Harry Potter - Series Fan Fiction ❯ (Harry Potter) How to Defeat a Dark Lord ❯ Eight ( Chapter 8 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Chapter EightPandemonium broke out. It sounded like everyone was talking at once. Some in confusion, some in fear and some in anger. Harry's hands slapped up to cover his ears in a vain attempt to block out the yelling. He should have known that it wouldn't have work to block out the noise. Those who knew the signs would have noticed the beginning of a flashback.

Mr. Malfoy stood in shock for a moment before he strode across the room to where Harry was standing, his anger pouring off of him and grabbed Harry viciously by the shoulder and yanked Harry around to face him to give the teen a piece of his mind.

Harry's reaction startled everyone into shocked silence.

A glazed look came across his eyes, and he tried to stop the older man from seeing him shudder, while doing his best not to cringe in fear. gPlease Uncle Vernon, please don't. I didn't do it, honest. Please don't touch me. I promise it won't happen again. Please, I'm sorry.h he whimpered.

Mr. Malfoy released him, and with a look of horror on his face took a few steps back. As soon as he did, Harry dropped to the floor and curled up in a ball, protecting his vital organs from the abuse he knew was to follow, even though he knew nothing he did would protect him in the end. When he sensed someone kneeling beside him, he feared the worse and scrambled away from the unknown figure. A low moan escaped his throat when he felt a wall behind him, blocking his escape, but he cut it of abruptly. Instead, he once more tried to curl himself into a small ball, and wrapped one of his arms around his knees and the other around his head in a vain attempt to protect his head along with his other vital organs, wishing that his protector followed him into the Muggle world also.

Out of everyone in the room, Ron and Hermione were the only ones who didn't react with shock. They instead glanced at each other and Hermione gave Ron a small nod before she started to move the others further away from Harry. When Snape started to move towards Harry instead of away, Ron stood up to his feared professor, and blocked Snape's way to Harry's side.

gProfessor Snape, I must insist that you stay away from Harry at the moment. He may trust you with his life but gathering from your expression, you never had to deal with one of his flashbacks. Please leave Hermione and me to deal with it. It's not the first time we have had to help him come back to himself. If what we do doesn't help, we'll ask you for your help.h Ron watched the gleaming eyes of his professor for a moment, and satisfied with what he saw, moved to kneel next to Harry, getting as close as he could without actually touching him. When Harry scrambled away from him with a small moan of fright, Ron followed, staying far enough away not to startle Harry again. He feared the worst. Harry had never reacted this badly before.

Hermione followed and after a moment to study the smaller boy, she sighed and gave a sad shake of her head. In a soft voice, she confirmed Ronfs fears. gI know you're going to have to try and talk him out, but I'm pretty sure it's not going to work this time. He's to far gone for sight and touch, still, I know your still going to try. I'll try reciting potions to him, but I'm also sure that won't work either. We'll have to try smell. I just don't know what smell will work on him, but I don't think we are going to get him back otherwise, at least not anytime soon.h

Ron nodded his head without looking at her, gThat's what I was hoping you wouldn't say. You had best explain to the others what's going on.h

Hermione nodded in agreement and walked back to the others. gAs much as I hate having to tell you any of this without Harry's permission, it's for the best. Ron's right, we are the only ones who know what's going on and what to do about it, even Draco has never seen him like this before. His dorm mates along with anyone else who has found out in Gryffindor have kept this secret, and they don't know the full story either.h

Taking a deep breath Hermione forced herself to tell some of what she knew about the nightmares. gFor the first few months back at school, it's normal for us to have to do this. In fact, it's almost nightly that Ron needs to talk him out of a flashback and back to himself. After that, it happens maybe twice a month. It's usually only after Harry's had a really bad day.h Giving her professor a sad look, she continued. gI'm sorry to say, Professor Snape, that it's usually after your class that he's the worst, even though it is rare for him to go this far back into his mind. This summer must have been really bad.h She said sadly before allowing her attention to return to Ron and Harry. Complete silence ruled in the room, as everyone watched as Ron tried to bring Harry back to himself. After 15 minutes, he sighed and with a shake of his head backed away from Harry and the look on his face told the others that he had failed. Hermione reached into her bag and took out one of her ever-present textbooks, giving Snape a small smile when he noticed that it was her potions book. Snape raised an eyebrow at the irony of said book, which she met with a shake of her head. gAt least therefs no way he can confuse this for anything in the Muggle world,h she said with a small sigh, before joining Harry on the floor in the corner.The only sound for the next few minutes was the gentle murmur as the young witch read from the book, knowing in her heart that it would not work but having to try anyway. Finally giving up, she also left Harry's side and curled up next to Ron on the sofa and rested her head on his shoulder. Draco joined them and placed his arms around her waist while laying his head against her back, trying to give her what little comfort that he could, as he also took comfort from the contact.

gNow what 'Mione? I've never seen him like this,h Draco said in a small voice.

gNow we try scent. Hopefully, that will work. If it doesn't, we'll have to shock him out somehow,h she replied softly.The three teens sat in silence for a few minutes thinking about what scent would be best to pull him back to the land of the living, while the adults looked at them with different degrees of shock. None of the adults in the room that knew the teens could believe that the three on the couch used to be archenemies. Fred and George took one look at them, and came to a silent decision. If the Golden Trio could except Draco as family, they could do the same thing. Joining the trio on the couch, they also did their best to offer comfort.

Finally Draco looked up with a small smile on his face. gTell me the one person Harry trusts without question, who always has a unique smell around them,h he said to the others.

Ron's eyes lit up. gOf course! Harry's trusted him since first year. May not have liked him much at first, but always trusted him. Especially after that one Quidditch match.h

gEver notice how extremely angry Harry could be or at the end of his rope, and then suddenly relax? I asked him about it once, he told me the scent preceding this person let him know that he was safe, and helped him focus once again, although I also think that Harry can pick out his aura, too,h Hermione added.

gHe never did join in with the rest of us-h

gIn bad mouthing him-h

gUnless he was in a bad mood-h

gWhich wasn't often," George and Fred said while smiling. They had joined in the conversation after realizing what the rest where saying. gWill it work?h they asked as one.

gWon't know until we try. The other option is shocking him out of it, which could have the effect of making him worse,h Hermione told them.

All five, by this time, had huge grins on their faces, much to the annoyance of the adults who did not understand what they were saying. As one, the five of them all turned and pinned Snape with hopeful looks. Draco, though, was the one to ask the question. gUncle Sev, would it possible for us to borrow your cloak? We really think it will help pull Harry out of his mind,h he said hopefully.

Snape looked at them and reached to undo the clasp of his cloak. gI really don't know if this will help, but I'm willing to try. I'm telling you now, however, that I think the lot of you are crazy to believe this.h

Hermione just shrugged her shoulders and took the offered cloak. gYou must not have been paying attention when we explained it,h was all she said to him. Walking slowly over to where Harry still cowered in the corner, she gently placed it around his shoulders, and quickly stepped back at his whimper of fear.

The group watched in silence once more as the waited for Harry to react one way or another. As the minutes slipped by so did the hope the teens where feeling. A discussion among the adults had just started when Snape saw one of Harry's hands reach out and clutch the cloak tighter around himself. Hissing out at the others to be silent, Snape made his way to Harry's side, and settled an arms length away before gently calling Harry's name.Harry tensed his muscles when he felt someone approach him, but the smell that surrounded him reassured him that he was safe. Glancing up from beneath the cover of his eyelashes, he saw Snape approach. His head came up all the way when he heard Snape call his name. gSc Sev?h he stuttered. gOh Merlin, I don't understand, Sev. Why did he do that to me, what did I do wrong? Why did he hate me so much? Am I really an ugly unlovable freak like he claims?h he sobbed while pulling the cloak tighter around himself for comfort.

Severus slowly pulled Harry into a loose hug, waiting for the flinch that would tell him to back off once more. When it didn't come, he pulled the teen into his lap, offering comfort where he could. He made a small note in the back of his mind when Harry did not flinch away from him the way he did everyone else. Both forgot that they where in a room full of people as Harry snuggled in as close to Sev as he possibly could, accepting the comfort that was being offered.

gNo, Harry, youfre not any of those things. Youfre an amazing young man that brings light, love, and comfort to everyone who meets you. Vernon Dursley is nothing but a cold-hearted Muggle who had no idea of the honor he was being given when you landed at his front door. Everything that man has ever told you is a lie. I know for fact that my life along with the lives of many others have been enriched just for knowing you. You have family here who would do anything to keep you from harm, and many friends who would do the same. We will all help you work through this, and make sure that you get over it. You just need to let them in,h Sev whispered, pulling the teen closer in order to comfort him. In his mind, he finished the sentence. 'Just let me in to help you.'

gWill you help me? I don't think I can do it by myself any more,h Harry whimpered, for once willing to ask for help, if only from this man.

gOf course, Harry. I will always be here for you, just like I always have been there to protect you from what tries to destroy you,h Sev crooned as Harry broke down in tears burrowing deeper into his embrace.

Sev knew at this point that no more words were needed, and that any words he did say would have little if any effect on the sobbing teen sitting on his lap. Thus, he did the next best thing. Sev just held on tighter and rocked Harry back and forth while humming under his breath, giving comfort just by being there, soothing the young manfs overburdened soul.

A gentle touch on his shoulder startled him, and drew Severus back to the fact that they were not the only ones in the room. Looking up, onyx eyes met the bright blue of Narcissa Malfoy, who was standing next to him asking silent permission to come near the overstressed boy.

Severus considered the silent question for a moment before reluctantly nodding his head, though he did not let go of his hold and waited to see what Harry's reaction would be.Harry had sensed another aura near him, but refused to look up to see who it was. Whoever it was did not feel dangerous, but he was not worried, even if he was wrong. He knew that as long as he was with Sev, that nothing would be able to hurt him again. So when he felt another hand on his shoulder, he did his best to suppress the whimper of fear, but was unable to stop the shudder that went through his body.Narcissa felt the shudder that went through Harry's body and her heart went out to the boy. All of her motherly instincts came to the surface. After all, didn't she already tell him that he was family, through the bond he shared with Draco?

gHarry my son, Severus is correct. Nothing that has happened is your fault,h she started. gThe blame for your uncle rests solely on his own shoulders, while the rest of the blame belongs to the Dark Lord,h she explained.

Harry looked up into her blue eyes and saw only sincerity reflected back at him. gDo you really believe that?h he asked softly, hope reflecting in his eyes before guilt clouded them over once again, thoughts of his godfather running through his mind.

gI really do believe that. And before you ask, I knew your godfather better then you ever did. He would be the first to tell you the same thing. This is not your fault!h she told him firmly. gSirius always acted before he thought things through. He hated not being where the action was, especially if it meant sitting still while those he considered family where in trouble.hHarry's eyes once more filled with tears. Hearing this from a member of the Black family was exactly what he needed to open up the flood gates on the grief that he still kept locked inside. Launching himself off Severus's lap and into Narcissa's arms, he cried his heart out. He clung to her for a good 15 minutes, just letting go of the grief he held inside for far too long. When the tears finally turned into the occasional whimper, Narcissa eased him away. gThat's better, Harry. Mourn and move on, but never forget. In the end it makes you stronger,h she whispered in his ear. Feeling his nod in response, she gave him one last hug. gDo you think your able to join the rest of us for a cup of tea?h she asked as he settled himself into the warmth of Severus's arms again. She was going to have to wait for her answer, though. The moment that Harry had once more curled up on Severus's lap, he had drifted off to sleep.

Narcissa laughed softly, as she took in the sight. gI do believe, Severus, that you may have lost your gruff exterior to the rest of your students in this room,h she teased.

Severus made himself more comfortable against the wall cradling the teen in his arms against his chest, before leveling a glare at the shocked teens on the couch. gYes, well, I'll make sure to disabuse them of that notion before school starts again.hTwo hours after Harry fell asleep, Snape felt him start to wake up, the tensing of muscles combined with a full body stretch that almost made Harry leave the warmth he was snuggled up in. A gentle laugh coming from his pillow brought Harry's head up lazily. gHow long have I been asleep?h Harry asked softly.

gA few hours. We should have known it was coming, after all, you only woke up this morning from your healing sleep.h

Harry nodded his head in agreement. gThose potions usually make me sleepy, unless they are the ones that we made just for me.h

gIndeed. I do believe that it is time for your next set of potions anyway. Hermione already brought the snake kit over for you.h

gOkay. I think I'm going to need one of the extra strength pain potions. I've seem to have attracted a headache along with all of the rest.h

Before Severus could reply, noise from the rest of the room brought Harry's head around to find everyone else watching them.

To say that Harry was startled by the remembrance of the room full of people would be an understatement. Looking at the rest of the room in horror, his face went beet red in embarrassment, and he hid his face in Severus's shoulder. Ron, Hermione, and Draco snickered at his reaction, knowing that Harry was mortified at having an audience for one of his weakest moments, but loving his reaction anyway. It wasn't often anyone saw this side of Harry. He was much to in control to allow anyone to see him in a weak moment.

Harry sat for a few more minutes getting his emotions under control before shyly looking up at Severus. gDo you think it will be possible to convince the twins to make me a cup of tea? I think I'm going to need it for the argument I know is coming.h

Harry smiled his thanks to Hermione who had already made him a cup of tea. If anyone thought it was odd that he was not moving from his spot on Severus's lap, no one made any comments on it.gWhat argument are you planning on starting this time, Harry?h Snape asked him.

gHmm. Oh, no big deal really, I just need to go shopping before supper,h Harry said, keeping his eyes on his already empty teacup. gAnd I really just want to go with my friends. No one else,h he added, knowing this would be the sticking point. He knew that Severus would not let him out without an adult.

Much to Harry's surprise, Severus just started to chuckle lightly, as he helped steady Harry when he stood up. gI think between your siblings and friends you should be able to manage a trip through the Alley, without any adults around. I just want you to make me two promises. One, stay out of trouble, and two, don't buy too much. When we leave for the Clan, we will not have a whole lot of space. They have very simple lives. Just keep that in mind, alright?h

gI think I can manage that, Severus. I never really had all that much to my name before now. Anything that I should or should not get? Just so I know...h he asked while accepting a second cup of tea from Narcissa.Damean had been following this conversation and decided to join in. gYoung One, you don't need to pick up anything for school, as the Clan can supply you with most everything you need, including a new wand. We will also supply you with clothing for your training,h he said with a smile. gAll you really need to pick up at the moment is some simple robes and a few pairs of trousers and shirts.h

Harry's smile was huge, but he tried to make it look innocent. gThank you,h was all he managed to say.

Fred and George gave Harry looks of anticipation. gHarry, I think we have something that will help you stay safe while shopping today,h George said.

gAnd whenever else you don't want to be recognized,h Fred added.

gWhat do the two of you have planned this time?h Harry asked with narrowed eyes.gOh, nothing much really. We just developed a new candy just for you,h Harry was told.

gCool. What do they do?h Harry's interest was piqued. If the twins said it was for him, he knew that it was perfectly safe. Unfortunately, Snape did not think the same thing.

Severus glared at Harry. gI do believe that your sense of trust is sorely misplaced. How can you trust anything these delinquents give you? In all the years I've known them, they have never been serious," he said, clearly uneasy with Harry trying anything the twins gave him.

gOh please, Sev. Gred and Forge wouldn't do anything to hurt me, especially if they developed this product to help me. They know what I'm up against, and they know what the prophesy says. I trust them almost as much as I trust you. The least you could do is place some of the same trust in me,h Harry told him, his look half way between anger and pleading.

Severus studied Harry. He really did not want to trust the twins with Harry's life, but he had to admit that the twins did know what they where doing in a potions lab, even if they didn't do well in his class. Finally, he nodded his head at the twins, but gave them a pointed look that clearly said that he was holding them responsible if anything happened to Harry.

The twins had listened to Harry defend them, and were honestly amazed how easily he had changed Snapefs mind. Their amazement turned to huge grins.

gHarry our-h

gBrother-h

gOur friend-h

gOur business partner-h

gYour trust in us-h

gIs simply amazing.h

Harry looked at the twins and shook his head at their antics. gYou know I really hate it when you do that. It's a good thing that I can tell you apart. It's the truth, thoughc I trust you, and I know that you would do nothing to hurt me or give me anything that would get me killed,h he told them, going slightly red with embarrassment.Hermione, ever the practical one, asked the obvious question. gFred, George, can you please tell us what these new candies of yours do?h

gWe are so happy that you asked us that, Hermione, and in deference to Harry's fine sensibilities, we will attempt to tell you with out the use of our twin speak,h Fred told them, as George started to pull labeled bags out of the box he had brought in earlier.George picked up the first bag. gEach bag of candies does a different thing. This one will change your eye color, the next your hair color, one will change your skin tone, and the last will change your voice,h he explained.

gIn Harry's case, the most notable feature other then that scar is his eye color. Keeping that in mind, we made sure that none of the eye candy would turn the eye color emerald green. There is one that will do a dark, forest green as well as all the other normal colors, we were even kind enough to find away to mimic Professor Snape's eye color. Unfortunately, we only came up with a dark mocha brown, nice but not quite what we were looking for,h Fred continued, tossing a grin at his former professor.

gFor those of you familiar with the taste of Polyjuice, I just want to reassure you that these candies taste nothing like that sludge, even if the formula was based on the potion itself. And the results last twice as long," George told the group, laughing at the shudder that went through Ron, Hermione and Harry. He laughed even harder when he saw the look that Severus gave the three of them, clearly saying that he expected an explanation later.Since George was unable to finish with the explanation, Fred took over. gThe only thing left to say is ehave funf. All you need to do is pick your candy. Any questions?hHarry who had been looking over the different candy and making his selections stopped and thought for a moment. gDo you have any for hair growth?hFred and George exchanged looks, before shaking their heads at Harry. gWe're sorry Harry, we don't have a product for that yet,h Fred told him, while George left the room, and reappeared a moment later carrying a small potions vial that he handed to Snape. gWe made this potion this morning, so it's fresh. Did you want to check it out before we give it to him?hSnape didn't even open the vial; he knew what it was the moment he saw it. Instead, he just handed it over to Harry who gave him a questioning look. gIt's a hair growth potion. Very well made at that. It works immediately. Just take a sip and your hair grows. This way, you can control just how long you want your hair,h he explained.Harry just nodded his head, before looking at looking at Draco. gYou going to pick your own or do you want me to do it for you?h

gHarry, you may trust those two, but there is no way that I'm going to!h Draco told him.

gAnd here I thought you wanted to go shopping with us,h Harry taunted.

gHarry, I love you, you're my brother. But there is no way you will be able to get me to trust those candies.hThe adults in the room had been silent, just listening to the explanations, and then watching the interplay between Harry and Draco. Narcissa was clearly amused, and waited to see what Harry would do next. Her husband, on the other hand, didn't know what to think. In the course of one afternoon, his life had changed dramatically. He knew that his life now rested in the hands of Harry Potter, who he had on occasion tried to kill, and he was not sure if his past with the teen would turn on him. Watching the two boys argue, he was reminded of himself and Severus at the same age. Looking at Severus's face, it looked like he remembered. Raising his eyebrow at Severus, he silently asked if Harry could convince his son to try the candy. Severus smirked and nodded his head, indicating that he did believe that Harry could and would convince Draco. Turning their attention back to boys, they waited for the out come.Not noticing the silent conversation going on behind their backs, Harry just grinned at Draco, and pulled out his last argument. gScared, Malfoy?h

gYou wish,h Draco answered, and then realized what he just said. Throwing his hands up in the air, he conceded defeat and went to look over the different candies. Ron and Hermione grinned at Harry and went to join Draco.Harry laughed outright, and took his own selection and the hair growth potion into the bathroom. He started with the hair growth potion, and took enough of it for his hair to reach midway down his back. Liking the length but not the shaggy look, he decided it needed a woman's touch, and knew that Hermione was for once not the one for the job.Opening the bathroom door, he called for one of his surrogate mothers. gNarcissa, I'm in need of your aid.hA minute later, a blond head popped around the edge of the door. gWhat can I help you with Harry?h

gPlease come in and shut the door.h When she did what he asked, he turned and met her gaze. gDo you know a way to make this mop of hair less shaggy?h

Narcissa bit back a laugh. She had to agree with Harry's opinion of his hair. It did look shaggy.

gThat depends on if you plan on keeping your hair this long, Harry.h When all she got in response was a nod of his head as she pulled out her wand. gWell, in that case, I can even out the edges, and thin out some of the thickness. I'm warning you now though, with the natural wave in your hair, when I thin it out, it just might curl on you.h

gIf it curls too badly, I can always take another sip of the potion,h Harry pointed out to her.

gTrue. The added length will drag out the curls. Ready?hHarry turned his back on the mirror, not wanting to see until she was done. Taking a deep breath, he nodded at her. gWhenever you are.hIt only took a moment, since the spells she used on Harry she also used on herself and her husband. When she was done, she took a good look at Harry, and decided to have a little fun. gWell Harry, I'm not sure what to saych she said with an uncertain look on her face.Harry whipped around and looked in the mirror, and his mouth dropped open in shock. Instead of a mop of shaggy hair that went wherever it wanted, it was now a shinny mass of flowing locks. He couldn't believe the difference. Smiling at the face beside his in the mirror, he played along. gDo you think I can get my money back?h he asked.

gI don't know Harry. You could always ask.hLaughing, Harry gave her a hug. gThank you. Did you want to stay while I complete the look?h

gI would love to.hSmiling, Harry popped the first candy in his mouth. He decided to start with skin tone. Instead of going darker, (since he already had a natural tanned look) he decided to go in the other direction. His tan faded and left behind creamy, unblemished skin. Next, he changed his eyes to a dark blue, which he followed with a candy that turned his dark hair a golden red.Gazing at his new look in joy, he pushed his hair back behind his ears, and caught sight of his scar. Sighing, his look saddened. gIf only there was a way to hide the scar for a few hours,h he said.

gAnd you need to change your voice,h Narcissa said. Thinking for a moment, she motioned Harry to stay there and went out into the main room with the candy wrapper for the skin tone he had used.Once there, she pulled the twins to the side and held a whispered conversation. With a grin, Fred and George left, and while she waited for them, she went over the candies looking for one that would change Harry's voice. She had just made her selection when the twins returned and handed her two different containers. Smiling her thanks, she joined Harry back in the bathroom, completely ignoring the looks she was getting from Severus.

gHere, Harry, eat this. It will lower your voice enough so that people won't recognize it. Then I need you to sit still.hDoing as he was told, he sat on the edge of the bathtub, and waited patiently for Narcissa to do whatever it was she had planned. First, she pulled out a piece of material that looked like skin, and stretched it over the scar. When she had it all covered, she used the liquid in the other container, which was just like Muggle foundation. That done, she motioned him over to the mirror, and Harry got the first glimpse of his new look. His scar was nowhere in sight, and you couldn't even tell that it had been covered.With a huge grin on his face, he threw both arms around Narcissa and gave her a huge hug. gThank you so much. I don't know what I would have done without your help,h he said with his new voice.

gThere is only one problem that I can see, Harry,h she whispered back.

Pulling away Harry gave her a nervous look. gWhat?h

gWhether or not Severus will let you leave the apartment,h she said with a knowing grin. gI don't think that he will want you to leave his sight.h When Harry flushed and shrugged his shoulders, Narcissa gave him another hug. gWhatever you feel for him, don't rush it. Just go where your heart leads you, and it will be alright.h

gThanks Narcissa,h Harry whispered. Pulling back a little, he gave her an impish grin. gDo you think you can convince him to let me go no matter what, without him seeing me first?h

gI think I might be able to manage that. How much can I give in to him?h

gI'll agree to one adult as long as it's not him. He's too noticeable, even if he changed his looks.h

gAgreed. How about Gidean?h

gAs long as he also changes his looks. I've already been seen in the Alley with him.h

gI'll see what I can do.h

gThanks again, Narcissa.h

gAny time Harry, Any time.h

With that, she walked out of the bathroom, firmly closing the door behind her. Seeing a new set of faces looking her way, she grinned. It seemed the twins would also be joining the group going shopping. She liked the new looks, but none of them where as drastic as Harry's.

gSeverus. I think we may have a problem,h she said.

gIs Harry okay?h he questioned.

gHarry's fine. Come over here with me, and I'll explain the problem to you.h Walking over to the far corner of the room, she waited for her long time friend to join her.

gWhat is it Narcissa? Are you sure Harry's fine?h

gI'm sure. In fact, he's great. The problem we have at the moment is you. I've seen the way you watch him.h

Severus refused to look at her. gI don't know what you mean.h

gI'm sure you do. In fact, I've already given Harry some advice on that subject. Don't worry, it's nothing bad. All you have to do is remember that he doesn't know how to deal with his feelings, and you need to give him time. That brings us to our problem. You need to promise me that you will let Harry go out with his friends. No matter what.h

gAnd why wouldn't I let him leave?h Severus asked, totally ignoring the rest of what she said, even though the words kept spinning around in his mind.

gBecause he looks that good. I'm afraid that once you see him, you will not let him leave for fear of him not coming back to you.h

Severus flushed slightly. He didn't like the repercussions of that statement. gI could always go with him.h

gNo Severus, you can't. Your attitude and glare would give you away.h

gHow about someone else then. That way, he'll be safe.h

gGidean would work. It's apparent that he thinks of Harry as a little brother. And he can keep everyone at armfs length,h she told him, knowing what Severus meant by 'safe'.

gI can agree with that. He'll need to disguise himself though. He's already been seen with Harry in the Alley.h Taking a deep breath, he continued. gI give you my promise that I'll let Harry leave no matter what.h

Narcissa gave him a sly grin. gI accept your promise on Harry's behalf. Would you believe me if I told you that Harry said the same thing about Gidean?h

gYou planned all of this already haven't you?h Severus accused.

gWe planned all of this, yes. But then, I know you.h She laughed and walked away, calling over her shoulder, "Youfd better tell Gidean.hGrowling under his breath, he stalked over to his cousin and Uncle. When he reached them, they smiled when they heard what he was growling about. gWhat's this about conniving women and insolent whelps?h Gidean asked him at the same time that Damean said, gI take it youfre talking about Narcissa and Harry?hLucius, hearing his wifefs name, joined them. gWhat's going on?hSeverus groaned. gNarcissa and Harry plotted against me,h he sighed. gIt seems they where both afraid that I wouldn't let Harry go, so they came up with a plan to let them go with any other adult but me,h he told them, not giving them the whole truth.

gOh, so who's the lucky person who gets to brat-sit?h Lucius asked.

gGidean gets that honor,h Severus told him, and then gave his cousin a mocking smile. gYoufd better go and try out those candies, Gidean.h

gGreat, just what I need,h Gidean groaned. Turning towards the table the candies where sitting on, he stopped and stared when he saw Harry walk out of the bathroom. gUm, Sev? I think you should look at this,h he whispered.Following the direction of Gidean's stare, Severus turned and saw Harry. gOh, Merlin,h he whispered.

gI think, Sev, that my wife knows you better then you think,h Lucius said with a grin.Harry took that moment to look up, and met Severus gaze. Blushing lightly, Harry gave him a shy grin, and reluctantly turned his back. Damean grinned at this and walked over to Harry. gWell, Young One. I do believe that you have made the most startling change. Come here and let me get a good look at you.hHarry did as he was told and allowed Damean to get a good look. His blush deepened when he heard Damean whisper under his breath. gIf you wanted to catch his attention anymore then you already had, this was a good choice. It was also a very good idea to get him to agree to let you go. I'm sure if he had his way, he would lock you away, and keep you to himself.hShrugging his shoulders, Harry decided that it was best to change the subject. Walking over to the table, he picked up a few of the candies and turned to Gidean. gGidean, are you just going to stand there staring all day or are you going to get your arse in gear? Sev only gave us an hour, you know,h He then started tossing the candies at Gidean.Severus shook himself and gave the teen a glare. gYou already used up half your time getting ready.h

gYou haven't even started cooking yet. We still get the hour of shopping while you cook.h

gWho said I was cooking?h Sev asked with a raised eyebrow.

gAs if you would trust the twins with that. How long did it take you to trust my cooking?h Harry asked him knowingly.

gInsufferable Brat.h

gI've already told you today. I would rather be a Brat then a Bat,h Harry grinned.

gLeave Imp, before I change my mind.hHarry picked up a cloak and pulled it around his shoulders, gYou can't change your mind. You promised that you would let me leave.hSeverus threw a glare his way and started growling under his breath again, the growl turned into a snarl when Harry started laughing as he pushed the others out the door.Narcissa gave Severus another knowing look. gYou realize that you have nothing to worry about, don't you?h she asked.Severus gave her a smirk. gI know.hLucius and Damean exchanged looks. gHow do you know that?h they asked together.Severus's smirk got even larger. gHe took my cloak,h was all he said before going to the kitchen to start supper.