hide, but I never lie."

Quatre smiled brightly at the comment. "Thanks, Duo. That makes me feel much better," he remarked.

"Well then, if that's the case, I believe it's time for your first lesson," The brunette said suddenly as he noticed the pond that was located behind a small mass of trees. He took Quatre's smaller hand in his and slowly pulled him past the tall oaks until they reached the tranquil waters. He then sat down on a fallen log, patting beside him to indicate that the blonde should follow suit.

"Magic doesn't have to be as hard as you make it out to be. It's not strength a person needs. You can be strong of body, but unable to do magic because you aren't ready mentally to handle it," Duo informed.

The brunette silently held his hand out, gazing calmly at the pond. A small whirlpool steadily began to form in the center, churning with a wild intensity. He then pulled his fingers in to make a fist and the swirling liquid suddenly halted its un-natural action, returning to it former state of being.

"That had nothing to do with me being strong, Quatre. It was all up here," the sorcerer stated as he pointed to his head.

"Now what were the first spells you other teachers tried to make you learn?" Duo inquired.

"Fire spells mostly. There was several ice spell attempts and I believe a magic missile. I couldn't do any of them right," the blonde exclaimed bitterly.

The brunette remained silent for a moment, several different ideas running through his mind until he finally picked the perfect one.

"You like animals, don't you?" He questioned.

The blonde smiled brightly.

"Oh yes. I had pets all the time when I was little. I used to do everything pertaining to them. My sisters loved it cause I was even willing to clean up after them."

"Well close your eyes," Duo ordered.

"How does that help?" Quatre asked.

"Just follow what I tell you. It goes easier that way. Close your eyes," the brunette repeated.

The blonde sighed as his eyelids slid shut. It's not going to work, it never does.

"The most important thing to do is clear your mind. You have to at peace with your emotions and thoughts in order for this to work. I don't have to do this any more because I already have the skills down but a beginner really had to focus to get it right," Duo informed.

The younger boy nodded in understanding. He then took several deep breaths, letting all the worry and fears leave his mind. The blonde began to focus on the peace that surrounded him, the gentle peaceful forest they were in and the beautiful pond they were sitting beside.

"Think of a specific forest animal, Quatre. Imagine how it looks and form it in your mind. Then when you're sure you have it clear in your head call out for it. Ask it to come to you," The brunette whispered.

The blonde kept his eyes closed and his thoughts free. He tried to picture the deer he usually saw grazing in the backyard of his house. They always seemed so nice and gentle, so easy to startle. He remembered the light brown fur, the black wet nose, soft innocent eyes. The image was right there in front of him.

`Please come to me. I want to see you with my eyes opened. I won't hurt you I promise,' the blonde silently called out. He continued the gentle pleas, never once opening his eyes or mouth.

"Quatre, open your eyes," Duo breathed faintly.

The blue orbs slowly slid opened and widened when he saw the deer staring at them from across the water.

"Did I do that?" He said quietly, afraid the creature would bolt if he spoke too loud.

"I didn't do anything. You're the one that called out to her," Duo murmured.

Quatre remained silent as he continued to gaze at the animal. I did it. I actually used magic.

"Do you think she'll come over to us?" he asked his teacher.

"I don't know. Why don't you ask her? You are the one she came to after all," Duo commented.

The blonde slowly nodded at the suggestion.

"Will you come to us? I promise I won't hurt you and neither will Duo. I'm glad that you came when I called. Please come here," he spoke in a soft calm tone.

The doe hesitantly walked towards them, urged on by Quatre's gentle tone of voice. The smile widened on the blonde's face as he was finally able to reach the deer with his hand, carefully running his hand across the creature's coarse fur.

Duo remained impassive through the whole ordeal, choosing to let the younger boy handle it all on his own. He'll be great with charm spells when his range improves. I knew those other sorcerers just started with the wrong approach. Just because most people associate fire spells with magic that doesn't mean it's the only kind you can teach someone. He watched as Quatre continued to touch the deer. You'll do fine, I'm sure you will.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The rapid beat of hoofs thundered across the gravel-covered road. The creature's breathing was heavy and ragged, beads of wet soaking his underbelly and chest. I can't stop now. I won't stop now.

He repeated the words over and over in his mind even as the sweat continued to spread across his flanks. It had taken only several minutes before the child's words had sunk into his brain. She said to find Duo's family. Although he had tried their old home and his lover's father's house, he had failed to check the next obvious course. Heero had only met Wufei and his lover, Zechs, on a handful of occasions but they had been completely pleasant. Many nights had been spent talking with the platinum haired older man while both their lovers quarreled with each other.

`Why didn't I think of him sooner? It's so obvious I could kick myself if my legs could actually bend that way now.'

He galloped for several minutes more before finally coming to the conclusion that he just couldn't run any longer. The creature came to a halt in the road, his head hanging down as he struggled to catch his breath. This wasn't too smart on my part.

Heero stilled quickly as his ears perked up. He forced his breathing to slow as he focused on the sound he had heard. Horse hoofs? He sighed inwardly. They're still after me. Why won't they just give up?

The unicorn bolted into the forest, folding his legs under himself as he hid in the thick underbrush. The horse raced past him, the men on them shouting at each other to keep searching.

`Wait a minute. Those aren't Dorothy's men. The emblem on the horse's saddles is different,' Heero thought. He strained to hear what the men were saying but the voices were muffled by the clatter of the horse's feet.

He remained hidden until they passed and didn't move even though the sounds had ceased. Might as well spend the night here. It's as good a place as any and at least here no one will come by and see me.

Heero rested his head on the ground. So there is someone else after me as well. Someone with power and men to do his or her biding. I need to get out of this body. I'll find you Duo. I swear I will and then we can be together like we used to be. He ignored the inner voice that stated the longhaired boy could have found someone else to be with and settled down to sleep.

TBC…