Harry Potter - Series Fan Fiction ❯ Aimee Freeman and the Witch-Hunt ❯ The Professors ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
CHAPTER TWO:

The Professors

"Grimm's Complete Fairy Tales, The Encyclopedia of Witches, Occultopedia: The Occult and Unexplained Encyclopedia A-M, Occultopedia: The Occult and Unexplained Encyclopedia N-Z,Witch-Hunt: A Guide Understanding to the Salem Witch Crisis, Fantasy creatures and Monsters, the Book of Imaginary Beings, and Mastering the Art of French Cooking." The librarian paused looking over the titles before looking down at Aimee with a small smile. "We just bought some new fairy tale books if you're interested. I think you've read all the ones we have."

"Thank you Miss Berry." Aimee said softly trying to ignore the feeling of eyes watching her intently. It was a bit annoying, but she knew they'd forget about her once she'd settled in a back table to read.

"Your welcome dear." the brunette woman said mildly as she began neatly packing Aimee's books in the black leather backpack Aimee had borrowed from Laila. It was covered in buttons from bands Aimee had never heard of, some with jokes and sayings on them, and a few for something called Glee. Miss Berry paused slightly at the cooking book and looked as if she wanted to say something, but wasn't quite sure if she could. Aimee smiled guessing what the always polite woman wanted.

"Is your mother trying out some new recipes?" Miss Berry said looking as if she was trying for nonchalance. Aimee hid her smile and nodded. Miss Berry was blushing now and after another moment of being torn she continued. "If she makes that blueberry cobbler she made at the Church dinner last Christmas could you send me a slice?"

Aimee felt a bit of prideful delight run its way through her at that, making her response warmer than usual. "I'd love to Miss Berry."

"Thank you." the embarrassed woman muttered sheepishly, cheeks pink and a small smile on her lips as she passed Aimee the backpack. "Have a nice day."

"You too ma'am." Aimee said and waved good bye, making her way back to her table with a new skip in her step. Aimee always did love when people enjoyed her cooking, even if most of them assumed the dishes the family brought to community events were actually made by Isolde. Something Aimee had never discouraged, because it meant people were less likely to pry if the family had some semblance of normality. The pleasure quickly faded though when the memory of the nasty surprise she'd received a few days after Eason's visit resurfaced.

Isolde really had been trying to do better. Isolde had came home the next day to tell them she'd gone part time at the library because she'd renegotiated her contract at the High School. She'd gotten a psych exam and had been cleared to return to work. It was really a great thing, being a teacher again meant Isolde would have a bigger income and that the bills would get paid. But it meant Isolde was going to be home a lot more. Aimee had thought this was a good thing, until she'd gone to the grocery store and come home to find something she'd never seen.

Isolde already there.

Aimee froze starring at Isolde's apron covered figure scurrying about looking out of place as she made what Aimee smelled was chilli. Grams recipe for it to be exact. For one moment all Aimee could do was stare at her mother a possessive almost angry feeling roaring in her and she barely stopped herself from demanding why Isolde was in Aimee's kitchen. Aimee gritted her teeth though and forced herself to calm. Everyone knew that the kitchen was Aimee's place. You entered at your own risk. Cooking was Aimee's favorite time of the day, her special private, peaceful time. The one little thing she'd always been able to keep to herself.

Isolde couldn't know that, Aimee's reasonable said told her. A small snide little part of her wanted to snap that was no one, but Isolde's fault, but she held it in check a little surprise at how defensive she was at Isolde's intrusion and at her own bitter feelings. Aimee didn't like it. One of the family being bitter was more than enough and Laila had that position covered. Forcing herself to stay calm, she cleared her throat and Isolde turned to look up, finally noticing the presence of her youngest daughter. Seeing her Isolde broken into a large grin that made the rest of Aimee's anger back down. That was Laila's grin.

"I wanted to surprise you Aimee. You won't have to do the cooking anymore, except for lunch. I was able to get my hours changed so I could be home more." Isolde told her cheerfully and Aimee had to bite back a demand of why exactly she'd cut back on hours when they needed money and a bitter taste that coated her mouth at the realization she'd been officially ousted out of her place. Aimee gripped her hands tightly trying desperately to fight back all the very Laila-ish things she wanted to say.

Aimee forced a smile making Isolde look relieved and happy, but noting the cans behind her mother couldn't help telling Isolde. "Laila hates tomatoes." She left before she could see Isolde's reaction and found the house oddly clean.

As Isolde had promised Aimee didn't need to cook again. She hated it. Aimee felt robbed of something deep and personal by the fact that Isolde seemed to be easily balancing the library, household, and preparing for teaching that school year. Aimee knew logically she should feel good about not having to worry and happy to not have to shoulder the responsibilities, but all she felt was thrown aside like a worn, old rag that wasn't even good for cleaning anymore. It stung, but more than that it left her with the shocking concept of free time and a lot of it. Thus her frequent trips to library.

"Aimee where's my card?" Laila said the instant Aimee was within shouting range of their table. The people who'd been covertly watching them since they arrived threw Laila disgruntled looks, which made her give them a rather fierce glare. They backed down first.

"We're in a library." Aimee said, chiding even as she reached into the backpack's front pocket to get out the thin purple tiger print wallet she'd picked up at a yard sale for a quarter. Laila gave Aimee a look that was both annoyed and pouting.

"I know." There was a definite snap in her voice. And then when Aimee gave her the card. "Sorry, thanks sis."

Aimee nodded without much thought, distracted by Laila's clearly dark mood. Laila was usually rather polite, like Aimee herself. She was the first person to turn off her cell phone a theater and always called people on it. She rarely did those pet peeves of hers herself, but when she did she usual apologized and laughed it off. Something was wrong. And judging by the dark looks Laila was giving their rather unsubtle watchers Aimee could guess what.

"You can't snap at all of them Laila. They're just curious and frankly if the roles were reversed and someone else was the center of town gossip you know very well, you wouldn't stop at just watching. You'd be the one who barreled in and demanded answers." Aimee said pointedly ignoring the boy a year or two older then her, who was leaning in nearby to try and eavesdrop. Laila though couldn't. Focusing her irritation on the unlucky boy he actually yelped and scampered away to get out from under her glare. Aimee frowned and Laila relented, slumping in her seat and crossing her arms, expression dark even if it was lessened by an almost pout.

"I don't care. How can you stand them? I'm used to people gaping at me. But the constant whispering and everyone trying to figure out a business is starting to piss me off." Laila said, blue eyes flashing dangerously.

"I stand them because I have to and because the more you show you don't care the less interesting you are and therefore the sooner you're left alone." Aimee said making Laila blink and almost smile. Aimee began to take the books out and lay them on the table as Laila contemplated what she said.

"Sometimes I wonder how you got so wise. But even if you are right, which you pretty much always are, I doubt I can do it. It reminds me too much of how everyone acted after he disappeared." Laila said now down right scowling, looking at one of Aimee's books, fiddling with it absently so she didn't see Aimee's reaction.

Aimee froze more than a little shock at Laila's casual mentioning of who could only be their father. Laila never brought him up as a rule. If he was mentioned by someone else the following conversation never ended anyway but ugly. Aimee found it a little odd that Laila still used Isolde's 'disappeared' to describe their father's absence not the 'left' or 'ran off' everyone else seemed to use. Aimee was sure Laila, though she'd never mentioned it, believed the rumors that their father ran off with a drifter and left Isolde or, in some, left her to return to his secret wife in Canada. Aimee wasn't sure what to believe, but the wording was odd for Laila. Isolde brought up their father as rarely as Laila, but when she did Isolde always said he disappeared. Moments like those had always led to what were formally rare arguments between Isolde and Laila. Those arguments weren't so rare now though.

"I'll try." Laila said, breaking the silence and not seeming to realize the reaction she'd caused. "Not making any promises, but I'll try to behave."

Aimee smiled a little at Laila's distaste for the word. Laila gave her cocky, sweet grin in reply and soon they were both grinning at each other widely trying not to burst into laughter for no reason. Laila failed and Aimee quietly giggled along with her sister. Looking at her Aimee realized this might be her last chance to be alone with Laila. The Orientation Eason had told Isolde about was tomorrow and Aimee had one of her feelings. If she didn't tell now she might not ever.

But she couldn't help but hesitate. Every time she'd tried the words had died in her throat and she'd feel a terror that left her ill and trembling. Something in her just wouldn't let her speak, some deep terrible pain that she almost didn't recognize as her, own phantom images she couldn't quite see would race through her mind and she wouldn't be able to speak. But along with this odd terrifying reaction was something else. Eason's words about how some Muggleborns were rejected by their families. Rejected so badly their memories had to be erased for the kid's safety. Aimee didn't think Laila would do that, but it plagued her.

Yet if she didn't tell now though and Laila found out later how would she explain? She could picture Laila's reaction quite clearly though. Betrayal, anger, hurt. Laila's already fragile trust would be shattered. Aimee swallowed hard palms sweating, a tightness and nausea centered in her abdomen and she felt a trembling coldness seep into her arms. No! Part of her screamed. Aimee ignored it.

"Laila there's something I need to tell you." Aimee said, voice wavering slightly. Laila's head snapped up eyes widening. Aimee's head pounded like the part of her protesting her telling Laila was trying to beat it's way out of her forehead.

"What?" Laila said face brimming with concern and suddenly fresh and as sweet as a raindrop, losing any of the dark bitterness and annoyance that had clouded it recently making aimee remember that this was her sister and one of the few people she loved who was still alive.

"I'm—"

"Lai-Lai! A!" a friendly, male voice called making Laila jump and Aimee shut up instantly. Aimee looked behind Laila feeling like a rabbit caught in a trap, knowing what she'd find before she did. It was the Luther brothers.

Benjamin Franklin Luther, who went by Benny, Laila's current choice, threw an arm around Laila's shoulder as he sat down in the chair beside her, his sweet open face wearing an endearing smile of adoration he always wore around Laila. Behind him his older brother stood hands nonchalantly resting in his pockets. Theodore Roosevelt Luther, or Teddy, gave Aimee a rare personal smile that made her heart clench. She hadn't known Teddy was back from college.

"Not now Benny." Laila said, not snapping as she would have at anyone else, it was impossible to snap at Benny, and turning back to aimee eyes dark with concern. "What is it?"

Aimee couldn't look at her face hot and feeling even more trapped with her audience, Benny sweetly oblivious and Teddy watching with intent eyes.

"I-I'm nervous about nervous about tomorrow." Aimee said, the lies tasting like ash in her mouth. "You read the brochure and saw the school. It's a prep school that means most of the kids are from money. I'm not."

"Is that really what you're worried about?" Laila said not quite looking convinced. Aimee nodded and for once her feelings of anxiety and guilt over lying played to her advantage making her look like she really was just anxious.

Laila quickly launched into a tirade about rich people and how if they didn't like Aimee they weren't worth her time, which was a quasi-pep talk thanks to Benny's kindly interjections. Aimee leaned back in her chair, nodding weakly as the two teenagers tried to out do each other in pumping her up. The missed opportunity laid in her stomach like a heavy stone and she barely noticed that Teddy sat down in the only other empty chair somewhere between Laila's sidetrack onto the pointlessness of plastic surgery and Benny's determination to help tutor Aimee himself if she had trouble with the coursework at the school. Aimee spent the time examining the brothers, who she hadn't seen together since Teddy had run off to college.

Benny and Teddy were as much opposites as Aimee and Laila. Benny, at fifteen, was already taller than Teddy, with broad shoulders and a fit, lean muscled body. By comparison teddy was slender, though aimee knew Teddy was in fact quite strong having seen him help the Colonel build on the deck Mrs. Parker had been asking for, and quite short at only 5'3. Benny reminded aimee of a golden retriever with his thick golden hair and handsome, smiling, square face. Teddy though put Aimee in mind of an alley cat. He was lithe and sleek, with his dark brown hair smoothed back to reveal a thin delicately handsome face; inquisitive, darting green eyes with a almost feline tilt that missed nothing; a full sensual mouth; and a stubborn set jaw. The brothers were separated by six years and were even more different in personality. Benny was a fun loving, charmer, who was always sweet and meant everything he said. He had the easy confidence of someone well-loved and cherished and his playful energy was easily a match for Laila's natural fun loving nature, but without Laila's darkness or fickleness. Benny was someone who you couldn't help, but be happy around. Teddy was of a more serious nature. He'd helped raise Benny until their widower father had remarried when Benny was seven and Teddy was thirteen. Teddy was responsible, honest and as quiet as his brother was loud. But he also caustic tongue when he chose to use it and didn't like, or put up with, hypocrites or fools.

"Did I tell you yet?" Benny said catching Aimee's attention. She hadn't realized they'd finished.

"Tell us what?" Laila said curious, her inner gossip showing. Benny grinned widely and turned to look Teddy over with down right pride.

"Teddy got hired as an Officer by the Haven Police Department." Benny announced loudly and Aimee was on her feet without consciously deciding to.

"I just remembered some books I forget." Aimee said as an excuse and fled. She could feel Laila's startled gaze at the abrupt departure and Teddy's knowing watchful green eyes. All Aimee could think of was the bitter taste in her mouth and the strange feeling that she'd just been slapped.

. . .

The next day dawned clear, but oddly cool. When Aimee got down stairs for breakfast Laila and Isolde were suspiciously amiable, making her suspect they'd come to some kind of agreement for her sake, but she didn't have time to consider this, because she was almost immediately dragged up stairs by Laila to get dressed. Nothing Aimee had seemed to be good enough for her sister and it took all Aimee had to not laugh. Aimee quickly gave up on trying to pick her own clothes and simply allowed Laila to take over, which led to her entire closet being dragged out and gone through to be subsequently rejected and then gone through again. It wasn't until Isolde came up to see what was taking so long a little over an hour before the school was due to pick Aimee up that they finally settled on something simple. Aimee wore a dark blue polo shirt, some light blue skin jeans that faded to white in the cent of each leg, Laila's black leather boots (for luck), and a very well cared for bomber jacket the colonel had given to her as an early birthday present.

"Maybe we should go with the white Church dress." Laila said looking hesitant as she looked over Aimee's outfit, eying the bomber jack with particular dislike.

"I think this will do." Aimee said quickly, legs numb from being forced to stand in the dozens of combinations Laila had forced her into. Laila pursed her lips eyebrows drawing together, but Aimee preempted what would have been a pointless ensuing battle by darting out of the room and to the sitting room. Laila followed after looking unsatisfied, but resigned to Aimee's relief.

And then they waited for the bus to come. It amused Aimee probably more than it should have that a magical school would use something as mundane as a school bus and she'd spent what little time she hadn't spent worrying imagining instead a giant broom or magic carpet as the magical equivalent. She couldn't daydream so easily now though. The closer it got to time the tenser the house got.

Laila kept pacing and checking the windows every few minutes. Isolde sat in one of the love seats nervously twisting some unfortunate tissues to bits, looking as if she'd dearly love to order Laila to stop, but was forcing herself to stop. Aimee by comparison was almost serene in the face of her family's anxiety with a small cup of mint tea in hand. She'd had so many worries lately that she'd been exhausted by them. Quite frankly by now she was tired of it and impatient to get answers for her questions. She'd finally decided to just stop and let things happen.

Finally it turned 11:00 and Laila peered out the window and, apparently seeing nothing, snaps the curtains shut impatiently.

Aimee watched as the clack turned 11:01.

Ding-brrring.

Aimee got to her feet as calmly as she could trying not to show how her heart leaped into her throat at the sound. Laila rushed to the window and threw the curtains open as Aimee went into the hall. Behind her Aimee heard a sharp gasp and she barely resisted running to the door. She was curious, but if she broke her cool now she didn't know if she'd be able to get it back. Aimee grabbed the crystal doorknob and turned it to find two strangers standing on her porch.

One was a smiling blonde woman not much taller than Aimee with a soft face, brown eyes and a clip board with a pen attached by a chain. She was wearing a short, silk dress in peach pink that looked like it was out of the 1920s with a matching peach headband with a pinkish-white feather on the left side and small, tasteful white heels. A string of pearls hanging low glinted in the sun completing the outfit. The other was a good looking Asian man. He was very tall with military cut short black hair and almond shaped brown eyes. His clothes were even more unusual than the woman's. He dressed in a kimono-style blue shirt with magnificent white horses embroidered on it, white dress pants, and fancy blue slippers. The horses looked so realistic Aimee half expected to hear a neigh any moment.

Aimee smiled. The slightly antique, unusual clothing choice was more towards what she expected of witches and wizards than Eason's disappointingly normal clothing. Though there was a decided lack of pointed hats and cloaks. But under her amusement and pleasure at the sight of something so unusual aimee felt a little cheated at not being able to confront Eason. Something she'd been planning since the woman had left.

The woman smiled brightly, looking so perky and energetic Aimee almost took a step back from the sheer brightness.

"You must be Aimee Freeman." the woman said practically wiggling she looked so delighted. Before Aimee could speak the woman was speaking again. "I'm Bridgit Twamley the guidance counselor at Salem. But you can call me Bridgit, dearie. This is Professor Shou Morimoto, out Equestrian teacher. I understand Professor Eason has explained things to you and that your family has not been informed and is to receive our official statement?"

All Aimee could do was nod, wondering if the woman had even breathed once during that. Then her manners kicked in.

"I mean yes ma'am, sir." Aimee said acknowledging the still silent man beside the happy blonde. "Please come in, my mother and sister are in the sitting room."

Bridgit beamed in reply, while Professor Morimoto gave her a little head dip. Aimee moved aside so they could enter and as they passed her she caught sight of what had so surprised Laila. It was a huge silver, luxury shuttle bus parked out front. It was probably the most expensive school bus ever. Aimee looked carefully for a sign of what she supposed had to be other students, but all the windows were covered in thick impenetrable curtains even, strangely, the front ones. Putting this little quirk out of her mind for now Aimee hurried after the Magical adults.

Professor Morimoto and Bridgit were standing in the sitting room, looking as out of place as a peacock among pigeons. But what really drew Aimee's attention were the identical looks of stunned disbelief on Isolde and Laila's faces. Isolde halfway up to greet the guests and Laila still hanging off the back of the couch to peek out the window. Aimee grinned at the expressions, biting her tongue so she wouldn't laugh.

"Is there something wrong?" Bridgit said looking at them face confused, and not a little concerned by the behavior.

Isolde caught herself first and returned the smile, nervous and little thrown, but genuine. "Nothing, we just expected Professor Eason is all." Isolde straightened and stepped foreword offering her hand. Bridgit looked at her curiously for a few moments, before Morimoto stepped up and shook the hand. "I'm Isolde Freeman, Aimee's mother."

"Professor Shou Morimoto, Equestrian teacher." Morimoto said in a surprisingly smooth pleasant voice that gave Aimee the strange desire to listen to it again. She found herself leaning unconsciously towards him, but caught herself startled. Isolde had an odd dazed look in her eyes that told Aimee she too heard to peculiar call in Shou's voice. Behind them Laila starred, unflinchingly curious now that the first shock had worn off.

"And I'm Bridgit Twamley! The guidance counselor for our younger years." Bridgit said gripping Isolde's hand as Morimoto released it and pumping it enthusiastically. The daze quickly faded at the definitely chipper blonde's behavior and Isolde gave her a startled but friendly smile. Aimee caught Laila's gaze and they both smiled in amusement at the grown woman's oddly puppyish behavior.

"Now I'm sure you have some questions, but first I need to tell you a bit more about our school." Bridgit said with a smile and perched on the seat Isolde had vacated. Morimoto quickly took the other love seat, his quiet draw seeming to emit softly as he sat there with an almost serene expression. This left the couch empty.

Seeming to realize what this meant Laila stiffened slightly. Eager to avoid the drama Aimee quickly took the center seat. Isolde sat beside her adn once everyone was settled Bridigt began her explanation.

"The first thing you need to know is that the Massachusetts School for the Gifted is not just a very selective school it has very vigorous course work, Aimee will be working among some of the best professors and students this half of North America. For the next three years she will begin the basics of her education and in her Fourth year she will move to intermediate. Her Fifth year she will take an exam that will decide whch classes she will advance to and she will begin to specialize her course work for her chosen career. Sixth and Seventh year will be not only highly specialized and rigorous, but Aimee will be getting actually work experience in her chosen field thanks to our co-op programs. We will put her in contact with members of her chosen field and after she takes her final exams in Seventh year we will help her move on to her college education, if her field requires it or help her receive an internship." Bridgit explained, looking more serious, but not losing her energy or ability to seemingly not need to breathe when she spoke.

"Wait, Fifth year?" Isolde said looking disturbed. "My daughter's in Seventh grade. That would make her a Junior, which means she won't graduate until a year after she's supposed to."

"No, our students stay with us seven years, once they become a First year they are an equivalent of a Sixth grader." Seeing the confusion. "Our school year always start September first and our students always start at eleven, or if they were born between September and December like Aimee, at twelve. All our students graduate at seventeen or eighteen. We've found eleven and twelve or the age at which it's easiest for them to adapt to the course work."

Aimee starred at the blonde woman curiously. What was the real reason about the age think. She almost asked, but then Morrimoto shook his head jsut barely as if sensing she was about to speak. Aimee shut her mouth looking at the man curiously. Then Isolde started to speak and Morimoto intrerupted with his beautiful, magical voice.

"I'm sure you're concerned about Aimee, but Professor Eason strongly suspects that she will be put in our advanced classes, which would make an extra year of schooling more than worth it." Morimoto said meeting Isolde's gaze as he quickly drew Isolde and even Laila back under the spell of his voice. Aimee though resisted and wondered at that. Eason had spoken of her?

"What do you mean by suspects? Haven't I already been sorted into my classes?" Aimee said bristling defensively at Morimoto doing whatever he was doing to her family's mind. Morimoto broke away from Isolde to stare at her. Isolde shook herself beside Aimee. Aimee gave the hardest angriest stare she could manage and he dipped his head low and respectfully as if acknowledging her warning. He looked down and any trace of the daze that had been on her sister amd mother's faces vanished.

"Not yet." Bridigt said, not seeming to be aware of what had jsut transpired. "Part of the Orientation for First years is to take the Entrance Exam. It will be a fairly simple test and once it's been graded we'll give them the classes the test indicates they should be placed in. It also determines their class rank."

"Class rank?" Isolde asked looking confused, but back to herself.

"Yes, the top students are in Class A, the smallest class on campus. The classes get smaller the further along you go. We have Class B, C, and D. Class A are our advanced children, but of course no matter what class Aimee is sorted into she is still a very exceptional girl."

"Like Japanese schools." Laila blurted out speaking for the first time. "Class 1-A and stuff like that."

Bridgit smiled brightly, "Exactly like that. Since Aimee is a first year she'll be 1-A if she gets in Class A."

"Isn't it a little detremental to the children's self confidence to have them sorted like this?" Isolde said with a frown. Bridgit paused seeming to consider it before she spoke.

"We treat all our students equally and though they are taught at different levels all the basic material is the same and they are not seperated other than that." Bridgit explained and then went back to Orientation. "Now after Aimee gets her test scored she'll pick out her first electives and language course with her home room teacher."

Before Isolde could ask Bridgit explained. "Our students chose their first electives this year then they make final selection in fourth year. We require two other language masteries by the end of their Seventh year besides Latin, which all students are required to take. Home room teachers give their classes special attention and our special mentors to their class members. They will take care of problems that do not need to be referred to me or the other two counselors on staff."

"Now after Aimee gets her schedule she will receive her supplies list. Schoolarship students will go shopping for their supplies imediately after the closing ceremony by the Headmistress of the school. There's no need to worry about money though, Aimee's supplies, room and board, and any necessities she wishes to purchase with her left over stipend are covered by her schoolarship. After this we will return Aimee home." Bridgit said and then with her friendly, puppy-dog smile. "Do you have any questions?"

"Firstly I wish to know how I can communicate with my daughter." Isolde said. "Secondly are there in holidays when Aimee can return home?"

"There is a two week Winter Break and Spring Break." Bridgit said tapping her clipboard with her pen. "As for communication the school is very old fashioned and we do not premit cell phones to be used anytime during school hours. They may be used in the dorms during certain hours, but we prefer the students use the approved means. We use letters and due to a project a Biology student preformed a few years back we have very unique means of delivery."

"Owls." Aimee said softly, making Isolde and Laila look at her amased. Aimee shrugged. "That's what delivered my letter."

It took a few moments, but her family realized that she wasn't joking and the reacted.

"Holy cow poopie! That's awesome!" Laila said eyes wide and looking like she was about to jump out of her skin. "I can't wait for you to write to me."

"Surely that's not reliable." Isolde said looking as if she'd just realized she stepped into an episode of the Twilight Zone.

Bridgit came to the rescue all happiness and confidence. "I can personally assure you that it is and if you don't feel up to this unique system you can send Aimee's letters through the postal service."

Isolde relaxed, but Aimee noted the woman hadn't said anything about Aimee not sending letters via owl. Maybe she wasn't all puppy and no bite after all.

"Now there are two other things we really need to discuss." Bridgit chirped briskly. "The first being the Summer Trip."

Isolde opened her mouth, but Bridgit held her hand up in a let-me-explain gesture and she went silent.

"Every year our school holds a trip during the first of the summer to some place in the world that allows are students to not only be cultural rich, but that allows them to make ties all over the world. Those students who go on the trip are monitered at all times and never, ever out of an adult chaperone's eye sight. The students return on Orientation Day and then spend the remainder of the summer with their families. The school would of course fully pay for Aimee's and with her stipend even allow her spending money. This year our students spent time in Iceland. The year before we were in Scotland and studied ancient Celtics and druids." Bridgit explained making Isolde look very pale.

Connections outside of america could be beneficial. The thought ran through Aimee's mind, but it didn't quite feel like her own. She pushed it away to absorbed in her own wonder to let it bother her.

Aimee's head was whirling with the possibilities. The furthest away from Haven she'd ever been, she didn't count her brief infancy spent in Plymouth since she didn't remember it, was when Laila and her had convinced Benny to take them to Salem to see the cover school. To be able to go places like that awakened a sort of fervent wonder in her she hadn't previously realized she had. Now she understood a little of what people said when they mentioned travel lust. Aimee had never allowed herself to really imagine herself traveling to far away places with so much responsibilities right at home.

Then with a start Aimee realized it wasn't quite the thought of traveling in general that made her long, but of Scotland, druids, and Celtics. For a split second Aimee had a flash a small island next to a misty lake, whose fog was so thick nothing could penetrate it, in the distance was a faint eerie song sung by an achingly familiar voice. The next second it was gone leaving Aimee odddly empty and definitely confused.

"You don't have to decide on the summer Trip now, but we do need the form." Bridgit said dragging Aimee away from the haunting image, she'd missed something, because now Isolde held a piece of paper tightly in her fist. She reluctantly flattened it against the coffee table and aimee saw a bit of the blazened ruby lettering. Field Trip Premission Form. Isolde took the pen offered by Bridgit and signed her signature with a flourish.

"Here Mrs. Twamley. She can go on field trips, but I'm still not sure about this Trip. Aimee's still just a child." Isolde said looking ill at ease with the thought of Aimee going even further away than she already was.

"Of course." Bridgit said, looking so perfectly understanding, her brown eyes looking like warm pools of chocolate. She stood and without any signal Morimoto did too. When she spoke it was delicate and sympathetic. "Shou and I will wait outside while you say good-bye."

With a happy smile (Bridgit) and a respectful nod (Morimoto) the two adults left making aimee realize she was really going to have to leave. It would be her first real step out of the world she knew into this strange foreign world Eason had claimed Aimee now belonged. A world Aimee hadn't wanted to enter, but a place she'd been sent by her mother. It was something aimee longed for with all her being, yet wanted to stay as far away from as possible.

She couldn't though. Her sixth sense was quite plain on that now. She was going whether she liked it or not.

Isolde looked ready to cry and without a word wrapped Aimee in the tight hug and kissed her hair. Aimee returned it without a second thought and for the first time in a long time she remembered, not just in her ind, but somewhere deep inside her, that Isolde was her mother. Aimee tightened her grip and laid her face against Isolde's neck throat feeling oddly tight. Isolde respond by giving aimee a little squeeze and shover her short auburn curls with kisses. When they finally broke apart Isolde had tears in her eyes, but was smiling. Aimee felt odd. Closer to her mother, and reminiscent of a distant memory of waking to eskimo kisses and secret breakfasts of brownies, but very vulnerable and a little cold.

It'll kill me if she abandons us again. Aimee realized and with this disturbing thought turned to find Laila standing and looking at her clearly torn. Aimee could quite clearly see a sort of longing on Laila's ace as if she wanted Isolde to hug her too, but at the same time it was over shadowed by a bitter twist in her mouth and an odd guilt in her wide blue eyes. When she realized aimee was looking though the emotions vanished and were replaced with a vulnerable sort of saddness. Aimee didn't hesitate to grab Laila around the middle and her sister returned the embrace enthuasiastically. Aimee felt something slip into her back pocket, so swiftly and deftly she thought she'd imagined it until Laila whispered, "Buy yourself something nice. Happy birthday."

Aimee's throat tightened even mire and she whispered her thank you so softly she wasn't sure Laila heard. It didn't matter though her sister gave her a tight squeeze and released her leaving Aimee with a sudden, dark sinking guilt.

"Bye." Aimee said. It came out a squeak and she left before they could answer. I should have told her. She thought as she made a trembling way down the hall. It's too late now, but what wil she do when she finds out?

Aimee felt a cold shiver of horror pass through her. What had she done?