Horror Fan Fiction ❯ Thirteen Mysteries ❯ Beginning ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Rain poured from the sky which was covered in dark gray storm clouds. The lonesome figure went unnoticed as he moved through the crowds of people. Party-goers, rebellious teens, and adolecents who wanted to be "Cool" as the new style demanded. The man snorted as he watched them. They knew nothing of the real world, only that their parents would bail them out.

He knew the truth though. Mom and Dad won't bail you out always. When you're up against something three times as big as yourself, no one can bail you out. But that's why he existed. His purpose in life: to make sure that their lives went uninterrupted. The walls that surrounded the city of Ralin not only kept the city closed in, but the minds of the people living in it closed as well. Drugs had been filtered into the water, letting no man, woman, or child remember what's outside the walls.

He'd never agreed with it, but it wasn't his place to argue with the Superiors. The Superiors were the only ones who survived the attack fifty years ago.

Ring Ring Ring Ring

He reached for the small cell phone. "What do you want?" He answered.

"Jeez, I just called to ask where you were. You don't have to be so cold Rhyne."

"What do you want?" Rhyne asked again, irritated already by the girls shrill voice.

"The Superiors want to see you ASAP. There has been a breach in the north wall."

"How many?"

"Four that we can tell. Maybe more. Jasmine's on her way, so hurry."

"Lily, do me a favor. Be quiet. I'm heading to the north wall now."

"But Jasmine's al-"

"I don't need her help. See you later." Rhyne hung up.

He looked around at the crowds of people and sighed. If only they knew.

>>>>>>>>>>

The north wall wasn't far from where Rhyne was. He made his way down the white cement streets, past the towering white marble buildings. He hated living in the city. It made him feel so abnormal. Their wasn't a lot he could do about it though. The Superiors regulated the gates out of the city.

Rhyne drew his weapon suddenly. The Beretta 92 was cold and made of sleek black metal. Rhyne's enhanced senses were heightened. He could smell the burning odor of a Thirteen, the forgotten species. Rhyne moved carefully down the street. Luckily, there were not as many people here. Only those who had been deemed unfit to live amongst society. The north wall was coming into view.

Rhyne heard the shuffling of footsteps coming from wall. He walked around the corner, weapon raised, ready for an attack. He froze when he saw the blood. A Thirteen was feasting on a civilian. It raised it's head when Rhyne cocked his gun. Rhyne watched the Thirteen in disgust. Thirteens were mutated humans who had been infected by the nuclear attack fifty years ago. The royal family of the country had assumed the radiation would kill them. It didn't. It merely mutated them. Later studies found that it took thirteen days upon infection before you mutated. Hence the name, Thirteen.

The Thirteen screeched and advanced quickly on Rhyne, who shot it in the shoulder. The Thirteen screeched again and ducked into one of the abandoned buildings. Rhyne followed it, keeping up with it. Bluish blood was trailing the floor. Rhyne came to a long hallway. The blood trail had stopped.

"Trying to hide." Rhyne muttered.

He went to the first door and kicked it open. Empty. He turned and went to the next door. He kicked open the door. It too was empty. Rhyne lowered his gun and closed his eyes, filtering out all distractions. His heightened hearing picked up labored, raspy breathing. Rhyne could see a map of the hall way in his mind. Two rooms down. He opened his eyes and stepped back out into the hall. He walked two rooms down on the right side and kicked open the door.

In the corner, crouched behind an old desk, at the Thirteen. Blood was flowing freely from it's shoulder wound. Rhyne had hit the axillary artery. The Thirteen trembled.

"You know you're about to die, don't you?" Rhyne asked it.

The Thirteen screeched, looking around for a way out. Rhyne took a step toward it. The Thirteen lcoked it's black eyes onto Rhyne's green ones. Rhyne raised his weapon and fired. The bullet buried itself in the right temple and the Thirteen died instantly.

Rhyne left the room and went back outside. The human the Thirteen had attacked was infected. He would have to kill it too. He heard a gunshot and rushed outside. Someone else had shot the human. The shooter looked at him. Her violet hair contrasted with her red eyes.

"What are you doing here Jasmine?" Rhyne asked walking over to her.

"I was supposed to come here any way. But you decided to come alone. Again."

"I told the Superiors I don't want your help."

"Like they care. The Superiors don't have time to listen to your petty problems. They have a city to run."

"While we do their dirty work."

"Whatever. They protect us. We just return the favor. You know that if the royal family were still alive, we would have been killed at infancy."

Rhyne looked her in the eyes. "We really aren't as different as they say."

"Yes we are." Jasmine walked past him. "The Superiors want to see you. They're not happy that you disobeyed another direct order."

"You're enjoying this, aren't you?" Rhyne asked, following her.

Jasmine chuckled. "I would give my right arm to see them finally kill you. The only reason they keep you alive is because of you're little gift. Mason seems to think that it's worth keeping you alive."

Rhyne glared at her back. "I wish I knew why they were keeping you alive."

"Because if you go feral like before, I'm the only one who can kepp you in line."

Rhyne didn't answer. He knew she was right. She was the only one who could the monster inside of him locked away.