InuYasha Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Just Another Story ❯ Chapter 4 ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

 
Chapter 4
 
Kagome felt an arm slip around her shoulders in a comforting manner and she looked up into Atsuko's warm eyes. Allowing her self to become a small child once again, Kagome snuggled into her stepmother's warm embrace as she allowed the tears to flow free down her checks.
 
Atsuko comforted the crying teen to the best to her abilities and realized that she had made the right decision on allowing her to stay with them. She couldn't image her little Kagome like this with anyone else.
 
Holding her closely, Atsuko rocked Kagome gently back and forth as the teen continued crying.
 
Kurama felt more than a little out of place with the two women in front of him and was more than happy when he heard Yusuke and, what sounded like, Botan yelling as they moved down the hall from the front door. Finding them more interesting then the scene in front of him, he decide to listen in on they were saying.
 
“Botan, you can't be here!” Yusuke shouted. “And besides, I'm on vacation, we all are!” He stated in a matter-of-fact voice.
 
“Yes, but-” Botan started to yell back.
 
“Anyways, who gave you the right to barge in here like you own the place!?” Yusuke asked. Kurama could hear their footsteps coming closer.
 
“I'm sorry but-” she tried explaining again, only to get the same results as last time.
 
“No! No sorrys, just go! I have enough to deal with right now. I don't need to explain why the ferry of death is in my house too.” With that, Yusuke tried pushing the ferry girl back towards the door, but he only ended up grapping his head.
 
Botan, who had just then materialized her trusty oar and gave him a good whack him over that empty head of his. “For your information, Yusuke, I'm not here to give you a job assignment nor bug you or anything like that, but that can easily be arranged if you would like?” She didn't wait for an answer before she continued. “I'm here to talk to your sister about something.” Her voice hadn't held the cheerfulness it always did as she said the last part and that scared Yusuke and Kurama both.
 
Yusuke let the blue-haired ferry girl pass him as he continued to rub the bump that was forming on his head while mumbling a few curses under his breath.
 
Kurama and Yusuke watched as Botan walked over to where the women perched on the couch. They saw Kagome look up and smile softly through her tears - and to everyone surprise - Botan returned the smile but also bowing deeply.
 
“Lady Priestess, may I please have a private word with you?” Botan questioned, as she kept her head bowed.
 
They watched Kagome look over the being in front of her, as if searching for something. After a second she finally stood, untangling herself from her stepmother. “Of course…” She motions for her to straighten.
 
“Botan.” The ferry girl filled in for the Priestess as stood straight.
 
Kagome nodded and gave another smile as she tried to wipe the tears off of her tear stained face. “Where do you which to speak to me at? I just got here, so I'm afraid I don't know this place very well.” She let a sad giggle escape her that was followed by a sigh.
 
“The roof. Only Yusuke and Kuwabara go up there so everyone else stays clear of it.” Botan explained as they headed for the door, Kagome in toe. “Plus, there's a nice cool breeze and the view is nice. And I just love heights…”
 
“Botan shut up!” The two girls heard Yusuke yell as they opened the door. “You're giving me a damn headache!” Before anymore could be yelled by either Botan or Yusuke, Kagome shut the door on them.
 
Seemingly realizing what was about to take place, Botan blushed rubbing the back of her head. “Ah, sorry about that…”
 
“It's not a problem, I just don't want to listen to it right now. Any other day but not today.” Kagome's voice sounded tired as they made their way towards the elevator. She aloud Botan to enter first, then followed, pushing the button that would take them to the roof.
 
“That's understandable,” the grim reaper replied as she looked down at the floor. “What I need to speak to you about may seem a little farfetched and unbelievable, but I just want to assure you that everything I tell you is going to be true.” Botan's voice was serious and her pink eyes were filled with a mixture of determination, sorrow, and hope.
 
Chuckling quietly, Kagome replied, “Trust me, Botan. The farfetched and the unbelievable are not so farfetched and unbelievable when you have lived the life that I have, in addition too whom I am speaking with.” Kagome didn't allow the startled fairy to ask question, for the door to the elevator opened, reveling the roof. Stepping out of the elevator, Kagome immediately got down to business. “Now what is it you wish to speak with me about?”
 
“Your family. They haven't died yet,” Botan answered.
 
“Are you sure? But that officer…” The priestess trailed off, going over what this all meant. How could the police find a body of a person who was still alive and the death fairy even said so, Kagome questioned. Easily, it was a trick! An illusion of sort!
 
“Of course I'm sure, Lady Priestess. I never collected their souls and… there was a note.” Botan was unsure how Kagome was going to react upon reading the letter that had been left. She just hoped she wasn't anything like her brother and rushed into things without having some sort of plan.
 
“What note?”