Harry Potter - Series Fan Fiction ❯ (Harry Potter) How to Defeat a Dark Lord ❯ Two ( Chapter 2 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Chapter TwoIn the many years Severus had been a spy, one of the most important lessons he learned was the art of being awake and aware without giving any outward sign of being so. The ex-spy made good use of those skills now.The first thing that he noticed was the lack of pain and cold. He should have been a mass of pain riddled nerve endings, lying on a cold stone floor. Instead, he found himself wrapped in warmth and without any physical pain.As each of his senses made themselves known, the Potions Master tried to figure out what was missing and, when he finally made the connection, his eyes snapped open as he stared in shock at the ceiling. gOh Harry, what have I done?h~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Severus Snape sat across from Albus Dumbledore, two weeks from the day that he had first been rescued, and watched his cousin pace. Knowing that Gidean would tell them in his own time what exactly was bothering him, he turned his attention to the two Malfoy men sitting on the couch directly across from the fireplace. He was wondering what exactly they were up to, knowing that they would never change sides in the war without sufficient proof that they were truly on the wrong side of the line. He also noticed that Albus did not hold the same level of distrust for the two blonds that he himself held, when in fact the Headmaster should have trusted them less. His wandering mind was firmly brought back to the matter at hand when he heard his cousin moan with suppressed frustration. He's next words almost had him hexing the man with a silencing charm before he could say anything that could not be used against them if his theory about the blonds proved to be correct.

gAlbus, what are we going to do? I can feel him get weaker each and every hour,h moaned Gidean.

gMy dear boy, if you would tell me who you are talking about, I would do everything in my power to help you. So far, the only things that I know for sure are that you are holding a blood protection over some one, and that they are slowly losing the will to live, due to injury and blood loss,h Albus replied. Conjuring a new tea tray along with some sandwiches, he added, gMaybe if you sit down, have a cup of tea, and tell us what is happening, from the beginning, this will make more sense to all of us.hGidean nodded his head, and conjured up another chair in front of the fire. Accepting the cup of tea, which was handed to him from Severus, he took a few calming swallows before he began his tale.

gI'm only going to give you a brief outline of what has been happening; it should be enough to answer most of your questions, the rest of which will have to wait until I find the boy again.h Taking a few deep breaths, Gidean's eyes took on a far away look as he tried to bring his thoughts together. gAbout 10 years ago, I came upon a young boy, who, at the time, looked to be no more then about four years old. He was crying, and in pain. It looked like someone had used the poor child as a punching bag. I stopped and after telling him that I would not hurt him, I proceeded to heal him of some of the worst of his injuries. After I was done, I gave the boy a small vial that I always keep with me for emergencies.hAt this point Severus stopped Gidean from continuing. gAre you a fool, Gidean?h he growled at his cousin. gYou can't mean that you gave the child your blood. That, in all ways, breaks the trust wizards have with the Clan.h

gCalm down, Sev. I didn't give him much. Just enough for me to keep track of him and only half of what we would normally use on a child his age. After he took a sip of my blood, and I tasted his, I realized the awesome amount of potential in him. I took a little bit more of his blood, just to make sure that I could find him again, oblivated him and sent him home. Over the next few years, I always made my way back to check on him. He was overworked, often starved, and beaten, but never enough for me to heal him again. I always made sure that I left something out for him to find and eat, and always made sure that there were a few drops of my blood in with the food to keep the blood protection in place. On his eleventh birthday, I was going to ask him if he wanted the full blood protection, and the training he would need, but Hogwarts got hold of him first. I can't tell you how many times I wanted to go to him while he was there. The pain he was in was enough to make me scream sometimes, the only thing that stopped me was the ability to sense his thoughts even at a distance, and the one thing that always played through his mind was his thought on one of his teachers. After that, I never did renew the protection. Now I know that that was stupid. I should have continued with the mild protection. I can feel him, but I can't find him. I've even made my way through the house once, and I found no trace of him. Not even a magical signature to let me know what was going on. It was like he was hiding his whole being behind a wall that I couldn't break through.hGidean took a deep breath as his cousin glared at him from his chair. gDid you at least get the boyfs name before you did what I believe to be the stupidest thing you could have ever done?h The Potions Master sneered.

gHarry Potter.hAlbus looked at him in shocked amazement for a moment, and then the twinkle in his eyes lit up full force once again. Turning to Severus, he gave a small smile and said, gWell my boy, it seems youfre not the only one who likes to protect young Harry.h

gIndeed. Gidean, can you tell me when the boy lost the will to live?h

gI felt the change in his mind set the day after we brought you here. His pain levels seemed to have increased at the same time.h Gidean replied.

gI was afraid of that.h Severus turned to the Headmaster with a grim look on his face. gHe lost the will to live when he didn't receive any more visions of the Dark Lord torturing me. It is my belief that he thinks that I am dead.hFor the first time since the meeting started, Lucius Malfoy made his voice heard. gWould someone like to explain this? How can that *child* be having visions about the Dark Lord? And why do you think he would lose the will to live if something happened to you?h He sneered at Severus.Severus looked to Gidean and, to everyone else in the room, a staring contest was being held. To Severus and Gidean something very different was happening.//Do you trust them Gidean?////In this I do. You didn't see them after Snakeface left you the last time. Even Lucius almost broke down.////As you wish.//Finally Severus broke eye contact and turned back to the blond. gRight after the first Dementor attack in his third year, I cast a magical bond between us. It was to let me know when he was in danger, and feeling a lot of pain. He feels it each and every time Riddle tortures someone. When it was found out that I was a spy, I broke the connection, the only way he knew that I was alive was because of the visions. When they stopped, he must have believed me dead. He would not have seen you take me to safety, for he only sees what the Dark Lord sees.hDraco sat looking at his godfather with serious eyes. gIs there a way for you to reconnect the bond?h

gOnly if I am physically touching him and he again agrees to the bond. I'm not sure he will agree with it a second time since I did not have his agreement to break the bond. And I can pretty much guarantee that he will not be happy with me for breaking the promise that went with the bond, when he finds out that I'm still alive.hGidean looked at his cousin in shock. gDoes he have a valid reason for not wanting to reestablish the bond?h He asked in concern.

gUnfortunately, yes. At first, he didn't know about the bond: we figured it was better and easier for him not to know. After Riddlefs return, while he was lying in the hospital wing, I made the bond stronger in order to monitor his mental state. At the time, we really didn't know about his visions or what exactly they would be about. I managed to keep him sane for the summer after witnessing both Riddlefs return and the death of a friend. It wasn't until we started Occlmency that he noticed the bond. After blowing up at both Albus and myself, and almost destroying both of our rooms, he demanded a pass for the Golden Trio to have unlimited access to the restricted section of the library. Two weeks later, he came back to me. Hermione helped him find a bond that allowed each person to sense the other. It allowed high levels of pain through to alert the other if help was needed, along with high emotions. He told me that if the bond needed to be in place then it would be a mutual bond. Potter knew I was a spy, and figured if we were both going to be at the whims of that madman, then I would be protected also. It was the only way that he would allow the bond to remain. I had no choice but to agree with him. After the spell was completed, it was like having a ball of warm energy in the back of our minds. What I didn't know at the time was that the boy could have been in my own house. He left out some information. The bond in cases of extreme need would allow us to talk to each other. I found that out at the ministry when his godfather went through the veil. I was already working at the time to find a way to break the bond if needed. I could not allow that information to fall into the Dark Lordfs hands. That little clue was all I needed to find the name of the bond that he used. When Riddle started breaking through my mental shields, I broke the bond. I have not been in contact with him since.h Severus stopped and took a deep breath, as he looked up at the rest of the people in the room. The shock on their faces was almost enough to send him into laughter, but the very real remorse he was feeling made any kind of laughter want to make him cry.Albus was the first to break the silence. gMy boy, why didn't you tell me of this bond? All you said was that he had agreed to have the bond in place.hBlack eyes met blue, and the sneer on the Potion Masterfs face would have sent any of his students running for cover, and most of the teachers also. gBecause it was his choice -- it was one of the only choices that he was allowed to make, just like it was my choice to accept this bond. If I had said no, he would have found a different one, he would have kept looking until he found one that suited both of us, because it was a choice he needed to make in order to survive. All the other important decisions in his life have been made by others for him without his knowledge or consent. I would not have been able to do that to him again, and still maintain the amount of trust that I do with him. It was also up to him if he didn't want the bond. I would have respected that also, and would have done everything in my power to help him train. And with all due respect, Headmaster, it was none of your business,h Came the cold voice of the Potions Master.Before Albus could argue the fact further, Gidean felt a cold finger of dread curl around his spine. Taking an unsteady breath, he looked at everyone else in the room. gI'm sorry to break up this meeting, but if we don't hurry, Harry will be dead by morning.h~~hpss~~Harry Potter winced as a bright light struck him across the eyes. Straining to see who had opened the cupboard, and still keep his body as protected as possible, he tried to keep the fear from his face. What he saw was not what he expected, and it was almost enough of a shock to send him mind into darkness. His cousin Dudley was kneeling on the floor with a glass of what looked like juice, trying to keep as quite as possible.

gHarry? Harry, I'm so sorry. I've been trying to get in here since he threw you in, but father has kept a close eye on you. Please let me help you.hChoking back a sob as he forced words from his mouth, Harry managed a very weak whisper. gUnder my bed is a lose floorboard, you'll find a small bottle of red liquid, bring it to me.h Even those words were extremely painful.Dudley nodded his head in understanding and left to find the bottle. All that Harry could hear was a voice in his head repeated over and over, gIn case of great need, a matter of life or death, drink what is in this vial. It will call me to you.h He had no idea who the voice belonged to, but if it worked, he didn't care. What seemed like hours later, Dudley came back with the vial and helped Harry drink it. Harry shuddered at the metallic taste as he waited for it to do its work. It seemed to dull the pain and clear his mind. By the look on his cousinfs face (which he could now see clearly even without his glasses) it also had done something more.

gHarry, what was that? Your face is starting to heal,h Came his cousin's shocked voice.In a slightly stronger voice, Harry managed to choke out another reply. gIt tasted like blood.h

gBLOOD. Why would you drink blood?h

gI didn't know what it was. But I trusted the voice that told me it was safe.h

gSAFE, you don't know that for sure. Why would you drink something like that?hAs the blood worked its way through his body, Harry could feel his strength returning. gAt school, I've learned that things that taste vile can heal you of almost anything. Besides, the voice in my head was familiar and I trusted it. It could only do one of two things, kill me or save me.hA noise from outside caught the attention of both teens, and with a look of regret, Dudley once more shut the door to the cupboard under the stairs.

~~hpss~~

gWhat do you mean that he will be dead by morning?h Severus demanded of his cousin.

gJust what I said. When I oblivated him, I left him with one thought and a double dose of my blood. I told him if things got desperate to drink it and I would be able to find him. From what I can tell through the blood, his injuries would have killed him long before now if it was anyone else. How he managed to survive until now, I don't know.h Gidean said in a whisper.

gCan you take us to him?h Severus asked.

gYes, I can only take one other person. And you are not going Sev. I'll take Draco.h

gWhy?h

gBecause you are not healed yet. Besides, if anyone saw and recognized you or Lucius, it would mean yours and Harry's death.hSeverus looked his cousin in the eye, and seeing the truth, nodded his head in understanding. gI'll get the potions you'll need to block some of his pain, and make it safe for you to move him.h

A few minutes after leaving the room, Severus returned, carrying a few vials of some unnamed potion in his hand. gGidean, what I'm giving you will only work for him. It's magically sealed; it will only be recognized by his core energy. Don't ask how, I won't tell you. They will unseal themselves when you place them near his mouth.h

gI understand. Any help that he can get will only make his chances for survival that much better.h//One more thing, Gidean. He won't take any potion unless he knows they are safe, which means straight from my hand or that he has made himself. He will no longer take anything from Poppy.//Needless to say Gidean was shocked. //And how, may I ask, are we supposed to get him to take these potions?// The sneer was evident in his mental voice//Simple, really. Tell him the old bat sends his love!// Severus sneered back.