Heroes Fan Fiction ❯ Girl in the Painting ❯ Chapter Six ( Chapter 6 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Girl in the Painting
 
Chapter Six
 
The scent of paint media filled her nostrils, and she heard her own laughter softly echoing in the background. She felt strong, rough hands slide up her legs and then lightly trace circles over her stomach. Soft, red satin was pushed aside from her body, and she could feel the cool chill of the room against her nude flesh.
 
“Hey,” she said. “You said this wasn't in the job description.”
 
She heard chuckling, and she squinted up into the warm, yellow spotlight to make out his face. Suddenly, Isaac's voice rang smoothly in her ears.
 
“This is what is called overtime,” he replied in a whisper. And whatever he was doing to her, Claire was definitely enjoying it…
 
--
 
Her tired eyes jarred open to the sound of her cell phone alarm. She blinked several times, staring at the ceiling before she moved awake in her bed.
 
`Did I just have an erotic dream about Isaac?' Claire asked herself in disbelief, mentally cursing herself for her base desires. `Great, you find out one cute guy is your uncle, so then you turn around and start dreaming about the next cute guy that comes along.'
 
Groaning awake, she sat in her bed and rubbed the sleep out of her eyes. She was trying to tell herself that having a dream about her new employer was a bad thing, yet she couldn't be convinced. Isaac was definitely handsome and extremely sweet. It was obvious he would care a lot about a woman, judging by the way he talked about Simone.
 
Her only problem was that he was definitely too old her and still, totally and utterly in love with Simone. He probably wouldn't give Claire one romantic thought.
 
Claire sighed heavily, and she looked out her bedroom window. Birds were landing on the window sill, chirping and then flying off at the slightest sound of movement.
 
Claire looked at her clock again and realized she had gotten up early on purpose. Feeling her blood run cold, she remembered that she was meeting Peter today in Central Park. She was nervous about meeting him - she hadn't seen him in such a long time, and for the longest time, to meet him had been her reason for going on after all that had happened to her.
 
And it really didn't matter anymore that he was her uncle. It wasn't about that. Claire just wanted to feel like she belonged somewhere, and Peter was the first person who made her feel like she wasn't alone - that she wasn't just a freak.
Claire needed to see Peter again because he was in danger, and everyone was concerned for him. She wondered - was he really going to blow up New York? Did Peter have that kind of power? She didn't know the answers; all she knew was that she had to save Peter - save him like he saved her. Maybe she could heal him and stop whatever was going to make him explode.
 
She just had to find a way.
 
After getting dressed and finishing a quick breakfast, she looked around the quiet apartment for Meredith. She went over to her bedroom door, and through the crack she could see her bio-mom still under the covers, snoring loudly. Stifling a giggle, Claire turned around slowly and crept down the hall to the front door.
 
Meredith had her flaws, but Claire was starting to get used to her. And no matter what, her bio-mom was still extremely sweet to her and very open. She was still a bit skittish about living here in New York, especially since her father was basically hiding them from people who wanted to do God knows what with them and their powers. Though, Meredith did seem to be relieved to be living with Claire, and she would catch her mother watching her for lengthy times and smiling affectionately. Claire couldn't imagine what she must have felt like knowing all those years she'd lost her daughter in a fire, only to have her turn up alive and well years later.
 
And Claire surmised, despite Meredith's good nature toward her, the woman still had secrets that Claire was sure she'd reveal in time - if she'd share them at all.
 
She stepped out onto their small porch, and she inhaled the crisp morning New York air. As usual, it was stale and smelled much ranker than Odessa, of course, but she'd get used to it, and she was actually starting to like living in the city.
 
Her mind flashed with thoughts of Isaac and she smiled. Remnants of last night's dream crept into her mind, and she flushed. Shaking her head, she tried to keep her focus, knowing full well that this was not the time for romance.
 
Claire knew it wasn't appropriate, not if there was a disaster on the way.
 
She hailed a cab, and within minutes one arrived and she was riding down the grey city streets toward Central Park. As the cabbie dropped her off to the destination, she eagerly looked around the crowds of morning New Yorkers for a sign of Peter's smooth black hair and dark eyes. It was almost impossible to pick out anyone in the hurried crowd, so she made her way over to a bench where pigeons were gathering around some breadcrumbs. She jumped in a start as crumbs seem to rain from the sky and onto the ground. When she turned around, she didn't see anyone there, but then Claire heard his voice.
 
“Claire.” She could hear him but could not see him. She turned to her right, and then he materialized in front of her. Startled, she leaned back and stared at him with wide eyes.
 
“Peter… how did you?” He could heal and turn invisible too? What else could he do? She licked her lips and stared at him in shock. A crooked smile erupted on his face as he stared at her with his intense eyes.
 
“I'm glad you could come meet me.” He turned his body toward her, and his knee rubbed against hers. She inwardly melted to the touch, and then she had to remind herself again that he was related to her. She wondered if Peter knew about that tidbit too.
 
“Of course,” she replied, looking down at her lap and smoothing out her jeans with her sweaty palms. “I have to go to work soon, but I certainly have time to see you…” She looked up and smiled, her eyes peering deeply into his. “Peter… I've been waiting to see you again for so long.”
 
Peter smiled automatically. “I - I have too, Claire.” They shared a silent moment, just staring at one another and making up for lost time. Claire knew that the first moment she met him there was something special between them, and she'd never before shared such a bond with anyone else in her life. And she had a feeling that Peter felt the same too.
 
“Listen,” Peter said, cutting through their soft moment. “I had to see you again to warn you, Claire.”
 
“I don't understand,” Claire replied, and she put a hand on his arm. “Peter, people are looking for you. Simone and Nathan are worried, and Isaac's says you're in trouble …” Claire noticed the darkness in his eyes when she mentioned Isaac, but then she continued, “Peter… Are you really going to explode?”
 
He pursed his lips, and his face tensed in anger. Was he mad at Isaac? Or himself? “He's right, Claire,” he finally responded. “I…I had a vision. I think I'm going to explode if I don't keep my powers under control.”
 
Claire shook her head. “Why can't you keep your powers under control? How many powers do you have?”
 
He eyed her seriously. “Claire, I can take on any powers that I come in contact with. When I encounter another person like us, I can use their powers and mimic it. Then, it's stored somewhere inside me.” He sighed heavily and then leaned against the back of the park bench, staring out into the crowd. “I'm too new at this, and I haven't figured out how to control it.” He turned to her again and then grasped her shoulders lightly. “But I'm working on it. I've met someone that will help me control it… and hopefully it will work.”
Claire put her hand over his, and she looked at him with a confident smile. “You will, Peter.” And all the hope she'd ever felt for him had come out in her words. “I know you can. And if you need help, I'm here.”
 
Peter smiled and some of the darkness lifted from his face. Suddenly, he crushed her body against his and murmured into her hair. “Thank you.”
 
His touch was warm and far too intoxicating for her not to enjoy. She made herself sick inside gaining such pleasure from having her uncle hold her, and she tried desperately to tell herself that it didn't have to feel like this - that it shouldn't be like this, and that they were all working for the same goal. They would use their powers for good and not hurt people with them. Peter was doing that too, and Claire only wanted to help.
 
And she felt closer to him than anyone, so she knew she had to tell him. “Peter…do you know about me… and Nathan?”
 
Peter froze in their embrace, and he softly pulled apart from her touch. He looked at her curiously. “No… I know you mentioned him, but how do you know my brother, Claire? Did you meet him at Isaac's?”
 
Claire's lip quivered, and she gave her clueless uncle a weak smile. “Peter… Nathan is the one that brought me here to New York with my biological mother…”
 
“Biological…You mean Bennet isn't your real father?”
 
Claire sighed, looking away. She didn't know if she could handle the look in his eyes when she told him. “No…” she stuttered. Then, bravely, she looked up into his face and said, “Nathan's my real father, Peter. You're my…”
 
Suddenly his grip on her loosened and he was putting his hand over his mouth in shock. Claire could have sworn she heard someone say “Bloody hell” in the wind, but then she seemed more focused to Peter's reaction.
 
“I'm sorry… I know you might not believe me and it's a crazy situation, but it's true,” Claire explained, going on as Peter couldn't say anything. “Apparently, my bio-mom and your brother had something going on about 15 years or so ago, and then came me. I was supposed to die in a fire, but with my healing abilities, that didn't happen.” She paused, and then she got a sour look on my face. “My dad - Mr. Bennet - was told to take me in as his own until I was of age, then he was going to turn me back over to whatever company …”
 
“I know what company that is,” Peter responded in a low voice. He turned away from her gaze and looked ahead again. There was anger in his eyes. “It's the same company that tried to kidnap Claude and me a couple days ago.”
 
“Claude?”
 
“He's the invisible guy helping me,” Peter clarified, and Claire gave him a nod.
 
Peter sighed and said, “This is all so … strange, Claire. I had no idea when I went to save you that you were…my niece.” The moniker sounded strange in her ears, and Claire's blood turned cold again.
 
“I know,” she replied. “It's just weird how things work out that way.” She was trying to be positive about it. Hopefully, he would help make the situation easier by moving on.
 
Suddenly, Peter turned to her and took her hand. “Claire, I'm so sorry.”
 
“What… you have nothing to apologize for,” she said, appearing shock. What was he getting at? Peter squeezed her hands, and then he got a far away look in his eyes.
 
“To think… all this time I had a niece, and then I ended up saving her.”
 
“Then, you're not…disturbed by it?” Claire asked. Of course, it would only make sense that she was the only one infatuated here. With that, she really did feel like a freak.
 
Peter laughed a little and then ran his hand through his hair. “I will admit to be a little surprised … and maybe a little bit…um…” He cleared his throat and looked away sheepishly. “Well, let's just say it's probably a good idea I not tell you that last thought.”
 
Claire grinned brilliantly at him, taking in his meaning. Whatever he was getting it, she'd let herself believe that maybe he had a smidgen of the same thoughts she did during their first encounters. `It's the bond; it has to be,' she thought to herself, still believing in that strange bond that they automatically shared.
 
“I'm glad… that you're my niece, Claire.” He smiled affectionately at her and Claire leaned against him, resting her head on his shoulder. “I have another reason to protect you.”
 
Claire laughed a little. She would have loved to stay in this moment for a long time if she had the chance. Finally she said, “Everyone wants to protect me. You, Meredith, Nathan, Isaac…yet I'm the indestructible one.”
 
Quickly, Peter's mood changed, and he peered at Claire seriously. “Claire, you need to be careful of Isaac.”
 
Claire cocked her head at him, eyes wide with shock. “Are… are you serious? I thought you and Isaac…”
 
Peter shook his head. “We've worked together. He was the reason I knew about you, but lately… I'd be careful of him, Claire. I will not deny that he's a good person, but sometimes he can be a bit misguided.”
 
Claire leaned back from him, and she felt strangely betrayed in Isaac's place. It was true she had feelings for Isaac, and even though she was getting to know him, she couldn't believe that he'd have a dangerous bone in his body. He'd seem so noble and kind.
 
“What are you saying?” Claire shook her head. “No, I can't believe it. Peter, please tell me you don't seriously think Isaac could be bad.”
 
Peter bit his lip and didn't answer her right away. “I don't think he'll hurt you, but … I have my reasons. Just be careful.”
 
“I don't think you understand,” Claire told him, and he was shocked by the empowered edge in her voice. “Nathan is the one who entrusted Isaac with me. He got me the job with Isaac. Obviously, your brother trusts him.”
 
“Then Nathan doesn't know,” Peter said automatically, the dark tones swirling in his eyes again. Peter knew something, but Claire was sure he was keeping it from her. What did Isaac do that concerned Peter? And why wouldn't he tell her? “Look, Claire, just be cautious. I know that some strange people are watching Nathan and Isaac, and they're watching my apartment as well.”
 
“People,” Claire answered, appearing confused. “These people don't have anything to do with that man who came after me at Homecoming, do they?”
 
Peter's face blanched, and he furrowed his brow. “Claire… what do you know about him?”
 
Claire's face was painted with fear. “Isaac painted him again, and he was coming after me again. He said it took place only a few blocks away from his studio.”
 
Peter's eyes widened and he gripped onto Claire's shoulders. “Claire, why didn't you say something? You have to get a hold of Nathan now! He needs to get you out of here.”
 
“Isaac wanted me to leave too, but I just had to see you again. I can't leave you alone if you're going to blow up. I need to be here for you,” Claire pleaded desperately.
 
Peter shook his head. “No, I can handle this. I can't let you be exposed to that monster again. Please, Claire… tell Nathan to get you out of New York.”
 
“But…”
 
Suddenly, her phone beeped. She looked down at the caller ID and tensed up. Quickly, she answered it. “Isaac? I know I'm running a little late but…”
 
Peter watched her closely as she talked to Isaac, and he saw her expression turn from worry to dread. Her face paled, and then she looked over at Peter, horrified.
 
“Okay, Isaac, I'll be right there…”
 
Claire slowly brought her phone down in her lap and looked at Peter with sympathy.
 
“What is it? Is something wrong?”
 
“Well,” she hesitated. She had to turn away from his inquiring eyes. “Simone's been missing for a few days. Isaac said he was worried, that he had recently painted a scary portrait of her. When he was finally going to call in and file a missing person's report, the police had already contacted him.”
 
Peter stood up abruptly from the bench, and he stared down at Claire, anxious and worried.
 
“I'm sorry, Peter. They found her body.” Claire swallowed hard and whispered, “She's dead.”
 
Hurt, anger, and sorrow flickered in his eyes as he clenched his jaw. “Then we have to go.”
 
Looking over his shoulder momentarily, Peter grabbed her hand, and then they rushed off to Isaac's studio.