Hana Kimi Fan Fiction ❯ Years Away From What I Need ❯ Second Date - Not a Proposal ( Chapter 7 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

DISC: I don't own Hana Kimi or the characters. They belong to Hisaya Nakajo. Please don't sue. I'm not profiting from this story, other than the benefit of the joy of writing it.
 
 
Chapter 7
 
She gaped as they entered Karaku. Known for its stately elegance and authentic Edo-style sushi, Karaku was an extension of the restaurant in Tokyo - very high class. Without reservations, there was no getting in. Period. They would rather have an empty restaurant than allow anyone in who hadn't had the foresight to call in advance. And you paid when you made the reservations - so that you wouldn't have to worry about the bill while you were there. You could just focus on the experience. High-class. And not expensive when you consider the quality of the food you'd get.
 
Her father had once mentioned that someday, when Tamami finally became a doctor, maybe she would take him there for his birthday. He'd been half-joking. But that meant he was half-serious. It really was one of those restaurants that you didn't go to except for very special occasions.
 
The host greeted them. “Nakatsu-san. Welcome to Karaku. We have your table ready, as requested.”
 
`As requested?' She knew that reservations were required, but this sounded like more. They removed their shoes as they were led to their table. Every table was in its own room separated by paper doors. Nakatsu led her by the hand into their room. A table was set for two. A single iris sat in a blue-glass vase on the table. The lighting was in delicate paper lanterns that were painted with cherry blossoms on them. Two wall hangings were on the far wall - one depicted a green dragon in flight, the other a white crane standing in reeds.
 
Every item of decoration in the room was taken from her stories - random details. The dragon was from a story she'd written about wondering if she truly understood the boundary between reality and fantasy. The crane was in a story about tending the shrine. The iris… well, just about every story she'd written about her home life had a scene from their garden in it - her mother had planted irises there before she was born. The blue vase was a tiny detail from a story based on Sakura's strength of character. Cherry blossoms were from the one where she was just musing about the beauty of snow, how it covers everything, but doesn't really fix anything. She'd thought cherry blossoms were better. Because they looked as delicate falling, but when they blew in the wind, people welcomed it. And cherry blossom petals didn't hide anything.
 
“Shuichi…” she breathed, but she didn't know how to continue. He'd remembered this much of her stories? All these almost insignificant details?
 
He guided her to her place and she knelt at her place at the low table. Then he walked around and seated himself opposite her. Instantly, someone was there, setting up tea for them. As they sipped from their cups and stared at each other, another someone began setting the food in front of them.
 
The array was amazing. She saw the dishes being set out on the table, but couldn't fathom it. It was all truly beautiful. The presentation, the selection. She looked back up at him, and he was smiling at her.
 
“Shuichi, did you…?” She gestured to the vase, the lanterns, the wall hangings. He shrugged and gave a little nod.
 
“I… asked if they could set up the room for me… you know, special for you.” He gave a little grimace. “Most people don't think I'm all that smart, or that I pay much attention to things. But I pay attention when it's important.”
 
With an almost unnoticeable hand gesture toward the vase, he continued, “Your family and friends are the most important thing to you. And I'm… just really happy that I have a chance to be counted in that group.” He looked down at the food, then back up at her, expression cautious. “Is this… I really wanted to take you someplace special tonight. I hope this is okay.”
 
She shook her head in awe at him and said, “It's wonderful.” Her stunned eyes shifted away from his face and up to the dragon on the wall. `This is… He is… so much more than I dreamed he would be. I never thought he'd… care about my stories. I never thought he'd put so much effort into becoming part of my life.' She looked back down at him, as he was waiting for her to choose first. Reaching out with her chopsticks, she took a piece of salmon. “It's better than wonderful,” she said and popped the fish into her mouth. Around the food he heard, “Mrm. Kawi-sahwa.” Then she swallowed. “You have to try the salmon - it's… Kami-sama!” She picked up a piece of it and leaned forward to put the bite in his mouth.
 
He smiled and then opened up like a hungry bird so that she could drop the bite in. Never taking his eyes off hers, he took the offering. Concentrating on getting the food in his mouth, she didn't notice his stare until she looked up to see his reaction to the salmon. Their eyes locked, and after swallowing, he said, “Delicious,” his voice a bit huskier than it had been earlier.
 
She gulped, blushed and looked back down over the table frantically searching for what to try next. `God, she's adorable when she's flustered.' He started chuckling, and soon his laugh became contagious. She joined in, and as their giggle tapered off, they started eating and chatting.
 
By the time they finished eating, he'd pretty much told her his entire life story. She now knew all about his mom, his dad, their store, how he used to be a total spaz - which she found hard to believe. She also heard about his life after graduation, how he was scouted and eventually picked for the team - as a second choice for their last place on the team. The team's first choice had decided not to pursue professional soccer, but instead go to school, get a degree, become a professional something or other dealing with electronics.
 
She already knew about his high school dating experience - what little there was of it - so he told her about the few times he'd tried dating after he'd made the team. In all but two cases, he'd been set up by his teammates. Eventually, he'd put a stop to it and never had to worry about them setting him up again. He wasn't known for having a fiery temper for nothing. One time was all it took for them to get the point - he did not appreciate it and would not put up with it any more.
 
He understood that most guys were eager for an easy lay, but for him - he needed more to get him stirred up. And in every case, the girl had either been a brainless golddigger, or only interested in him because he was pretty and famous. He'd never been able to have a conversation with any of them. He'd never felt anything for them. They were all pretty, but only superficially so.
 
His hand lifted upwards then settled back on the table. “I know you don't always think being called beautiful is a compliment, but… your beauty is a part of… it comes from who you are even more than it does from your pretty face.”
 
She blushed prettily, and looked down, away from him. Then she looked back up at the dragon. `This… has to be real. I'm not this inventive. Am I?'
 
As she mused about reality, a server came in to ask if they needed anything else. Nakatsu thanked him and said no, they were actually about ready to leave for the next part of their evening.
 
“Next part?” she asked with a raised eyebrow. He nodded and smiled. “Well… I better powder my nose before we leave.” She gracefully stood, and the server directed her to the rest rooms, where she did in fact powder her nose and reapply her lipstick. Then she came back, and he was waiting. They slipped on their shoes and slipped out the door.
 
He took her hand and they strolled to the next part of their evening.
 
It had gotten dark while they ate. As they walked along the lamplit street, she allowed herself to just soak in everything: being with him, the feel of his body next to hers, his hand cradling hers and his thumb unconsciously stroking her hand, bringing shivers of delight. She had no idea what was coming next, and it didn't really matter as long as she was with him.
 
Before long, a feeling began building. A thumping. A bass beat. A few paces more, and she could hear the rest of the music accompanying it. Somewhere ahead, a band was playing. They continued to walk, and she was surprised by the variation in the music. First they heard the end of a rock'n'roll song. Then the band began an old jazz tune, with a contralto doing American vocals. As the bandstand came into sight in the center of the park, they broke into an old, traditional folk tune, which they jazzed up. Every song they played was completely dance-able, and right in front of the stage was a cleared area where there were about 20 people dancing.
 
“I heard some of the students at Ohsaka talking about this today. I thought you might like to go.” His shy smile was so endearing. He really was pulling out all the stops to try to please her. She squeezed his arm happily.
 
“I - I've never been to anything like this!” He found a seat on a bench, and they sat and watched both the band and the dancers for a few minutes. She recognized a couple of girls who were dancing from St. Blossoms. They hadn't seen her yet. She didn't expect they would anytime soon, either. They looked pretty wrapped up in their dates.
 
The folk tune concluded, and everyone applauded. Then, the band began a waltz. Smiling, Nakatsu stood and held out his hand to her. “May I have the honor of this dance, Kagurazaka-chan?”
 
She smiled and said formally, “It would be my pleasure, Nakatsu-kun.”
 
He led her to the dance floor, where they began to glide through the steps. 13 years before, he had learned to dance for the St. Blossoms/Ohsaka Gakuen Christmas Ball. But back then, he was always awkward and clumsy. The steps were foreign, and he was so worried about making an impression that he continued to make mistakes. With Kyoumi in his arms, all he felt was the music flowing through him, the love flowing between them, and he moved with a grace that Fred Astaire might have envied.
 
Kyoumi was light on her feet, and the two of them swept across the dance floor. Their eyes were locked as they danced, and the rest of the world disappeared, leaving only the two of them and the music. Twirls and dips came naturally, as they allowed the music to give them full access to the joy they felt in each other's presence.
 
Soon, only three other couples remained on the dance floor, but all eyes - all the couples, all the onlookers, all the band members - were on the new couple, who were so obviously in love.
 
The band leader broke free from their grip for just long enough to direct the band to make a change in the play list. Instead of completing the waltz, allowing applause, then moving on to a jitterbug, the band kept playing. Continuing the current tune, with a gradual key shift and a subtle rhythm shift, they moved from the waltz into a more passionate piece with a 4/4 beat.
 
The couple barely noticed. They shifted with the music, continuing to dance. As the music became more passionate, their bodies drifted closer together, they held themselves more sensuously, allowed the music to clarify what they'd been feeling and weren't allowing to show. They continued in the dance, became the music. Before long, they were the only ones in the dance space. Everyone else was watching them with admiration or envy - as their personalities dictated.
 
The music wound toward the conclusion of the song, and without thinking, Nakatsu dipped her, then brought her back up tight to him and they kissed as the music stopped.
 
The raucous applause brought them back to their surroundings. They'd been prepared to turn to the bandstand and join in the applause for the musicians, but as they looked up, they realized their status as the lone couple on the dance floor. And not only was the audience applauding for them not the musicians, the musicians were applauding, too. They both turned a deep shade of burgundy and their eyes started darting around for a way to escape.
 
The band leader took pity on them, and drew attention back to himself. “Only those who have known true love can dance like that. Only true love can inspire the music that makes us move.” As the attention left them, they quickly exited the dance floor. “And tonight… it's a night for love.” The band broke into an old crooner's song. Excited couples got up to dance the sway-dance, where you just put your arms around your partner and sway to the music with no real steps. It was the perfect song for that.
 
The couple continued moving away from the crowd, until they reached a spot where they were alone, near a swingset, under a big tree. Realizing they were safe, they both burst out laughing. Through their laughter, Nakatsu's tongue became free. “God, I love you, Kyoumi.” He was laughing while he said it, but once it was out, their laughter stopped. He turned to look at her stunned expression. “Is… Is it okay? That I fall in love with you? Do you mi-“
 
She pushed him back against the tree, kissing him. Then she pulled back and said, “Tell me I'm not dreaming.” Her eyes were fierce. Intense.
 
He reached up and pinched her arm and she yelled. “You're not dreaming,” he said. “I'm probably going too fast, aren't I?”
 
She pulled away from him suddenly and went and sat on the swings. He walked slowly over to the swing next to her and sat down. `Did I blow it?' he thought in panic.
 
“For fourteen years, I've… missed you. I convinced myself that I was in love with you. I've read studies on this type of behaviour. It's not considered normal. And it's typical that you make the person out to be something they're not - something better than who they really are.”
 
She paused in her speaking, and her swing began to sway. His thoughts were a repeating, `Please, no. Please, no. Please don't… don't break me. I don't know if I could take it.'
 
“And now, here you are. And anything I pictured. It just doesn't match up. You're… so much…” Her hands gestured with her, “MORE than I ever dreamed. I… thought I loved you before. But now…”
 
She turned toward him, her eyes squenched tightly shut. His heart stopped in his chest as he waited for her to continue.
 
“My heart feels like there's not enough room to hold all that I feel for you. And I'm so scared. I'm so scared that this is real and I'm going to lose it, because it's what I thought I wanted, only it's so much better, and I'm so in love with you, Shuichi, I think I could DIE!”
 
Her voice picked up speed as she spoke, and she kept her eyes shut the whole time. When she opened them, he wasn't in the swing next to her. She frantically swung her head forward, looking for him, and jumped when his hands wrapped around her from behind, picked her up off the swing and held her to him. Her back pressed close against his chest, his arms wrapped around her and held her securely.
 
His breath was warm against her ear as he whispered, “I want you, Kagurazaka Kyoumi. I want to be by your side. Always.” He kissed her neck, pushed her shrug aside to kiss her shoulder.
 
She twisted in his grasp and kissed him back. “Do you… want to go back to your hotel room?”
 
His fingers dug into her shoulders. “Yes. But we're not going to. Not until you're my wife.”
 
`His wife!' She wrapped her arms around him and buried her face in his chest. “See, now I know this can't be a fantasy. Because I'd never leave me feeling this… this… GAH This horny!... without you just ravishing me right here.”
 
His hands stroked up and down her back and she shivered in his arms as he said, “I really want to ravish you here, you know. Maybe someday, we'll come back here again…
 
“But I should probably get you home before I get weak and give in.”
 
“I could get you to give in?”
 
His expression was exasperated. “I'm not made of steel, woman! Don't you know the effect you have on me?!” Without realizing it, he'd glanced downward, and her eyes followed to the huge bulge in his pants. Then she saw him breathing slowly, concentrating on something unpleasant, and the bulge began to recede.
 
They walked home hand-in-hand, silently for quite a ways.
 
“Shuichi?”
 
“Yeah?”
 
“You… did you propose to me?”
 
He smiled. “No. That wasn't a proposal. Not yet.”
 
“Oh. Okay.” She paused for several paces. “Not yet?”
 
“When I propose, you'll know it,” he said, “And I hope you'll say yes.”
 
They walked for several more paces.
 
“That will not be a problem.”
 
A few more paces.
 
“Did you just agree to marry me?”
 
A few more.
 
“To do that, you'd have to ask me first.”
 
The rest of the walk to St. Blossoms was silent. At the front gate, they kissed deeply, and she felt his steel come back, against her lower abdomen. “God, I love you.”
 
They broke, and she went inside as he went back to his hotel for another night of dreaming.
 
XX XY XX XY XX XY