Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Plight of the Unicorn ❯ Chapter 14 ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Plight of the Unicorn

Chapter 14

The loud howling of the wind pricked at the brunette's ears, adding more discomfort to an already terrible situation. His hair and clothes were soaked through, the black sky doing nothing to alleviate his negative mood. `How am I supposed to help him?'

He finally reached the dilapidated house, shaking his head sadly at the shape it was in. `I don't even know where to start.'

"Quatre! Can I come in?" Trowa yelled, hoping that the individual could hear him over the storm. He waited silently, frowning when nothing happened. He was just about to call again when the door opened slowly, creaking loudly.

He slipped silently into the small building. Green eyes raked around the room, gazing at the sparse area. There was a single bed, which was made. Beside it was a nightstand with a small lamp on it. There was also an empty bookcase and toy box. Everything was covered with a thin layer of dust. His gaze finally landed in the corner, eyes softening at the young figure sitting there.

Trowa made his way over to the boy, sorrow in his heart. The tiny boy looked about five or six years at the most. The blonde hair was dull, eyes filled with pain as he rocked back and forth, his knees drawn up to his chest.

"It's my fault. All my fault. I did it. It's my fault," the boy murmured repeatedly.

Trowa's heart broke at the words and he leaned forward, scooping the child up into his arms. He ran fingers through blonde hair, wiping away the tears on the boy's face.

"Look at me, Quatre. Please talk to me," the brunette remarked.

The child glanced up, rubbing his blue eyes. "It's all my fault."

"I'm sure its not," Trowa exclaimed.

"Yes it is! I'm the one that caused it. It was all my fault," the blonde wailed.

"Can you tell me what happened?" the telepath asked.

The boy shook his head, "Don't want to. It hurts too much."

"Please tell me. You know I love Quatre and want to help him. If you tell me what happened I should be able to help," the brunette explained.

The blond child remained silent as he stared at the older individual. "You promise you won't hate Quatre when you find out?"

Trowa smiled as he ruffled the boy's hair. "I could never hate any of you."

The boy then reached forward, placing his small hands on Trowa's cheek. "Now close your eyes and get ready for the shock."

The brunette's eyes widened in surprise before he closed them. Everything was silent for a moment before he gasped, the memory thrust towards him.

"Now children calm down. Your mothers or fathers should be here shortly," the young woman called out. She pulled her long chocolate brown hair into a ponytail, blue eyes scanning the playground.

The blonde child gazed at his teacher for a minute before going back to what he was doing. He fixed his eyes on the tree above him, concentrating on the leaves. He giggled at the breeze he created, which caused several leaves to fall to the ground.

"That is so cool, Quatre," one of the children squealed.

The blonde grinned at the brunette. The girl had her chestnut hair in pigtails, brown eyes watching him in amazement.

"That's nothing Shelby. You should see the other stuff he can do. Quatre is great at magic," one red-headed boy exclaimed.

The blonde blushed. "I'm not that good, Dion."

"Sure you are. Come on, let's go into the forest behind the school and you can show Shelby," the other male suggested.

Quatre frowned as he glanced back at the teacher. "But Miss Nelson said our mommies would be here soon. Shouldn't we wait for them?"

"Don't worry about it. I'm sure we won't be gone long. We'll be back before they even show up. Please Quatre? I really want to see you do more magic," Shelby pleaded.

"The teacher won't even notice we're gone," Dion swore.

The young blonde finally relented, causing the two other children to cheer. All three waited for the teacher to turn her back to them before slipping out of the playground. They then bolted for the back of the building, making their way to the forest.

"We should go in a little bit just in case some one sees the magic from the building."

The other two children nodded in agreement, walking until they reached a small clearing in the woods.

"How about here?" Shelby asked.

"Seems like a good spot. So what do you want to see Shelby?" Dion inquired.

The red-head sat down on the grass, wiping his hands on his overalls to get rid of the small amounts of dirt on his hands. The two other kids followed his example and dropped to the ground.

"I'm not sure. Something pretty," the girl exclaimed with a giggle.

Quatre thought for a moment before holding out his left hand, palm up. He concentrated deeply, allowing his gift to flow through his body. Both children gasped when sparks flew from the small hands, shifting colors rapidly.

"That's so cool!" Dion remarked.

The girl squealed, "Too pretty."

Quatre continued the show for several more seconds before closing his hands, stilling the sparks. He smiled at his friends' reactions, pleased with himself.

"I wish I could do things like that," Shelby said wistfully.

"You might be able to if you practice. My mommy helps teach me and same with a couple of my older sisters," Quatre informed.

"My dad said he would teach me some when I got a little older," Dion added.

"I'll have to ask my mommy when she picks me up," Shelby exclaimed happily, "Speaking of which should we get back soon?"

"Right after Quatre does one more thing. Can you do a fireball?" Dion inquired.

The blonde blinked in surprise. "I can but we're in the middle of a forest. I don't want to catch anything on fire."

"But we're in a clearing. If you throw it up you won't hit anything," Dion pointed out.

Quatre pondered this for a moment. `I suppose he's right. I just throw it up and it'll be gone before it hits the ground.' The small child was so lost in thought he failed to notice the tugging on his sleeve. He glanced over at the girl, question evident in bright blue eyes.

"Did you hear something?" she asked.

Quatre listened silently, waiting for some kind of sound to occur. "I didn't hear anything."

The other male nodded in agreement. "It was probably just an animal. I wouldn't worry about it."

"Ok. Well can you do a fireball? I promise we can go back afterwards. I think it would be really neat to see one," the girl stated.

"Just this once and then we go," the blonde said firmly. He then closed his eyes, raising his hands above his head. A tiny flame flickered as he worked on giving it more life. Once it was a decent size he trust his palms upward, throwing it up and into the air.

The three children froze when they heard several horses neigh in fright. Several women cried out as well and a loud thump was heard.

`Oh no…" Quatre murmured as he jumped to his feet. He raced to where the sounds were, eyes widened in shock. Every horse had a rider save for one, the woman lying motionless on the ground.

"Mommy," the boy whispered. A loud wail sounded before everything went black.

Trowa cried out in pain as his mind was thrown from the memory and shoved out of the blonde's body. He took a minute as he attempted to stabilize himself from the sudden shock. When he finally was able to open his eyes he really wished that he hadn't. Quatre was curled in a ball, sobbing so hard that he was having trouble breathing.

The brunette crawled across the bed, taking the blonde into his arms.

"I killed her, Trowa. I killed my own mother," Quatre cried out, clutching the taller individual's shirt tightly.

"It was not your fault. You were a child. You didn't know they were in the forest with you," Trowa said softly.

"I should have said no. I shouldn't have used magic. I used magic to kill her," Quatre sobbed.

"Magic has nothing to do with this. It was an accident. You didn't know anyone was there," the brunette chided.

"I still killed her!" Quatre wailed.

The telepath shook the blonde, snapping him out of his emotional outburst. "Listen to me, Quatre. Can you listen to me?"

The blonde sniffed several times before nodding.

"No matter what you are feeling right now this is not your fault. You were a child who was proud of his accomplishments and wanted to show your friends. You were showing your friends magic because that's what they wanted to see. None of you knew several of the parents were going to be coming through the forest at that time. It was not your fault. It was not magic's fault. It was not anyone's fault. It was a terrible tragedy that was not caused by anyone. You've been blocking the magic inside you because of this. It wasn't your fault and you shouldn't have to be suffering because of it. You have a wonderful gift of magic, Quatre. Don't let that gift go to waste. I'm sure your mother wouldn't want you to."

The blonde remained silent as he rested his head on the brunette's shoulder. `It's really not my fault?' he asked in his head, knowing Trowa would hear him.

`No it's not. I swear on my life,' Trowa thought back, giving the younger male a kiss on the forehead. He continued to hold the blonde, who finally fell asleep from exhaustion.

Trowa sighed in relief as he ran his fingers through the blonde hair. `It will all be fine in the end. I promise I'll never let you go.'

TBC…