Harry Potter - Series Fan Fiction ❯ Amber Sheets ❯ Ah, Potions Class ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Previously on Amber Sheets

Tonks laughed. "From the stories I have heard that wouldn't come as quite a big surprise." Tonks thought for a moment, her finger tapping her chin. "I give you permission to suffocate him in the middle of the night if he bothers you too much."

Remus' mouth opened in mock astonishment, "Tonks! I could never do that! That is way less then he could possibly deserve!"

Tonks laughed, biting her lip against the butterflies fluttering around in her stomach. "Well at least fantasize about it."

"I assure you it would be my pleasure."

Tonks laughed, opening her door and pushing him out. "Now go! I need my beauty rest."

"Someone as beautiful as you doesn't need it."

Tonks blushed and she held her breath, afraid that one of the butterflies flying in her stomach would break free and expose her nervousness, "Goodnight Remus."

"Goodnight Tonks," Remus waved and slowly made his descent down the stairs.

Tonks sighed happily, and hiccuped up a butterfly. For in the wizarding world when you have \butterflies in your stomach, it is much more than a silly expression.

Chapter Two
Ah Potions Class, What Would we do Without Thee?

Tonks stood in front of her dresser mirror, her face scrunched up as she changed her hair. First it was waist length and black, but no, that idea was thrown away, she grudgingly had to admit, she did look like Sirius that way. Then she made her hair shoulder length and electric blue, she liked it but decided that would have been better suited had she been a Ravenclaw. Sighing she settled with short, bright pink hair, and her natural blue, gray eyes. "Well I guess if I had to choose, this look is the one I can stand being with the longest," she sighed.

Walking over to her trunk laying open beside her bed, Tonks looked in and grabbed out her uniform from under a few muggle clothes that had been placed on top. Instead of the cool gray skirt, thick stockings and white button down shirt that she wore in her time, there was a cool gray button down dress that flared out as her skirts had at the waist. It was slightly shorter than what she was used to, but she supposed it would have to do. Tonks had always been a bit more curvier than most girls her age anyway. She pulled on the black thigh-highs adorned with a small gold bow that she had found under the dress on, and slipped into her black sneakers. Grabbing her tie, she threw it over her head and fixed it under her dresses collar. "Hmm not too bad," Tonks murmured to herself. She twisted to the left, the right and then checked herself out from the back. "It's actually pretty cute."

Turning away from her mirror, Tonks clapped her hands together and began to scan her room for what she would need that day. 'Parchment? Check. Quills? Check. Ink? Check. Sunglasses so the teachers have no idea I am sleeping in class? No check, but that would be so awesome. Potions book? Ch-... where on earth is my potions book?' Tonks glared around the room looking for the olive green, black spined potions book she had been given yesterday evening. 'ah, there's the little bugger.' Tonks' expression brightened, and she grabbed the book from the bottom of the stack of textbooks that were leaning precariously on the edge of a large bookcase to the right of her window. Standing on her tip toes, Tonks bit her lip and reached as high as she could. "almost got it... almost got it, ah ha! Victory is MINE!" Tonks' look of triumph turned into a look of pain when the rest of her textbooks bumped her on the head, one by one, "ow, ow, ow, ow, OW. SON OF A FREAKING BRAINDEAD BANSHEE!" Tonks groaned and fell to her knees, her hands clutching her head. Her potions book sat innocently beside her, a symbol of peace and non-violence.

Knock, knock, knock. "Nymphadora?" Knock, knock, knock. "Nymphadora?" Knock, knock, knock. "Nymphadora?" Tonks groaned and weakly lifted herself to her feet, grabbing her potions book on the way up. She threw the book onto her bed and rubbed her head where a prominent bump was beginning to form on the top. Opening her door she was greeted by the bright smile and soft amber eyes of Remus Lupin. Leaning against the wall, his hair gently tussled, his arms crossed in front of his bare muscular chest, dark gray uniform pants running low on his waist, it was difficult for Tonks not to stare at him.

"Ah, morning Remus." Her breath seemed caught in her throat, and suddenly Tonks found it a bit difficult to breathe. Suddenly feeling self conscious, Tonks rubbed her hands down her school dress, inwardly hoping she looked at least half way decent. The abrupt urge she felt to look decent confused her as normally she would throw on any old thing from her floor, put it on, then happily be on her way. "Er, so what brings you to my humble abode?" Tonks was looking at a spot just left of Remus' ear, trying exceedingly hard not to stare as his chest, his strong muscular looking chest, which rose and fell gently with each breath he took.

Remus ran a hand through his hair and shrugged, his cheeks growing a bit red. "I-I thought I would walk you down to the Great Hall." Tonks looked at his face, smiling gently, feeling a bit more confident at his reaction.

"Ah thank you! Just let me get my stuff and we can go." Remus looked relieved at Tonks shoved her potions book into her bag and buckled the brown bag shut. Grabbing her robes from where she had thrown them the night before, Tonks pulled them on and made her way out the door and began to fix her robes, having gotten tangled in the mess from trying to put them on with one free arm. Remus pulled the back down, and her hood out from where it was causing a unsightly bump between her shoulder blades. Finally her robes behaved and Tonks reached down to grab her bag only to notice that it was not there. She looked up at Remus questioningly, and saw that her bag was hanging quite comfortably on his shoulder.

"What?" He asked innocently, shaking his long hair out of his eyes he smiled.

Tonks blinked and held her hand out, "my bag?"

Remus seemed to ponder her question for a moment before nodding, "yes I suppose this is your bag."

Tonks blinked again and held out her hand again, "may I have it?"

Remus shook his head, "nope." Placing his hands in his pockets, he began his descent down the stairs to the common rooms.

Tonks remained there, her hand still out stretched as she watched him walk down the stairs, "but..but..bag?"

Tutting Remus looked back and yelled up, "we are going to be late if we don't get a move on."

Sighing Tonks followed him down the stairs, wondering just what her first day in this new world had in store for her, and silently hoping that it held a lot of Remus Lupin.

o0o

Tonks slumped in her seat in the potions classroom. If the dark interior of the stone cold dungeon wasn't enough to put her into the slumber, the fumes wafting from the cauldron's bubbling happily on the desks sure were. It had nothing to do with the fact that she was bad at potions, that the place made her skin and hair unbearably greasy, and it certainly had nothing to do with her talent of knocking over tables and chairs that were innocently there. No, certainly these things had nothing to do with her sudden exhaustion. What did however was the innocent looking tawny haired boy that sat next to her, scribbling down notes as if his life depended on it. Tonks snorted, remembering the stories her cousin used to tell her at night.

"Yeah Nympha, Remus is terrible at potions! He is so good at everything else, you would never think he could be so bad. But he is." A twelve year old Sirius giggled and nodded his head, "I swear, he found a way to make his eyebrows disappear!"

Tonks chuckled at the memory, "you know. As hard as you may try to take notes Remus, that will not help you when it comes time to make an actual potion." Tonks placed her elbow on the desk and rested her chin on her hand as she watched him, amusement fluttering across her face. "I mean the stories about you are legend." Remus turned bright red, but otherwise made no indication that he had heard her, still writing feverishly on the piece of parchment in front of him. Bored Tonks surveyed her classmates around her as Professor Slughorn continued to drone on about the importance of keeping their eyes and minds focused on their potion. Yeah cause that was going to happen.

James and Sirius had their heads pressed together, Tonks raised her eyebrows, it was obvious the boys were conversing about something completely different then the anti-age potion they will be making in class that day. 'Working on an idea for one of their infamous pranks I suppose.' Shaking her head, Tonks stood up and went to the front of the room, following her fellow students to the ingredients cabinet. Tonks waited patiently at the back of the line, waiting for the others to get their stuff, her feeling it safer for everyone if there was as little people as possible around her as she collected ingredients.

When it was finally her time to collect the potions ingredients, she had just stood there and stared having no clue as to what she needed for the potion. Looking helplessly at the black board she noticed that the notes had already been erased. Picking up a bottle of puss Tonks glanced at it, trying to find out if the lack of puss was because the class was using it, or was just there. A hand reached in front of her and grabbed a bottle of newt eyes, a bottle of cherry stems, scorpion tails, and willow tree leaves. "If you put that in our potion you will kill us all, Dora. Surely one of your extensive expertise in this subject would know that." Tonks blew up her cheeks, and stomped on Remus' foot with the heel of her shoe.

"Ow, meanie! What have I, innocent little Remus, ever done to you!" Remus faked hurt, and reached over her to collect the tools they would need for the potion, "And FYI, just because it is of absolute no help to me when making the potion, taking notes does aid me in not looking like a window licking hamster when getting ingredients." Remus stuck his tongue out at her, and Tonks glared at him, her arms crossed in front of her chest.

"I did not look like a window licking hamster!" Remus pondered it for a moment before nodding in agreement.

"OK maybe not a window licking hamster, but definitely one of those confused puppies that you see with their heads cocked to the side because they cant catch their tails." Tonks stood there shell shocked, unable to think of an appropriate comeback, and watched as Remus made his way back to their seats, arms heavily laden with their ingredients and pointy tools.

"Brooke-lynn, what are you waiting for! Get back to your seat girl and start your potion." Tonks ignored him until she noticed that Slughorn had been speaking to her.

'Ah right, my name is Brooke-Lynn, have to remember that.' Tonks cleared her throat and smiled sweetly at Slughorn, "Terribly sorry, Sir. Just got distracted by all the awesome ingredients in the cabinet." Slughorn grumbled something about students always looking for a way to waste time, and pointed to her seat. Careful of her footing, Tonks made her way back to her seat beside Remus, "Just so you know, Remus. Be sure to look out for your owl, because when I come up with a comeback, and trust me, when I do come up with one it will knock your socks off, I will be sure to owl it to you."

Remus snorted and began mashing the willow leaves, "Hey, split open these scorpion tails and place the excrement in this jar." Tonks shrugged, and grabbed a knife. She gently began to slice the tails in half, and pour the contents into a jar. Or at least that was the plan before the sound of a screaming girl came from behind her and caused her to pour it onto the table.

"Muggle Fucking Troll Shit!" Tonks and Remus turned around to see a shocked Lily Evans with a hand over her mouth, her eyes opened wide in shock.

Slughorn's eyes bulged from out of his head, "Miss Evans! I expect that kind of language from Mr. Black and Mr. Potter, and at times ever from Mr. Lupin," this caused Remus to blush a bit. Remus being total crap at potions was not the only thing he was famous for after all. Tonks snorted and shook her head before raising her eyebrows at Lily. She had never had the chance to meet the girl before her untimely death, but from the stories she heard, Lily never cursed. She was a good girl, who fell for the bad boy gone good James Potter after seven long years of his failing to woo her. "What has gotten into you, girl?"

Lily slowly took her hands away from her mouth, "Professor, I am so sorry."

Slughorn nodded, "Its OK, dear, you are under a lot of pressure with your NEWTS, I understand. Just make sure to not let it happen again."

"I am Sorry Professor," Lily looked down ashamed. She whispered something inaudible.

"What was that, Miss. Evans?"

Lily looked up, "I am sorry, you are such a Blasted-ended skank." Lily slammed her hand over her mouth and shook her head, "Cauldron Bum! I didn't mean to, Professor, I swear! I can't seem to control myself!" Lily threw her hands up in defeat, "Oh Son of a Banshee!"

As Slughorn reprimanded Lily for her language, Tonks took it upon herself to survey the class. As she scanned, she could see that everyone was in shock at the display, that is, except for the two black haired boys behind her. One looked pained, like he was going to die on the spot, and the other. The other was laughing, his laughter only growing as the boy beside him glared at him, promising a very bloody death.

Tonks rolled her eyes, oh she should have known. "What on earth did you guys do to her?" Remus looked at Tonks confused and then realization hit him.

"Wasn't me." Remus shrugged and leaned back on his hands, watching as Slughorn yelled at Lily. "But boy does James look as if he is about to blow. My guess is they both began the prank, but Sirius is the one that slipped it to Miss. Evans." Remus chuckled amused.

Tonks tilted her head to the side, "what on earth can you possibly be laughing about?"

Remus shrugged and pointed, "just thinking about the fact that for once Snape gets a break and still he looks pissed as fuck."

Tonks followed his finger and noticed that indeed Snape looked ready to kill, "EEE. I haven't seen him that pissed since Bill and I blew up half his classroom in third year."

Remus snorted, "Snape's your teacher?" A group of people looked at them weirdly, before rolling their eyes at them and turning back to Lily, who was still cursing.

"SHHH!" Tonks grabbed his sleeve roughly and placed a finger against her lips, "are you freaking insane! Someone could hear you!" Remus shook with silent mirth, and shook his head.

"Sorry, it's just, Snape is a freaking teacher? What? Were all the Dementer jobs taken at Azkaban?"

Tonks covered her mouth and giggled, "that's awful!"

Remus snickered, "ah looks like Lily's being kicked out."

Slughorn had Lily grabbed from the back of her robes and he was bodily dragging her from the classroom. "oh Voldemort's nipple let me go!" Lily fought against his hold.

Slughorn turned and motioned to Sirius and James, "both of you! Take Miss. Evans to the infirmary. And both of you will be serving two weeks detention with me for whatever it is you managed to slip to Miss. Evans." Slughorn studied the struggling, curing Evans in his hands, "though I must admit. What you did is quite impressive potions work and I shall award Gryffindor 30 points for sheer genius. "Now go! Get this girl fixed up before she curses out the wrong person."

James and Sirius each grabbed an arm and dragged Lily from the room, "yes, Sir." Sirius stood in the door, "Sir, I am hurt that you just automatically assume that it was me and James that would do this to innocent, little Evans."

Slughorn crossed his arms and glared at him, "Go Mr. Black, before I make it four weeks detention."

Sirius saluted him and let the door slam shut behind him. "Professor, do you honestly think that it could have been anyone else?"

Slughorn shrugged, "honestly, Parkinson. I couldn't give a Flop doodle."

Tonks and Remus laughed, and turned back to their now ruined potion. Remus felt a tug on his shoulder and noticed Peter looking up at him with big eyes. "Ah sorry, Pete. Whats the matter?"

Peter stood on his tip toes and whispered into Remus ear. Remus laughed and gave Peter a one armed hug, "Peter said, 'Good Afternoon Tonks.'" Tonks laughed as Peter gave a shy little wave.

"Hey Sweetie, good afternoon." Peter blushed, gave a bashful smile back, and went back to his potion happily. Tonks leaned close to Remus' ear, "Why is he unable to speak to me directly?"

Remus touched the back of his head and shrugged, "haven't a clue. He is unable to talk to girls for as long as I knew him."

"Ah."

Remus laughed darkly, "don't worry. We all have our quirks in the group."

The sound of the classroom door opening, caught Tonks' attention and she saw that both boys had returned with an angry Lily in their wake. She watched as Sirius sat down in the left seat, and though it would have been easier for James to take the seat on the right seeing as it what was closest to him, he pushed Sirius off the left seat and promptly sat his bum down on the seat. Sirius looked up at James and crossed his arms childishly from his spot on the floor. James raised his eyebrows and shrugged nonchalantly, "you were in my seat... the left seat is always mine."

Sirius looked to Remus and Peter for help, but Peter just shrugged and Remus mimicked the same gesture. "You should know better than to sit in his seat, what do you think? You're not new you know what a nutcase James is about his damn seat."

Raising her eyebrows again and biting her tongue Tonks turned away from Sirius on the floor, "Wow."

"Yeah," Remus nodded. He banished their ruined potion and began pouring the scorpion tail excrement into the cauldron with the willow tree leaves. There was a bit of bubbling, before the entire potion exploded , spraying them and anyone within ten feet with a rainbow of sticky goo. "They are both bat-crap crazy."

Tonks sighed and wiped the disgusting goo out of her eyes and chucked it at the floor, "Yeah.."

To be continued

NEXT TIME ON AMBER SHEETS;

"She... shes driving me insane! I can't sleep, I can't eat! My whole train of thought revolves around her! What am I going to do?"

Peter watched as his friend paced feverishly in their dorm room. "Well you could be a man and tell her how you feel."

Remus threw his hands up in the air, "are you freaking insane!"

James bit into a chocolate frogs head, before throwing the rest at a seal hugging Sirius. "yeah Pete. I mean going up to her room pretending that an owl miss-delivered her mail is a much better idea."

Sirius bit the leg off the frog and threw it towards Pete, before looking at his seal. "Seth says your attempt at coitus with the new girl is deplorable and you should leave the coitusing to a person who can actually handle it."

Remus blushed, slapping his hand against his forehead. "Oh my god."

Converting /tmp/phpUIAIme to /dev/stdout