Horror Fan Fiction ❯ Thirteen Mysteries ❯ Encounter ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
"What happened?"

Jasmine watched Mason pace back and forth.

"Rhyne was compromised. I had no choice but to leave him."

"Damnit! You have altered the situation!" Mason yelled.

Jasmine cowered against the wall. "I- I'm sorry, sir."

Mason hit the wall and turned to her. "Go and get him back, or you'll be the next one to be erased."

Jasmine nodded and hurriedly left the room.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>

Rhyne slowly came back to consciousness. He was in a sort of lab. He tried to sit up, but found his wrists were strapped to the chair he was in. He saw movement and turned his head. There was a man standing against the wall. Rhyne noticed his hand was bandaged. The man had shaggy blond hair and strange silver eyes.


"Sam! He's awake." The man called.

Another man, Rhyne assumed he was Sam, walked in. He was older than them both, with graying hair and a tired face. "Thank you, Damen."

The blond walked behind Sam as the made his way over to Rhyne.


"Good evening Rhyne. My name is Samuel Kane."

"You can't be. I saw a picture of Kane. He's no older than me." Rhyne said.

"The picture you saw of me was taken two months ago. I sent it to the Superiors. I was hoping they would send you here."

"Why?"

"Mortality can be a cruel companion. Only in the youth is there strength. To achieve immortality, you need the blood of the youth."

Rhyne watched as Kane prepped a syringe.

"Then why am I here?" Rhyne asked.

"Because you have already achieved immortality."

"I'm far from immortal."

"True, but you have achieved it in a sense."

Kane walked back to Rhyne.

"You had a very special birth."

"I had a normal birth. My parents were killed by Thirteens, just like the other Invisbles."

Kane sighed and smiled sadly. "Is that what the Superiors tell you?"

Kane slid the needle in Rhyne's arm and took a small dose of blood from him. He turned back away from Rhyne. Kane walked over to Damen.


"Have you apologized to Damen yet?"

"For what?"

Kane chuckled. "For shooting him in the hand."

Rhyne's thoughts began to race. This wasn't making any sense, yet it was making a lot of sense. He had never seen this man Damen before, yet he knew he was familiar. He had never shot any human before. Rhyne thought for a moment. The only thing he attacked, was-


"He's a Thirteen!" Rhyne realized.


"That's right." Kane pulled Damen's arm out to him. He injected Rhyne's blood in to him. "And you Rhyne, are the cure."

>>>>>>>>>>

The house was dark, only lit by the lightning outside. Not knowing what to do, the small boy went through the house looking for his parents.

"Mommy?" He called in a small voice.

Only silence greeted the small boy. He walked down the hallway to the stairs, quietly stepping down them. The wood floor was chilled beneath his small barefoot feet. There was nothing in the dark dining room. Moving past the chairs, he made his way into the living room. He looked around before stepping into the room. He could still hear nothing. Worry edged at the boys mind. Did they leave him there alone? suddenly, the slipped on something wet and crashed to the floor.

He sat up, wincing. He looked at the floor and held up his hands. His light blue pajama's were now covered in...red water?

Rhyne jerked awake. He sat up quickly, looking around the small room. That's right, he was with Sam and the Thirteens. He ran his hand through his hair. It had been awahile since he'd had any nightmares about the night his parents had died. For some reason though, it felt different.

Rhyne swung his legs over the side of the bed and stretched. He had to admit, he wasn't as nervous as he thought he'd be. The supposed Thirteens weren't as he had imagined. Rhyne found himself recalling his dream again. He hadn't seen any Thirteens in it like before. Then again, the only time he could recall the memory was when his sub-concious pulled it forth in his dreams. Other than that, it seemed locked away while he was awake. It frusterated him to no end.

A knock on his door brought Rhyne back. A girl poked her head in. She gave him a wide smile.

"Follow me."

Rhyne walked in step behind her. "Who are you?" He asked.

The girl looked at him over her shoulder. "My name's Gedinia."

Rhyne nodded slowly. The girl giggled and turned back around. She had short hair that was an unnatural blood red. It didn't match her dark skin and dark eyes. Rhyne kept to himself as she led him down hallway way after hallway. Finally, they arrived in a large circular room. As they entered, Rhyne felt several eyes upon him suddenly. Tensing up, he walked behind the strange girl to a table in the middle of the room. A large muscle bound man stood behind it.

"Nice to meet ya finally. Been waitin' to get a hold a' you." He said.

"And you are?"

"Malik. I'm the Geneticist around here."

"Wait, Malik Dresden?"

"Yep."

"You were banished from the Mainstream for illegal experimintaion on humans. What the hell makes you think I'm going to let you stick me with a needle?!"

Malik grinned. "Because I've thirty Thirteens here willin to hold ya down fer me."

Rhyne looked around. Sixty eyes matching thirty faces watched him in anticipation.

"I know you're good, but not good enough to take on thirty Thirteens at once." Gedinia smirked.

"Face it buddy, they wanna be cured. And you are tha' cure. Now, let's make this easy on e'rybody here, and stick out yer arm." Malik said, picking up a syringe.

When he didn't, Malik cleared his throat, and Rhyne felt everyone in the room tense up. Not wanting a fight he'd probably lose, Rhyne stuck out his sleeveless arm. He didn't watch the needle, but felt the sting in his arm. Had he just handed himself over?